Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

It's going to be massively contentious whatever happens, but unless a way can be found to complete the season I think it has to be declared null and void.

It would be ridiculously unfair to call today's position the final status. Some teams near relegation have much harder run-ins than others. It's no surprise West Ham want annulment (although I guess they would take today's position too).

Yes, Liverpool, Leeds West Brom would be understandably livid and I'm pretty sure the lawyers would have a field day.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Fully agree.

As for prize money, if the league isn't concluded, just divvy it all up with the same amount being paid to all 20 teams - just to give those at the top even more to complain about.....

if that was the case they would have a huge decision to make in terms of cancelling this season altogether, freezing the tables as they currently stand or extending the season. They could probably extend it until mid June but any longer? They can’t delay the new season - IF the health situation is ok again - because that would impact the (probably) re-arranged Euros next summer.

Obviously the health issue is most important, nobody can argue that surely, but for the governing bodies it’s gonna be a nightmare when we can return to normality as to what action they take.

There is no chance of returning to normality until a vaccine has been developed, fully tested and produced in large enough quantities to vaccinate the whole population. We are looking at 18 months minimum. Until then people who contract and recover from the virus may be more cavalier in their attitudes but people who have escaped infection will remain curious and still be self isolating or social distancing. Sadly there will be no quick end to this.

They might do 4 and 4 the following season

It might work, currently the National League is still playing, so the Champions come up and the EFL is back to 72 clubs. Everyone one else stays put. I see Karen Brady is clamouring to null and void the season. I wonder if that has anything to do with Whams current league position, and the fixtures they still have play.....?

I can’t see most of the Premier League clubs being happy with 5 going down in one season. Perhaps two lots of four. Tough on clubs like Fulham. What happens with promotions in lower leagues?

fair shout, League 2 for example normally has 3 up automatically into League 1. It is very tight at the top of League 2 at present. Same for League 1 playoff spots.

If any team is rewarded for their current league placing, it will cause chaos

fair shout, League 2 for example normally has 3 up automatically into League 1. It is very tight at the top of League 2 at present. Same for League 1 playoff spots.

If any team is rewarded for their current league placing, it will cause chaos

As tough as it is for the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and WBA, I really don’t see how how anything can be based on an incomplete season. If you don’t cancel the season there is no fair way to sort out promotions or relegations. The League Cup should stand as the competition ran to completion.

They were discussing the potential delay in completing this season on the radio, and the impact of playing into the summer delaying next season.

Made the point that clubs are going to financially suffer now with no gate receipts, plus the uncertainty over next season will damage season ticket sales, what division are you buying for? When will it even start?

Give it a few weeks to see how things pan out but got to be looking at abandoning this season then just starting again in August.

My suggestion is;

- if no improvement by mid-April abandon the league. No titles or promotion / relegation

- aim to start pre season in mid July but ban overseas tours, clubs to play a number of lower league clubs to help raise funds for them.

- start season as normal, same fixture list.

I can’t see most of the Premier League clubs being happy with 5 going down in one season. Perhaps two lots of four. Tough on clubs like Fulham. What happens with promotions in lower leagues?

Me either, can't really see all teams feeling fairly treated when only just over half the season has been completed and still plenty of time to move up and down the table... can hand Liverpool the title and then declare the rest void... And can't see Leicester agreeing to finishing 3Rd when they are looking more likely to finish 2nd than city are...

Only way to settle it is to split all equally, abandon the season, and wait till virus has cleared / gone, vaccine or what ever then plan for a new season, no one knows how long thn this will go on for do no point in delaying it for an unknown period just so liverhampton can have the long awaited league win.

Me either, can't really see all teams feeling fairly treated when only just over half the season has been completed and still plenty of time to move up and down the table... can hand Liverpool the title and then declare the rest void... And can't see Leicester agreeing to finishing 3Rd when they are looking more likely to finish 2nd than city are...

Only way to settle it is to split all equally, abandon the season, and wait till virus has cleared / gone, vaccine or what ever then plan for a new season, no one knows how long thn this will go on for do no point in delaying it for an unknown period just so liverhampton can have the long awaited league win.

Leicester aren't catching City - virus or no virus.

Leicester aren't catching City - virus or no virus.

And Watford are not beating Liverpool 3-0 and Liverpool won't go crashing out of the champions league.. Football is always full of the unexpected and Leicester are only 4 points behind a deflated, unhappy city team who I bet have players already packing bags looking for a new club....

