The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

People who are slow to pack their groceries and when it is time to pay still arranging in their trolley.  Speed the fuck up I don’t want to be in a supermarket for any additional seconds I don’t have to be. Some tolerance for older people allowed

1 minute ago, whelk said:

People who are slow to pack their groceries and when it is time to pay still arranging in their trolley.  Speed the fuck up I don’t want to be in a supermarket for any additional seconds I don’t have to be. Some tolerance for older people allowed

Just use scan as you go ffs.  Then you're all bagged up by the time you get to checkouts, just have to pay.

Besides, the Sainos near me only ever has about 1 or 2 checkouts that are staffed and the queues for it are enough to put you off.

17 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just use scan as you go ffs.  Then you're all bagged up by the time you get to checkouts, just have to pay.

Besides, the Sainos near me only ever has about 1 or 2 checkouts that are staffed and the queues for it are enough to put you off.

Missus is always banging on about that although when I have used previously in Tescos they have ‘randomly’ picked me (both times) so negated any quick exit. 

My example above was at Costco who employ someone to count your trolley items. Fuck knows why they insist on that but hey ho

33 minutes ago, whelk said:

Missus is always banging on about that although when I have used previously in Tescos they have ‘randomly’ picked me (both times) so negated any quick exit. 

You must have a dodgy look about you.

On 04/06/2024 at 20:47, Whitey Grandad said:

People who abandon their supermarket trolleys in the middle of the car park. Lazy sods.

I remember some lads who worked at an Asda 20-25 years ago when the store first bought pound trolleys in, and the coins often didn't release when the trolley was returned (back in the days where their wage was about £3 per hour).

They quickly realised that just by carrying some pliers on their shift they'd significantly increase their earnings just from pocketing the pound coins that customers used to leave in the trolleys in a typical day.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, inspectorfrost said:

I remember some lads who worked at an Asda 20-25 years ago when the store first bought pound trolleys in, and the coins often didn't release when the trolley was returned (back in the days where their wage was about £3 per hour).

They quickly realised that just by carrying some pliers on their shift they'd significantly increase their earnings just from pocketing the pound coins that customers used to leave in the trolleys in a typical day.

I might try that. 

People who arrive inside stadiums or theatres and still have no grasp of how a simple seating system works.

It's just fucking numbers and the alphabet - you must understand that D is between C and E?

That's seat no.40, and we know that because there's a little clue, it's written on it - you want no.50, so how about you follow the numbers that are getting bigger rather than staring blankly and heading over the other side of the place and getting in the fucking way of people in a row that you have no need to visit?

See you all tomorrow...good luck everyone, we can do this.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

People who arrive inside stadiums or theatres and still have no grasp of how a simple seating system works.

It's just fucking numbers and the alphabet - you must understand that D is between C and E?

That's seat no.40, and we know that because there's a little clue, it's written on it - you want no.50, so how about you follow the numbers that are getting bigger rather than staring blankly and heading over the other side of the place and getting in the fucking way of people in a row that you have no need to visit?

See you all tomorrow...good luck everyone, we can do this.

GCSE grades in maths and English are down.

• Haha 1

I need to get this off my chest. When did using word 'super' to emphasise something become a thing, it doesn't even make any sense. I've started seeing it used on here, what's wrong with 'very' FFS? I'm super-angry about this!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, iansums said:

I need to get this off my chest. When did using word 'super' to emphasise something become a thing, it doesn't even make any sense. I've started seeing it used on here, what's wrong with 'very' FFS? I'm super-angry about this!

I’m mega furious.

Rubbernecks when there’s a motorway accident. Anyone coming south on the M3 this afternoon will know what I mean, half an hour sat in traffic for absolutely zero reason, other than people staring gormless at a couple of police cars. 

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Rubbernecks when there’s a motorway accident. Anyone coming south on the M3 this afternoon will know what I mean, half an hour sat in traffic for absolutely zero reason, other than people staring gormless at a couple of police cars. 

Yeah, I saw that too.

I was on a bus though.

40 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Dial-a-bus?

Sadly not. Number #1 from Winchester to Southampton. I saw the police cars from the bridge over the M3 at Compton. 

I had intended to walk the first part of the Itchen Way starting from Cheriton but another bus didn't turn up so I missed the number 67. Which was annoying. 

I ended up going to King's Worthy and and walking to Winchester for lunch then on to Garnier Road and across to St Cross.

My legs ache now but I need to do more of it.

1 minute ago, east-stand-nic said:

People who have a university degree and somehow assume that makes them more intelligent than others, of whom they know nothing about. I mean come on, how arrogant and in fact thick is that way of thinking.

