All things Labour Party

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

5 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Let’s see what they look like when manufacturers in the old Red Wall actually experience what it’s like to ‘go WTO’ in the middle of pandemic. Xenophobia doesn’t put food on the table.

That's the main reason the polls are pulling away at the moment.....people are getting the freebies off the government they accused Labour of offering. As you say, let's wait until those in the red wall realise the people they marched against for so long don't actually give two figs about them anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So you think that 'going WTO' will be so catastrophic that people who work in manufacturing in the 'old Red Wall' will not have enough money to feed themselves?

The putting the food on the table was metaphorical but people in those seats certainly won’t have voted to be poorer. And a levelling up agenda can only work if there’s a big enough economy to level out.

Seems the industry itself is concerned - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/no-deal-brexit-red-wall-seats-boris-johnson-majority-election-a9621421.html

Edited by saint1977

13 hours ago, saint1977 said:

The putting the food on the table was metaphorical but people in those seats certainly won’t have voted to be poorer. And a levelling up agenda can only work if there’s a big enough economy to level out.

Seems the industry itself is concerned - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/no-deal-brexit-red-wall-seats-boris-johnson-majority-election-a9621421.html

I think some people have done a calculation and decided that some short term economic pain and convenience was less important than the ability to be sovereign and have more control back from Brussels. So yes I do think some people will have voted knowing the potential economic consequences. There's likely to be a deal though. 

• 3 weeks later...

I read that Dawn Butler has made the headlines accusing the Police of "racial profiling her" when they stopped a car she was in.

However, it now appears after a little scrutiny that the driver of the car was in fact white. Frankly, I'm heartily fed up with the BLM situation and the way that our police have given the knee in supplication to the cause, and now they have taken to victimising white drivers in order to demonstrate that racism is not endemic in the Met. They had spotted Dawn Butler in the car and thought it an ideal time to demonstrate to her how even-handed they were, but unfortunately it backfired because she mistakenly thought that it was her being profiled and not her white driver.

10 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

According to the BBC, Dawn Butler specifically stated the cr was being driven by a black male friend...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53720835

Mixed race apparently but looks white to me. Its OK though because race baiter in chief Mr Lammy has offered to pray for her. 

Edited by hypochondriac

57 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Nothing in the news said it was a left hand drive car.

Very true.  I think that picture is taken from the video that Ms Butler posted on her social meeja.  Maybe she had the camera on a 'mirror' setting or something - at one point it did look like she was sitting on the right hand side as well, but at another point in the video it looked like she was on the left...

She is definitely sitting on the right in this pic, so it must have been left hand drive....

spacer.png

Edited by Weston Super Saint

• 1 month later...

The reaction to Starmer's speech today at the virtual Labour conference was interesting. Whilst there has been a lot of praise , Momentum attacked it  because it didn't mention Black Lives Matters, the Green New Deal or the rising number of evictions.

These may all be important issues  in themselves but perhaps by ignoring them, the Labour party is beginning to realise that to win elections you have to concentrate on issues that matter to the majority of the public. I really don't think that the concerns of Momentum are those of  most people. With Momentum sidelined to a vocal pressure group and Johnson's bumbling, things are beginning to look up for Labour. 

9 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

The reaction to Starmer's speech today at the virtual Labour conference was interesting. Whilst there has been a lot of praise , Momentum attacked it  because it didn't mention Black Lives Matters, the Green New Deal or the rising number of evictions.

These may all be important issues  in themselves but perhaps by ignoring them, the Labour party is beginning to realise that to win elections you have to concentrate on issues that matter to the majority of the public. I really don't think that the concerns of Momentum are those of  most people. With Momentum sidelined to a vocal pressure group and Johnson's bumbling, things are beginning to look up for Labour. 

Also, what I find interesting is how Momentum and all the Corbynites have started to go mad about this patriotism line of Labour's.....they do seem to forget that the party Corbyn wanted to go back to was once fully endorsed by Enoch Powell for being anti-common market and for what reason? National interests and ahem.....patriotism. It's something a lot of people up north value so it's not really surprising......it's also something Johnson has played against Labour for too long.

6 hours ago, Hockey_saint said:

Also, what I find interesting is how Momentum and all the Corbynites have started to go mad about this patriotism line of Labour's.....they do seem to forget that the party Corbyn wanted to go back to was once fully endorsed by Enoch Powell for being anti-common market and for what reason? National interests and ahem.....patriotism. It's something a lot of people up north value so it's not really surprising......it's also something Johnson has played against Labour for too long.

Aren't patriots 'racists' or has that changed now that Labour is endorsing patriotism and nationalism?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Verbal said:

So I expect Corbynists here there and everywhere will be crafting their fulsome mea culpas for the crimes and abuses highlighted in today's EHRC report.

Glad to see the true working class are able to post online during their morning's work time. Having tea with Lord Adonis are we? 

52 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

Glad to see the true working class are able to post online during their morning's work time. Having tea with Lord Adonis are we? 

At least you got the first part right.  Now what about your view on the Corbyn-led culture of vicious and illegal anti-semitism now formally confirmed by the EHRC?

