Is the squad stronger now than when the 13/14 season closed on 11/5/14?

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

several loan players? 2 including the new signing and 1 we have option to buy.

So long as no first teamers (Boruc apart) leave and the 2 guys sign we will have had an excellent window.....

Forster looks like an outstanding acquisition and a step up from Boruc

Bertrand is a more than adequate replacement for Shaw (and Targett is looking very promising)

2 new Centrebacks so we now have 4 CBs vying for 2 positions and the Belgian could be quite a coup

Midfield is strong - very strong. Keeping Morgan will be the best bit of business in the window and we have 2 players for every position. Tadic actually looks like an upgrade on Lallana right now

We are perhaps still a bit light up front - with only Pelle and Long as recognized strikers (with Gallagher in the wings)

Factor in we now have Koeman and I am delighted - and the Board have lived up to their promise. No fire sale here to see.

Oh yeah, Taider :lol: Fair-play, 3 still isn't really several should maybe have said a couple.

Agreed Jeff - lot of abuse aimed at the Board's direction this summer but feel we are now stronger as a club and hopefully the corporate side is picking up too.

Genuinely feel excited by this season and think Koeman will be outstanding for us.

Very noticeable Pochettino had no plan B against Liverpool (some things never change)

If only people were a little more patient eh? I think Kat deserves a lot of apologies.

Agreed. The Board have delivered as best they can and even though they have missed some targets at least they have been going for decent players. Not unhappy with the squad and looking forward to seeing what RK can get out of them.

If we get the last two targets confirmed and over the line then I think we have come out of a difficult summer in good shape and could have a another solid season.

The shame of it all when comparing the two squads are that (IMO) a couple of our new recruits would have pushed us on to have a better crack at the elite in the same vein as Spurs and Everton but we couldn't keep hold of enough players to do it. That's life and football I guess but the squad itself isn't looking too bad at all.

Individual quality is arguably lower but the squad as a whole has the potential to be an improvement on last year. Need to make sure the team play as a team though and learn what to expact from the other players.

Koeman has been thoroughly impressive and I prefer him to pochettino.

I'd choose the current squad over the squad that ended last season (with the exception of Lovern, was sorry to lose him)

Lambert Vs Pelle

I think Lambert was coming towards the end of his career, he'd certainly adapted his game to suit which shows what a clever footballer he is. At 33 he doesn't look like a natural athlete & while he certainly had worked on his conditioning\fitness during his time at Saints there's no telling how long he could continue performing at this level. Pelle by contrast looks a "young" 29 and you could see him playing into his late 30s, they're very similar in style but I think Pelle will prove to be technically better over time. I'm happy with this business

Lallana Vs Tadic

Lallana was class last season but he certainly had his flaws, his inability to complete 90 minutes, fading massively during the second half of games, he drifted inside leaving the left back exposed way to often and his shot was inconsistent, to often the soft grass cutter would let him down. Tadic seems to again be very similar, he has great work rate & is more physical than I expected. He has great vision, quick feet & doesn't look out of place in the prem. Considering the price Liverpool paid for lallana and what we paid for tadic, is there really a 14million different between lallana and tadic? I don't think so. Good business

Shaw Vs Bertrand.

I'll get hammered for this, but I don't see anything in Bertrand to suggest he is any worse than shaw, or that shaw is any better than Bertrand. Forgetting potential, Bertrand is the more accomplished player at this point in time. It may not be the case in the future but right now this is looking like a great bit of business

Long Vs Osvaldo

Obviously we are better off here, longs work rate is fantastic, he has pace, he has good technique. We shouldn't judge long on goals as I don't think he's that type of player, his runs make space and unsettle defenders allowing the midfielder runners to get into space.

Lovern Vs Gardos

I feel we're probably down here, but it's impossible to say.

Chambers Vs AlderWeireld

We're obviously getting a more accomplished player here than the one we've lost. One who has more experience at every level of football & has been involved with a team that reached the champions league final last year and a league winning side.

The other signings, have added depth, I think Forster is a step up to Boruc too.

Cant complain, considering we're still well in the black financially

If we get the last two targets confirmed and over the line then I think we have come out of a difficult summer in good shape and could have a another solid season.

