Player Contracts

Saint Charlie

So basically you agree with me then Clyne won't sign a new deal and will go?

If we're offered big money then probably not, no. It depends what timescale you're looking at. United were interested last season as well and his agent was well informed of this. However, I do think he is an honourable bloke so there is a good chance he would with a minimum fee inserted.

SC, what do you suggest our evil board do? Offer money we can't afford Pompey stylee? Hold guns to their heads?

Of course not. But why not try to extend Clyne's deal a year ago, or Jay also?

Of course we can't match the wages of others, but have even less chance now than we would have had then, when Clyne especially was still relatively under the radar.

The club have said via the media that they accepted the bid for Chambers because they felt when they analysed them via the mysterious black box that Clyne was a better right back long term.

Which is great (and true) but in that case surely when you let Chambers go you also try to secure Clyne or else you end up with neither of them long term and the analysis of them and time spent developing them counts for little.

Its easy to snipe but at the end of the day if Jay and Clyne want to go they effectively force us to sell in the summer due to their contract statuses so its not all that ridiculous to wonder if more could have been done to avoid the situation. If yoy sign a player on a four year deal and he does very well then a year and a half into it you try to extend it, like Swansea have with Bony.

If we're offered big money then probably not, no. It depends what timescale you're looking at. United were interested last season as well and his agent was well informed of this. However, I do think he is an honourable bloke so there is a good chance he would with a minimum fee inserted.

Don't really have any reason to think he is any more honourable then all those who left last season. I expect him to go in the summer hopefully for loadsa money.

You think he is honourable based on what?

He refused to sign a new deal at Palace where he played since early teenage years to mean he was a free agent and they only got compensation for him despite being in hard financial times.

Why would he be any more bothered about us, he knows we will get a fee because we will likely not want to lose him for free so will look to sell in the summer should he indicate (as is his perogative) that he will see his contract out.

If he still has the same agent then they will likely think that approach worked very well previously.

Of course not. But why not try to extend Clyne's deal a year ago, or Jay also?

Of course we can't match the wages of others, but have even less chance now than we would have had then, when Clyne especially was still relatively under the radar.

The club have said via the media that they accepted the bid for Chambers because they felt when they analysed them via the mysterious black box that Clyne was a better right back long term.

Which is great (and true) but in that case surely when you let Chambers go you also try to secure Clyne or else you end up with neither of them long term and the analysis of them and time spent developing them counts for little.

Its easy to snipe but at the end of the day if Jay and Clyne want to go they effectively force us to sell in the summer due to their contract statuses so its not all that ridiculous to wonder if more could have been done to avoid the situation. If yoy sign a player on a four year deal and he does very well then a year and a half into it you try to extend it, like Swansea have with Bony.

What makes you think they haven't tried?

Do you honestly, genuinely think that hasn't crossed their minds?

What makes you think they haven't tried?

Of course they might have tried. But Koeman said a couple of weeks ago they were looking to open talks and the Echo said they understood no talks had taken place yet.

In summer everyone said that they must have been talking to Cork about his and they obviously haven't.

Didnt include because its 100% obvious he won't be staying.

Would say player deals haven't been the strength of this new board. Only Fonte and Davis from the first team have signed new ones in almost a year.

Not sure that it seems "obvious" (though quite possible, I agree) because without buying in another recognised keeper, the others on our books are only shirt numbers and not Prem.standard at all.

.....and if Dave Watson doesn't agree, he must know something that the rest of us have missed.

Not sure that it seems "obvious" (though qutie possible, I agree) because without buying in another recognised keeper, the others on our books are only shirt numbers and not Prem.standard at all.

It is pretty obvious Boruc won't be offered another contract at Saints.

Jeff - why do you think Clyne is honourable?

Of course they might have tried. But Koeman said a couple of weeks ago they were looking to open talks and the Echo said they understood no talks had taken place yet.

In summer everyone said that they must have been talking to Cork about his and they obviously haven't.

Ok, can we just get this straight. Are you saying that you don't believe the club are concious of the importance of either retaining the likes of Clyne or Rodriguez or securing good prices for them if they leave? Do you think they're just strolling through the season without giving it any real thought? Is that how you think the club is run?

You think he is honourable based on what?

