Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

35 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Okay....Ive been debating with myself whether or not to put this on here as Ive seen some of the stick some people get. Im no itk whatsoever, however, a few days ago a lifelong friend of mine text me to say great signing. I asked him what he was talking about. My friend is VERY well connected at one of the top 6 clubs. I mean regularly chats with the chairman, manager, players etc. Has all their numbers etc and still in contact with some players that leave. I cant tell you what he does there cos I shouldnt even be telling you this...

So when i said what signing he said RLC. I said I dont think we can afford his wages and he said oh ok. I asked him where he has heard this and he said youll laugh when I tell you. Obvs he told me, it came straight from the managers mouth. 

Thats it, thats all Ive got. Dont know whether it will happen......Waiting for some abuse....

Thanks for posting mate, ignore the haters.

18 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Be happy with Grujic, championed him way earlier in this thread and previous windows too. Wasted sitting on the bench at Liverpool. Hopefully a loan to perm type deal.

Yeah the Hertha Coach raved about him when he first joined

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/liverpool-s-marko-grujic-by-far-the-best-midfielder-hertha-berlin-dardai-518902.jsp

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Agree. JWP will play every game so one of those, or Romeu would barely play.

Actually, thinking about it; this time next year Romeu will be out of contract, 30 y.o. and really doesn’t suit Ralph’s high tempo, dynamic approach. Perhaps ID is being brought in as more ‘one for the future’ and JWP and Grujić will be the starting pair. Next summer Rom leaves and we’ve got a decent mix of CM options.

• Like 1

I still don't see where RLC fits into our team, he's not a no.6, and he's not really a winger, he's more of a no.10 which we don't really play, I suppose he could challenge Armstrongs position as he drifts into the no.10 spot or maybe offer something different as a second striker supporting Ings? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Actually, thinking about it; this time next year Romeu will be out of contract, 30 y.o. and really doesn’t suit Ralph’s high tempo, dynamic approach. Perhaps ID is being brought in as more ‘one for the future’ and JWP and Grujić will be the starting pair. Next summer Rom leaves and we’ve got a decent mix of CM options.

It’s possible.  One of the things that stood out when a Ralph spoke about “3” signings was what position would that 3rd player be? 

Bit late to the party with this, but re Sangare and work permits transfer fee will be part of it but likely not the full story.

The process is that if a player has played a relevant percentage of competitive internationals then the "governing body endorsement" for the work permit is awarded automatically.  If not (the case with Salisu & Sangare) then a panel of three (a "legally qualified chair" + two with "relevant experience at the top level of the game") make the decision.

The panel is guided by an "objective criteria", a points scoring exercise that includes things like the size of the fee (presumably where Ralph's comments have come from), level of salary, league player is coming from, whether played in continental competition etc following which they conduct a "subjective review".

If the player scores above a certain level in the objective exercise then: "the Exceptions Panel may grant a GBE, but is under no obligation to do so".

If the player scores below this level then: "the Exceptions Panel is guided to refuse a GBE unless it is satisfied, following its subjective review, that the player is internationally established at the highest level and that his employment will make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in England".

As such with the comments along the lines of "shouldn't the club have known it would be turned down"; probably not as may have thought it would be granted following the subjective review as it would have been with Salisu and "couldn't we have increased the fee"; yes, but this would likely not have tipped Sangare above the points threshold and would still be no guarantee of success.

The full criteria and process is available on the FA website if anybody is having difficulty sleeping.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mozz said:

Bit late to the party with this, but re Sangare and work permits transfer fee will be part of it but likely not the full story.

The process is that if a player has played a relevant percentage of competitive internationals then the "governing body endorsement" for the work permit is awarded automatically.  If not (the case with Salisu & Sangare) then a panel of three (a "legally qualified chair" + two with "relevant experience at the top level of the game") make the decision.

The panel is guided by an "objective criteria", a points scoring exercise that includes things like the size of the fee (presumably where Ralph's comments have come from), level of salary, league player is coming from, whether played in continental competition etc following which they conduct a "subjective review".

If the player scores above a certain level in the objective exercise then: "the Exceptions Panel may grant a GBE, but is under no obligation to do so".

If the player scores below this level then: "the Exceptions Panel is guided to refuse a GBE unless it is satisfied, following its subjective review, that the player is internationally established at the highest level and that his employment will make a significant contribution to the development of football at the highest level in England".

As such with the comments along the lines of "shouldn't the club have known it would be turned down"; probably not as may have thought it would be granted following the subjective review as it would have been with Salisu and "couldn't we have increased the fee"; yes, but this would likely not have tipped Sangare above the points threshold and would still be no guarantee of success.