And Watford are not beating Liverpool 3-0 and Liverpool won't go crashing out of the champions league.. Football is always full of the unexpected and Leicester are only 4 points behind a deflated, unhappy city team who I bet have players already packing bags looking for a new club....

Just a thought...

If this season is scratched would the City European ban have to be extended?

Regarding concerns over legal actions etc. if the Government called a National Security (like the US), it gives them almost limitless powers to do whatever they want without any consequences. Fully appreciate this is a football (FA etc.) decision at this stage but they will enlist Government support before making major decision.

Sorry Liverpool but you hadn’t clinched it.

Montreal Expos looked set to win the baseball one year but season was cancelled due to a strike. No winners that year. Expos fans are still complaining about it.

They shouldn't be awarded the title, but we could do something to show good will and lessen the disappointment a little. I don't know...maybe a certificate or something

xGMPXmw

Whats-App-Image-2020-03-14-at-19-44-41.jpg

small-dog-breeds

Wouldn't want an odd number in the league.

That has happened in the past. Back when the decision was taken to reduce the old first division from 22 to 20 clubs there was a season (87-88) when there were 21 teams so every weekend one club wouldn't have a game

That has happened in the past. Back when the decision was taken to reduce the old first division from 22 to 20 clubs there was a season (87-88) when there were 21 teams so every weekend one club wouldn't have a game

A wonderful season: Liverpool won and Portsmouth relegated.

I think all this talk about finishing this season in September , playing Euros in December etc is all wishful thinking . They will just have to bite the bullet and abandon this season including no promotion or relegation or champions , cue lots of whinging .............. We are cursing booking tickets to USA in advance !!!! (Not football related).

Edited by East Kent Saint

I think all this talk about finishing this season in September , playing Euros in December etc is all wishful thinking . They will just have to bite the bullet and abandon this season including no promotion or relegation or champions , cue lots of whinging .............. We are cursing booking tickets to USA in advance !!!! (Not football related).

when are/were you due to go?

I wonder if it might be easier to postpone Euro 2020 to 2021 and compress next season rather than cancel this one, based on the fact this season is 3/4 completed and next season can be started with a set of rules that sees everyone on the same playing field. Also it prevents what would be an absolute siege of legal action should the league be cancelled.

E.g.

Each division split into two with a final between the two topping each table at the end of the season (For the PL two leagues of 10, which can remove between 10-19 games depending on how you set it up). You can restrict promotion and relegation to automatic only to compensate for the reduced season.

League Cup Semis reduced to one leg only.

No replays in the FA Cup.

Champions League and Europa League drop their group stages and just go straight to knock outs from the Round of 32.

All as a one off with normal service resuming in the 21/22 season. That could give this season up until August to restart (behind closed doors if needs be, with time for clubs to prepare a thorough set of quarantine criteria to reduce chances of getting the virus / containing the virus).

I feel like a right anorak, but I genuinely think this would be the better way forward, even if we miss the humour of nature denying Liverpool a title.

I wonder if it might be easier to postpone Euro 2020 to 2021 and compress next season rather than cancel this one, based on the fact this season is 3/4 completed and next season can be started with a set of rules that sees everyone on the same playing field. Also it prevents what would be an absolute siege of legal action should the league be cancelled.

E.g.

Each division split into two with a final between the two topping each table at the end of the season (For the PL two leagues of 10, which can remove between 10-19 games depending on how you set it up). You can restrict promotion and relegation to automatic only to compensate for the reduced season.

Champions League and Europa League drop their group stages and just go straight to knock outs from the Round of 32.

All as a one off with normal service resuming in the 21/22 season. That could give this season up until August to restart (behind closed doors if needs be, with time for clubs to prepare a thorough set of quarantine criteria to reduce chances of getting the virus / containing the virus).

I feel like a right anorak, but I genuinely think this would be the better way forward, even if we miss the humour of nature denying Liverpool a title.

There's some logic to that. My thoughts are that a compressed season won't wash because of the need for games for TV contracts. Its an interesting approach though, and I guess what's the lesser of 2 evils from a legal perspective - risking litigation by abandoning this season, or finishing it as soon as it can safely happen and fudging next season. On balance I think abandoning this season and starting the 2020 / 2021 as near to the usual time, and using the laid out framework if possible, is less risky.

