Ralph Hasenhuttl

SuperSAINT

More chance with him of 8th and a Cup Final than with Puel who only managed to deliver...er...8th and a Cup Final

Wouldn’t do it again, we were on the downward spiral after that cup final, players hated him. But hey, keep thinking he is some managerial god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell will take longer, he’s currently employed so will have a notice period. I’d be surprised to see him here in the next 3 months.
At least 3 months gardening leave for a role like that, so we'd be waiting until next summer for Mitchell to deliver anything meaningful, if he joins us of course.

Like 8th actually on a decent number of points with a decent number of wins and a few goals and some good football and players getting better rather than worse?

Yes, me too. Would be a thousand times better than the Puel season and a billion times better than Pellegrino or Hughes.

Say what you want about Puel but to suggest players were getting worse under him is completely ridiculous. Ward-Prowse and Redmond both got their first England caps under him, Hesketh and Sims burst on the scene initially, Van Dijk was an animal before his injury that season and Romeu had probably the best season of his entire career. All of those players (barring Virg) have spent the past 2 seasons on a huge downward trajectory.

Ralph took over at RBL when they were on an upward trend. He continued that upward trend

It's easy taking on a club on the up and up, completely different challenge for him now.

He's got to 1st halt a heavy 2.5 year decline and then get us dancing again.

Has my full support. Come on wreck-it Ralph.

Why do you think 8th is always the same? We had it under Poch on about 60 points. That was more wins, more happy weekends, beating good sides, improving players, playing exciting football, bringing youngsters through, boosting transfer values and a very happy fan base. Compare with dire football, few goals, players going backwards, far fewer points, not beating big sides, far far fewer happy weekends and a fed up fan base. One was very much a sign of a club on the up, the other the opposite.

But insight goes out the window if it's just 8th is 8th without any context.

2nd is better than first as long as it’s more points then

It's purely due to decline since. Puel would be a massive step up from Hughes. But today's saints didn't fire Puel, a club with a great few years behind them did.

Some people can't seem to process the idea that time moves on and situations change. Nice guy, alright coach, but it wasn't the right fit. Nothing against Puel beyond that, whereas I couldn't stand Pellegrino or Hughes and think they're dire managers. Hughes somehow even worse than Pellegrino.

Puel got sacked because the players wanted him out, simple.

Who's Leicester currently sit at... Um... 8th?

He must be awful.

They have a squad that essentially still has league winners in it. Get a grip.

He turned us into the most boring side I’ve ever witnessed. If you like not scoring a home goal for half a season, then you must be mental.

Who's Leicester currently sit at... Um... 8th?

He must be awful.

Their forum makes interesting reading. Striking parallels with this one when he was here. With recent events at the club and some better results he’s got a stay of execution for now but mutterings pretty much all season that he’s been one or two games away from getting fired.

You're arguing with black and white fans. It's either good or bad. There is no context.

Yeah, I know. He did well to get the cup final but let’s face it, after that I witnessed some of the worst “football” I’ve ever seen at St Marys, it was like every game was Charlton game Boxing Day 2004.

Meanwhile back on thread.

Has anyone actually watched any of his teams play? Or are we just going on his having a good reputation at Leipzig.

(Starting to get slightly irritated by posters hijacking threads to discuss the merits of Puel. Three managers ago now and ancient history in SFC terms. Bad as someone who shall be nameless banging on about getting Glenn Hoddle back)

Meanwhile back on thread.

Has anyone actually watched any of his teams play? Or are we just going on his having a good reputation at Leipzig.

(Starting to get slightly irritated by posters hijacking threads to discuss the merits of Puel. Three managers ago now and ancient history in SFC terms. Bad as someone who shall be nameless banging on about getting Glenn Hoddle back)

His team at Ingolstadt was very good, rose the leagues.

Can anyone copy & paste the full article ? I can't view it.

It's all gone very quickly. On Monday, Mark Hughes was fired as Southampton FC coach. The name Ralph Hasenhüttl quickly ghosted through the British media that he was the first contender to succeed him. Then in the evening, the decision was made. The 51-year-old Styrian takes over the traditional club, becoming the first Austrian coach in the English Premier League.