The shame of it all when comparing the two squads are that (IMO) a couple of our new recruits would have pushed us on to have a better crack at the elite in the same vein as Spurs and Everton but we couldn't keep hold of enough players to do it. That's life and football I guess but the squad itself isn't looking too bad at all.

I have to say, last season there were flaws in our team, but I have to say Glasgow was probably right, however facetious he was being when saying it. We underachieved under Pochettino.

I'd choose the current squad over the squad that ended last season (with the exception of Lovern, was sorry to lose him)

Lambert Vs Pelle

I think Lambert was coming towards the end of his career, he'd certainly adapted his game to suit which shows what a clever footballer he is. At 33 he doesn't look like a natural athlete & while he certainly had worked on his conditioning\fitness during his time at Saints there's no telling how long he could continue performing at this level. Pelle by contrast looks a "young" 29 and you could see him playing into his late 30s, they're very similar in style but I think Pelle will prove to be technically better over time. I'm happy with this business

Lallana Vs Tadic

Lallana was class last season but he certainly had his flaws, his inability to complete 90 minutes, fading massively during the second half of games, he drifted inside leaving the left back exposed way to often and his shot was inconsistent, to often the soft grass cutter would let him down. Tadic seems to again be very similar, he has great work rate & is more physical than I expected. He has great vision, quick feet & doesn't look out of place in the prem. Considering the price Liverpool paid for lallana and what we paid for tadic, is there really a 14million different between lallana and tadic? I don't think so. Good business

Shaw Vs Bertrand.

I'll get hammered for this, but I don't see anything in Bertrand to suggest he is any worse than shaw, or that shaw is any better than Bertrand. Forgetting potential, Bertrand is the more accomplished player at this point in time. It may not be the case in the future but right now this is looking like a great bit of business

Long Vs Osvaldo

Obviously we are better off here, longs work rate is fantastic, he has pace, he has good technique. We shouldn't judge long on goals as I don't think he's that type of player, his runs make space and unsettle defenders allowing the midfielder runners to get into space.

Lovern Vs Gardos

Chambers Vs AlderWeireld

We're obviously getting a more accomplished player here than the one we've lost. One who has more experience at every level of football & has been involved with a team that reached the champions league final last year and a league winning side.

The other signings, have added depth, I think Forster is a step up to Boruc too.

Thank god we got Kruger in and got shot of Cortese.

Lambert Vs Pelle

Lallana Vs Tadic

Shaw Vs Bertrand.

Long Vs Osvaldo

Lovern Vs Gardos

Chambers Vs AlderWeireld

Very good, thoughtful analysis here. I'd add the following.

If Boruc stays (no sign of him leaving yet, with just a few hours to go) we are vastly stronger at gk than last year: Forster/Boruc vs. Boruc/Davis/Gazzaniga? Obvious massive upgrade.

Long is a huge upgrade over a non-playing Osvaldo.

If this guy Mane does sign, as seems likely, the addition of pace and directness he apparently offers gives us a dimension we just didn't have last season.

At cb, Fonte/Alderweireld/Yoshida/Gardos is surely better than Fonte/Lovren/Yoshida/Hooiveld. Good as Lovren was, Alderweireld was class playing for Belgium at the WC, and indications are Gardos is a bit of a beast.

So all in all, things look good. If we reach 11pm this evening with Morgan, Rodriguez, and Boruc still ours, and with Alderweireld and Mane signed, I think we're at least as good as last year, probably better on paper. If it all gels, we could challenge Everton & Spurs for 6th place.

I have to say, last season there were flaws in our team, but I have to say Glasgow was probably right, however facetious he was being when saying it. We underachieved under Pochettino.

I thought last season was excellent for a 2nd season in the prem and I don't think you can underestimate the fact that we relied on such a small crop of players with the rest so far behind in terms of quality. Add Tadic, Pelle, Forster and a Gardos/TW to the group we had (even if we lost just 1 or 2) then I think we would have been set for an impressive season with Europe qualification a realistic target.

All conjecture now though of course, nothing left to do but get the team again and enjoy more attractive football and a decent amounts of wins.

It is still far too early to tell how strong we are, but I'm delighted with the depth we've added.

Nobody really knew how good Lovren, Wanyama or Osvaldo would be when we signed them, and the same applies to our new signings. Could all be stars, could be some flops, though I think we're all fairly confident that Forster and Tadic will be good players for us. I certainly think we've given ourselves a good chance though.