10 year plan for St Mary's stadium

Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Are match day tickets on sale already? Surely we could work it out by how many are available when they go up. 

Echo journalist Alfie House says in the Tweet I posted earlier...

"Saints have confirmed membership information for the 2024/25 season with earlier ticket access as sales expected to be limited. Season tickets sold out at St Mary’s with I believe around 5% tickets held back for match-by-match sales."

5% = only a mere 1,626 seats left for match day tickets 

If that is true, season ticket numbers may be circa 26k/27k with the rest for corporate seats, the stadium boxes and the 3k away fans. 

https://x.com/AlfieHouseEcho/status/1809142722235601385?t=dCTc1uQ-vYRnQ_TqcEgP4A&s=19

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

"Saints have confirmed membership information for the 2024/25 season with earlier ticket access as sales expected to be limited. Season tickets sold out at St Mary’s with I believe around 5% tickets held back for match-by-match sales."

If that is true, season ticket numbers may be circa 26k/27k with the rest for corporate seats, the stadium boxes and the 3k away fans. 

https://x.com/AlfieHouseEcho/status/1809142722235601385?t=dCTc1uQ-vYRnQ_TqcEgP4A&s=19

I don't think the club have confirmed anywhere how many season tickets have been sold. They've decided they've reached a total they are happy to stop at , if sales are as high as we're assuming I worry that will encourage the club to put game by game prices sky high as so few for them to sell. Would be a shame. 

14 minutes ago, JRM said:

I don't think the club have confirmed anywhere how many season tickets have been sold. They've decided they've reached a total they are happy to stop at , if sales are as high as we're assuming I worry that will encourage the club to put game by game prices sky high as so few for them to sell. Would be a shame. 

Wouldn't get those nasty away supporters in the home end though, like the 100k Leeds fans that bought memberships.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Some of the season tickets holders will actually be in hospitality areas, so I think you’ll find there will be more match days tickets available than you suggest 

1 hour ago, oldsarum said:

Some of the season tickets holders will actually be in hospitality areas, so I think you’ll find there will be more match days tickets available than you suggest 

I included corporate seats & boxes in my post

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

With the area we live in expanding at such a fast rate, then surely it would be very short sighted to not expand our stadium, especially with the season ticket sales being so high this early.

On 06/07/2024 at 09:37, Matthew Le God said:

Won't be easy to get a ticket next season for many. Only 5% of capacity (1,626 seats) available to non season ticket holders.

Season tickets sold out...

https://x.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1809135612089250093?t=oIGUyreQO9oW6wrwCQfY7g&s=19

Another 5 seasons of that, people consistently clambering for tickets, still being settled in the PL, and it'll then be time for a discussion about expanding the stadium.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, egg said:

Another 5 seasons of that, people consistently clambering for tickets, still being settled in the PL, and it'll then be time for a discussion about expanding the stadium.  

That's about it.

11 hours ago, egg said:

So is that the purpose of the new fencing? 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I am pretty sure there has been ongoing discussions between the club and the Council at least from the Cortese days.

As far as I am aware the Council owns the freehold of a lot of land around the stadium and they certainly would like to 'gentrify' the Itchen waterfront.

However the Aggregate companies on the waterfront adjacent to St Marys have long leases and the ships would need to find a new home to operate.

In this respect there could be options over at Dibden Bay if that ever gets developed.

17 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I am pretty sure there has been ongoing discussions between the club and the Council at least from the Cortese days.

As far as I am aware the Council owns the freehold of a lot of land around the stadium and they certainly would like to 'gentrify' the Itchen waterfront.

However the Aggregate companies on the waterfront adjacent to St Marys have long leases and the ships would need to find a new home to operate.

In this respect there could be options over at Dibden Bay if that ever gets developed.

It must drive the council and club mad. It has such untapped potential on a residential and commerical basis that strip between Shamrock Quay and Ocean Village. 

Looks like Man Utd at home is sold out already a month in advance, not sure we've ever sold out like that before a season has already started (Nottingham Forest also sold out early) , potential for us to get bigger crowds if stadium allowed for it. 

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

Looks like Man Utd at home is sold out already a month in advance, not sure we've ever sold out like that before a season has already started (Nottingham Forest also sold out early) , potential for us to get bigger crowds if stadium allowed for it. 

To be expected I guess, but things will probably come back down to earth if we really struggle (quite likely).

Not unreasonable to want to see a prolonged period of sell-outs before committing to costly expansion.

14 minutes ago, JRM said:

There will be a fair few Utd supporters in the home end if history is anything to go by...

31 minutes ago, saint francis said:

There will be a fair few Utd supporters in the home end if history is anything to go by...

Think this will get clamped down on now. With digital tickets, the club will be able to work out who has purchased for them and is getting them into the ground and it'll be faster/easier to issue warnings and potentially block purchases moving forward for people who are found to not be using their season ticket / match ticket and giving it to oppo fans. They have also said that for certain big games they even have the possibility of disabling ticket transfers to emails that aren't already in the system or just disabling ticket transfers and the ticket exchange altogether for those types of fixtures

46 minutes ago, saint francis said:

I'm sure , but that's why I also noted Forest selling out well in advance. 

