Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

The league isn't going to get finished it just needs to be voided. Next season might not even happen if this goes on into spring 2021 as some experts are suggesting.

The economic impact of this is going to effect pretty much all of us so even when football does start again who knows if I will even be able to afford it anymore.

So strange how this has gone from something happening on other side of the world, that I wasn't really worried about, to holy crap this **** just got real now people at work are self isolating and the economic impact on my employer has come sharply into focus.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

If they can’t fulfil the fixtures behind closed door I would:

1. Hand Liverpool the title

2. Relegate Norwich

3. Give the European spots as is.

4. Promote Leeds

5. Pay the basic prize money to each PL team and instead of giving £2mill odd per place hand the rest of the cash out as compensation to teams who got a rough deal ie: West Brom, Norwich and the others who missed out on promotion or Europe.

6. Finish the cups at the start of next season

If they can’t fulfil the fixtures behind closed door I would:

1. Hand Liverpool the title

2. Relegate Norwich

3. Give the European spots as is.

4. Promote Leeds

5. Pay the basic prize money to each PL team and instead of giving £2mill odd per place hand the rest of the cash out as compensation to teams who got a rough deal ie: West Brom, Norwich and the others who missed out on promotion or Europe.

6. Finish the cups at the start of next season

I assume you're joking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Not really fair on Liverpool, they have effectively won the league.
Sometimes life isn't fair. I've got nothing against them but they haven't won the league.

It's like a game being abandoned because the floodlights fail after 75 mins when you're 7-0 up. You don't get awarded a win.

Sometimes life isn't fair. I've got nothing against them but they haven't won the league.

It's like a game being abandoned because the floodlights fail after 75 mins when you're 7-0 up. You don't get awarded a win.

Na ****** to that. Whilst it is hilarious that their nob head fans miss out on a party they do deserve it.

The only other position that is, on the balance of probabilities likely, is Norwich going down so I would send them down with sizeable compo and give the top team in the championship a lucky promotion.

Na ****** to that. Whilst it is hilarious that their nob head fans miss out on a party they do deserve it.

The only other position that is, on the balance of probabilities likely, is Norwich going down so I would send them down with sizeable compo and give the top team in the championship a lucky promotion.

As I said, any sort of ad hoc one-off solution simply isn't happening. No legal basis for it. No precedent. Although awarding the league to Liverpool on a unanimous vote of all other clubs is perhaps a slim possibility.

Try to promote Leeds or relegate Norwich and the legal actions will fly in.

All emergency services will no longer support outside events so I think that's it as far as sport is concerned. Forget the self interest lives are being lost. Just void the season and start again whenever this is all through. I'm pretty sure the EPL etc won't be in a position to decide anything as it will be taken out of their hands.

As I said, any sort of ad hoc one-off solution simply isn't happening. No legal basis for it. No precedent. Although awarding the league to Liverpool on a unanimous vote of all other clubs is perhaps a slim possibility.

Try to promote Leeds or relegate Norwich and the legal actions will fly in.

I don’t think you can make an exception for one club.

Have to admit, Saints being stuck in mid-table, relatively poor performances, and terrible home form this season are making it a little easier to deal with the lack of football.

Not to mention that whichever decision is made about finishing the season isn't going to have much effect on Saints, apart from when we start playing football again.

Teams with stuff to play for must have fans climbing the walls by now.

I tend to agree with you, but what if Leicester and Man City formally conceded?

I thought that. It would be gracious of them to do that and if so that's different, but no way can the fa or premier league be selective.

Wonder if coronavirus will affect my house purchase.

Funnily enough - actually extremely unfunnily enough - I’m wondering the same. Exchanged about a month ago so no pulling out. Was considering paying full purchase price and not having mortgage - something I can just about afford to do - now worried about being out of work and and having nothing to fall back on. ****s sake just as things finally getting on the up after 3 tortuous yrs of Brexit this has to happen.

I was thinking today, lets say for instance you're a terrorist group...why bother strapping yourself with dynamite and heading to a city centre. Wouldn't it be easier to just get one of your members to contract Coronavirus & make sure your saliva ends up on every city centre doorhandle. The virus will never recede, you will be undecectable & Britain will be paralysed for eternity. Chilling.