E.g.

Interesting, but I fear riddled with problems.

Many players' contracts end June 30th. Some clubs could lose several players. And are season-long loans extended?

What about all the ground maintenance needed in the Summer? And other bookings for stadia?

And I'm not sure how you can fairly split one league into two.

Many players' contracts end June 30th. Some clubs could lose several players. And are season-long loans extended?

What about all the ground maintenance needed in the Summer? And other bookings for stadia?

And I'm not sure how you can fairly split one league into two.

Undoubtedly there are some challenges there, but it’s about going with the lesser of two evils.

I think the League could push the transfer window back and clubs might need to renegotiate contracts / loans, although might not be able to do much if players and agents have other plans.

Non essential Ground maintenance may have to be postponed for a year, but I don’t really have an answer for anything more urgent.

The League split is interesting, I had a look at dividing between North and South, but the North side of the League would be disproportionately stronger, so I think it would have to be based on finishing positions this season e.g.

League A: 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16, 17, 20.

League B: 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19.

They would play their own league twice (18 Games) and the opposing League once (10 Games), for 28 Games overall. The league leaders would advance to a one off final and the two 10th place sides would be relegated, with no play offs in the Championship.

Cancelling the current season removes the transfer and ground maintenance issues, but they will have to square the lost TV matches with Sky, BT and overseas broadcasters, as well as facing heavy legal action by clubs negatively affected e.g. Liverpool, either sides that get relegated or miss out on promotion.

So I guess either route has big problems, they will have to decide which is the least disruptive.

In reality I think the professional season might be finished behind closed doors, with clubs establishing a strict set of rules to try and prevent further illness e.g. players and their families sign up to only travel between work and home, with food and supplies provided by the club. Something along those lines.

It depends how long all this goes on for. The best solution IMO would be to finish the league this year, have a shorter summer break with no Euro and start next season late but cancel both domestic cup competitions. That should free up enough space in the calendar for an extra 8-9 league games with a few midweekers thrown in.

On a personal level, is null and void for the season our best outcome? What happens to the goals Ings has scored for instance? Would they count against his career tally or be wiped? Besides stats, I can’t see a bad side for Saints, it’s not like we were that close to relegation. Are we screwed financially?

Leeds not going up would be very funny, but my mate is a Fulham fan and he’d be ****ed off if they missed their chance for promotion.

Personally my guess is the Leagues will be finished, just much later in the year. Then maybe skip next season and reset everything ready for the 2021-2022 season.

I don't see a way other than voiding it. Yeah it's harsh but this season is a mess. Delaying it makes lots of subsequent seasons a mess too.

You can't relegate teams now as plenty of sides rally late on to stay up. Even if you give Liverpool the title, it's not going to be remembered as a proper league season now. Genuinely if I were them, however tough it is, I'd want the first title in all those decades to be a proper full season. Keep the side together and they'd probably win it next season anyway.

It's most harsh on Leeds/West From but there we go, it's just football. Wouldn't be such a problem if it hadn't become all about money rather than sport.

Agree with all this. Good post.

If they want to curtail this season now then how about the current top 2 going up from each division, no relegation and Liverpool keep on playing their fixtures behind closed doors until they are mathematically certain champions. They'd probably get them in 2-3 games.

If by some miracle Liverpool didn't get the points then the premier is null and void.

Next season is a 22 team premier with 5 relegated.

I've also wondered what becomes of the transfer window in the event this season ends in June/July, as players have tended to move 1st June. Perhaps it becomes a transfer fortnight.

Shouldn't affect us though as we tend to look to ties up deals on the last day.

I don't see a way other than voiding it. Yeah it's harsh but this season is a mess. Delaying it makes lots of subsequent seasons a mess too.

You can't relegate teams now as plenty of sides rally late on to stay up. Even if you give Liverpool the title, it's not going to be remembered as a proper league season now. Genuinely if I were them, however tough it is, I'd want the first title in all those decades to be a proper full season. Keep the side together and they'd probably win it next season anyway.

It's most harsh on Leeds/West From but there we go, it's just football. Wouldn't be such a problem if it hadn't become all about money rather than sport.

Spot on. Giving Liverpool the title means picking other winners and losers when nothing has been mathematically decided. End it here and start next season as near to the usual start date as is safe.