Hasenhüttl will be officially unveiled on Tuesday. The contract, as the Kleine Zeitung learned, has already been signed. The Austrian had ended his involvement with RB Leipzig last May. Now he's back in full business.

Can anyone copy & paste the full article ? I can't view it.

Southampton are hoping to confirm the appointment of Ralph Hasenhuttl before the end of the week after Mark Hughes became the second Premier League manager to be sacked this season.

Hasenhuttl, a former Austria striker, left his job managing at RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga at the end of last season, but is regarded as one of the best emerging coaches in Europe after leading the German club to sixth and second place finishes and previously achieving promotions with both Aalen and Ingolstadt.

First-team coach Kelvin Davis will lead Southampton against Tottenham Hotspur tomorrow night but confirmation that Hasenhuttl will be in charge on Saturday against Cardiff City - and so become the club’s fourth permanent manager since 2016 - is likely in the coming days.

Former Watford manager Quique Sanchez Flores is also a contender but, as first revealed on Monday morning by the Telegraph, Hasenhuttl is regarded as the outstanding choice and is understood to be keen on moving to the Premier League after taking in a number of games this season.

The 51-year-old was also on Arsenal’s long-list of managers to replace Arsene Wenger earlier this year and, with Southampton never interested in going down the route of an experienced but potentially short-term choice like Sam Allardyce and David Moyes, they want to get the situation resolved quickly.

They will be hoping that Hasenhuttl can become the sort of a game-changing but slightly left-field option in the mould of their appointment of Mauricio Pochettino back in 2013.

Crucially, he has an outstanding track-record for developing young players and, having been tracked by Southampton for the past three years, the final decision to make the change now and pursue him was taken by chairman Ralph Krueger with support from Ross Wilson, the director of football operations.

Hasenhuttl, who speaks good English, did also briefly worked with Paul Mitchell at Leipzig, who was Southampton’s former head of recruitment, but he played no role in his likely appointment.

After also being sacked by Stoke City in January, Hughes is the first manager to lose two Premier League jobs in a calendar year since Mike Walker in 1994. His departure follows a winless run in the Premier League that stretches 10 matches and, after jobs previously at Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City, Fulham and Queens Park Rangers, it does raise questions about his potential future as one of the most experienced managers in English football’s top flight.

Recent results have pushed Southampton into the relegation zone and, although there were many positives about Saturday’s game against Manchester United, which ended in a 2-2 draw, it was yet another match in which Southampton failed to convert a winning position.

Southampton have dropped 20 points from winning positions since Hughes was appointed in March; more than double every other Premier League club except for Huddersfield, who have lost 12 points.

Repeated defensive mistakes were a particular problem and the club now want a manager who they feel is in line with their long-term vision and philosophy.

Since Ronald Koeman left for Everton 30 months ago, Southampton have also sacked Claude Puel and Mauricio Pellegrino and there was a definite feeling this season that they could not stand back and let results slide.

Southampton have won just five out of 27 games under Hughes and, while he did lead them to safety last season, that was partly also a result of how Swansea capitulated in the final months.

The club’s board were still sufficiently encouraged by the way Southampton improved in the final weeks of the season to agree a three-year contract with Hughes and they will now face another hefty compensation bill.

A priority will also be to re-balance a squad which has good depth but lacks top-end star quality. Southampton also want to see more young players being given their opportunity and there are particularly high hopes for players like Yan Valery, Alfie Jones and Callum Slattery. As well as Hughes, assistant first team manager Mark Bowen and assistant first team coach Eddie Niedzwiecki also left the club on Monday.

“We would like to express our thanks to Mark and his staff for all of their efforts during their time at St Mary’s,” said a Southampton statement. Davis knows that he will almost certainly only be in charge for one game after Southampton only specified his position as manager for the Tottenham match. “It does indicate that,” he said.

“But whether that happens or not will be up to the guys upstairs. I'm taking the team up until Wednesday. I don't think it would be wise to even consider anything after that. My aspirations are to continue to support the club as best I can and if one day an opportunity arises to become a manager I would love that. But for now that's a million miles away from my mind."

