Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Elynoussi has decided to stay on loan at Celtic for another season according to the same journo who broke the story on him joining us in the first place 

Can only hope it's to help facilitate a p/x deal.

6 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Frustrating that, was hoping he'd have been one of the ones to permanently fuck off. 

Another year of loans for Elyounoussi, Hoedt, Carrillo, Forster and Lemina it is then.

It's the hope that kills you.

Think we had 20 players out at one point this season.

18 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

He’s very highly rated by the Arsenal fans, more so than Nketiah. According to their forums, they saw Balogun, Martinelli and young midfielder Azeez as the future of their attack alongside the established Saka. But apparently Balogun has only one year left on his contract and is stalling on a new contract as he wants first team football and with Nketiah and Saka seemingly preferred he may not get it there if Aubamayang and/or Lacazette stick about. Mooted fee of around £8-10 million. Would be seemingly a decent signing for potential based on what I’ve read but where would that leave Obafemi and N’Lundulu? Not to mention Adams who I would guess we might be looking to cash in on if Leeds still hold a candle for him...

16 hours ago, SNSUN said:

He’s very highly rated by the Arsenal fans, more so than Nketiah. According to their forums, they saw Balogun, Martinelli and young midfielder Azeez as the future of their attack alongside the established Saka. But apparently Balogun has only one year left on his contract and is stalling on a new contract as he wants first team football and with Nketiah and Saka seemingly preferred he may not get it there if Aubamayang and/or Lacazette stick about. Mooted fee of around £8-10 million. Would be seemingly a decent signing for potential based on what I’ve read but where would that leave Obafemi and N’Lundulu? Not to mention Adams who I would guess we might be looking to cash in on if Leeds still hold a candle for him...

I'm yet to be convinced by Obafemi. Not sure he has the right mindset or skill level to make it in the premier league but we will see. I also think Ralph has reservations about this going by his recent comments.

N'Lundulu did look good when playing for the Under 18s but seems to have stalled recently after a bad injury?

I think Adams deserves another season here as genuinely think he has the attributes to succeed. Ralph clearly believes in him but he does need to start scoring goals sooner rather than later. 

If there's a promising young striker who is available for a low fee then we should go for it. 

13 minutes ago, TWar said:

Looks like we dodged a bullet with Jean-Kevin Augustin, Leeds may be entering a legal battle NOT to sign him: 

Did he even play a full game for them? Sort of expensive signing we normally make these days!

Edited by skintsaint

On 30/06/2020 at 15:20, Saint Matty 76 said:

Frustrating that, was hoping he'd have been one of the ones to permanently fuck off. 

Another year of loans for Elyounoussi, Hoedt, Carrillo, Forster and Lemina it is then.

when you make recruitment mistakes in the Prem you really do end up paying for them. Just a couple more years and then we can start a fresh. Just need to hang on until then and make every signing count. 

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

In English?

Midfielder Anderson Talisca, revealed in Bahia and today in Guangzhou Evergrande, is a target of interest for Southampton, England. According to Bahia Notícias, businessmen linked to the English club contacted the player's staff to find out about his situation.

The people linked to the midfielders maintained contact with the agents of the Premier League club. However, the 26-year-old has no interest in leaving China at the moment, which makes any kind of negotiation unfeasible.

Talisca returned to China last week and is awaiting the return of competitions in the country after the stoppage due to the pandemic of the new coronavirus. The athlete, who has a contract with Guangzhou Evergrande until July 2022, spent two months in Brazil during the health crisis.

15 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Would Tom Heaton be an option for us next season if villa go down? 34 years old and only started back training after knee injury but a very decent keeper on his day. Age doesn't fit our usual profile but for a season or two could do a job for us. 

No

Will surely just stay at Brentford if they go up, they are on fire at the moment, and a real chance of nicking that final auto promotion spot.

Good player though, and definitely the type of signing we should be making if they don't go up.  I'd quite like us to have a look at Saïd Benrahma too...!

Not sure I'd want us to spend any major outlay on a striker. Ings is phenomenal but I think Che could easily be developed into our second forward and Obafemi + Long is fine depth in that position. If Ings gets injured we have a sharp drop in quality but that is the case for basically any side losing their striker outside City and Chelsea really. If we are spending the sort of 20m+ he would cost I would rather get an excellent ball playing holding midfielder to play alongside JWP as this is clearly our weakest position at the moment. Or a keeper.

