Anyone else think we could be on the verge of something special?

washsaint

Well I think we are (on the verge of something special). Look at Liverpool and Manchester United. Their woes are all blamed on the fact that it takes time to integrate so many new players onto a team as they need time to 'gell'. Well Hello!

We've got off to a good start no doubt, but I predicted 7 points after the first 5 games anyway however it's more to do with the style of play, the way the team have 'gelled' already and the professionalism of the manager. Just think what we can achieve when the team have played together for a while and with a few additions to the squad with our spare £30m in January. We're not going to win the damn league but the continuing improvement in the team over a period of years, the exciting style of play and the passion of the manager is something to behold. If that's not special, I don't know what is!

......think I may have seen the first one. ...after our " first promotion 1966 ", .....we went to (the then Highbury ground), on Easter Monday 1968 ....and beat them 3-0.

(Having already rattled in 26 goals), Ron Davies was injured, and everyone groaned when saw 5'7" Reserve CF Micky Judd take his place, but Judd scored, along with one from Joe Kirkup and Terry Paine.

The balding Jimmy Melia, (who got a lot of unfair " stick " in home games from a section of the Dell crowd,)....absolutety ruled the midfield....(an outstanding performance that would have put his critics to shame), against a very useful Gunners outfit, who finished in the top half of the table, whilst we had struggled all season to survive. A more surprising result to a game I can hardly recall watching.

Historical note; I sat in a Stand that day, very close to a corner where.....an elderly policeman...(a man with a wonderful singing voice).. always sang a song prior to the kick-off of every game.

In respect, the crowd held complete silence, and the applause from all sections of the ground showed their genuine appreciation. Something that you would perhaps never experience today.

I was there when Glen Cockerill was lumped, two nil up going into injury because of the Cockerill injury….doh

About 8 weeks ago, it was pretty common on here that we were at best an 8th placed team and we had no chance of better bar maybe a run in a cup. Success of last season was not real etc

What is the difference now, we were 3rd at one point last season.

If we carry on like this, we will be lucky to keep hold of clyne, Morgan is bound to go in the summer regardless and wanyama is exactly the sort of player top clubs want.

Let's just see

About 8 weeks ago, it was pretty common on here that we were at best an 8th placed team and we had no chance of better bar maybe a run in a cup. Success of last season was not real etc

If we carry on like this, we will be lucky to keep hold of clyne, Morgan is bound to go in the summer regardless and wanyama is exactly the sort of player top clubs want.

Let's just see

P*ss off misery guts.........

Let's just see

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply enjoy the good times and worry about the bad times when it becomes necessary. I am talking Southampton FC here not your personal life. By all means take precautions against bad things happening in your life.

I think this years top 4 will be

Chelsea

Man City

Arsenal

Man Utd (Based on them out scoring teams)

I think you can say that those 4 have the best squads, overall.

I think the likes of Everton, Liverpool, Tottenham are trailing just behind those 4

Then you have us just behind those 3 clubs, but able to beat any of the above on our day depending on injuries etc

Then the likes of Stoke, Hull, Swansea solid mid table teams who will give us a bloody good game

Then you have the rest.

I think we'll finish between 5th - 11th with a decent cup run, maybe even a cup win. I fancy us for the League Cup this year.

So how do teams manage to gain 3 points without outscoring opposition teams?

United will only be shîte defensively until January, when any fool (except van Gaal strangely) could've told you a couple of centre backs would've been a much better use for the Di Maria money. Mind you van Gaal may not last long enough to spend another £784m in the January window on players that aren't priorities...

Something special.....I said it earlier, and I think that the latest bit of the senior players going to RK about the day off show it - team spirit. I said, or rather hoped that it would go this way (rather than the alternative) that after the upheavals of the summer, the group left behind would pull together in an even closer knit group. There have been reports (can't recall which player it was) that have said this is exactly what has happened. RK's man management skills seem also to be a large part of it, not least in getting MS to be settled (for the time being!!).

Even if we don't manage to carry it off, the small act that showed the players' commitment to the shirt and their ambition (I've noticed it's a word used an awful lot these days!!!) is very pleasing.

Talk Sport have been talking us up over the last fews which is good to hear but also makes me jittery.

5 games in, great start, but I am determined not to get carried away but will enjoy the ride.

Great to see Ronald placing more importance on cup games as realistically this where we can win something.

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply enjoy the good times and worry about the bad times when it becomes necessary. I am talking Southampton FC here not your personal life. By all means take precautions against bad things happening in your life.

Who isn't enjoying it?

But how come ambition of doing something special a few mints ago was silly and built on "paper cups" and now it isn't?

