The Inside Story (Telegraph)

CanadaSaint

Except the only person twisting stuff is you.

"Lucky he was available" is a meaningless "twist" by you on the appointment of our new manager by the club. How was Koeman's appointment demonstrably more "lucky" than the appointment of any other manager by any other club in the history of football?

I've asked you to answer that before but you didn't and I am sure you won't this time.

You deride it as lucky because you don't want to give any credit our current regime.

being available was a stroke of luck. The same bit of luck that Cortese had when MP was free and willing to join us. I think that the current regime made a superb choice, and so I am happy to give them credit for that.

being available was a stroke of luck. The same bit of luck that Cortese had when MP was free and willing to join us. I think that the current regime made a superb choice, and so I am happy to give them credit for that.

Surely by that logic when a player has as storming game you wouldn't say the manager picked the team well you'd say he was lucky those players were available?

Why are you so convinced that, had Koeman been under contract, we would not have made an approach? The article states that Koeman had been clearly identified as the best possible replacement some time before Pochettino left, so why would we not have approached him regardless?

I can't see how it matters who pays his compensation. The only difference could be a matter of possible income tax but surely any payment would eventually come from Tottenham.

You are right of course, but the article seem to suggest that Mo Po simply wanted to resign, with assurances he wasn't going to Tottenham. Saints stuck to the letter of contract, which meant that to resign would cost him two million of his own money. As the article says - "Magically" after that was made clear, spurs made an official approach.

Reading between the lines and pure speculation, mo po was acting on advice from spurs, who were trying to dodge the compensation, but when we stuck firm to the contract he then had to go back to spurs and tell them, it would cost them 2 million quid to sign him. At that point he was probably sweating on whether they would still offer him the job.

Reading between the lines and pure speculation, mo po was acting on advice from spurs, who were trying to dodge the compensation, but when we stuck firm to the contract he then had to go back to I do I hope so.

Fingers crossed we smash them tomorrow.

Then my faith in karmic justice will be restored.

So you accept the board made a "choice", then, and not just stumbled upon Ronald Koeman through some random quirk of fate, like when you see an old school friend in a Supermarket car park?

The club appointed an excellent manager from an expansive pool of in-work and out-of-work football managers from countries and leagues all over the world.

With that in mind, shall we agree that "luck" played no more a significant role in this appointment than any other football appointment at any other club?

I haven't heard much about the 'background check' for a very long time. I think they stopped trumpeting it from the rooftops around the time we had trouble with Jason Puncheon. We knew he wasn't settling at other clubs but we brought him in anyway. He turned out ok but players like Forren and Taider (less than three) must have been signed on their youtube reputation rather than any knowledge of their attitudes.

Has anyone ever had a real explanation for the Forren saga?

I might be dreaming this, but wasn't it because our incoming manager (Poch) wanted Osvaldo and because of the future cost of him we had to sign a cheaper alternative defender

to the one we had actually wanted?