Mersons prediction for us, what a "Grade A" C***

PaulSaint

I find predictions a bit pointless but pundits are expected to make them and any neutral would surely assume a Liverpool win on Sunday. Guessing the result is one thing but predictions of the actual scores are far less likely to be accurate. Merson was required to try, so he's had a go but because he clearly knows little about the players Saints have brought in, he has assumed our team will not score at all. That's where his prediction is less likely to correct even if the result matches his expectation.

Merson has often been very positive about Saints and our style of play very often. I don't think you " get" him though.

I think he is a great talent as a whatever he is on SS because he's certainly not a normal commentator. His soccer related comedy act on a Saturday afternoon is one of the best things on the telly. He has certainly taught MLT a few things. For instance MLT never said " it's a Desmond" before he met Merse, nor did he ever reflect that a forward had just hit the " beans on toast". I'm not sure, personally that these are great additions to our icon or his football lexicon but they mostly derive from the ever inventive Merson. Who probably pays a comedy writer to dream them up because it's not unscripted. He cannot be as out of it as he makes out to deliver this routine of his for which he has now become legendary - the mispronunciation of names, the cockney catch phrases, the in joke references to his and MLT laziness, coy whimsical references to past players predilections, funny food reference, his interest in a flair player doing a trick, his disinterest in boring teams playing boring.... They've become his trademark, He's helped create a soccer commentating style of his own in some respects.

What he days will happen versus Liverpool is probably accurate. He's more condemnatory about Liverpool but it's his job to get some chatter going. Underneath it all he's Merse. Quite a funny guy if that doesn't sound too condescending.

He's just being lazy with his predictions, it's flavour of the month to take the p!ss out of us at the moment - i'm sure after a couple of wins the media will be praising Koeman for the rebuilding he's done where before they were cracking wise about whether we had any players left...

FWIW I think it'll be 2-1 Liverpool. Shaky start though.