Harrison Reed - Official: Signs for Fulham

washsaint

18 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

FFC : "The club can confirm that Harrison Reed HAS returned to Southampton"

He's not seeing out the season with them?

Hopefully, returned to Southampton to negotiate a contract extension.

Can’t see that tweet anywhere?

The official Fulham Twitter account are certainly laying on the praise thickly today... Can't work out if they are doing it because they are confident of signing him or if they're fearful of losing him so are trying to charm him into staying...

Screenshot_20200715-171649.png

57 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

If you watch the video that MLG posted, it takes you to Twitter. After the video, below it is a post from FFC.

image.png.c9032df53dac4537e340a0fee663a307.png

That is not a post by Fulham. It is a post by a random Fulham fan called Charlie Keeble making a 'joke'.

Edited by Matthew Le God

57 minutes ago, trousers said:

That's a tongue-in-cheek post from a Fulham fan...

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is not a post by Fulham. It is a post by a random Fulham fan called Charlie Keeble making a 'joke'.

Keep up... ;)

A mate who's a Leeds fan and watches a lot of Championship football said that he'd seen a good bit of Reed this season. He said he thought he was exactly what Leeds are lacking in Midfield. He also said that he'd be in the top 3 Championship players that he's seen this season. The others being Benrahma and Pereira. 

17 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Was Ralph asked today in the embargoed section of his press conference about Reed? I'd watch myself but i'm stuck at work.

Yes he was. Sounded quite promising from what I listened to; said they monitor all their players out on loan, and complimented his energy off the ball as well as what he does on it. From memory he mentioned they'll assess his future when he returns. Personally think in a market where money is tight, he's really worth a chance.

Edited by GGalpin

12 minutes ago, GGalpin said:

Yes he was. Sounded quite promising from what I listened to; said they monitor all their players out on loan, and complimented his energy off the ball as well as what he does on it. From memory he mentioned they'll assess his future when he returns. Personally think in a market where money is tight, he's really worth a chance.

I think that he definately offers alot of what Ralph demands from his players, Especially in the middle of the park where you need to be able to trust someone to bust a gut all game. 

His all round game has improved too, I think he could be a good asset, But i wonder whether the player feels he would like to move on, And or, Whether Ralph feels that there is better out there. 

IM deffo in the give him a shot group, As i feel he could be a good player for us, But we shall see. 

Thanks for the update.

Reading all of these rave reviews from Fulham and Leeds fans, it sounds like Reed is turning into a Kante style player.

No doubt he would suit Ralph's system and we don't have much money to replace PEH. I know some think PEH won't be missed but if he had signed a new contract at Saints, I wonder if I'd still be reading that. For me PEH is a consistent player at the simple stuff and if Reed can replicate fizzy pop form in the PL, just maybe it will soften the blow of losing our former captain.

Edited by goodymatt

Ralph's exact words on Reed during yesterday's press conference: 

We are always focussing on our players that are out on loan and very happy when they perform well. Harry is definitely a player who also showed here that he is normally perfect for our philosophy because he’s definitely a very aggressive player against the ball. He can win balls and also with the ball he has the qualities. This is important for us to see how he develops and how good he is

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

😂 I still hope the grand plan is to shift Pierre and give Reed the chance to compete with JWP and Romeu for the 2 central roles. That way we can spend whatever cash we have on some priority areas.

Sounds like we are doing some canny deals with salisu for what seems like a bargain, maybe kwp for a reasonable price and the price banking 15-20 for hojbjerg. Maybe we will have enough for a creative midfielder and a striker after all. 

• Like 3

On 20/07/2020 at 21:29, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

It would be disappointing if we let Reed go to Burnley. I genuinely believe he's capable of doing a job for us. 

I'd be surprised, Burnley are all over the place now, lots of rumours that Dyche is going to walk at the end of the season due to lack of backing from the board. I'm still annoyed they got Brownhill off Bristol City, he'd be perfect for us.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

“My loans have all been really positive, I’ve learnt from three great managers, and I feel like I’m at the stage now where I’ve established myself in a very good side. At the end of the day, I’m a Southampton player, but after becoming a major part of the team I’m in, if those opportunities were suddenly to be reduced or taken away from me, I’d probably really struggle with it.”

Translation: "I have no intention of going back to Southampton if I'm not going to be in the starting 11 week-in-week-out"

Which is fair enough

Edited by trousers

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

“My loans have all been really positive, I’ve learnt from three great managers, and I feel like I’m at the stage now where I’ve established myself in a very good side. At the end of the day, I’m a Southampton player, but after becoming a major part of the team I’m in, if those opportunities were suddenly to be reduced or taken away from me, I’d probably really struggle with it.”

Translation: "I have no intention of going back to Southampton if I'm not going to be in the starting 11 week-in-week-out"

Which is fair enough

Yep, would be a shame though. He's got the high energy intensity, tackling and passing ability to be a really good player in our system. 

But if he wants to go, isn't going to sign a new contract for us, try and get £10-15million from Fulham or another promoted side and move on.

He's been excellent again tonight - great engine and quick. His set pieces have been a bit crap but we already have someone good at those so that's not an issue! He's helped his defence out and has good movement off the ball too.

As someone said, if he wasn't our player and we looked into signing him, not many people would complain after the season he's just had. I understand he may look for first team football but I definitely think he can make the step up to the Premier League now and he may be one we regret selling. If we do keep him, his contract would be an issue.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

He's been excellent again tonight - great engine and quick. His set pieces have been a bit crap but we already have someone good at those so that's not an issue! He's helped his defence out and has good movement off the ball too.

As someone said, if he wasn't our player and we looked into signing him, not many people would complain after the season he's just had. I understand he may look for first team football but I definitely think he can make the step up to the Premier League now and he may be one we regret selling. If we do keep him, his contract would be an issue.

