Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

Without wanting to turn this thread into a political mud wrestle, you can be fairly confident a conservative PM isn’t going to sit there and let over 70s die if he can help it.

lol yeh, that is basically their core vote.

willbe getting confirmed in the next hour or so, all games behind closed doors, rumoured til the end of the season.

Schools shut for 4 weeks as of monday.

What they seem to be forget IMO is that players, staff and managers can get it too look at Gabbi I read a Prem team has 3 players being tested.

Follow La Liga cancel all for 3 weeks and judge then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Italy are literally going to let their over 70’s die. Meanwhile Boris is still sitting here doing absolutely nothing, who’d have thought.

Just cancel the season, some things are more important.

What can he do, its not going to go away until we have all been exposed, a vaccine is a year or more away, we can't lock down for a year, we'll all perish anyway.

Quite, which is why I’m baffled to his reaction so far. It’s better to overreact then under react where public health is concerned.

What should he do? This is a pretty insignificant issue being utterly blown up.

He is keeping normal function society going for as long as he can, to stretch the issue out till the warmer weather arrives and kills this flu.

A massive amount of work is going on within government departments just so you can feel better about yourself when the time comes to work from home for a couple of weeks

He is keeping normal function society going for as long as he can, to stretch the issue out till the warmer weather arrives and kills this flu.

Sorry Bats you are completely out to lunch on this. Flu is short for Influenza caused by an influenza virus (of which there are many subtypes), Thus is a completely different virus. Coronvirus. Viruses survive extremely well inside our cells at 37 degrees C so "warmer summer months" will not kill this or any other virus.

Much higher temperatures are required.

What can he do, its not going to go away until we have all been exposed, a vaccine is a year or more away, we can't lock down for a year, we'll all perish anyway.
You can catch it more than once so even once we've all been exposed it could go round again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You can catch it more than once so even once we've all been exposed it could go round again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Unlikely. You should have natural immunity to it after having it. Unless of course thus virus is rapidly mutating, which I don't think it is.

Sorry Bats you are completely out to lunch on this. Flu is short for Influenza caused by an influenza virus (of which there are many subtypes), Thus is a completely different virus. Coronvirus. Viruses survive extremely well inside our cells at 37 degrees C so "warmer summer months" will not kill this or any other virus.

Much higher temperatures are required.

It's not a case of higher ambient temperatures killing the virus. In warmer weather people tend to spend more time outside and are more widely separated. Also UV light is a good sanitiser.

A massive amount of work is going on within government departments just so you can feel better about yourself when the time comes to work from home for a couple of weeks

It's not insignificant and it's not flu. Wise up. Read the reports coming out of Italy. You might be OK with it, I might be, but a lot of people with underlying issues are extremely susceptible and will die. Try considering others.

You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Read more often, it does you good.

Without wanting to turn this thread into a political mud wrestle, you can be fairly confident a conservative PM isn’t going to sit there and let over 70s die if he can help it.

Except he can't. We've got less than half the number of intensive care beds that other nations in Europe have, a low number of doctors per 1000 population and in Italy they are already having to triage on the basis of who will benefit and has got most years left. My aged parent with issues won't stand a chance.

You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Read more often, it does you good.

An astronomical amount of work is going on to to lead the country to the Delay phase of this thing. The later the better. Better for the NHS, better for society, better for the economy.

It is quite remarkable considering very very few people have died in this country over this. I reckon more people have been stabbed to death on London over the same period.

All to make sure the country carries in as best possible, when the slow down happens and we can all moan!

Edited by Batman

I gave up at ‘flu’ and ‘warm temperatures’

I never knew cooks in the Navy were privy to the highest of talks, but you’ve proved me wrong.

No idea what you are in about and you have no idea what I do for a living (or where). Let’s stop with the childish swipes? Yes?

Literally the PM just announced ‘it’s nothing like flu’.

That was a figure of speech from me, in that we are all not going to die. We are all not even going to get it. Many who get it will be perfectly fine.

Carrying on until the country is ready to move into a delay phase is absolutely correct. That is what we are doing.

It's not a case of higher ambient temperatures killing the virus. In warmer weather people tend to spend more time outside and are more widely separated. Also UV light is a good sanitiser.

UV light is good but it has to be in the correct wavelength range to be effective.

I have a background in microbiology so I know quite a bit about this.

That was a figure of speech from me, in that we are all not going to die. We are all not even going to get it. Many who get it will be perfectly fine.

Carrying on until the country is ready to move into a delay phase is absolutely correct. That is what we are doing.

Poor figure of speech then as there are multiple influenza subtypes that are lethal.

Fair enough. I guess we’ll see if our way or the way of Italy, Spain, Ireland, Denmark et al is correct.

Why should the fans lose out when many stretch themselves to be able to attend games yet the fat Cat clubs don't? You seem a very strange human being.......

There are people dieing around the world, and you’re worried about maximum a couple of hundred quid. Who’s the strange human being :lol:

Having listened to the PM. I will be amazed if we finish the season. All games will be postponed / cancelled come the end of the month. And rightly so, IMO.

After Norwich Saturday we don’t have another game for 3 weeks (4 weeks for St Mary’s) so Saints have timed this quite well and were sensible getting knocked out of the FA cup when we did.

My snap dragon is a band 7 and they had an emergency meeting in her hospital today. It’s grim, really grim. Not going to get into the ins and outs of it, or any arguments, but from what they’ve been told there’s absolutely zero chance the season will be completed.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Breaking news on the BBC: "The UK government is considering banning sporting fixtures amid the coronavirus outbreak - but it will not happen immediately."

Not sure if that will include leagues like the Dockyard League or Southampton Commercial, where the crowd is a man walking his dog, the odd girlfriend or parent and a couple of mates who pop by for 20 minutes..

Its extremely unlikely but if the eventual outcome is that they cancel this season, would that mean that all results/statistics from this season would be nullified? E.g our 9-0 defeat...

Can you imagine! Liverpool don't win the title but our 4-0 win against the fish fiddlers will stand because that competition reached its conclusion.

My snap dragon is a band 7 and they had an emergency meeting in her hospital today. It’s grim, really grim. Not going to get into the ins and outs of it, or any arguments, but from what they’ve been told there’s absolutely zero chance the season will be completed.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect they will try and hold off as long as possible, until as many positions are sorted.

Personally, I think they’re delaying the inevitable. Cancel the season, start afresh next year. No promotion, no relegation etc.

Life is more important.

UV light is good but it has to be in the correct wavelength range to be effective.

I have a background in microbiology so I know quite a bit about this.

Understood.

Sunshine has a minor effect and UV sterilisation is normally reserved for locations devoid of humans, as I understand.

I suspect they will try and hold off as long as possible, until as many positions are sorted.

Personally, I think they’re delaying the inevitable. Cancel the season, start afresh next year. No promotion, no relegation etc.

Life is more important.

Does this mean that liverpool would not win the title either?

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Life is more important.

Are you unbelievable Jeff on another account?

Most people can't just work from home.

They will just be behind closed doors. If there is no crowd there is no reason the government would stop a game happening.

I've read about bans on mass gatherings in various areas that range from 250-1000, even without a crowd there wood be a significant number of players, staff, security, etc. inside a stadium.

Understood.

Sunshine has a minor effect and UV sterilisation is normally reserved for locations devoid of humans, as I understand.

That's right. UV is usually used when chemical (bleach, alcohol, peroxides etc.) and physical (high temperature and pressure) cannot be used. A good example is a computer keyboard. You'd wreck it with chemicals or high temps so a 20 minute zap with short wavelength UV is the decontamination method of choice.