When we were told that we should defer judgement on the team until 1 September, I suggested that an assessment on 1 Oct would be more meaningful. With 3 games in September, I thought we needed a minimum of 7 points from the 9 available this month to begin to believe. So far we have 6 points In Sept, so we only need a draw on Saturday to meet my personal target. If we get the full 3 we will have 13 points out of a possible 18.

Ok, we will only have played one of last year's top 6 - and lost that game - but unless and until things begin to go wrong, I'm willing to believe that they will not!

We still need that points swing over teams above us though. It would mean actually beating teams like Spurs as well as winning the majority of home games against the likes of Stoke and Sunderland. We failed to do any of this last season. I have a feeling Everton won't do as well, their defence has been suspect. The main issue for me is that the transition from being best of the rest to top 4-6 needs to happen quick. We'd need to keep Morgan, Clyne, J-Rod etc. and add quality over a couple of seasons. As I've said before, unlikely but not impossible. But we might as well enjoy it and dream about what might happen. It's very early days, let's stay grounded as a defeat tomorrow and all of a sudden things won't be so good

We still need that points swing over teams above us though. It would mean actually beating teams like Spurs as well as winning the majority of home games against the likes of Stoke and Sunderland. We failed to do any of this last season. I have a feeling Everton won't do as well, their defence has been suspect. The main issue for me is that the transition from being best of the rest to top 4-6 needs to happen quick. We'd need to keep Morgan, Clyne, J-Rod etc. and add quality over a couple of seasons. As I've said before, unlikely but not impossible. But we might as well enjoy it and dream about what might happen. It's very early days, let's stay grounded as a defeat tomorrow and all of a sudden things won't be so good

sums it up lets enjoy it while it lasts.

This may be the key point. Thank you for putting it that way. It helps my thinking for the blog post I am working on.

Talk Sport have been talking us up over the last fews which is good to hear but also makes me jittery.

5 games in, great start, but I am determined not to get carried away but will enjoy the ride.

Great to see Ronald placing more importance on cup games as realistically this where we can win something.

Very wise. Still think we are likely to be looking at retaining our position in the premiership rather than looking to Europe as the season progresses.

Very wise. Still think we are likely to be looking at retaining our position in the premiership rather than looking to Europe as the season progresses.

Very wise??? retaining our position in the PL? I know some want to protect there tender hearts from getting broken, but let lose the chains, let yourself dream of the possibilities!

If this start to the season and the way we have played is not enough for you to get hopeful, actually bloody exploding with excitement, then you are a damaged fan that has lost all hope/balls to say we are good and we will kick everyone's buttocks!

ok, may not be true, but there is enough evidence that we will have one of the strongest defenses again (better subs to sustain it this year) and a very strong midfield!! this alone will keep us in most games! even if our new look attacking players are not on form we have enough to grind out tough games (but I have seen enough to be confident we will find the net).

This isn't based on blind Saints loyalty, it is on watching all the teams play and being objective of their form......I am no expert, but to my footballing eye, we posses a lot of strength that will see us be even tougher to beat than last year.

I see big teams struggling with their new look sides and management (Manu, Tott, Eve, Liv), these teams will not get a lot of time to get it right, points lost is points lost, they are finding out there are no push overs in the PL, every team has the quality to hurt a dysfunctional team, no matter how expensive their players are.

Our team has shown an early understanding of how to implement RK tactics, he has made subtle changes, steady improvement. This has been rewarded with points and team loyalty by showing they want to train even on a day off........c'mon crack a smile....i dare ya! :)

He would say that wouldn't he? Isn't going to say his team was knocked out of the League Cup by a run-of-the-mill side. It's just an excuse for losing.

Yeah Wenger would have to wouldn't he. Some see agendas everywhere. Or how about he was impressed with how we played and gave praise. This was his press conf before Spurs as well so wasn't directly being asked about the defeat on Tues

Let's just see

Thats a bit like saying there's no point in living because we all die eventually. Enjoy the ride.

Very wise??? retaining our position in the PL? I know some want to protect there tender hearts from getting broken, but let lose the chains, let yourself dream of the possibilities!

If this start to the season and the way we have played is not enough for you to get hopeful, actually bloody exploding with excitement, then you are a damaged fan that has lost all hope/balls to say we are good and we will kick everyone's buttocks!

ok, may not be true, but there is enough evidence that we will have one of the strongest defenses again (better subs to sustain it this year) and a very strong midfield!! this alone will keep us in most games! even if our new look attacking players are not on form we have enough to grind out tough games (but I have seen enough to be confident we will find the net).

This isn't based on blind Saints loyalty, it is on watching all the teams play and being objective of their form......I am no expert, but to my footballing eye, we posses a lot of strength that will see us be even tougher to beat than last year.

I see big teams struggling with their new look sides and management (Manu, Tott, Eve, Liv), these teams will not get a lot of time to get it right, points lost is points lost, they are finding out there are no push overs in the PL, every team has the quality to hurt a dysfunctional team, no matter how expensive their players are.

