Charlie Austin

LegalEagle

Decent finisher and been a good signing at 4mil.

However now virtually immobile and certainly not suited to 90 minutes of a Hasenhuttl team. Needs to go now or stay for late cameo's and leave in the summer.

If we can get any cash and free up a big salary then sell now IF we can bring in someone better.

Decent finisher and been a good signing at 4mil.

However now virtually immobile and certainly not suited to 90 minutes of a Hasenhuttl team. Needs to go now or stay for late cameo's and leave in the summer.

If we can get any cash and free up a big salary then sell now IF we can bring in someone better.

Would still leave us with 4 strikers (not counting Carrillo).

The wages are the big thing. I like Austin, but he is easily the least suited player (maybe even in the whole squad) to the pressing system.

This would leave our striking options as Ings, Long, Obafemi, Gallagher and Barnes. As ineffectual as Austin is in Hasenhuttl's pressing game, surely this would mean bringing in a new striker or attacking player...? I'm all for trusting the youth but we'd be praying Ings stays fit for the next 4 months if we stay in a relegation battle.

This would leave our striking options as Ings, Long, Obafemi, Gallagher and Barnes. As ineffectual as Austin is in Hasenhuttl's pressing game, surely this would mean bringing in a new striker or attacking player...? I'm all for trusting the youth but we'd be praying Ings stays fit for the next 4 months if we stay in a relegation battle.

You could add Redmond to your list.

Would anyone miss Austin?

Probably the most natural finisher at the club but under the new management I don’t see him being able to get on the end of things with our new tempo to be honest.

Wish him well but this trimming of the squad is well overdue, the club and players became complacent does not look like that anymore

We play 1 upfront. 5 players seems adequate depth even if some are young to get us through to the summer.

It would be interesting to know whether the contracts these guys being shipped out were on, were ridiculously generous or not, or whether they were market rate.

I was under the impression we are comfortably within the top ten highest wage bill in the league.

Last season you could put down to a blip but not now.

We are paying top ten wages for average squad.

We have a few diamonds put across the board it’s not great and unfortunately Charlie is in that bracket.

His one good season in the top flight with QPR is a distant memory now

Scored 20 goals in the 68 games he was selected for, but missed 42 games through injury in three seasons. That's a lot, but the shoulder injury was pretty unlucky to be fair. If you are shelling out god knows what in wages you are going to be hellish frustrated by that injury record. `Availability is the most important ability'. Putting that to one side, if you are going to have a big number 9 then you need someone that can win some headers and hold the ball up. No one doubts his finishing ability, but we don't exactly create lots of on a plate chances that he excels at taking. As always, if we decide to let him go what is the replacement like?

It would be interesting to know whether the contracts these guys being shipped out were on, were ridiculously generous or not, or whether they were market rate.

I was under the impression we are comfortably within the top ten highest wage bill in the league.

Last season you could put down to a blip but not now.

We are paying top ten wages for average squad.

We have a few diamonds put across the board it’s not great and unfortunately Charlie is in that bracket.

His one good season in the top flight with QPR is a distant memory now

I would take a guess that Austin is on 70k-90k.

Probably the most natural finisher at the club but under the new management I don’t see him being able to get on the end of things with our new tempo to be honest.

Wish him well but this trimming of the squad is well overdue, the club and players became complacent does not look like that anymore

Rasiak was a natural finisher but hopeless in this league. Austin is not a Premier League player by some distance and I’ll be delighted if we can shift him.

Has been a poor signing overall. Averaged about 5 goals a season during his time here. Two stupid FA bans at times where he may have had game time as well.

High wages but a low ability to keep himself fit.

Would be brilliant to get him off the wage bill and also get a fee in the process.

Has been a poor signing overall. Averaged about 5 goals a season during his time here. Two stupid FA bans at times where he may have had game time as well.

High wages but a low ability to keep himself fit.

Would be brilliant to get him off the wage bill and also get a fee in the process.

Indeed. The fee would be a bonus IMO.

I have a funny feeling with Obafemis protracted recovery, that following Ralphs comments about him needing to be more professional about himself, that he is going through a conditioning process behind closed doors. Anyone who has watched him knows he has impressive pace, Ralph also seems very keen having him in the team because of it. So as well as well as making sure the hamstring is cured they are conditioning him to make sure it doesn't go again, and knock a few cheeky kilos off at the same time..........probably as a result of Ralphs back creaking when picking him up at Huddersfield.

Just a thought, not a statement of fact.

Think Charlie Austin covered the £4m outlay with that winning goal up at Old Trafford

If we bring in a new wing back on the right like Maehle who has a good assist record with Bertrand on the other side we might be grateful for him if the service in the goal area improves. Only Ings of the rest have a decent goal scoring record all the others score sporadically or rarely.

Edited by derry

Probably shifting out all the players that do not have a relegation clause in there contracts, if you rate Hoedt/Gabbi/Cedric/ Austin or not they are good enough to play at this level, if we pick up a few injuries or suspensions these players as back up are more than adequate, I get they need to reduce the wage bill, balance the books etc etc but we are still in the mix for the drop, if we do not have the players to play at this level we will go down.

Ings has been injured a few times already, Long is useless, Obafemi looks like a younger version of Long (for now) Gallagher is forever injured and we have not seen a thing of Barnes so far, if we sell Austin and do not replace this window, we will be lucky to avoid the drop

Trimming the squad is great, but unless Austin is replaced our options are

Ings - struggles to stay fit

Obafemi - injured and inexperienced

Redmond - not really a striker

Long - well, he tries...

With the departures of Gabbiadini, Cedric, Hoedt and possibly Austin, combined with our injuries and Yoshida being on international duty, the sqaud is looking a bit stretched during an important run of games.