I take it that you don’t?

• Haha 2

On 30/08/2024 at 17:59, Lighthouse said:

A couple of years ago a Land Rover Defender caught fire on the hard shoulder of the M5 near Gloucester Services and got bad quite quickly before the Fire Brigade could get there. There’s people slowing down to gawp at it, the flames were heading towards the petrol tank and the heat could be felt through our car. Had to depress the horn to force the gawpers to accelerate away from trouble. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

On 04/09/2024 at 10:09, east-stand-nic said:

People who have a university degree and somehow assume that makes them more intelligent than others, of whom they know nothing about. I mean come on, how arrogant and in fact thick is that way of thinking.

It depends who the person is whom they are assuming that they are more intelligent than nic.
And you don’t need a degree to be smarter than someone who believes in conspiracy theories. 😉

Edited by sadoldgit

On 30/08/2024 at 17:59, Lighthouse said:

The same twats that cause the daily tailbacks on the A303 due to gawping at Stonehenge, no doubt. 

• Like 1

On 04/09/2024 at 10:20, Gloucester Saint said:

A couple of years ago a Land Rover Defender caught fire on the hard shoulder of the M5 near Gloucester Services and got bad quite quickly before the Fire Brigade could get there. There’s people slowing down to gawp at it, the flames were heading towards the petrol tank and the heat could be felt through our car. Had to depress the horn to force the gawpers to accelerate away from trouble. 

There was a medium sized airliner which crashed in Staines in the seventies, right next to the A30. Police said that rescue efforts were hampered by drivers slowing down to look as they drove past. TBF you probably would.

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

There was a medium sized airliner which crashed in Staines in the seventies, right next to the A30. Police said that rescue efforts were hampered by drivers slowing down to look as they drove past. TBF you probably would.

Think that was this one, very experienced pilot had a massive heart attack IIRC and the co-pilot was quite green?

https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/staines-air-crash-50-years-on/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_European_Airways_Flight_548

29 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Think that was this one, very experienced pilot had a massive heart attack IIRC and the co-pilot was quite green?

https://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/staines-air-crash-50-years-on/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_European_Airways_Flight_548

I was working in Havant for Plessey at the time and someone from the Flight Data lab next door brought in the plots from the flight recorder. They weren’t very long and were about a three foot spread across the desktop.

He pointed out where the leading edge droop was retracted and the aircraft stalled. The autopilot pushed the nose down and the aircraft started to recover but the nose was then pulled up manually and the aircraft stalled again.

The autopilot pushed the nose down and again the aircraft started to recover speed. Then whoever was in control disconnected the autopilot and the aircraft stalled into a field. 

It made a big impression on me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I was working in Havant for Plessey at the time and someone from the Flight Data lab next door brought in the plots from the flight recorder. They weren’t very long and were about a three foot spread across the desktop.

He pointed out where the leading edge droop was retracted and the aircraft stalled. The autopilot pushed the nose down and the aircraft started to recover but the nose was then pulled up manually and the aircraft stalled again.

The autopilot pushed the nose down and again the aircraft started to recover speed. Then whoever was in control disconnected the autopilot and the aircraft stalled into a field. 

It made a big impression on me.

Thanks for sharing, really interesting to hear an account from that period seeing the aftermath and some of the clues as to sequence of the tragic events. There seemed to be a lot of industrial unrest in BEA at the time. It sounds like the pilot and co-pilot were trying to do different things to recover the first stall with the end result nobody really controlling it, with the very experienced pilot’s medical emergency a major exacerbating factor. There were reports before the flight that he’d had an heated altercation with some other BEA crew about industrial relations matters. 

• Like 1

People at work who talk about the weather every day.

Yes, it's colder than it was. It's fucking September. Yes, it rains sometimes in summer. We live in England. You are an adult and experience this every year, surely it's not a surprise?

Even when I go out the office at lunchtime, it's all "how warm is it outside?"

Fuck me, we all own jumpers and coats. If it's cold or wet put one on you bellend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

People at work who talk about the weather every day.

Yes, it's colder than it was. It's fucking September. Yes, it rains sometimes in summer. We live in England. You are an adult and experience this every year, surely it's not a surprise?

Even when I go out the office at lunchtime, it's all "how warm is it outside?"

Fuck me, we all own jumpers and coats. If it's cold or wet put one on you bellend.

Are you sure you are English?

• Haha 1

The use of the word "pivot" to describe a holding midfielder. Twats.

(and don't get me started on "double pivot". Probably the same twats that trot out the hideous "From the get go" phrase.)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 4