Didn't see it but listed as having an assist for the 1st Fulham goal.

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Didn't see it but listed as having an assist for the 1st Fulham goal.

Yeah he laid it off to Onomah who then beat about 4 players and scored haha, so not one i’m sure would make Reed’s highlights reel! But he had a great game, just dictated the pace, won the ball back and never gave it away. Was surprised he takes the set pieces but despite some poor ones tonight, the fact he takes almost everything suggests they rate his delivery and passing ability. I’d like us to use him personally. JWP, Romeu, Reed, Smallbone as a selection of CM’s would be decent imo, they aren’t expected to provide huge amounts of creativity so i would rather the PEH money was invested into a Lallana/Tadic like playmaker, who can find the bit of magic to carve open a packed defence late on.

12 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Yeah he laid it off to Onomah who then beat about 4 players and scored haha, so not one i’m sure would make Reed’s highlights reel! But he had a great game, just dictated the pace, won the ball back and never gave it away. Was surprised he takes the set pieces but despite some poor ones tonight, the fact he takes almost everything suggests they rate his delivery and passing ability. I’d like us to use him personally. JWP, Romeu, Reed, Smallbone as a selection of CM’s would be decent imo, they aren’t expected to provide huge amounts of creativity so i would rather the PEH money was invested into a Lallana/Tadic like playmaker, who can find the bit of magic to carve open a packed defence late on.

Best thing is if Ralph takes a look pre-season & decides from there.

There will be a queue of clubs for him regardless.  He might fall into the Chambers/Targett of 'want to keep, but will help us strengthen elsewhere' bracket.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

There will be a queue of clubs for him regardless.  He might fall into the Chambers/Targett of 'want to keep, but will help us strengthen elsewhere' bracket.

No, I think the Saints Forum should decide this one. I remember watching Reed at SMS a few years back when he was having the kick about at half time. He was taking 50 yard balls, controlling them perfectly and without letting the ball touch the ground sending them back on the volley to his team mate. He has a decent amount of skill.

21 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

“Fulham are keen to take up their option to sign Reed on a permanent deal, although the agreed price will fluctuate significantly based on whether they achieve promotion.“

I hadn’t thought of the 2 prices thing before.

Wonder if this is solely at their option or if we could veto that and bring him back.

16 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

The Højbjerg situation has a bearing on it too.

I always thought he offered us something different in the middle. No doubt about his work rate. He's one of those niggly players. A mate describes him as being like a Jack Russell. Never stops running and not afraid to have a go at anyone. 

I'll be really disappointed if we let him go, particularly if it's to a team like Fulham or Burnley. 

41 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I always thought he offered us something different in the middle. No doubt about his work rate. He's one of those niggly players. A mate describes him as being like a Jack Russell. Never stops running and not afraid to have a go at anyone. 

I'll be really disappointed if we let him go, particularly if it's to a team like Fulham or Burnley. 

He's always reminded me of Neil Lennon, a player I wished we'd signed after we played his Crewe team in the FA Cup. He's a real midfield battler but he also has some skill. Let's see what Ralph makes of him.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

Might be controversial but I think Reed is better than Hojberg especially his passing ability. A year older but should be given a chance with Saints next season. I still hope Saints invest Hojberg money into the team as it would be a risk if Ward-Prowse or Romeo get injured. 

Edited by Fookwit

9 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

If Fulham have an option on him, it means we don’t have any control over the matter if he wants to go.....?

Unless we tell him he's in our plans and Fulham don't get promoted, in which case he may turn them down. 

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Fulham one step closer to PL football next season. If they make it why would he want to come back here to an uncertain future?

Sadly, I think you are right - and if so I think this an academy player who has "got away" on the Club.     Though a different style of player to JWP, who he tracked through the academy with, he has always shown the necessary skills and attitude to cut it at Prem level, and although we can applaud the season JWP has had to establish himself as a worthy Prem player, Reed was never given the time and opportunity that JWP has benefited from.    I wish Fulham well, but I'd like to see Harry Reed back at Southampton - and given his chance......a better midfielder than PEH in my view.

10 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

2 games stick out with him for me, one (alas the oppos desert me) but he was playing just in front of the defence, he was up against comparative monsters in the opposition forward line, but he was like a janitor, mopping up everything in very tidy fashion seemingly not getting at all flustered.

The other game was his cameo against City under Poch where we upset the form book, he got sent on in the latter stages at 3-1 seemingly with the instruction to shut down Aguero. Every time Aguero got the ball Reed was all over him like a rash, which I thought was impressive for a green player up against someone who was already well established as having plenty of guile on the pitch. After being thwarted by Reed for the 3rd or 4th time, Aguero stood by the Kingsland touchline looking at his team mates and bench with the body language of “I don’t know what to do against this guy” 

I’d have thought that he would fit into the world of Ralph because he does seem to have a good engine and the tenacity to hunt the ball - which is how Ralph wants us to play. With PEH out of the picture and Romeu seemingly stepping up his game, it’s whether Reed himself would poke up with sitting patiently on the bench - he does seem to be one of those who just wants to play football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mcbendy said:

I'm sure I read somewhere there's an option in the loan contract...

Yep, they have an option to buy as per their official website. This, plus what Harry himself said in an interview a few weeks ago, makes it near-certain that he will sign permanently for them. https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/august/08/harrison-reed-arrives-at-fulham

1 minute ago, mcbendy said:

Yep, they have an option to buy as per their official website. This, plus what Harry himself said in an interview a few weeks ago, makes it near-certain that he will sign permanently for them. https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/august/08/harrison-reed-arrives-at-fulham

Not sure how you worked that out. You are jumping to conclusions that the terms of the loan mean Saints can't say no.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Harrison Reed