José Fonte signs new three-year deal with Saints

Saint-Armstrong

I'm starting to think that as well. Fonte, although a nice guy is no leader of men.

I think he could do it. But I don't think he should. Partly for the reasons you've given.

Steve Davies - quiet professional and great player. The only reasons for not giving it to Davies for me would be if Koeman doesn't think he's going to be a regular starter or Davies has said he doesn't want the responsibility.

Not sure why it wasn't done months ago, but great news nonetheless.
Playing devil's advocate here, could it be we were waiting to see whch other Centre Backs we could recruit? Or Fonte assessing which deals were coming in for him from elsewhere?

Very good news regardless, good captain material in my view.

Playing devil's advocate here, could it be we were waiting to see whch other Centre Backs we could recruit? Or Fonte assessing which deals were coming in for him from elsewhere?

Could be, these sort of games go on all the time.

Very good news. Given our current situation we're fairly easy to excite when it comes to players staying, but he does say all the right things. Had a bad spell in the spring of 2012, but the presence of Lovren seemed to galvanise him again. I hope he is able to take charge in defense again, especially if we bring in some beast to take the heavy challenges...

Waiting to see the back of Dani

Watching Fontes interview, wouldn't do the club any harm if some of our senior players started to say we'd bought 'better' players than we have sold.... Even if the jury's out. Talk positive. Attract talent. Build confidence amongst players AND fans. Simple PR really.

Most likely. Would Jose still be here if Man U had come in instead of Cardiff?