5 hours ago, Verbal said:

At least you got the first part right.  Now what about your view on the Corbyn-led culture of vicious and illegal anti-semitism now formally confirmed by the EHRC?

I'm still waiting for one example of true antisemitism that wasnt dealt with, which is surely the whole point. 

Until then, I urge anyone who values the broadening of the debate brought to UK politics by Jeremy Corbyn to donate:

https://uk.gofundme.com/f/47gyy-jeremy039s-legal-fund

16 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

I'm still waiting for one example of true antisemitism that wasnt dealt with, which is surely the whole point. 

By 'dealt with' are you including inappropriate interference?

The first breach was of political interference by the leader's office - led, at the time, by Jeremy Corbyn - when dealing with complaints of anti-Semitism.

The investigation found evidence of 23 instances of "inappropriate involvement" by Mr Corbyn's office out of the 70 files it looked at.

This included staff influencing decisions on suspensions or whether to investigate a claim.

One incident reportedly saw the party leader's staff advising a complaint against Mr Corbyn himself - for allegedly supporting an anti-Semitic mural - should be dismissed.

Some decisions, said the watchdog, were also made because of "likely press interest rather than any formal criteria", and the party "adopted a practice of political interference", making the EHRC believe it occurred more regularly in anti-Semitism cases.

This, it said, was "indirectly discriminatory and unlawful" and put the person making the complaint at a disadvantage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54731222

1 hour ago, Jonnyboy said:

Still waiting.

Impatient.

And does it matter ? Corbyn is directly responsible for making Labour unelectable at the last election, whether it be his manifesto or his stance on Brexit. Momentum's Bolshevik style central committee control freakery drove tens of thousands in the constitruency branches away from their traditional voting pattern.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Impatient.

And does it matter ? Coirbyn is directly responsible for making Labour unelectable at the last election, whether it be his manifesto or his stance on Brexit. Momentum's Bolshevik style central committee control freakery drove tens of thousands in the constitruency branches away from their traditional voting pattern.

Yeah only been waiting 5 years. 

And his style, whatever it was, isn't illegal. Most reports I've seen about Starmer is that he's far more top-down dictats / authoritarian in style. All CLPs will have to follow his line or risk expulsions. Quite Stalin-esque. 

Looks possible that most of the hard left electoral liabilities will quit the party and set up on their own. If he planned this Starmer has been brilliant. 

Until this he was facing years long war of attrition over every policy, party post and candidate selection - against a backdrop of party civil war played out in the media. If he can provoke the headbangers to stomp off and become outsiders criticising Labour for being too social democratic that will be manna from heaven and reassure voters like nothing else. 

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Looks possible that most of the hard left electoral liabilities will quit the party and set up on their own. If he planned this Starmer has been brilliant. 

Until this he was facing years long war of attrition over every policy, party post and candidate selection - against a backdrop of party civil war played out in the media. If he can provoke the headbangers to stomp off and become outsiders criticising Labour for being too social democratic that will be manna from heaven and reassure voters like nothing else. 

Absolutely. Master stroke if it actually happens

3 hours ago, ecuk268 said:

Pointless whataboutery from a fairly tiresome satire outlet. I think Starmer has played a blinder and yet the hard left supporters seem to be furious that their party is once again electable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Pointless whataboutery from a fairly tiresome satire outlet. I think Starmer has played a blinder and yet the hard left supporters seem to be furious that their party is once again electable.

Actually it's not all of Corbynists who've disgraced themselves by refusing to acknowledge the truth of the EHRC report.  The Corbynist memes and youtubes being dropped in here by the usual suspect are a small taste of the misinformation industry from his mindless cult - but for others, there's no escaping the awful reality that Corbynism sucked into Labour some of the most vile, Jew-baiting characters on the far left, and have said so.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Every Corbyn lover knocking one out of BIden beating Trump should remember that BIden has used Corbyn as an example of how to lead a party 🤣

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1344411/joe-biden-news-attack-jeremy-corbyn-too-left-wing-labour-party-us-election-spt

I do get what goes on in your head -  'I love Trump. People who don't like Trump are lefties. Lefties love Corbyn. Biden doesn't like Corbyn. I win'. 

Trouble with that is. Almost every poster here who doesn't like Trump also thought Corbyn was useless. So I guess you aren't uniquely smart after all.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, buctootim said:

I do get what goes on in your head -  'I love Trump. People who don't like Trump are lefties. Lefties love Corbyn. Biden doesn't like Corbyn. I win'. 

Trouble with that is. Almost every poster here who doesn't like Trump also thought Corbyn was useless. So I guess you aren't uniquely smart after all.  

This post shows you have absolutely no idea what goes on in my head.

22 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What word did you use when Oliver Letwin, Ken Clarke et al had their whips removed?  I don't recall any cries of 'persecution'...

What about, what about, what about. 

I'll repeat FTF's questions. What's a better word given that his supporters claim his treatment is politically motivated? 

Edited by egg

22 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Which is why my original post stated : "strange choice of words" ;) 

Err, the word you're arguing against does work, it's just that you're suggesting something that doesn't.