The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

I'm off out to my LBS tomorrow with the intention of test riding some bikes and making a purchase. I'm a runner and haven't done much on 2 wheels since mountain biking when I was a teenager, but I've been thinking about getting a road bike for a while now and I've picked up a hip flexor injury that is taking forever to heal. I need to maintain my endurance fitness ahead of an upcoming marathon, but going to the gym isn't an option any more, I'm bored out of my skull after about 45 mins on the spin bike and really need to be at it for 2+ hours for the longer sessions.

I guess I'll report back and join the Strava group you've got going once I'm on the road.

The bike shop had one 2014 Giant Defy 1 in my size, and I managed to pick it up for just over £800 with a helmet, a puncture kit with a couple of co2 bottles, tools etc, and a service in 2-3 months time.

Looking forward to getting out on it tomorrow morning.

The bike shop had one 2014 Giant Defy 1 in my size, and I managed to pick it up for just over £800 with a helmet, a puncture kit with a couple of co2 bottles, tools etc, and a service in 2-3 months time.

Do some short rides, taking your multi tool with you, so you can adjust your post, seat, stem and bars until you have them perfect.

Oh, and go clipless ASAP.

Do some short rides, taking your multi tool with you, so you can adjust your post, seat, stem and bars until you have them perfect.

Oh, and go clipless ASAP.

I've ordered clipless pedals and shoes already. There's been some useful info on here, thanks.

Not sure I'd ride today, far too icy, well it is by me anyway. Turbo trainer it is then...

Time to join Saints Fans Cycling on Strava methinks. Enjoy. Happy New Bike!

No ice in Southampton this morning so I got out there. I thought I'd reccy my work commute so went from Sholing down to Fawley refinery, then down to Hythe to get the ferry back to town and home to get showered in time to get to the game. It's not the nicest route until I got past Totton but it was good to get out and give the bike a test. I'm going to take it back to the shop next week as the chain is catching on the front derailleur arm a fair bit when in the highest 3 or 4 gears. Other than that I'm really happy with it.

33.5 k @ 25.7 km/h ave. Plenty of traffic lights to slow me down.

Oh yeah, I've put a request to join the Strava group too.

• 2 weeks later...
My TLI race licence has arrived for 2015. Crits and road races. Should be a giggle.

Good luck with that. You've certainly put the work in over the winter.

For more general consumption I've just killed my old turbo trainer, it was second hand and used very regularly over 5 winters. I have replaced with a Cycleops Fluid 2. Heartily recommend it if you are in the market for one. Very smooth with a flattish resistance curve which means you really have to use the gears to full extent in a similar way to the road. As realistic feeling a trainer as they can be. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is very similar but about £75 more. Btw Wiggle had the Fluid 2 on at £209..

With the winter being so mild (so far) I've been able to stay out of the road, although a puking bug has made it tricky this week, so being able to average around 200km a week has been a bonus. It also means the Mrs has had her bike on the TT since November.

My next investment will be rollers.

Nearly all the racing is on a closed 2.5mile course. I'll be near the back but it'll be fun. I intend to be an old grey wheelsucker.

Bought my first ever bike (since I was a kid anyway) today on the Cycle to Work scheme. Went for a hybrid Whyte Shoreditch. Looks nice and understated and has a carbon fork which I am told is something to get excited about... He threw a snazzy blue helmet in for free along with a drinks holder and bottle.

Is the bike any good as a place to start? Mainly going to be using it for work which is about 7 miles each way.

Haven't been cycling for about four months but I am doing the january insanity sportive of the 31st (http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/ordnance-survey-january-insanity-sportive/) 57 miles, should be interesting...

Looking forward to being able to cycle properly again once the days start getting a little longer, can't fit everything I want to do into weekends!

Good urban bike - pretty light, disc brakes, enough gears. As long as your 7 miles is relatively flat you'll be fine. All I'd fit would be some bar ends to give me two hand positions, find that I get a lot of wrist pain on flat bar bikes.

Carbon fork will improve handling - a good thing providing you don't drop it or bash it over potholes too much.

Stick skinnier slick tyres and lighter wheels on it and you could have a seriously capable performance flat bar road bike - those 28s will be comfortable and robust but will roll slower and offer less response than race tyres. Not a bad thing and as long as you don't ride a road bike as you won't know the difference.

I like Whyte bikes - British and have bikes well suited to our ****e infrastructure. When my B'Twin dies will look at them, Charge, and Genesis.

Going to miss watching tomorrow's match as I'll be riding a session at the Manchester Velodrome.

Cool.

I was supposed to be out on a 150km club ride this morning. At 07.30 as I was pulling on my tights my Mrs informs me that there is no way she and my girls are standing on the sideline for my nippers U13 game (10.30 ko) and that I'd better sort my life out if I ever wanted sex again.

Needless to say that at 10.30 I was dutifully stood on the sideline. We are out at 07.30 tomorrow instead.