Our team has shown an early understanding of how to implement RK tactics, he has made subtle changes, steady improvement. This has been rewarded with points and team loyalty by showing they want to train even on a day off........c'mon crack a smile....i dare ya! :)

Love the passion in this post. I am thrilled as anyone when we do well. However, I agree, I am probably scarred from the struggles of the 1990's. Always fearing the worst and worrying about relegation until its mathematically certain we cannot get relegated. Same in the games, I will only relax if we are say 4-0 up with 3 minutes to go !

I don't think I will ever change.

Also, I have still not got over the decision to appoint Sturrock in 2004. I knew that would lead to relegation, I knew it !! and it happened.

Thats a bit like saying there's no point in living because we all die eventually. Enjoy the ride.

I was last year. yet all summer, was told it was all bullshyte. the foundations were on sand etc....no different, Tadic, morgan etc will still be wanted by the big clubs and round we go again.

I dont think anyone isnt enjoyingit

That's the whole point, you can always dream. My dreams is that come May we will be Premier League Champions, that's the dream. Every one dreams.

If you think I don't dream then you are mistaken. I just refuse to get carried away at what is essentially a good run of form. I am delighted with our start as much as anyone but the real test comes when we start to play the top teams. At the moment we have beaten teams that look like they will be down the bottom. The only top side from last season we have played against despite playing well and deserving a point we still lost. The real tests are yet to come but long may our good form continue. COYR.

As of yet we haven't played anyone that is looking a contender for the top 6, bar a special rejuvenation from Liverpool, and even that 'test' was one we lost.

We beat Arsenal away! You can only play what is in front of you and so far we are playing other Premiership teams and beating them. What more do you want?

Sounds a bit dumb but I don't reckon the team are completely clicking yet. They seem a bit second gear sometimes & a bit wasteful & sometimes even a bit unsure bout what they're doing. Koeman still has quite a bit of work to do I reckon, but Oh My God if he gets it right yo!

We beat Arsenal away! You can only play what is in front of you and so far we are playing other Premiership teams and beating them. What more do you want?

I'm reserving judgement on whether we're "on the verge of something special" until we've played a few more of the big boys in the Premier League.

Not saying I'm not chuffed with how we're doing at the minute! It's great to see us looking so determined, focused and confident. Koeman's got the boys playing some great stuff and we look like we're never going to throw in the towel during games. Confidence is high at the minute and I'm loving it.

But I'm not going to come out and say we're going to finish in the top six, or that we're on the verge of something special, because we haven't had an even spread of fixtures in terms of difficulty.

Love the passion in this post. I am thrilled as anyone when we do well. However, I agree, I am probably scarred from the struggles of the 1990's. Always fearing the worst and worrying about relegation until its mathematically certain we cannot get relegated. Same in the games, I will only relax if we are say 4-0 up with 3 minutes to go !

I don't think I will ever change.

Also, I have still not got over the decision to appoint Sturrock in 2004. I knew that would lead to relegation, I knew it !! and it happened.

When Steve Wigley was appointed manager "until at least the end of the season" in 2004, I knew for a certainty then, that Southampton would be relegated and it happened.

When Steve Wigley was appointed manager "until at least the end of the season" in 2004, I knew for a certainty then, that Southampton would be relegated and it happened.

Ditto. Similarly when Pearson was given the boot and replaced by the two Dutch jokers.

Thankfully, this time we have a Dutch genius and his brother. :D

Except it didn't.

F**king hell, Dalek is STILL getting bites with that routine? I didn't think you could fish with 10 year old bait.

Let's just see

Yes Brett, let's hope we lose regularly and never have any success in case the big clubs what to sign our players. Laughable how you grizzled like a two year old who had their toy taken away that the ambition had gone when Cortese went yet you don't want us to do well in case players leave :lol:

Yes Brett, let's hope we lose regularly and never have any success in case the big clubs what to sign our players. Laughable how you grizzled like a two year old who had their toy taken away that the ambition had gone when Cortese went yet you don't want us to do well in case players leave :lol:

I think he wants us to do well. He just doesn't think we should be happy about it.

• 2 months later...
Very early to judge Koeman. Remember Laudrup had a whole season where he looked good before it all fell apart. Fairly easy to build on someone else's success, a different job to maintain it for several years.

Agree he looks promising but his managerial record is fairly mixed

I'm sure Koeman will turn it round to some degree but the jury is still out for me

• 8 months later...
Very early to judge Koeman. Remember Laudrup had a whole season where he looked good before it all fell apart. Fairly easy to build on someone else's success, a different job to maintain it for several years.

Agree he looks promising but his managerial record is fairly mixed

Jury still out