Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

That is just a copy and paste rehash of the Sky Sports link so isn't anything new. 

as Sky Sports reports in England

Edited by Matthew Le God

Brooks plays in the exact same position as Bowen, who has been good for West Ham, so would be surprised if they'd buy another young player for that position when they also have Yarmalenko as well.

But West Ham things. 

Would love us to sign Brooks, surprised no other bigger clubs are looking at him, though Leicester are linked and he'd be a good signing for them 

48 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Does this mean Salisu has fallen through, I cant see us buying two left footed CBs?

Not necessarily, we play with two right-footed CBs now. Assuming the ideal situation of Vest getting sold, that leaves us with two right-footed senior CBs, makes sense to me to get two lefties in (more likely we want one lefty and not picky about the other).

39 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Brooks plays in the exact same position as Bowen, who has been good for West Ham, so would be surprised if they'd buy another young player for that position when they also have Yarmalenko as well.

But West Ham things. 

Would love us to sign Brooks, surprised no other bigger clubs are looking at him, though Leicester are linked and he'd be a good signing for them 

Of all the Boscombe players available, Ake aside, he's the only one I'd really go after.

1 hour ago, View From The Top said:

Of all the Boscombe players available, Ake aside, he's the only one I'd really go after.

And Ramsdale, who looks like he is going to be a top keeper. He will go back to Sheffield United though I think

1 minute ago, Foxstone said:

And Ramsdale, who looks like he is going to be a top keeper. He will go back to Sheffield United though I think

Oh he's not theres then ? Didnt realise he was on loan. Oh well they still have Boruc unless Eddie has fallen out with him again   

How much would it cost to buy the entire Brentford squad? £100M? 

Best game I've seen all season, last night's vs Swansea.

Ollie Watkins is sensational. Benrahma very talented, but needs to remember it's a team game.

But as a squad they would all fit into our style of play. High tempo, fit, breathtaking one touch passing, moving the ball around the opposition.

I hope they come up, as they're a joy to watch. If not, some clubs (hopefully including us) will be looking at their squad.

2 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

How much would it cost to buy the entire Brentford squad? £100M? 

Best game I've seen all season, last night's vs Swansea.

Ollie Watkins is sensational. Benrahma very talented, but needs to remember it's a team game.

But as a squad they would all fit into our style of play. High tempo, fit, breathtaking one touch passing, moving the ball around the opposition.

I hope they come up, as they're a joy to watch. If not, some clubs (hopefully including us) will be looking at their squad.

As long you don't include Pontus Jannson, he was diabolical for the second goal.

Might as well sell Boufal if we can as he only has a year left anyway and we obviously won't be extending his contract. Suspect we may loan him and then let him go on a free as the type of teams who will want him won't be able to pay us and pay his wages.

Djenepo has shown that there is something to work with. Boufal is talented but over a number of seasons (and one at Vigo) has shown he is entertaining but doesn't have enough end product. He will always be like that unless in a weaker league.

Edited by Dusic

32 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Might as well sell Boufal if we can as he only has a year left anyway and we obviously won't be extending his contract. Suspect we may loan him and then let him go on a free as the type of teams who will want him won't be able to pay us and pay his wages.

Djenepo has shown that there is something to work with. Boufal is talented but over a number of seasons (and one at Vigo) has shown he is entertaining but doesn't have enough end product. He will always be like that unless in a weaker league.

I was going to say "surely he's not earning that much" and then found two different sites that say he's on £65k/week! 😱

Why would you change the squad too much after such a good finish to the season?  Wouldn't you want to keep that going with perhaps a couple of decent buys where needed?

Edited by Jeremy
Replace second "finish" with "season"
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Why would you change the squad too much after such a good finish to the finish?  Wouldn't you want to keep that going with perhaps a couple of decent buys where needed?

Is anyone advocating for changing too much? Most of what I see is people saying to get rid of the high earners out on loan, sign KWP, a CB (two if Vestergard goes) and a CM to replace Hojberg. Four additions (three of which are actually just replacements) isn't that crazy.

I've gone back (as much as I can) and watched Vestergard after the criticism I've read about him on here. I can see why he's been criticised. Seems to lack confidence or something (but I'm not a football expert). CB is a crucial position and the club should be prepared to pay decent coin to get somebody good here. You can't win if you have a razzle dazzle attack and a leaky defence. The scouts need to unearth another VvD somewhere. 

4 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I've gone back (as much as I can) and watched Vestergard after the criticism I've read about him on here. I can see why he's been criticised. Seems to lack confidence or something (but I'm not a football expert). CB is a crucial position and the club should be prepared to pay decent coin to get somebody good here. You can't win if you have a razzle dazzle attack and a leaky defence. The scouts need to unearth another VvD somewhere. 

