Other games thread

Edmonton Saint

53 minutes ago, igsey said:

Good to see United reverting to the old "if you can't beat them, spend as long in the box with the ball trying to draw a penalty as possible" tactic. 11 pens this season, we've had 2.

To be fair, with VAR, any that are clearly not a penalty would get overturned, as we saw this evening. And Man United spent a long time in Spurs' penalty area this evening because Spurs spent the entire second half defending as if they were a non-league team defending a fluke 1-0 lead against a Championship side, camped in their own penalty area and just booting it 50 yards away every time they won the ball back. Kane was clearly nowhere near fit, it's ridiculous that so many managers decide he has to play every minute of every game, and then act surprised that he keeps getting injured.

It was a soft pen, VAR doesn't over turn soft pens because they are not obvious mistakes. I mean for such a strong player that Pogba supposedly is, he went down super easily. A bit clumsy from Dier, but not an obvious foul IMO, I bet if that had been out of the box Pogba would have kept going and not gone down. 

I could easily see that not being given for smaller clubs against bigger clubs, which I think is the point, VAR might clear up blunders, but it can't do much about the refs going like 60-40 on decisions to certain clubs, when they are more 50/50. 

16 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Haha! Hope West Ham get relegated.

They've got Spurs and Chelsea next, and have to play 3 of the relegation threatened side's as well.  Could be difficult to get points in that scenario so they might struggle to stay up.  They've also got United away and Burnley at home, not easy. 

2 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

I'm sure everyone was saying that when Bournemouth get all their players back fit again (i.e. when David Brooks gets back fit again), they'd fly up the league and clear of safety. They have been absolutely abysmal here so far :uhoh:

Brooks has been head & shoulders above the rest of them.