10 year plan for St Mary's stadium

Matthew Le God

22 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Why delay what you can do now? Dragan can put some of his money without it hurting the club s finances. It would also not count for ffp rules

From an FFP perspective, we spend the money without restriction, and within a couple of years it starts to deliver more "income" to use against wages/transfer costs etc.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I think that Leicester design is horrible. I hope ours won't look anything like that.

It looks a bit futuristic compared to the rest of the stadium but I don't dislike it. From inside I can't see any expansion we might do looking much different and that would add 8,000 seats. Maybe the roof is a bit too blue for us...but I'm sure we wouldn't just copy them anyway.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't excite MLG :D 

This is just for the fan zones outside of the Northam.

bit more than that.

Half of the Car Parking (and Bike parking) spaces are being removed around the entire stadium to fit in more facilities within the grounds.

image.thumb.png.b8ee0b3f787874bc094defc711003d7b.png

Edited by Nolan

58 minutes ago, Nolan said:

bit more than that.

Half of the Car Parking (and Bike parking) spaces are being removed around the entire stadium to fit in more facilities within the grounds.

image.thumb.png.b8ee0b3f787874bc094defc711003d7b.png

That's a lot of car parking spaces to go, especially when tv crews use a lot of them, they'll be sending them up to the pay and display off St Mary's Street now 

2 hours ago, Danbert said:

Planning permission granted: https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c6pp236lxw3o

Surprised the club can justify reducing the number of disabled parking spaces from 57 to 30. Have they reduced the number of disabled seats in the stadium or provided alternative means for disabled supporters to get to the stadium? On the face of that seems quite poorly thought through.

Edited by Saint86

12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Surprised the club can justify reducing the number of disabled parking spaces from 57 to 30. Have they reduced the number of disabled seats in the stadium or provided alternative means for disabled supporters to get to the stadium? On the face of that seems quite poorly thought through.

I guess they are sticking to the rules of X number of disabled spaces per y number of total spaces.  Reduce the total, reduce the amount of disabled spaces....

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Indeed. Would've thought one of the primary reasons for parking at the ground is disability and/or limited mobility. Sure isn't for a quick getaway.

Unless we're missing something I'd have suggested going for a roughly 50:50 split with the remaining spaces, which would've maintained similar numbers of disabled ones.

Anybody remember the little tear-off bus vouchers on the tickets in the mid 2000s? Something like that wouldn't go amiss.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ant said:

Indeed. Would've thought one of the primary reasons for parking at the ground is disability and/or limited mobility. Sure isn't for a quick getaway.

Unless we're missing something I'd have suggested going for a roughly 50:50 split with the remaining spaces, which would've maintained similar numbers of disabled ones.

Anybody remember the little tear-off bus vouchers on the tickets in the mid 2000s? Something like that wouldn't go amiss.

Free bus travel on match days with those vouchers, I think it was a condition of building the stadium later dropped, should bring it back really , they have similar at German grounds to encourage people to use public transport 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ant said:

Yes i think so. This was in relation to the match day specific shuttle busses that were put on between various destinations and the stadium? 

I think it would be a good idea to bring these back, and its certainly likely to be popular with the fans for a fairly minimal cost on match days - anything that facilitates sustainable and easy travel to the ground should be explored tbh.

I should add that I'm not impacted in the slightest by the reduction in disabled parking for the stadium, i just think its incredibly poor from the club (on face value) to cut it down to so few spaces - the demand doesn't magically drop because they've halved the car park size, and there really are limited options for the disabled match day fans (and i guess staff) that made use of those spaces - especially given the changes to the away fan access to the stadium as well now (reduced number of routes, narrow congested ramp over the footbridge, and longer routes to certain parts of the ground). 

Edited by Saint86

Could be wrong, but think I read a segment in the planning application document on the topic of disabled parking spaces at SMS and how they're very rarely all used/close to being all used, which the club was presenting as justification for reallocation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Yes i think so. This was in relation to the match day specific shuttle busses that were put on between various destinations and the stadium? 