Agree with this. It's what held Liverpool back for years until they bought Alisson and VVD. Even more important for us when we only play 2 in CM. Not much cover in front of our CBs.

I'd be happy if the club didn't go for another young CB with re-sell value but someone solid and reliable to lead the defence.

7 hours ago, Jeremy said:

He’s way too slow for the Premier. Not sure this can be changed. Decent bench warmer for absolute emergencies but better to ship out, esp if Leicester want him. Need Salisu to come through. 

Edited by DT

9 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Why would you change the squad too much after such a good finish to the season?  Wouldn't you want to keep that going with perhaps a couple of decent buys where needed?

The team that finished the season - the 10 games after the restart - was 3rd in the table for that period, so Yes, you would not change it TOO much.  But if the premise of the question is that too much change is proposed, I'd question that premise.  Let's also bear in mind that not every player in the squad featured in the team that played the final ten games, 

The potential changes to personnel are well documented.  A new, quality, CB, with Salkisu the prime target would strengthen the team. Replacing Hojberg at CMF is necessary but actually took place during those ten games with Romeu and Smallbone both performing very effectively. The weakness at RB was quickly solved by KWP, hence the negotiations to sign him, or a suitable replacement, using the Hojberg money.  The rest of the outfield looks fine, particularly with injured players expected to return to fitness  there may be additions from the Academy ready to step up, for example we will see if Slattery returns from loan more likely to fulfil his potential. 

There seem to be two answers to Jeremy's question, (1) change the squad when forced to do so, and (2) strengthen when you can.   

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’m posting the link, but simultaneously acknowledging that The Express is rubbish...

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1316803/Southampton-transfer-news-Weston-McKennie-Pierre-Emile-Hojbjerg-Tottenham

If we get in Salisu, KWP, and McKennie in the first couple of weeks of the window I think I would be happy from there. No need for any further signings, maybe a back up lb or a cheap cb4. Just focus on selling the dead wood and getting that rumoured 20 man squad Ralph likes to work with.

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

If we get in Salisu, KWP, and McKennie in the first couple of weeks of the window I think I would be happy from there. No need for any further signings, maybe a back up lb or a cheap cb4. Just focus on selling the dead wood and getting that rumoured 20 man squad Ralph likes to work with.

Those would be the 3 positional boxes ticked.  Not sure we would have the cash for all those without sales though. 

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Those would be the 3 positional boxes ticked.  Not sure we would have the cash for all those without sales though. 

In;

KWP 10Million, Salisu 11Million, Mckennie 18 Million = 39M

Out;

Vestergaard 15Million, Hoedt 6Million, PeH 18Million. = 9M.

We still some saleable assets too generate extra funds. Reed, Boufal, Lemina, Sims. Forster/Gunn Maybe?

We also have 3 and 5 Million generated from the loans of Cedric and Yoshida. So there is money there.

25 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Even then it only mentioned that we were one of about 4 Premier League clubs interested though I think? The way some of our fans are talking, particularly on Twitter, you’d think there’s been sightings of him at Staplewood. 

I for one won't believe any rumours until an estate agent in Winchester hints the player is looking to rent Martin O'Neill's flat.

49 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Has there been a single credible link to McKennie? He sounds like he’d fit in very well but I haven’t seen anything to convince me we’re actually pursuing him. 

Depends if you think the journalist Ryan Taylor is credible or not...

Edited by Matthew Le God

6 hours ago, Ultimatt said:

Agree with this. It's what held Liverpool back for years until they bought Alisson and VVD. Even more important for us when we only play 2 in CM. Not much cover in front of our CBs.

I'd be happy if the club didn't go for another young CB with re-sell value but someone solid and reliable to lead the defence.

Agree with that. We need a vocal experienced CB to take charge. Although I hear Stephens is pretty vocal, not sure RB would look on this 'young kid' as leading the group.

3 hours ago, Professor said:

The team that finished the season - the 10 games after the restart - was 3rd in the table for that period, 

Yeah, we look back and think 'how did we do that after being low end until then?' and I think we caught a lot of teams out with our fitness and commitment.

It seems a few clubs took the view that the final 8/9 games were an inconvenience before next season started. However, Ralph took it as a chance to make a statement.

But I think we'll all be starting on a level playing field next season. Anyone think we'll finish 3rd after a 38 game season 20-21?

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’m posting the link, but simultaneously acknowledging that The Express is rubbish...

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1316803/Southampton-transfer-news-Weston-McKennie-Pierre-Emile-Hojbjerg-Tottenham

Hmm, interesting. Although, like you, I don't see the Express as being gospel truth, I do think we need to set a deadline for Tottenham to make an acceptable bid. If they don't come in with that acceptable bid, then sell him to Everton for £25M and MOVE ON to our recruitment plans.

If we sit on our hands, we'll miss out.