Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

Good to see self interest coming before obvious common sense.

Championship clubs ‘to sue’ PL after secret meeting

Six Championship clubs reportedly held a secret meeting on Monday at which they discussed plans to sue the Premier League if they are denied promotion.

Several Premier League clubs have mooted the suggestion that the season is declared null and void, but that would obviously leave Leeds United and other clubs in the Championship.

According to The Times, representatives of Leeds, West Brom, Fulham, Brentford, Nottingham Forest and Preston met on Monday ahead of a conference call involving all 24 clubs on Tuesday.

https://www.football365.com/news/championship-clubs-sue-premier-league-coronavirus

Why is it 'common sense' to accept missing out on hundreds of millions of pounds?

Reports of problems with the mobile networks. Clearly the next stage in the process - can't be anything else - lining us up for the big switch off.

Population in lockdown; mass gathering stopped; communication soon to be switched off. It's time: they're coming. Aliens and lizards I presume.

(Nurse...take me back to my room!)

I work in the industry and can confirm there have been several issues over many mobile and landline networks globally - nothing sinister however, just that networks were sized for a certain (theoretical) capacity and now that limit is being stressed (as people use remote communications much much more in these times - working from home etc.), and in some cases the capacity planned cannot be met (bad design, wrong assumptions etc.). Certainly my company is working flatout to increase capacity but with several staff out it's not easy. Relax, there's no big brother conspiracy - at least on this one!

Good to see self interest coming before obvious common sense.

Championship clubs ‘to sue’ PL after secret meeting

Six Championship clubs reportedly held a secret meeting on Monday at which they discussed plans to sue the Premier League if they are denied promotion.

Several Premier League clubs have mooted the suggestion that the season is declared null and void, but that would obviously leave Leeds United and other clubs in the Championship.

According to The Times, representatives of Leeds, West Brom, Fulham, Brentford, Nottingham Forest and Preston met on Monday ahead of a conference call involving all 24 clubs on Tuesday.

https://www.football365.com/news/championship-clubs-sue-premier-league-coronavirus

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

EPL change the rules. 20 members no relegation therefore EFL no promotion.

Imagine being an elite footballer and the game just doesn't happen for a year or two. Nightmare in what's a short career.

Although when the game restarts properly in 2027 I imagine Zlatan will score the first european goal.

I'm sure they won't worry too much with the money still rolling in, think more of the other staff of the club who will be being laid off as we speak.

I'm sure they won't worry too much with the money still rolling in, think more of the other staff of the club who will be being laid off as we speak.

Money from where? If sky ain't getting a product the sky money stops flowing. If the punters don't get footy, the sky subscriptions stop.

Perhaps one good thing will come out of this - the hideous wages of top professional footballers might come to an end. So what if it's supposedly a short career - other sectors in society have no guarantees either. If the clubs are not receiving any revenue then the players will have to take a pay cut. They can't go anywhere else in the world right now so for once the clubs have the upper hand.

Money from where? If sky ain't getting a product the sky money stops flowing. If the punters don't get footy, the sky subscriptions stop.
The players will still be getting paid though, that's the reason clubs will be worrying so much

Imagine being an elite footballer and the game just doesn't happen for a year or two. Nightmare in what's a short career.

Although when the game restarts properly in 2027 I imagine Zlatan will score the first european goal.

I’m sure the careers of millionaire footballers is high up on people’s list of concerns.

No chance of finishing the season in reality then if this is anything to go by.

A commitment to complete all domestic and European club competitions by the end of the current sporting season, i.e. 30 June 2020 at the latest, should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough.

No chance of finishing the season in reality then if this is anything to go by.

A commitment to complete all domestic and European club competitions by the end of the current sporting season, i.e. 30 June 2020 at the latest, should the situation improve and resuming playing be appropriate and prudent enough.

Heads stuck firmly in the sand.

Being a bit deaf I haven’t heard any company directors saying they will cancel their bonuses until the crisis is over , in fact I heard some of them were rushing to protect them ha ha ha .......
What companies? As a director of a company myself, I'll be paying all the staff before I get anything and I'll probably be the lowest paid staff member like I was last year.

What companies? As a director of a company myself, I'll be paying all the staff before I get anything and I'll probably be the lowest paid staff member like I was last year.

Yep. I think a lot of director level people in real world companies won't see anything for some time. In fact, many will put cash in to keep things afloat and keep the staff paid.