Trimming the squad is great, but unless Austin is replaced our options are

Ings - struggles to stay fit

Obafemi - injured and inexperienced

Redmond - not really a striker

Long - well, he tries...

With the departures of Gabbiadini, Cedric, Hoedt and possibly Austin, combined with our injuries and Yoshida being on international duty, the sqaud is looking a bit stretched during an important run of games.

I don’t think we will but it looks from the outside we are preparing for relegation we’ve got to add to the squad now surely

Would anyone miss Austin?

Austin scores goals in batches and given a good run injury free could go on a run of goals. He is a natural goal scorer who knows how to get in the right place at the right time. Our striking options are fragile and you never know when you might need him. I think he is a player who is good to have about the dressing room. The trouble is on here that people think it is straight forward to find a 10 to 15 a season premier league goalscorer. Sadly it is not. That is why I will miss him and would rather he stayed.

I don’t think we will but it looks from the outside we are preparing for relegation we’ve got to add to the squad now surely

Is this for real? Can't be surely..............

We are starting to clear out players RH does not rate and are not in his plans. I would have thought that fans would welcome that.

Austin, for example, did not even make the bench last time out and SG was there despite returning from injury.

For the person who said Redmond is not a striker - lmfao: he has scored 5 in 8 and appears to be exactly the type of player RH loves. Fast direct and not afraid to shoot.

Our front line has been awful for the last 2-3 years. Gabbi and Austin don't fit into our pressing style, Ings is OK when fit and then we have the younger players that RH seems to have a lot of faith in.

I am encourage a lot by this clear out and can see 1 or 2 others being shipped out if we can find takers for them.

We are starting to clear out players RH does not rate and are not in his plans. I would have thought that fans would welcome that.

Austin, for example, did not even make the bench last time out and SG was there despite returning from injury.

For the person who said Redmond is not a striker - lmfao: he has scored 5 in 8 and appears to be exactly the type of player RH loves. Fast direct and not afraid to shoot.

Our front line has been awful for the last 2-3 years. Gabbi and Austin don't fit into our pressing style, Ings is OK when fit and then we have the younger players that RH seems to have a lot of faith in.

I am encourage a lot by this clear out and can see 1 or 2 others being shipped out if we can find takers for them.

Agreed. January probably the best month to sell Austin because more teams are desperate for goals.

Im of the same opinion as you mate ,but just maybe we need a striker still?....

Wish my friend would start getting there info right. It’s really annoying.

Yep :mcinnes:

Forster - Error

Macca - Error

Lookman - Error

Poulsen - Error

Maehle - Error

Samatta - Error

Shaqiri - Error

Miguel Almirón - Error

Drinkwater - Error

Lemina - Error

Opening day fixtures - Error

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/25/charlie-austin-leave-southampton-month-wolves-aston-villa-interested/

Handy that Villa just free'd up 70k a week. Interesting to see if he can pass a medical.

I really struggle to see Villa as being genuinely interested. They've got plenty of forward options (so much so Bolasie was sent back), and are known to want defenders and a CM, not strikers. Also part of the reason why they sent Bolasie back is they've changed to targeting young players with resale value (McGinn, Abraham, El Ghazi etc). So if they're not buying Bolasie, 29 and on large wages, I really don't see them signing Austin, 29 and on large wages. But then stranger things have happened.

Wolves might be a different case, seeing as they seem to be in the market for strikers, and perhaps Villa are being used to speed up interest from Wolves.

Edited by GGalpin

im sure they will,well at least some of them will be right like i say shame people ruin it for us who are interested and dont take it as gospel

cheers cabbage

Just jealousy. I see why Guan and K Billy don’t post often. I’ll be taking the same approach once my subs run out. Blocked the trouble makers also has helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take a guess that Austin is on 70k-90k.

I know David Gold is widely disliked by many, but he questioned whether Austin was worth £100k a week. Why would he mention that figure unless it was what his agent was requesting.

I really struggle to see Villa as being genuinely interested. They've got plenty of forward options (so much so Bolasie was sent back), and are known to want defenders and a CM, not strikers. Also part of the reason why they sent Bolasie back is they've changed to targeting young players with resale value (McGinn, Abraham, El Ghazi etc). So if they're not buying Bolasie, 29 and on large wages, I really don't see them signing Austin, 29 and on large wages. But then stranger things have happened.

Wolves might be a different case, seeing as they seem to be in the market for strikers, and perhaps Villa are being used to speed up interest from Wolves.

I know what you mean, Re: Villa. I read the other day Dean Smith saying they want players with potential too.

Wolves are a funny proposition. I thought with the Jorge Mendes link they would go way bigger profile than Tammy Abraham. Austin just seems like a short term fix. At least we know Wolves could take on his wages.

I know David Gold is widely disliked by many, but he questioned whether Austin was worth £100k a week. Why would he mention that figure unless it was what his agent was requesting.

Absolutely disliked by me. Austin earned every penny for his goals against West Ham.

Yep :mcinnes:

Forster - Error

Macca - Error

Lookman - Error

Poulsen - Error

Maehle - Error

Samatta - Error

Shaqiri - Error

Miguel Almirón - Error

Drinkwater - Error

Lemina - Error

Opening day fixtures - Error

Not convinced that's an error just yet to be honest, definitely was a real attempt and an expectation it'd be done sooner.

Indeed. The fee would be a bonus IMO.

It would. We seem to have rapidly progressed from a phase in our history where we were regularly picking up huge transfer fees for our players to one in which we are grateful to get any sort of transfer fee whatsoever.

RH clearly thinks that he can improve Gallagher's game or he has a sneaky incoming transfer up his sleeve, otherwise we are pretty short of strikers in the squad !

Ings, Long and Obafemi are all injury prone so we are not exactly prepared for a rainy day !

Anyway, in Ralph we trust !