Edited by trousers

Interesting Wilson mentions about desire to rebalance squad with "top end star quality"

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

What I find interesting is that we find it interesting. This is as a direct result of the ownership of the club being MIA/AWOL. Not that they have to hold our hands, but not saying anything to us, is not saying anything to anyone else as well.

If he wants to play the way he used to play then:

----------Gabbi/Ings---Long/Obafemi---------

-------Redmond--------------Armstrong--------

--------------Romeu/Hoj--Lemina---------------

Bertrand----???----------???----------Cedric

-------------------------McC-------------------------

Sounds like his style favours a pacy forward so you'd expect to see Long or Obafemi featuring. Austin sounds like a poor fit for the system.

I hope Armstrong can find a role in this shape but can't see any reason why not seeing as the advanced midfielders apparently play very narrowly. Could suit Elyounoussi as well if he gets a chance.

Centre back remains a dilemma he'll have to get to grips with.

Interesting Wilson mentions about desire to rebalance squad with "top end star quality"

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I heard similar from a very reliable source at the Fulham game who would have got it from the same person as JW.

Essentially we have lots of players on similar mid-sized PL wages and have lost our matchwinners, who typically cost more. This person had heard from the club that SFC intended next summer to sign a couple of more costly (mostly wages) players, try to get rid of some of the more costly fringe players or ageing first teamers and fill those spots with emerging Academy players on far less money, which covers the hits at the top end of the wage bill.

It makes total sense to me and is probably what other clubs do anyway. For example, Obafemi is on way less than Long or Austin, Slattery could replace Davis, Lewis replace Forster, Valery's emergence negates the need to sign a backup RB etc. That should then free up big wages for the right player, for example a genuinely quality CB or matchwinner forward type.

Whether they can carry out the strategy is another thing (who will be gagging to sign Long, Austin or Forster?), but there is definitely a recognition that we lack matchwinners which has to be a good thing.

Re Has - sounds like a genuine coup which will unite the fans - which is very important.

Slight shame he joins at the busiest stage of the season with little training ground time rather than earlier, but better late than never.

I can’t say I know a massive amount about this bloke, but from what I have seen I’m excited.

I’ve done a lot of research today/this evening and from what I can see, he looks a hybrid of Poch and Koeman and I think his style will really suit the PL, at the very least keep us entertained.

It looks like he has the press which we all loved under poch, but also that directness and pace on the counter which was fantastic under Koeman. I can see Long doing well under this bloke, like he did under Koeman. My only concern is we don’t really have a great deal of pace out wide.

Looks like he’s varied his tactics from a 433 to 4222. Personally given our squad, I hope he goes for 433.

If he can get an extra 5/10% out of the squad then we’ll easily stay up... a risk, as all appointments are, but I’m very very excited for Saturday, now.

Still rather cautious that this is saints, so I won’t get too carried away until I see it on the OS....

It's an amazing appointment. Think a lot don't watch German football or didn't hear about Leipzig's rise. Lot of players improved there, good football, intense football that'll get the crowd going. Exactly what I've have expected from Saints when we were actually good.

I didn't think we could get him, thought he'd be heading somewhere bigger.

Think we have plenty of players who'll suit his tactics, and finally might actually get to see them reaching potential, or returning to form in the case of many, It should suit Ings as the main striker. Not sure it will Gabbiadini, DEFINITELY won't Austin but he shouldn't be near our team anyway.

Bundesliga good to watch, and Leipzig looked great under him. And he gets excited like Klopp, which I like to see in a manager. He only left Leipzog because they would not give him a long term contract.

Not sure why everyone is quite so down on the centre backs. We've been rubbish but badly mismanaged. We've had back 3s back 4s and zero consistency in selection, with often no help defending from the front. Never seen a decent defence that didn't play together most weeks.

Right, we don't have an established partnership. So that's a dilemma he needs to solve. Which is what I said.

Ralph took over at RBL when they were on an upward trend. He continued that upward trend

It's easy taking on a club on the up and up, completely different challenge for him now.

He's got to 1st halt a heavy 2.5 year decline and then get us dancing again.

Has my full support. Come on wreck-it Ralph.

Love the groundwork going on here with the backhanded support you're giving, means your posts can be read both ways.

You really are an old pro at this.