I was thinking today, lets say for instance you're a terrorist group...why bother strapping yourself with dynamite and heading to a city centre. Wouldn't it be easier to just get one of your members to contract Coronavirus & make sure your saliva ends up on every city centre doorhandle. The virus will never recede, you will be undecectable & Britain will be paralysed for eternity. Chilling.

If someone had told me 3 months ago that in 2020 a crazed Jihadi will be rampaging around Woking, licking pensioners faces, I probably wouldn’t have believed you.

I really can’t see this season being completed. Null and void.

- league positions as are, nobody relegated.

- top 2 teams in championship, L1,L2 and national league promoted.But not as champions, no trophies.

- leagues have extra 2 teams but 4 go down following season for 2 seasons.

based on what exactly??

A guess based on a vaccine taking at least a year. If this goes on until the end of the year then next season would probably be scrapped, which would leave it until the spring to resume this one.

Many clubs would go under, but so will innumerable businesses. Think 1929 level of a cluster****.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong.

:lol:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220301145

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTi-g18ftNZUMRAj2SwRPodtscFio7bJ7GdNgbJAGbdfF67WuRJB3ZsidgpidB2eocFHAVjIL-7deJ7/pub

This sounds really promising, could massively reduce the impact we're looking at at the moment.

TLDR: Existing anti-malaria drug that's cheap and easy to produce seems to be effective in both preventing and treating COVID-19, but it's too early to tell for sure just yet.

IF it's effective it's considered safe, but relatively easy to overdose, so would require professional administration.

ISIS issued travel advice against going to Europe.

Can’t see the point of completing this season if and it’s a big if , it will ruin the next 1 or 2 seasons .

Whatever the football authorities decide some clubs are going to miss out and others gain. Either way I think all the leagues in Europe need to agree to do the same thing.

You can’t have one league being declared nul and void and a league in another country being completed and another league in another country not finishing the league and taking the table as it stands.

Football wise the bigger issue is some ( a lot) clubs are going to go under if this continues for a few months which will probably make the decision for the football authorities for them unfortunately.

Outside of football a lot of businesses are going to go under , people will lose their jobs if this continues for weeks / months.

The world needs to find a solution / cure for the virus very soon .

On the Sky Sports debate tonight they were really emphasizing that this season will be completed.

The squeeze will come on a future season instead where a 'half season' may be played instead.

A leaked government report yesterday said they expect this situation to carry on until next spring so next season is probably a bust to and you can hardly re-start this season in 12 months time.

The season cannot be completed and should be made void.

It will not stop the scouse media cheerleaders harping on that is 'must be' completed, no matter what.

followed by a campaign to 'award' liverpool the title (and nothing else up and down the pyramid).

On the Sky Sports debate tonight they were really emphasizing that this season will be completed.

The squeeze will come on a future season instead where a 'half season' may be played instead.

The Sky Sports debate is nothing but vested interests.

Not that I was around I’m 1939/40, but this is very much the phoney war stage of the virus. In a week or two, when fatalities increase many fold, perhaps they will realise, as Kopp said himself, there are more important things than sport.

Without the emergency services and the present restrictions regarding gatherings travelling etc the season can't be completed whatever Liverpool and the plethora of ex Liverpool pundits are lobbying for. Restrictions aren't going to get easier until this is over.

I personally don't give a stuff about football and what vested interests want to happen, people are seriously ill and dying. Void the league and start a new season whenever the conditions allow normal life to resume. Football and what it wants really isn't important. When football eventually restarts all those alive will be thankful they got through this crisis unscathed.

Without the emergency services and the present restrictions regarding gatherings travelling etc the season can't be completed whatever Liverpool and the plethora of ex Liverpool pundits are lobbying for. Restrictions aren't going to get easier until this is over.

I personally don't give a stuff about football and what vested interests want to happen, people are seriously ill and dying. Void the league and start a new season whenever the conditions allow normal life to resume. Football and what it wants really isn't important. When football eventually restarts all those alive will be thankful they got through this crisis unscathed.

Absolutely this.

Football not really important at the moment.

If they can play the rest of this season they should if they can't then it should be void.

It's not going to be fair on everyone whatever happens, but I don't think you can finish a season halfway through when no-one knows what might have happened in the last few weeks of the season...It can only be void.

Will certainly be interesting to see what happens, but something will have to give next season...possibly the cups don't get played next year to incorporate the busier league schedule.