He refused to sign a new deal at Palace where he played since early teenage years to mean he was a free agent and they only got compensation for him despite being in hard financial times.

Why would he be any more bothered about us, he knows we will get a fee because we will likely not want to lose him for free so will look to sell in the summer should he indicate (as is his perogative) that he will see his contract out.

If he still has the same agent then they will likely think that approach worked very well previously.

Maybe 'honourable' is the wrong word. Perhaps sensible is the way I should go. The guy turned down higher wages to join us ahead of United when he joined us, to ensure he'd get first team football. Whether he'd go to United now, when they still have Rafael and both Jones and Smalling that they tend to chuck at RB I don't know.

Of course, there is a good chance that United aren't interested anyway.

Ok, can we just get this straight. Are you saying that you don't believe the club are concious of the importance of either retaining the likes of Clyne or Rodriguez or securing good prices for them if they leave? Do you think they're just strolling through the season without giving it any real thought? Is that how you think the club is run?

It's how Adam told him the club is run.

Maybe 'honourable' is the wrong word. Perhaps sensible is the way I should go. The guy turned down higher wages to join us ahead of United when he joined us, to ensure he'd get first team football. Whether he'd go to United now, when they still have Rafael and both Jones and Smalling that they tend to chuck at RB I don't know.

Of course, there is a good chance that United aren't interested anyway.

Clyne would be mad to turn them down now though. In all seriousness it would be a great move for him (if it materialised).

Ha. To be clear, my thoughts are as follows:

- Its never ideal to let contracts of very good, young(ish) English players run down because there is a small market for them, the big clubs need them to keep up with the homegrown quotas etc, so they are in demand.

- Once the player gets near the end of his deal, and there is a sniff of interest from a big club, its in his interest to sit out his contract and as they have on a transfer fee, the club will give him a lot of money in wages/signing on fees.

- If the player says to the club they don't want to sign a new deal, the club will nearly always look to sell rather than get nothing for them. If we sell this summer, we would probably get decent money for both.

- We did well last summer, but replicating that every year is difficult. Also to lose more English lads would be a blow, because we can't really afford top English players as replacements, so will end up being a foreign majority team (not that there is a lot wrong with that, but it has been nice having a big core of good, young English players).

- I would hope the club has been trying to get Jay Rod and Clyne to sign new deals since this time last year, and I don't know that they haven't been, although then everything was looking good, so would have been a bit of a suprise if the player wouldnt have wanted a rise then. Now they have more options and more exposure.

- If we offered one last year and both flatly refused then fine, we cannot do much more other than make the best offer we can.

- Koeman said recently that talks would begin with Clyne because you don't want a player entering the last year of their contract.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/southampton/transfer-talk/news/koeman-southampton-in-clyne-talks_190060.html

That would be a strange thing to say if the talks had been ongoing for a year or so, or if the player had said a year ago that he didn't want to sign.

- There was also the Cork and Fonte saga from the summer, which is only partly sorted out. Hopefully Cork stays, seems silly to wait so long to sort it and can't be great for the player who has been excellent for us.

Summary: Clyne and Rodriguez will probably be sold this summer because their contracts are running down. We will get decent fees, but a shame to lose good players, especially Clyne who has developed a lot at Saints. If the Board tried to get him to sign last year and he didn't then fair play. If they only started talking after the summer, then IMO that is too late. We will probably never know.

• 2 weeks later...
So Targett signed up, Koeman saying we want to keep Cork but will he want to stay after being messed about a bit?

Nothing on Clyne or Jay Rod but I don't think anyone really expects them to sign new deals anyway.

Will we still want to offer Cork a contract after another injury on the same ankle. I wonder if we have concerns over the long term health of it, hence why the delay in sorting a contract?

Chances are Clyne, Jayrod, Cork and Morgan will leave in the Summer. This year has been pretty miraculous, its a big ask to follow that next year with most of the established ( at least 3/4 year Saints .....) players then gone....and I don't see the same quality in the youth players coming through to match Shaw and Chambers.

Miraculous this year, a bloody miracle next year.

Will we still want to offer Cork a contract after another injury on the same ankle. I wonder if we have concerns over the long term health of it, hence why the delay in sorting a contract?

Good point but its ptobably more that they just take time to sort out. Targett's has only just been done and thats been discussed since the summer.