The full criteria and process is available on the FA website if anybody is having difficulty sleeping.

Interesting read - cheers for posting Mozz 👍

• Like 1

Just now, EBS1980 said:

So if it was 3 what we thinking;

Diallo seems pretty much there, Grujic  & then a loan for either RLC or Neilson? 

We all knew we needed a DM & a “wide 10” to replace Boufal.

A long term replacement for Romeu kind’ve makes sense but not sure we would do it (or if cash allows it).

3 minutes ago, Mozz said:

whole thing favours the top 6. They can buy the bet players from abroad, with the international caps and high wages. They can also afford the best (over priced) English players. The likes of us are left with either the `not so great' English players, or foreign players that have yet to grab the eye of international managers. I don't see any reason why a players wage should be part of the criteria. If we can get a player for low fee and low wage, but we think he is good enough, then that's our good fortune. The idea of `paying more than is required' so as to meet the criteria is utter madness.

37 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I still don't see where RLC fits into our team, he's not a no.6, and he's not really a winger, he's more of a no.10 which we don't really play, I suppose he could challenge Armstrongs position as he drifts into the no.10 spot or maybe offer something different as a second striker supporting Ings? 

if we had a player good enough to fill the no 10 position, maybe that would offer more options. Only having one system and formation makes us easy to work out and plan for.

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Why wouldn't we want a player that's good enough to start for the top of the table club...? #devilsadvocate ;)

You should see the reaction on their twitter to him starting. 

• Like 2

Not totally sold on RLC. He's quite neat and tidy without really having the skills to get people off their seats/sofas. Don't think he is that great in front of goal either. A tad over rated IMO. Would be glad to be proved wrong if he comes.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

whole thing favours the top 6. They can buy the bet players from abroad, with the international caps and high wages. They can also afford the best (over priced) English players. The likes of us are left with either the `not so great' English players, or foreign players that have yet to grab the eye of international managers. I don't see any reason why a players wage should be part of the criteria. If we can get a player for low fee and low wage, but we think he is good enough, then that's our good fortune. The idea of `paying more than is required' so as to meet the criteria is utter madness.

They can also buy and loan back players etc etc. Massively favours the top 6. Why am I surprised 

16 hours ago, Chez said:

I take it the £10m thing is just for players that don't have international caps. You'd never sign a free contract otherwise.

£10m is a bit of a red herring, it is one of the criteria that can be used to gain a work permit in a points based system. You can also gain points based on wages, and points are also gained in certain circumstances for free transfers.

https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fas-policy-on-non-eu-football-players-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/

It still strikes me a bit odd that we pursued a player who we must have known would not be granted a work permit. It seems like the old appeal procedure (which got us Pahars) no longer applies, its very much cut and dried, unless a club is prepared to overpay for a player in order to rack up extra points.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

£10m is a bit of a red herring, it is one of the criteria that can be used to gain a work permit in a points based system. You can also gain points based on wages, and points are also gained in certain circumstances for free transfers.

https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fas-policy-on-non-eu-football-players-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/

It still strikes me a bit odd that we pursued a player who we must have known would not be granted a work permit. It seems like the old appeal procedure (which got us Pahars) no longer applies, its very much cut and dried, unless a club is prepared to overpay for a player in order to rack up extra points.

Sort of.  There's a bit of an odd marriage between the points system and ultimate subjective decision.  Summary of the process on the previous page.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mozz said:

Sort of.  There's a bit of an odd marriage between the points system and ultimate subjective decision.  Summary of the process on the previous page.

It seems to me that the subjectivity most likely comes into play when a player meets the points system (Part A and/or Part B), then the Board can still turn the application down. If a player does not even meet the points criteria then there is little or no chance of a work permit being sanctioned (unless you are Liverpool). Strikes me as naivety on the part of SFC. 

36 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I'm fairly relieved about that. I don't think he'd have added much to the squad. There are better AM options available IMO. Plus if there was no option to buy then we'd just be loaning a Spurs player to make him better for them. I'm hoping, if the Grujic loan comes off, there's an option or even obligation. Although if he's good enough to improve the first XI then a loan without a purchase option isn't so bad I guess. 

I agree with Verlaine though,  Diallo, Grujic and say one of the Arsenal young talents (OK, any decent AM) would be perfect and make for an exciting season.

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Unless the “3rd player” replaces an outgoing... (Not ITK)

Vesti doesn’t have a long term future here, Bednarek will go next summer (Imho) and Stephens still lacks in pace and positioning so we might be looking for further cbs I guess?