4 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Would be horrified if we brought in another first team keeper with 3 on the books already.

Yeah a new keeper would be contingent on getting Forster out on a perm to Celtic or Arsenal/Chelsea and Gunn out on a loan in the championship or something to regain confidence and accumulate value. Bring in keeper to compete with McCarthy over the next season or two and surpass him and then when McCarthy moves on/retires Gunn can come back in as backup. Or we sell him if we get anywhere near the value we signed him for.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Will surely just stay at Brentford if they go up, they are on fire at the moment, and a real chance of nicking that final auto promotion spot.

Good player though, and definitely the type of signing we should be making if they don't go up.  I'd quite like us to have a look at Saïd Benrahma too...!

Watkins apparently has an £18m Buy-out clause.

On 04/07/2020 at 08:35, SuperSAINT said:

Doesn’t seem like a Saints-type signing? 

https://www.bahianoticias.com.br/esportes/noticia/55130-empresarios-ligados-ao-southampton-fazem-sondagem-por-anderson-talisca.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just read up on him. I actually think he has quite a few hallmarks of being a typical Saints signing:

- Early to mid-20s? Tick (well, more or less...similar age to Ings when he signed for us)
- On fringes of national squad? Tick
- Played internationally at U20s/U23s? Tick
- Has never quite reached his potential but still time to improve? Tick
- Valued in the £15m - £20m bracket? Tick

Gotta at least be worth a quick gander at a YouTube compilation video?! :)

Edited by trousers

30 minutes ago, trousers said:

https://www.bahianoticias.com.br/esportes/noticia/55130-empresarios-ligados-ao-southampton-fazem-sondagem-por-anderson-talisca.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just read up on him. I actually think he has quite a few hallmarks of being a typical Saints signing:

- Early to mid-20s? Tick (well, more or less...similar age to Ings when he signed for us)

He is also on 150K a week...

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Mentioned as having interest in Ollie Watkins by David Ornstein in The Athletic.  

Unless we’re selling one of Adams or Obafemi, Watkins probably isn’t needed. Although that being said he’s probably better than both of them. 

for me, we need to prioritise a CM (preferably one who’s got a bit of creativity), CB and RB. 

3 hours ago, trousers said:

Looks like a Boufal....but better in the air.

Rob Dickie was MOTM the other day against the skates and looked pretty decent. Worth another look tonight to see if you think he can step up two divisions. I think he was linked to us in February. 

20 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

If we want to follow the Leipzig/Dortmund model, we have to start hoovering a couple of these young players from minor leagues up in the hope that a few of them will come good. You can't be a shop window club if you buy and replace on a 1:1 basis.

24 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Buendia on the right may improve us.  I imagine Cantwell's agent has expectations higher than that of Saints.  

sometimes those expectations don't become reality and you have to reassess. You have to be a special player to get that free role at a big club that he has thrived in at Norwich. Prefer Books myself, although his injury makes it a touch call to spend big on him. King is another quality player IMO.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

sometimes those expectations don't become reality and you have to reassess. You have to be a special player to get that free role at a big club that he has thrived in at Norwich. Prefer Books myself, although his injury makes it a touch call to spend big on him. King is another quality player IMO.

Dont know if he was injured, but was awful vs Palace in the TV game, and very hit or miss vs Utd. Brooks is a good player though, although only just back from a bad injury. Not sure Cantwell is worth the money (yet) that Norwich will want for him (imagine 20-25m+).

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

If we do get an offer for Ings that we can't turn down, we should nab Pukki from Norwich. 

There's no way that would happen. Ralph goes for young, fit, fast players who put in a lot of work. Pukki doesn't fit into any of those categories. 

There was a great article on The Athletic about Ralph a few days ago which included a part about the type of player he targets. Well worth a read if you have a subscription.

Eze's class from what I've seen. Like a Lallana without the Cruyff turns. Wins QPR points on his own.

Pukki's a no from me. 12 match goalless streak. The purple patch seems to be coming to an end at 30 and he's returning to the player that wasn't good enough for Celtic.