I think it would be a good idea to bring these back, and its certainly likely to be popular with the fans for a fairly minimal cost on match days - anything that facilitates sustainable and easy travel to the ground should be explored tbh.

I should add that I'm not impacted in the slightest by the reduction in disabled parking for the stadium, i just think its incredibly poor from the club (on face value) to cut it down to so few spaces - the demand doesn't magically drop because they've halved the car park size, and there really are limited options for the disabled match day fans (and i guess staff) that made use of those spaces - especially given the changes to the away fan access to the stadium as well now (reduced number of routes, narrow congested ramp over the footbridge, and longer routes to certain parts of the ground). 

I remember using the tear off bus vouchers for a few years after St Mary's opened. You could use them on any bus within the Southampton boundary.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ant said:

We did have a Park and Ride scheme in our last season in the prem which got discontinued after relegation. Guessing the vouchers fell by the wayside in similar circumstances.

47 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

We did have a Park and Ride scheme in our last season in the prem which got discontinued after relegation. Guessing the vouchers fell by the wayside in similar circumstances.

Maybe also in part due to the fact they built all over the land at Windhover which was one of the biggest park and ride car parks we had

• Like 1

On 26/06/2024 at 15:36, CSA96 said:

Could be wrong, but think I read a segment in the planning application document on the topic of disabled parking spaces at SMS and how they're very rarely all used/close to being all used, which the club was presenting as justification for reallocation.

Wow. Season before last I rang up twice as my dad was coming to a game and asked if there was disabled parking I could use (he has a blue badge), on both occasions I was told 'absolutely none, they are all sold out/allocated at the start of the season'. Their recommendation was to use the drop off and collection point at the front of the stadium. Much easier said than done on match days and it was a real pain both times. Dropped him off and took 40 mins for me to get back to him, nowhere for him to sit either. Longer in reverse.

4 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Wow. Season before last I rang up twice as my dad was coming to a game and asked if there was disabled parking I could use (he has a blue badge), on both occasions I was told 'absolutely none, they are all sold out/allocated at the start of the season'. Their recommendation was to use the drop off and collection point at the front of the stadium. Much easier said than done on match days and it was a real pain both times. Dropped him off and took 40 mins for me to get back to him, nowhere for him to sit either. Longer in reverse.

Hmm, maybe I am conflating the disabled spaces with the bike spaces? Tbf that might make more sense, those bike racks on the Kingsland side of the ground have never looked overly full to me (Kingsland STH)

Just driven round the ground, interesting progress - a new fenced off walkway behind the bike storage area and two new large portacabin like bars/food areas in situ.

On 26/06/2024 at 17:35, The Cat said:

Maybe also in part due to the fact they built all over the land at Windhover which was one of the biggest park and ride car parks we had

There was also a Park & Ride introduced at the tail end of our last Prem season using the Multi Storey at Nursling.
It wasnt advertised too well and therefore take up was low.

2 hours ago, AllyD said:

Just driven round the ground, interesting progress - a new fenced off walkway behind the bike storage area and two new large portacabin like bars/food areas in situ.

Fenced off walkway linked to away entrance? 

On 26/06/2024 at 13:23, Saint86 said:

Not trying to be funny but one of our stands is now entirely standing so surely that's affected how many spaces we need?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Saw these pics of some of the work getting under way at St Mary's earlier this week (from @sfcwxl on Twitter)

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wonder why the gates don't go down to nearer the ground level?

3 minutes ago, M271 said:

I was wondering that too. Maybe it's so that it can be an open flow round the stadium pre-game but then they can put in temporary partitions shortly before KO and after games where they anticipate some aggro, so they get the away fans in/out without a flow of Saints fans or marching away fans through the home support.