On a personal level, is null and void for the season our best outcome? What happens to the goals Ings has scored for instance? Would they count against his career tally or be wiped? Besides stats, I can’t see a bad side for Saints, it’s not like we were that close to relegation. Are we screwed financially?

Leeds not going up would be very funny, but my mate is a Fulham fan and he’d be ****ed off if they missed their chance for promotion.

Personally my guess is the Leagues will be finished, just much later in the year. Then maybe skip next season and reset everything ready for the 2021-2022 season.

Yes, probably a good idea. Also the chance to consider starting future seasons in March and play football through the summer months until October. Howls of protest from cricket and tennis fans but the prospect of better more skilful football and more comfortable spectating for fans

I am already in isolation (as my location shows) but I really miss my football. This is the best part of any season as we approach the end and everybody is doing their permutations. Each game becomes crucial including those of other teams as they affect us. I miss the agony and ecstasy on each match day.

Suspension is the right thing to do at the moment. I just don't see an end to it though. I would hate for us to be in the bottom 3 at the moment but my best guess is that this season will be voided unless games are played behind closed doors. But that would assume all players being fit and available. I can't see the FA Cup Final ever being played so thank you Sin Heung Min.

Most teams have 9 matches left?

Although far from ideal, I guess this could just about be squeezed into a 3-4 week window if Euro 2020 is cancelled.

Those logistics aren't too bad. You might even truncate it if some matches become irrelevant for anythign meaningful beyond actual finishing position (e.g. Saints v Sheff Utd might well be a dead rubber, in which case don't play it).

Problem could well be the logisitics in arranging this, not the will. If UK is basically locked down for a couple of months, how bad is the deterioation of pitches, how unfit are the players, how fast can they gear up ticketing, stadium safety etc?

The June 30th contracts ending for some players is also a legal minefield - might teams with somethign to play for sign a ringer just for a month etc?

Spot on. Giving Liverpool the title means picking other winners and losers when nothing has been mathematically decided. End it here and start next season as near to the usual start date as is safe.

I bet you wouldn’t be saying that if we were 25 points above 5th and pretty much guaranteed our first ever Champions league place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bet you wouldn’t be saying that if we were 25 points above 5th and pretty much guaranteed our first ever Champions league place.

There's gotta be consistency Mr Duck. If you give Liverpool the title do you say Norwich are gone and relegate them, and say nobody will will catch West Brom so send them up? It's either abandon the season or finish it.

But yeah, I'd be fecking annoyed if we were in Liverpool shoes.

I think there's nothing wrong with allocating European places based on current standings. That's the only way to do that, assuming the season doesn't finish.

That's a qualitatively different thing from awarding a team a trophy they haven't won or relegating a team with a quarter of the season left.

They should give Liverpool some sort of award / certificate, allocate the European positions for next season based on current standings, void the rest of the league, void the FA Cup and any other incomplete cup, the League Cup stands.

The only exception would be that if a team has mathematically won a league title already they can be awarded it.

There's gotta be consistency Mr Duck. If you give Liverpool the title do you say Norwich are gone and relegate them, and say nobody will will catch West Brom so send them up? It's either abandon the season or finish it.

But yeah, I'd be fecking annoyed if we were in Liverpool shoes.

Agree, it’s got to be either one or the other - Either everything stands or nothing. Can you imagine the riot Leeds fans would start if they gave Liverpool the title but didn’t promote them. There’s no line in the sand here, so who decides what is definitely/probably/maybe going to happen in the last 2 months of the season.

I feel that no matter when, that the season should be finished. Sure it may overlap next season but we have the intelligence I should hope to be able to arrange next season for when it is possible to start. It might even mean next summer being used to finish next season but a small price to keep the game alive.

Liverpool deserve to be named as champions.

Lower tier clubs will face going under if we don't do something to help them as well if this season is cancelled.

The wrong choice now could well destroy the game if we aren't careful.

Football won't restart for weeks now, in my opinion. The way forward is to call the season now. Positions based on average points to allow for the teams that have played less games. No relegation from this season, promote top 2 or 3. Next season bottom 5 or 6 relegated to get divisions back in sync. Next season play all teams once then spli league, top and bottom half and play each team in group once. If Europe goes ahead next season (it might not) then positions in unfinished season count as normal. Liverpool are crowned Champions. Some reworking of position based prize money might be sensible to compensate for teams being disadvantaged by early finish. FA Cup to be played at beginning of next season.