Uh-oh.. Need to look for another GK and CB...

alpine_saint

But he didn't, because he wasn't registered as a Legia player for the first two matches. You can't serve a suspension for a team you're not registered for!

Without punishing this they're also allowing the precedent that players could claim to be playing for a different side to serve their suspensions when their actual team doesn't have matches.

Thats bollocvks. He was registered as a Legia player and had been for over a year, Legia simply failed to inform UEFA he was available but serving his ban for those matches. Big difference

They have used discretion, they decided the rules had been broken and penalised Legia the match 3-0. Previously they'd ignored a similar situation with Debrecen, but that player was ineligible not suspended.

The implication is that had Legia won the first leg by more goals they'd still have gone through. As if discretion hasn't been used - if that is a rigid rule it sets all kinds of precedents for sides leading by more than 3 goals just forfeiting the second leg (to keep down travel costs and the risk of new suspensions) rather than risking a 4 goal defeat, and also for any side winning by more than 3 to field anyone they like, registered or not.

In this case, they have followed the rule to the letter, ignoring the circumstances, I would argue that discretion was warranted for this situation.

Granted, they used discretion for Debrecen, in 2010, arguably before governing bodies were as discredited as they are now.

My point is that the decision today is made in light of the fact that they are desperate to appear legitimate and above board (hence "failing").

Edit: They fined Debrecen under a different rule (where the game "may" be forfeit), rather than the rule under which this decision was made (where the match "will" be forfeit). So they have never shown discretion.

Edited by KingdomCome
checking the rules

Stupid from Legia, what was the point of making that substitution anyway? Mind you, UEFA have ignored their own previous precedents, but that's hardly a surprise. Delia has gotten right off the hook there. If it had been Celtic winning 6-1 and then falling foul of player eligibility rules they'd have probably got an £750 fine but when FIFA is so awful, the saying 'the fish rots from the head' comes to mind. No wonder UEFA, the PL, FA and Football League are so poor when the game's overarching governance body has such a cloud having over it and a buffoon in charge.

Shouldn't make any difference to Saints, the club have had more than long enough to get CB and GK situations resolved and signings completed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26878545

Can we have our additional 2 points please?

Ineligible not suspended and administered by a completely different organisation under different competition rules - and even that punishment is COMPLETELY in line with the one given to Debrecen by UEFA for the ineligible player they fielded.

They're taking the flaunting of a suspension more seriously than fielding an ineligible one.

Stupid from Legia, what was the point of making that substitution anyway? Mind you, UEFA have ignored their own previous precedents,

No they haven't, they've ignored the Debrecen ineligibility precedent to make a decision on a suspended player.

In this case, they have followed the rule to the letter, ignoring the circumstances, I would argue that discretion was warranted for this situation.

Granted, they used discretion for Debrecen, in 2010, arguably before governing bodies were as discredited as they are now.

My point is that the decision today is made in light of the fact that they are desperate to appear legitimate and above board (hence "failing").

Edit: They fined Debrecen under a different rule (where the game "may" be forfeit), rather than the rule under which this decision was made (where the match "will" be forfeit). So they have never shown discretion.

So what you're saying is that they should make different, unrestricted, rulings depending on circumstance, rather than adhering to the prescribed regulations and appropriate punishments as laid out. Well I can't see how that would be open to abuse...

So what you're saying is that they should make different, unrestricted, rulings depending on circumstance, rather than adhering to the prescribed regulations and appropriate punishments as laid out. Well I can't see how that would be open to abuse...

Who mentioned unrestricted?

If you mean do I think that decisions should be made after having considered the circumstances and allowing discretion within the rules for borderline cases, then yes, yes I do. They allow discretion for the ineligible players already, why not suspended?

Change my opinion however you like to fit your position though. I would suggest something along the lines of believing Mick over in Nyon should be allowed to do whatever he feels like in any given situation.

Most of these offences are technicalities as clubs clearly don't do this intentionally in the hope they can clip him in without anybody noticing it. You may be able to do it in the Southampton Junior League Division 3 on a Saturday where you can slide him in as a ringer, but probably not in a Champion League game.

It does seem a harsh punishment for somebody who came on for a few minutes at the end of a dead tie, but they have broken the rule. The rules have to be black and white because the moment you allow exceptions, then other clubs will attempt to drive a coach and horse through them.

A fine for the club would be more than sufficient. The suspended player missed the required number of matches, but due to a stupid clerical error some of those matches weren't counted. So unless other clubs are itching to deliberately make clerical errors to have their suspended players technically not complete their ban, I don't see how giving the club a reasonable punishment (a fine) would open the flood gates to anything.