The Directeur Sportive fell on some ice a week or so ago while walking the dog. Cue A&E at a local hospital. She has a broken humerus so having to grab turbo sessions as and when I can. Did one yesterday called the SWEATS. 10 minutes warm up followed by 20 minutes at 95% threshold pace 5 minutes recovery and then intervals of 5,4,3,2,1 minutes done as hard as you can to ensure you complete the interval with three minutes recovery between each effort and five minute cool down after the last one.

70km club ride on Saturday, I played tail end Charlie as we had some fellas who haven't ridden for a while so the ride leader knew when he saw me that everyone was up the climbs. We have a brilliant sprint finish heading back to the shop, managed to sprint, on the flat, at 51km/ph. Finished 2nd from 24, left my move a little to late to win it.

Today a flat 120km with a couple of mates. Really slow by my standards as they haven't enough winter miles in the legs. Decent hot choccy and cake at the 1/2 way point and the last 20km, when the 3rd rider had rolled home, we went balls out. Average a slow 25kmph or so for the 1st 100km and 34kmph for the final 20km.

Well my build up to my first 100 miler has started. Going to do the new forest one in September.

did 35 miles today which is as far as I have ever gone. Have to say the idea of doing three times that is a little daunting.

You've plenty of time to get the miles in the legs.

My "big" ride this year is Newcastle to London in 24hrs, 305miles.

Managed to increase my longest ride by 40km today thanks largely to some woeful navigation by my mate. So now I know I can ride 100km. I also know that any 90 year old man can out run me right now.

TBF, by late April, you should consider 100km a normal Sunday distance.

When you get back with tired legs get some milk with choccy powder in it down your neck. It is the best thing available to help your muscles repair pronto.

Also, stretching. 5mins worth after your ride will help. I'm lucky, my Mrs is a trained masseuse so if I come back after a 150km ride or a very hilly route I'll get a proper leg rub down. Makes a hell of a difference.

2 months off = 2 weeks proper riding to get it back.

I work 6 miles down the A49 from Shrewsbury, I think it will be light enough to ride in once or twice a week soon. A year ago I would have laughed at even thinking that. Now its only a little 35k from home, no drama at all.

After a long while off the bike (injury) I am back today! Gentle one today, then back on this thread and it looks like I am still the only MTB rider....

Was planning a serious bike upgrade for a new British bike, but postponing that as I am out of work in 2 weeks time. Bird, based near Bracknell, was started by 3 MTB enthusiasts just 2 years ago, and is winning rave reviews for its bikes which are highly specced but at very good prices. Sadly for you they dont make any roadies!

My local MTB trail centre, Swinley Forest, has seen a raft of serious accidents recently (average air ambulance call outs now 3 per week). Whether its newbies or the cold conditions I dont know, but I will be taking it steady after 4 months off!

Edited by Bucks Saint

My new baby being built.

b3469a2fcd782ba8cb7369456bfe0858.jpg

Exciting times VFTT. Looks like I'll have to wait until later in the year for my new steed. Pretty much undecided, but narrowed it down to either Cervelo R3 with either Di2 or better wheels, but not both, or a Storck Scenero, Scentron or Visionar C. There are pros and cons for each. Retirement plans have gone a little awry so trip to Alps has gone by the wayside regrettably. Looks like July finish now to allow me to go back on P/T contract in September. Happy days!

Hi everyone. I'm a long time lurker on saints Web but this is my first post. I can't be bothered to get involved in the arguments on the main board. I'm on the strava club as petetallboy and bucks Saint will be pleased to hear that I'm predominantly a mtber! Having said that most of my riding at the moment is on the road. Anyone else do any racing or anything of that sort?

Hi everyone. I'm a long time lurker on saints Web but this is my first post. I can't be bothered to get involved in the arguments on the main board. I'm on the strava club as petetallboy and bucks Saint will be pleased to hear that I'm predominantly a mtber! Having said that most of my riding at the moment is on the road. Anyone else do any racing or anything of that sort?

Yes. I'm racing from mid-April, both crit and road.

Anyone ever taken a bike on holiday, solo style? Going with the extended family to Andalusia in Sept and was thinking of taking the bike with me. Would be the only person that would ride but a couple hours a few days a week wouldn't cause me too much grief from mrs. I think the hills around there would be too good to miss. Anybody done anything similar or got any tips?

Welcome! Where do you hit the trails usually?

Anyone ever taken a bike on holiday, solo style? Going with the extended family to Andalusia in Sept and was thinking of taking the bike with me. Would be the only person that would ride but a couple hours a few days a week wouldn't cause me too much grief from mrs. I think the hills around there would be too good to miss. Anybody done anything similar or got any tips?

I'm taking my Merckx to France in the summer for the annual family holiday. We won't be far from the Pyrenees and I'll be doing some classic TdF climbs. I expect to be riding every day with the blessing of the Mrs and kids.