Yep. I think a lot of director level people in real world companies won't see anything for some time. In fact, many will put cash in to keep things afloat and keep the staff paid.
Yep. I reckon about 200k of debt at least for me if this is three months but at least with the announcements today the staff will get paid which was my biggest worry. Most small and medium businesses care deeply about their staff in my experience.

I've just been put on 3 day week on reduced pay. I know i'm lucky to still have a job (for now) but i wont cover my direct debits at this rate. I know everyone is in the same boat, but seriously, what the **** is going on here??? The seasonal winter flu kills many thousands every year without all this hysteria.

I've just been put on 3 day week on reduced pay. I know i'm lucky to still have a job (for now) but i wont cover my direct debits at this rate. I know everyone is in the same boat, but seriously, what the **** is going on here??? The seasonal winter flu kills many thousands every year without all this hysteria.

Not remotely to the same numbers in the UK as what they are projecting for this...

The modelling projected that if the UK did nothing, 81% of people would be infected and 510,000 would die from coronavirus by August.

The mitigation strategy is better, but would still result in about 250,000 deaths and completely overwhelm intensive care in the NHS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51915302

Whilst I'm genuinely sorry to hear that, people need to wake up to what this is. The leaked report last night said that the best case scenario would be 250,000 deaths. Quarter of a million, if we're lucky. If we're unlucky, feck knows how many. This ain't flu - drastic means / drastic measures.

Meanwhile, back on football. The Euro conference today seems to have come out with proposals totally at odds with reality.

The prospect of restarting football and completing all competitions by June 30 is surely unrealistic, unless clubs are prepared to risk cross-infection of players and staff and play behind closed doors.

In fact it sounds like desperation to me. I actually wonder if this episode is going to change the face of football radically. At the top level, either this season or next is going to be massively disrupted. TV will be unwilling to pay for a reduced programme. The transfer market could well be stagnated. If income is significantly reduced, there is going to be a severe reality check for those on the ever-expanding gravy train. This bubble had to burst some time, and this could be the time.

But I'm far more worried about the impact on the lower tiers. Any significant break is going to bankrupt a significant number of clubs unless they get support from the FA. Would the Premier League spread its riches to keep grass roots football afloat? I doubt it. Their self-interests know no bounds.

I don't think we'll come out of this with football ever the same again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Meanwhile, back on football. The Euro conference today seems to have come out with proposals totally at odds with reality.

The prospect of restarting football and completing all competitions by June 30 is surely unrealistic, unless clubs are prepared to risk cross-infection of players and staff and play behind closed doors.

In fact it sounds like desperation to me. I actually wonder if this episode is going to change the face of football radically. At the top level, either this season or next is going to be massively disrupted. TV will be unwilling to pay for a reduced programme. The transfer market could well be stagnated. If income is significantly reduced, there is going to be a severe reality check for those on the ever-expanding gravy train. This bubble had to burst some time, and this could be the time.

But I'm far more worried about the impact on the lower tiers. Any significant break is going to bankrupt a significant number of clubs unless they get support from the FA. Would the Premier League spread its riches to keep grass roots football afloat? I doubt it. Their self-interests know no bounds.

I don't think we'll come out of this with football ever the same again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I don't think we'll come out of this with anything the same to be honest. Life as we knew it is gone. That includes football.

Whilst I'm genuinely sorry to hear that, people need to wake up to what this is. The leaked report last night said that the best case scenario would be 250,000 deaths. Quarter of a million, if we're lucky. If we're unlucky, feck knows how many. This ain't flu - drastic means / drastic measures.
Sorry this is utter horse****e. This is worst case scenario. Get a grip.

I am just starting (hopefully) to get over this horrid virus and while obviously dangerous for the old and people who have medical conditions for most it is an annoyance.

And yes, flu and cancer kill far more people than this virus. It is virulent and aggressive but some context is needed.

The hysteria both sides of the pond is getting ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am just starting (hopefully) to get over this horrid virus and while obviously dangerous for the old and people who have medical conditions for most it is an annoyance.

And yes, flu and cancer kill far more people than this virus. It is virulent and aggressive but some context is needed.

The BBC report talks about 510,000 UK deaths as a worst case, measures may keep it to 200,000 deaths

Whoa big man, it ain't my story!

August 2020

Link and quote is in post #582

Have you actually read your own quote? 510000 is figure for doing nothing, 250000 is under the mitigation strategy. Thankfully, they’ve seen sense and changed to try and suppress the spread, hopefully keeping deaths to 20000.

