Cricket World Cup

krissyboy31

Just how sh!t were England today!! Embarrassing how poor they are at this form of cricket and yet the same old faces get picked time after time. 2 English players smashed it in the recent Big Bash in Australian conditions, against predominantly Australian bowlers,; Kevin Pieterson and Michael Carberry, yet because of the selector's collective pig-headedness, neither of them are anywhere near the squad. And don't get me started of the bowling!! Why can't we find somebody called Mitchell that can bowl at 150K's?

I'm in Sydney for the Semi-Final at the SCG, are England likely to be in it? If so I may buy a ticket.

Nailed on. Ignore all the evidence to the contrary like Morgan's batting average for last 5 one dayers of 0.4 runs (0, 2, 0, 0, 0). We are are bound to peak

Edited by whelk

Only if you peasants "Stay Humble" :lol:

"Stay Humble?" We're sh!t!! Just wish English Cricket had a Les Reed type visionary character in charge but it's still the old school tie brigade it always has been!! When Duncan Fletcher was coach he had a plan to get English Cricket to the top and he did it. We had absolutely no plan as to how to stay there. Anyone outside the "elite" who thinks outside the box are castigated as a bad influence or trouble maker, so we continuously get this thinking inside the box, the cricket box i.e. bo!!ocls.

"Stay Humble?" We're sh!t!! Just wish English Cricket had a Les Reed type visionary character in charge but it's still the old school tie brigade it always has been!! When Duncan Fletcher was coach he had a plan to get English Cricket to the top and he did it. We had absolutely no plan as to how to stay there. Anyone outside the "elite" who thinks outside the box are castigated as a bad influence or trouble maker, so we continuously get this thinking inside the box, the cricket box i.e. bo!!ocls.

We were never top under Fletcher. It was Andy Flower.

That's what you get for not embracing the IPL and big bash and shunning players who played in them previously ,look how far India and Australia have came we're just not on the same level you can't get by playing test style cricket ! Also the squad could have been picked better (Kp aside he's done for england) there are better limited covers players out there

Sat up to watch England's innings this morning and went to bed feeling fairly confident! Woke up to the realisation (again) that we are carp!

Ha ha, I did exactly same. Didn't even bother watching highlights of the Sri Lankan reply to see just how bad Engkand's bowling/fielding was.

I watched the whole game live ( it was during the day here :D ). However I am now beginning

to be a bit concerned about how England will do against Australia in the "Ashes" later this year.

I know that it won't be exactly the same players but as I understand it management/selectors

will still be the same. :(

Someone please cheer me up by telling me that I am wrong.

I watched the whole game live ( it was during the day here :D ). However I am now beginning

to be a bit concerned about how England will do against Australia in the "Ashes" later this year.

I know that it won't be exactly the same players but as I understand it management/selectors

will still be the same. :(

Someone please cheer me up by telling me that I am wrong.

Sorry Saint in Paradise, that is a fact unless Moores gets the sack again. If it rains v either Bangladesh or Afghanistan they've had it I think. I watched the batting and then the bowling on highlights the next day. Great innings by Root and by Buttler after copping a horrible bouncer which hit him over the ear first ball by Malinga. Morgan is miles out of form, Bell at least looked better but move him down to three and start with Hales and give him a proper run in the side. Feel sorry for Gary Ballance, was chucked in cold and hope it doesn't affect his Test confidence. Another poor decision by Moores and the selectors.

Bowling - Anderson and Broad isn't working. How come Southee, Boult and Starc can all swing the white Kookaburra at will? Jimmy's varieties aren't effective as they usually are. Broad's bowled a couple of good overs and a lot of filth. I'd drop Broad and stick with Jimmy but bring in Jordan, Ravi and Tredwell. Finn needs to play some Aussie club cricket to try and get some pace and confidence back. Woakes is a useful option these days but needs to develop a yorker and a decent slower ball. Damning indictment on domestic cricket that he's reached this level without a decent mastery of those. On the positive side, at least they've haven't recalled Dernbach. Bopara coming back in will boost the lower and lower middle orders and his medium pace is another variety.

As for the summer, England will do well not to lose 5-0. I actually don't think Johnson will do a lot in English conditions but Starc and Siddle will. The biggest issue is that I cannot see where 20 Aussie wickets will come from.

Does that make England the 2nd best ODI side in the British Isles ?

I think that we really should, in this instance spread it about a bit, and call the team by it's proper/full name of England & Wales. I know that there are many in Wales who want their own cricket team, and after this, who can blame them.

Everyone associated with English cricket need to take a good look at themselves! We've gone from number 1 in the world to no bodies it's a disgrace if Moores is manager for the Ashes well get a pasting!

Everyone associated with English cricket need to take a good look at themselves! We've gone from number 1 in the world to no bodies it's a disgrace if Moores is manager for the Ashes well get a pasting!

That's what coaching by laptop, stats and sound bite does to you. Moores was woefully out of his depth first time around - everyone blamed KP but his helicopter style alienated other senior players such as Michael Vaughan too. Moores will get a county job again quickly as someone will start the season badly but appoint Vaughan for West Indies tour and NZ home with an experienced coach supporting. At least he'll undo the mental knots and several players he captained said that he encouraged players to express themselves which is badly needed.

There is a decent core to work with - Root, Ali, Balance, Buttler, Jordan, Woakes and a couple of old hands I'd keep on the scene in Bell and Jimmy. Cook needs to get bat on ball for Essex before the Ashes so rest him and he'll come back hungry. Broad is finished as first XI player at the top level, OK squad player, but not too many ready options emerging to replace him.

• 5 weeks later...
Downton has been given the boot. First of many with any luck!! Would like to see Michael Vaughan given the main job and given carte blanche to overhaul the whole coaching and selection strategies.

With you on this. Strauss is being touted too, and Alec Stewart, but Vaughan is the best choice for a modern, free thinking man who has been out of playing long enough to reflect, but not too long.

• 4 weeks later...

Not my most sensible decision ever (but it is mainly about catching up with distant mates, as usual) - am off to Dublin soon to take in tomorrow's match. Our team is virtually a development squad, with numerous opportunities up for grabs -v- an ever improving Ireland. Throw in the weather and it should be more interesting than any of the WC matches.

Just back. Obviously not the best cricket. Never had much expectation for Ireland in May though typically it was sunny today... But a cracking time with two good mates and we gave it a good go at drinking ourselves into hospital