Edit: just re-read your message and realise you mean they don't touch the pavement! Fair question too

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, M271 said:

Any trouble, kettle the away fans, shut the gates on them, stewards police and everyone else can safely stand outside the fence laughing as the police dogs are let loose to crawl in under the gates and have their fun 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crystal Palace are another PL club that think a big infrastructure investment will help them increase revenue, which will then allow them to spend more due to new financial rules coming in restrict you to a spending a % of income.

34 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Crystal Palace are another PL club that think a big infrastructure investment will help them increase revenue, which will then allow them to spend more due to new financial rules coming in restrict you to a spending a % of income.

Will take them to a 34,000 seater stadium. A ground so gigantic I can't even imagine it.

The ambition of these clubs are completely blowing us out of the water.

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)

Palace are interesting. They have a huge catchment area..... Croydon is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, town in the country without a pro football team. Population 385k. Then there is a huge area of south London that has Wimbledon, and then the next closest is (I think, but happy to be told otherwise) Chelsea then Milwall. IMO if you wanted to buy a PL team and increased value of it, Palace would probably be top for me.

Edited by angelman

On 30/06/2024 at 14:39, CB Fry said:

Will take them to a 34,000 seater stadium. A ground so gigantic I can't even imagine it.

FFS, wish we were Crystal Croyden.

• Haha 1

As a % increase still  a decent improvement for Palace 

Irrelevant to the point that an infrastructure investment ultimately allows you to spend more on transfers and wages under incoming financial rules. 

22 hours ago, angelman said:

Palace are interesting. They have a huge catchment area..... Croydon is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, town in the country without a pro football team. Population 385k. Then there is a huge area of south London that has Wimbledon, and then the next closest is (I think, but happy to be told otherwise) Chelsea then Milwall. IMO if you wanted to buy a PL team and increased value of it, Palace would probably be top for me.

Our catchment area

On 01/07/2024 at 23:07, angelman said:

Played in a charity game at Tooting & Mitchams ground last Sunday, there were a lot of Palace shirts around and mainly by kids so good to see they haven't gone for the likes of Chelsea/Arsenal. 

On 30/06/2024 at 14:03, Matthew Le God said:

If only Palace prioritised the god awful away end !

13 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

If only Palace prioritised the god awful away end !

The Arthur Wait is absolutely appalling! Ok it gave us Dellhurst Park but the concourses and toilets are a disgrace!

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Won't be easy to get a ticket next season for many. Only 5% of capacity (1,626 seats) available to non season ticket holders.

Season tickets sold out...

https://x.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1809135612089250093?t=oIGUyreQO9oW6wrwCQfY7g&s=19

https://x.com/AlfieHouseEcho/status/1809142722235601385?t=dCTc1uQ-vYRnQ_TqcEgP4A&s=19

Great to see that relegation really didn’t harm our support last season, and likewise people aren’t/weren’t put off by the dire 2022/23 season and the likelihood of a few beatings coming our way.

it’d be good if the club take a good look at expanding now it’s clear the fan base is there.

• Like 1

As any expansion would be over the Kingsland perhaps the extra catering within the new fence is connected and they are seeing how it might work? But I presume the external wall would also be further out than now so the internal concourses would be extended, but maybe not sufficiently?

Who knows? At least there is some small sign of investment going on.

Not sure why the club don’t release actual ST sales numbers. They used to back in the earlier days of St Mary’s. I seem to recall 23K being a high and Rupert Lowe MP stating he wanted to see 25k over multiple seasons before he consider stadium expansion.

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Not sure why the club don’t release actual ST sales numbers. They used to back in the earlier days of St Mary’s. I seem to recall 23K being a high and Rupert Lowe MP stating he wanted to see 25k over multiple seasons before he consider stadium expansion.

Are match day tickets on sale already? Surely we could work it out by how many are available when they go up. 

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Are match day tickets on sale already? Surely we could work it out by how many are available when they go up. 

You could but it’s never going to be too accurate, you have to take into account all the corporate boxes, the lounges, comps for staff/players/guestsetc, that’s all a bit of an unknown quantity. Coukd probably make a best guess though I suppose.