Ministers are now seeking to suppress the spread completely - hoping in the process to keep deaths below 20,000.

Have you actually read your own quote? 510000 is figure for doing nothing, 250000 is under the mitigation strategy. Thankfully, they’ve seen sense and changed to try and suppress the spread, hopefully keeping deaths to 20000.

Yes fully aware of that. If you read my post in context it was replying to people thinking there has been an overreaction. 510k deaths with no action and 200k with mitigation shows just how serious it is. 20k with other measures us still horrendous but that isn't what my original post was addressing.

Utter bull****.

Utter bull****.

What that this isn't flu and that drastic means needs drastic measures? The actions of numerous governments, and the £330bn bail out today, and the freeing up of 30,000 hospital beds, suggests it's properly fecking serious.

If you mean the numbers, I was referring to last nights leaked report. Don't shoot the messenger pal.

It's really not rocket science is it? Generic influenza has a vaccine every year that anyone of us can take up. I have it every year as I have sh*t lungs and am in the 'at risk' group. Anyone that doesn't have the vaccine that should have it is a moron.

This strain of Coronavirus has a) no vaccine yet and b) a ridiculous period where people can spread it around without showing symptoms.

The NHS will be f**ked if everyone like me (and the elderly) get it. This is sudden and unprecedented, certain people need to wake up and realise that for the next 6 months, life is a little different. I'll happily volunteer to be a vaccine guinea pig, but until the point that is available, I'm hiding.

It's really not rocket science is it? Generic influenza has a vaccine every year that anyone of us can take up. I have it every year as I have sh*t lungs and am in the 'at risk' group. Anyone that doesn't have the vaccine that should have it is a moron.

This strain of Coronavirus has a) no vaccine yet and b) a ridiculous period where people can spread it around without showing symptoms.

The NHS will be f**ked if everyone like me (and the elderly) get it. This is sudden and unprecedented, certain people need to wake up and realise that for the next 6 months, life is a little different. I'll happily volunteer to be a vaccine guinea pig, but until the point that is available, I'm hiding.

My former collegue caught Coronavirus 10 days ago and is now between life and death under a respiratory aid. He is 58 and has not past illness issues.

People need to wake up to the fact that it doesn't target only older people or people with existing illnesses.

50% of people in intensive care in France are under 60.

Stop minimizing it and take it seriously.

My former collegue caught Coronavirus 10 days ago and is now between life and death under a respiratory aid. He is 58 and has not past illness issues.

People need to wake up to the fact that it doesn't target only older people or people with existing illnesses.

50% of people in intensive care in France are under 60.

Stop minimizing it and take it seriously.

My post was meant at Davefoggy.

The fact that Tory and Republican governments in the UK and US are taking this seriously should be all you need to know. Under ordinary circumstances, those ****s wouldn't wipe their butts to avoid a few thousands unnecessary deaths. Spanish flu killed millions, so the idea that this could kill hundreds of thousands, if not more, is entirely within reason.

It should be obvious by now that this is the big one. Once people get over how heartbreaking and tragic the suffering is going to be. Start doing a mind game with the economy. The world will not be the same when this is all over. We're moving into a 1-2year war economy as it is. But so many industries will be wipe out in the next 2 months, let alone 5 months or a year of this.

The BBC report talks about 510,000 UK deaths as a worst case, measures may keep it to 200,000 deaths

Do you mean you actually believe the most skewed bias unreliable, anti government, anti Uk news outlet on this planet?

Their news last night on this was scarrily laughable and people are buying into them, it’s scandalous.

Do you mean you actually believe the most skewed bias unreliable, anti government, anti Uk news outlet on this planet?

Their news last night on this was scarrily laughable and people are buying into them, it’s scandalous.

In your mind what is the logic? That the BBC are deliberately inventing a high death rate to pwn the government?

Tens of thousands of people die of flu each year, despite there being a flu vaccine

:mcinnes:

The BBC report I link to is quoting Sir Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser to the Government!

Tens of thousands of people die of flu each year, despite there being a flu vaccine

I don't know the numbers but it's irrelevant. Corona ain't flu. Corona has no vaccine thus nothing to stop the spread / impact on the vulnerable. We know how to manage / treat flu. This is new.

Frankly I'm getting fed up with all mention offlu. It's about as relevant as mentioning gout or toothache.

Many people are blind to the magnitude of this situation.