Radio Solent memories

St Lej

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, USaintA said:

Sorry to bump this, but I was trying to remember some of the songs Solent used to play after the games.

Did they have a song for when Saints won, and another for when they lost?

I remember Bruce Hornsby and the Range - The Way It Is. I also remember the intro to Maneater by Hall and Oates seemed to play all the time too.

They used to play Papa Was A Rolling Stone as the ‘hold’ music while the last few minutes of the games played out, then drop The Way It Is once all the games had finished and the final scores were ready to announce for Saints, Pompey and Bournemouth. 

I can hear those opening piano notes now as Grant Coleman says that Saints were held to a 2-2 draw by Everton at The Dell…

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ben listening to Solent this week and the Tom Deacon recap of the game and also the after match action that Solent have on BBC sounds

I have been thinking about recording matches off Radio Solent (or at least the online broadcast) for a while, to listen to them as podcasts when there's nothing better on the radio. Wish I managed to do it for the playoff matches. Sky broadcast doesn't quite capture the excitement for me when watching the footage back.

Take for example the footage of AA's goal at Wembley when they're blathering on about the Gray family for most of the minute's build-up as we moved the ball up the pitch. I trust Blackmore and Tessem didn't make the same mistake.

I might try and give it a go next season, although I highly doubt they'll be anywhere as exciting as some of the matches this season.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Like 1

There was one they used to play around 2010 onwards and it would be played over an audio montage of goal clips. There was a Lambert penalty in there I know that. Can't think of the song though but it was quite a well known one.