Chances are Clyne, Jayrod, Cork and Morgan will leave in the Summer. This year has been pretty miraculous, its a big ask to follow that next year with most of the established ( at least 3/4 year Saints .....) players then gone....and I don't see the same quality in the youth players coming through to match Shaw and Chambers.

Also begin to lose the English feel to the squad.

Hasn't Ronald said they want Cork to stay, it was posted on another thread (Turkish I think) that Jrod wants a new contract but only after his injury is sorted. Morgan will go, Clyne most likely will to but both should bring in a **** load of money to add to the squad. Victor will be next seasons Morgan I reckon.

Hasn't Ronald said they want Cork to stay, it was posted on another thread (Turkish I think) that Jrod wants a new contract but only after his injury is sorted. Morgan will go, Clyne most likely will to but both should bring in a **** load of money to add to the squad. Victor will be next seasons Morgan I reckon.

As in will tweet abuse at the Board after being told he isnt allowed to leave the supposed sinking ship, then will play well whilst it looks like we can qualify for Europe then tail off and start looking for a move again when the inevitable bad spell happens?

That went at the end of July, having sold Lambert, Lallana, Shaw and Chambers and replaced three of them with Pelle, Tadic, and Alderweireld. We're as cosmopolitan as anyone else now, there's nothing particularly "English" about Saints - Bertrand is on loan, Rodriguez is still injured, and ok, Forster and Clyne are in the England squad but that's under a fifth of the side.

So Targett signed up, Koeman saying we want to keep Cork but will he want to stay after being messed about a bit?

Nothing on Clyne or Jay Rod but I don't think anyone really expects them to sign new deals anyway.

Who says Cork being messed about. Never seen it anywhere other than this forum.

What with Targett signing?? Or do you mean Long and Forster? Clyne Cork and JRod on the way to join Bertrand and JWP. And that's before we look at the other U21s coming through - Isgrove, Reed, MacCarthy, and about 10 others.

Who says Cork being messed about. Never seen it anywhere other than this forum.

What with Targett signing?? Or do you mean Long and Forster? Clyne Cork and JRod on the way to join Bertrand and JWP. And that's before we look at the other U21s coming through - Isgrove, Reed, MacCarthy, and about 10 others.

ermmmm................ Irish;)

agree with you though still a number of English players in the squad

• 3 weeks later...
Koeman says Cork offered a "good contract" and we are waiting to hear back as to whether he wants to sign it.

Hopefully he does, but equally could understand if he wanted to move on.

Nice options for Cork to have as he enters the last few months of his current deal.

Confirmed what I thought for a while - Corky is weighing it up and seeing what other clubs have to offer. We can't guarantee him playing every week, so therefore he's probably not earning as much as others.

Confirmed what I thought for a while - Corky is weighing it up and seeing what other clubs have to offer. We can't guarantee him playing every week, so therefore he's probably not earning as much as others.
It's the hardest thing in terms of building and managing a squad; having good enough players as back-up, but keeping them happy enough with sometime occasional playing time.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-target-nathaniel-clyne-4951049

United keen as Clyne stalls on new deal.

Anyone reckon he will sign one? If he does then his Agent will have failed him IMO.

Summer move to one of the big boys IMO.

I can think of worse things than signing for the team in 4th place in the most popular league in the world.

I can think of worse things than signing for the team in 4th place in the most popular league in the world.

Signing for Man United is better (sadly)

He seems like he is seeing what his options are. We may have to sell him during the summer of he stalks further

Of course. But he can double his money and keep his England place whilst also having a chance of winning major trophies. No brainer in many ways if there is genuine interest.

Plus if he won't resign then its in our interests to get the £15m fee to reinvest in the squad.

Koeman says Cork offered a "good contract" and we are waiting to hear back as to whether he wants to sign it.

Hopefully he does, but equally could understand if he wanted to move on.

Nice options for Cork to have as he enters the last few months of his current deal.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-target-nathaniel-clyne-4951049

United keen as Clyne stalls on new deal.

Anyone reckon he will sign one? If he does then his Agent will have failed him IMO.

Summer move to one of the big boys IMO.

So let me get this right, you can understand if Cork wants to move and Clynes agent has failed if he doesn't get a move away. You really are a tedious Mong.