Games selling out to members with purchase history and season ticket holder additional, where the risk is if season ticket holders buy for United supporting mates  , if that happens and get caught they'll lose their season ticket so hopefully not many 

4 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Love that they're open late. One of the first steps I've seen towards getting the area around the stadium to be more of a social draw. Bit like Wembley with all of the restaurants, bars and fan zones around it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

This is genuinely a decent move by the club as long as prices aren’t too stupid.

Discovered last season that since Bluestar took over First and changed the routes slightly I can get a bus pretty much door to door so am happy to hang around here on a match day until the bus queue dies down.

The fact that it’s going to open at half time too to dilute the concourse crowd is a good move.

2 hours ago, bpsaint said:

This is genuinely a decent move by the club as long as prices aren’t too stupid.

Discovered last season that since Bluestar took over First and changed the routes slightly I can get a bus pretty much door to door so am happy to hang around here on a match day until the bus queue dies down.

The fact that it’s going to open at half time too to dilute the concourse crowd is a good move.

Thats where it falls down £6:20 a pint of Cider or Kingfisher shite £7:30 for Sapporo the Guiness ok at £5:90.

I will use my Camra vouchers in Spoons at £2:13 a pint!

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

Good luck to the club with this venture but I can't see it being overly popular unless they discount the cost of food and drink to below local prices. Why would you want to walk miles to hang out by the stadium when you could just have a few drinks at the pub?

I walked past today and their still putting up more fences, it looks like a prison and a throwback to the 80s 

As for the fanzone, not for me, fans should continue in their usual drinking holes to keep them from closure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chocolate Box said:

But have they repaired the bloody roof??!!!!!

What has Old Trafford got to do with it?

I shall continue to use various pubs with decent beer as the fizzy stuff at football grounds is often too cold, tasteless and makes me burp..

Keeping the Northam fan zone open until 9pm is optimism beyond belief. 

And even if it does work, as somebody that runs an independent pub (sourcing & serving the best local & national brews) I question why the club deserves yet another slice of the pie. Especially when only serving macro slop.

If it were building upon last season's guest bar setup (predominantly provided by Dancing Man) then fair enough - that'd be some welcome support towards local commerce. 

But it's all so transparently 'stack 'em high; sell 'em not so cheap'.

Sticking a couple of bands and DJs on doesn't change the fact that the club clearly sees you as a walking wallet.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ant said:

Keeping the Northam fan zone open until 9pm is optimism beyond belief. 

And even if it does work, as somebody that runs an independent pub (sourcing & serving the best local & national brews) I question why the club deserves yet another slice of the pie. Especially when only serving macro slop.

If it were building upon last season's guest bar setup (predominantly provided by Dancing Man) then fair enough - that'd be some welcome support towards local commerce. 

But it's all so transparently 'stack 'em high; sell 'em not so cheap'.

Sticking a couple of bands and DJs on doesn't change the fact that the club clearly sees you as a walking wallet.

They're keeping the fan zones open till 9pm? What feedback have they had to warrant that, because I can't see the average football fan still being at the ground 4 hours after the final whistle. 

Ambitious perhaps but I don't think 9pm is ridiculously crazy or anything. Pubs close at midnight but are usually emptying out quite a while before close. There will be a lot of test and learn in these early stages for the commercial and fan engagement staff

They're obviously assuming that people will leave SMS at about 5pm, with another PL game on TV at 5.30pm - and are thinking that if they can get people in to watch that game and let the traffic pass, then the late game ends at 7.30pm and gives 60 minutes until last orders

I might be tempted in to avoid the traffic and crowds moving back to the city centre immediately after the final whistle if there's an exciting enough evening game/it's pissing down outside the ground and I'm not ready for it, but I can't see myself ever being there at 9pm (unless we've had one hell of a result :lol:) - but it might be a handy tie-over until the train out of Southampton Ctl as an excuse to let the crowds go and not be crammed like sardines over the bridge and on the train

Edited by CSA96

The fan zones look pretty good. The white structure was getting cleaned but in the photos still looks filthy. All that metal needs jet washing by the looks of it as well. Shame they let the stadium get so bad, I read somewhere it had been ranked one of the dirtiest.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Season tickets sold out

Forest game sold out

Man Utd game sold out

Ipswich game sold out

https://x.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1828779818143428947

Desolation Row Concert GIF by My Chemical Romance

Very difficult for anyone to get a ticket unless you are a season ticket holder or a member, very few (if any) reach general sale.

😉😇

Are we the only ground in the country that can sell-out a month in advance and so turn many more away from being able to buy tickets, yet still have the same empty seats (particularly at the front of the Itchen) every home game?

On 21/08/2024 at 19:07, Give it to Ron said:

Thats where it falls down £6:20 a pint of Cider or Kingfisher shite £7:30 for Sapporo the Guiness ok at £5:90.

I will use my Camra vouchers in Spoons at £2:13 a pint!

I used my last two at the Forest game.:-(

Must be near (my friend's) renewal time!

1 minute ago, suewhistle said:

I used my last two at the Forest game.:-(

Must be near (my friend's) renewal time!

shouldn't have bought that keyring then you have afford another pint.

Edited by Turkish