Edited by Saint Garrett

Of coursde the season can be completed. They can simply grant an indefinite extension until all fixtures have been completed. The only issue there is players contracts ending in June but a simpe football wide edict that all contracts will be extended until as and when all current seasons are completed could cover that.

The more difficult problem is how to fit next and subsequent seasons into whatever timeslots are available to them

Of coursde the season can be completed. They can simply grant an indefinite extension until all fixtures have been completed. The only issue there is players contracts ending in June but a simpe football wide edict that all contracts will be extended until as and when all current seasons are completed could cover that.

The more difficult problem is how to fit next and subsequent seasons into whatever timeslots are available to them

All contracts will be extended is rather dangerous for various team who are looking to shift Hugh earning players who are at the end of their company tract this summer. Some lower league clubs could and will fold if they are forced to hold on to players for an extra year.

All contracts will be extended is rather dangerous for various team who are looking to shift Hugh earning players who are at the end of their company tract this summer. Some lower league clubs could and will fold if they are forced to hold on to players for an extra year.

Even that is easy to overcome. A club can sell if they wish after 30th June if they need the financial income to survive but player can not play for new club till the new season starts.

As thiongs stand at the moment I can't see any point in planning for a new season with absolutely no idea when it will be able to start (if at all). Better to finish this season whenever able to do so then cross that bridge of the next season once that time comes. It might end up with 20/21 not even happening at all, but a season not taking place is preferable to one getting 75% completed but not finishing.

Even that is easy to overcome. A club can sell if they wish after 30th June if they need the financial income to survive but player can not play for new club till the new season starts.

As thiongs stand at the moment I can't see any point in planning for a new season with absolutely no idea when it will be able to start (if at all). Better to finish this season whenever able to do so then cross that bridge of the next season once that time comes. It might end up with 20/21 not even happening at all, but a season not taking place is preferable to one getting 75% completed but not finishing.

Aside from whether you'd be able to sell a player that can't play anywhere else, why should a team suffer not having a full strength team because the terms they started the season under have changed?

Next season is a problem for next season, regardless of that there's no way of fairly ending this season.

Do you think many clubs will be willing to buy players during an indefinite period of suspension? Can’t see it. There won’t be many deals done until this has passed. Bad summer to be a free agent.

There is some suggestion that a version of the Coronavirus will be with us again next year so the current situation may repeat itself

It also seems to me that if suitable medical staff and police are not able to cover big sporting events how can events progress?

It doesnt take much to imagine chaos on the streets if certain clubs supporters are allowed unrestricted access.

In such circumstances you can see away support being banned

On a humourous note, even at a sombre time like this. My son in law has just sent me a photograph he took at an Aldi this morning. A couple going into the shop wearing plastic shopping bags over their heads with eye slits cut. Whatever works for you.

Reports of problems with the mobile networks. Clearly the next stage in the process - can't be anything else - lining us up for the big switch off.

Population in lockdown; mass gathering stopped; communication soon to be switched off. It's time: they're coming. Aliens and lizards I presume.

(Nurse...take me back to my room!)

Reports of problems with the mobile networks. Clearly the next stage in the process - can't be anything else - lining us up for the big switch off.

Population in lockdown; mass gathering stopped; communication soon to be switched off. It's time: they're coming. Aliens and lizards I presume.

(Nurse...take me back to my room!)

Yeah, that makes sense, I mean suddenly having a huge number of people self isolating as much as possible couldn't possibly lead to increased load on communication networks.

A leaked government report yesterday said they expect this situation to carry on until next spring so next season is probably a bust to and you can hardly re-start this season in 12 months time.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they did try and restart this season even if it was 12 months down the line, if that’s how long it took.

I imagine they would be far too afraid of the legal repercussions of cancelling this season.

Good to see self interest coming before obvious common sense.

Championship clubs ‘to sue’ PL after secret meeting

Six Championship clubs reportedly held a secret meeting on Monday at which they discussed plans to sue the Premier League if they are denied promotion.

Several Premier League clubs have mooted the suggestion that the season is declared null and void, but that would obviously leave Leeds United and other clubs in the Championship.

According to The Times, representatives of Leeds, West Brom, Fulham, Brentford, Nottingham Forest and Preston met on Monday ahead of a conference call involving all 24 clubs on Tuesday.

https://www.football365.com/news/championship-clubs-sue-premier-league-coronavirus

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk