Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just to add a bit of flavour to this, he was linked with us back in Feb as a potential 'summer' addition.

https://readsouthampton.com/2020/02/20/southampton-fans-react-to-milot-rashica-links/#:~:text=Southampton have been linked with,release clause of €38m.

feels incredibly far fetched though. 

I remember that, mate.  Problem is, didn't Villa back off because he was too expensive? (Moneybags Villa).

50 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

175k a week 😳 already Im getting a feeling of billy big balls about him. Not a mission we would be looking to make anything permanent about it either. Would rather we loaned or bought somebody who could be a longer term option for us

We haven't yet shifted carillo, forster, hoedt, Boufal etc so I'm happy with a loan and hopefully we will be in a better position next year. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8802461/Chelsea-pay-Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-100-000-WEEK-leaves-loan.html

"Chelsea 'could still pay Ruben Loftus-Cheek £100,000-a-WEEK even if he leaves on loan' amid Southampton and Aston Villa interest with midfielder out of favour under boss Frank Lampard"

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Fair to say there probably won’t be an option to buy :) 

Irrelevant if there was, we can't afford his wages. No way should we be signing him. His attitude is poor, we're paying to develop someone else's player, and the last thing we need is a double agent for a top club showing bednarek, JWP, ings etc what easy money they could be getting. Definite pass on RLC. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8802461/Chelsea-pay-Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-100-000-WEEK-leaves-loan.html

"Chelsea 'could still pay Ruben Loftus-Cheek £100,000-a-WEEK even if he leaves on loan' amid Southampton and Aston Villa interest with midfielder out of favour under boss Frank Lampard"

Villa literally can’t sign him. 

• Like 1

Really hope we get Rlc in

could be the difference that has us really competitive and challenging for Europe .

surprises me people would be ok with a arsenal youngster on loan but not Rlc, he is top draw and would come streight in a one of our best players if only for the season.he was great for palace 

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Really hope we get Rlc in

could be the difference that has us really competitive and challenging for Europe .

surprises me people would be ok with a arsenal youngster on loan but not Rlc, he is top draw and would come streight in a one of our best players if only for the season.he was great for palace 

got West Ham all over this one I think.

8 hours ago, trousers said:

How on Earth is RLC on £175k/week...?

The world is more bonkers than I'd imagined....

It’s how Chelsea get players to sign new deals. They give them big wages, loan them out and part fund them when out on loan. Then hope they improve/have good season so they can then sell them. It’s how their model works, stockpile players - loan them out and then sell some each year to then fund first team players 

54 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Yeah got that feeling too. But spoke to my West Ham supporting friend about this and he was like”I don’t know why you think we will get loftus we are after defenders”

I actually think we would be exactly the type of club that Lampard would like to see us join as well, they want him to come out get game time and we are a club with a decent reputation for developing young players. 

If we can get past it’s only for a season this can be a huge win for all parties 

7 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

But spoke to my West Ham supporting friend about this and he was like”I don’t know why you think we will get loftus we are after defenders”

They have been after them for years! Still they buy attacking players though.

8 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

175k a week 😳 already Im getting a feeling of billy big balls about him. Not a mission we would be looking to make anything permanent about it either. Would rather we loaned or bought somebody who could be a longer term option for us

Was good on loan at Palace. Don't really get why he would be a "Billy big balls" certainly not his fault Chelsea offered him that.

He's not going to be like nah mate just give £100 a week and lifts to games, then we're sound.

12 hours ago, Chewy said:

Vesti doesn’t have a long term future here, Bednarek will go next summer (Imho) and Stephens still lacks in pace and positioning so we might be looking for further cbs I guess?

Not at the moment. And I disagree about Vestergaard

This is what I think will happen on the last day.

RLC will come to us if the team he wants to join (maybe West Ham) don’t come forward with a better deal for Chelsea to accept.

Ralph will have plan B which is another squad player from a EPL team. (Who knows but I fancy the Liverpool squad player)

We will also sign another winger but he will be one mentioned in the past and he will fly in on Monday to complete the deal.

Going out is pretty obvious Boufal,  and that shit defender plus the likes of Sims and Hesketh.

Overall a happy transfer window as we will have 4 good players to come in and improve our squad.

25 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest I've not see enough of RLC at palace or chelsea to see really where he plays, can he fit in our system or is he a top of the diamond type midfielder.

I do know he is not worth 175k a week anywhere though, his agent pulled down chelsea's pants down hard.

In a interview he says his best position is a box to box cm. he can also play left or right or as a classic ten.

what I like about him is along with a huge frame he has extremely quick feet great dribbling and is pacy too, saw some Chelsea fans saying how can a big man like him dribble like hazard

6 goals and two assists from his 24 palace games 

I really should stop getting excited about this one but I can’t helo it :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Ok based on that youtube am sold 100%

Final question would be where would he play for us assuming we stay with the 4-2-2-2?

Would it be him and Diallo in midfield ? would he take over Redmond or Armstrong's slot etc ?

Redmomd or Armstrong I am presuming. Trying not to get too excited about this but think he would be an excellent addition. And if we got him on an option to buy next summer, awesome. 

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Final question would be where would he play for us assuming we stay with the 4-2-2-2?

Would it be him and Diallo in midfield ? would he take over Redmond or Armstrong's slot etc ?

I think he’d more likely be competition for Redmond and Armstrong as can’t see JWP not playing and presumably Diallo will partner him. 

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Redmond or Armstrong’s place, I would have thought. He’s naturally a no10

worth remembering that we don’t actually play a traditional winger. They’re more wide 10’s, dropping into space and feeding the strikers. 

should we play 3 in midfield, he’ll play slightly deeper I expect. 

Probably more similar to Armstrong than redmond, but offers us something we don’t currently have. Strength and power on the ball and that little bit of creativity. 

2 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Redmomd or Armstrong I am presuming. Trying not to get too excited about this but think he would be an excellent addition. And if we got him on an option to buy next summer, awesome. 

When Armstrong is out we look poor down that side I think he would be ideal as long as he doesn’t upset the rest 173k a week!!

Ok cool thought it was more likely to be the redmond/armstrong role.

Now if we had Djnepo on the left in the crazy unpredictable role (mane light) and RLC in the baller disciplined role then we would create issues for teams 100%

Wouldnt have an issue with Redmond, Armstrong rotating and coming off the bench

1 hour ago, EBS1980 said:

It’s how Chelsea get players to sign new deals. They give them big wages, loan them out and part fund them when out on loan. Then hope they improve/have good season so they can then sell them. It’s how their model works, stockpile players - loan them out and then sell some each year to then fund first team players 

you are right, but not sure how it can work here though - assuming that wage is for real. He would have to play like the best player in the league for anyone to buy him and pay him that kind of wage. 

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We've been desperate for competition for redmond for ages. Anything that provides that will fill a large hole in the squad. 

It's a shame we're skint, or I'd like to think we'd have been linked with Benrahma. There's a player that would be first choice and properly raise our levels.<<sigh>>

I wouldn't be against RLC signing, although his injury record isn't brilliant, Ings has proved it's not impossible to come back from bad injuries, and he's fit currently. He's played for England and he can score goals, he's versatile and a decent age. Plus, if we do only have him on loan, with no purchase option, if he likes it here, maybe a deal could be done next summer with Chelsea and his wages. After all, is he EVER going to be first choice there? It's hard to see it. Also I've always advocated looking at Chelsea for young players that don't seem to get much of a look in there. It worked with Bertrand.

TBF With one day left of the window, ANY AM would be a bonus.

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

It's a shame we're skint, or I'd like to think we'd have been linked with Benrahma. There's a player that would be first choice and properly raise our levels.<<sigh>>

I wouldn't be against RLC signing, although his injury record isn't brilliant, Ings has proved it's not impossible to come back from bad injuries, and he's fit currently. He's played for England and he can score goals, he's versatile and a decent age. Plus, if we do only have him on loan, with no purchase option, if he likes it here, maybe a deal could be done next summer with Chelsea and his wages. After all, is he EVER going to be first choice there? It's hard to see it. Also I've always advocated looking at Chelsea for young players that don't seem to get much of a look in there. It worked with Bertrand.

TBF With one day left of the window, ANY AM would be a bonus.

I think we can all agree that a DM and any sort of attacking midfielder or winger would be a satisfactory window. 

Easy to forget that RLC’s only sustained period of first team football was a season at Palace which got him a start in the World Cup for England, which shows how good he was that season. I really think he’s exactly what we’re missing, someone to provide some forward impetus from midfield. I agree with above that he would be an Armstrong/Redmond competition, but also think he could play slightly deeper/more central and offer us a plan B in terms of formation and game plan, particularly at home against the weaker teams. We’ve lacked a midfielder who can pass forward and he can do that. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We've been desperate for competition for redmond for ages. Anything that provides that will fill a large hole in the squad. 

Absolutely, in my simple football brain I like to see a player who’s first thought is to move or carry  the ball forward, that’s what Armstrong has bought to us. From the YouTube clip it seems RLC has the same philosophy. I’m not entirely sure what Redders brings,  but his game should benefit massively once he knows he’s not an automatic selection.

Edited by Toussaint

I find the negativity around Redmond weird. I wasn't his biggest fan first season or two but he then went on to win both players and fans player of the season. We are definitely weaker without him in the side. Of course we all want him to run at defenders more but he is so important to how we want to play. He started the season poor likewise everyone bar Ings has really. But I agree competition is healthy for everyone. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

How do they get around FFP rules.......?

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I find the negativity around Redmond weird. I wasn't his biggest fan first season or two but he then went on to win both players and fans player of the season. We are definitely weaker without him in the side. Of course we all want him to run at defenders more but he is so important to how we want to play. He started the season poor likewise everyone bar Ings has really. But I agree competition is healthy for everyone. 

It's because he's so maddeningly inconsistent. Sometimes he goes through periods where he looks great and dangerous and other times it's extended periods of dross. I think someone mentioned before that he may have some mental toughness issues and possibly he's a confidence player but it is very nanoyobg when he doesn't get the most out of his ability. 

• Like 1

I really don’t want to be paying circa £75k a week on a player that is not ours. I appreciate he’s a reasonable player but something just doesn’t sit right with that.

We are not a club that can afford such an outlay with no value added ie. he’s in the shop window for someone else to benefit. The club just gets a thank you in 10 months.

Edited by Toadhall Saint
Typo
  • Confused 1