Peach/Krueger

Matthew Le God

Spot on. Refused to state our ends - a refusal to state our ambition, when ambition has been the key question of KL and the Board. Lack of ambition is the reason out best players and good manager have cited for leaving. This interview leaves more questions unanswered than it answers... Please stop this man from talking on behalf of the club. Please. Just shut up and deliver.

Please stop this man from talking on behalf of the supporters. Please. Just shut up. :(

The Board arent telling us anything, why are they so quite? The Board are telling us stuff but we dont believe it. The Board are saying things but we then just twist everthing they say to meet our own negative agenda.

Dontcha just love the bedwetters?

:hunt:

The club clearly want a more balanced squad. I also suspect that RK viewed AL and RL as squad players, preferring his two new signings. The question I have not seen those accusing the club of scaling back our ambitions answer is why are we trying to sign an England keeper? We finished 8th in a season when all three keepers were injured, our first choice quite badly. Easy for us to stick with status quo, but we appear to be investing millions.

Season before last we finished 14th. How will we compare?

GK - appear to be aiming to be much stronger.

Defence - Danny Fox played 14 games. Shaw was inexperienced 17 year old. Are our two LB options worse?

Midfield - Lallana had some criticism (26 games 4 goals) puncheon gone. Added Tadic possibly Taider & others. Also add options of JWP, Reed and isgrove and we look stronger, but most significantly add Wanyama - huge player for us - midfield much stronger.

Forward - only had Lambert and JayRod. If JayRod hits 75% of form he had before injury he will be more valuable than he was in 12/13. Pelle looks useful so hopefully not miles away from RL's 15 goals. We also now have Gallagher. Good argument to say we are stronger.

Is RK an upgrade on Adkins?

Have Steve Davis, Fonte, Clyne and Schneiderlin improved?

In my view we are well ahead of our 14th place season without further signings.

With some of Taider, Schelotto, Celtic x 2, Vlaar, Ings etc we could have stronger squad than last season. The biggest two factors will be how good is RK and how quickly players settle. RK was the fans' choice and if as good as we hope I'm sure we are not as doomed as those wallowing make out (hence Fitz going quiet on wager after his hot air ;) )

Interesting, sounds like Remy to me as we know he's a wage-chasing mercenary, otherwise he'd never have gone to QPR in the first place! FWIW I'd still love him at the club, especially for £8.5m if Bony would cost £20m...

IIRC, it was Bony.

Nice to see a 'fight back' from the Saints board as well as this board against the ****ing tiresome negativity on here. I'd be surprised if we hit the heights of 8th again this season but I'm quietly optimistic we'll do OK. Looking forward to it.

No, its because some of the most high profile/richest clubs in world football have offered the club huge amounts of money and turned the player's heads with offers of pay rises and a better chance of European/international football.

I wonder how many more times you'll have to post that this summer MLG? You must of posted dozens alreadly, when will people learn.

The club clearly want a more balanced squad. I also suspect that RK viewed AL and RL as squad players, preferring his two new signings. The question I have not seen those accusing the club of scaling back our ambitions answer is why are we trying to sign an England keeper? We finished 8th in a season when all three keepers were injured, our first choice quite badly. Easy for us to stick with status quo, but we appear to be investing millions.

Defence - Danny Fox played 14 games. Shaw was inexperienced 17 year old. Are our two LB options worse?

Midfield - Lallana had some criticism (26 games 4 goals) puncheon gone. Added Tadic possibly Taider & others. Also add options of JWP, Reed and isgrove and we look stronger, but most significantly add Wanyama - huge player for us - midfield much stronger.

Forward - only had Lambert and JayRod. If JayRod hits 75% of form he had before injury he will be more valuable than he was in 12/13. Pelle looks useful so hopefully not miles away from RL's 15 goals. We also now have Gallagher. Good argument to say we are stronger.

With some of Taider, Schelotto, Celtic x 2, Vlaar, Ings etc we could have stronger squad than last season. The biggest two factors will be how good is RK and how quickly players settle. RK was the fans' choice and if as good as we hope I'm sure we are not as doomed as those wallowing make out (hence Fitz going quiet on wager after his hot air ;) )

Far too sensible Nick! I agree with you. We are being told that we are aiming for a stronger squad this season and with a few more additions it looks like we will have that. We all know that we had no depth on the bench last season. Another goal scorer and a decent centre half and things will look so much better.

This post is barely comprehensible - why do you jump inconsistently and tortuously between last season and the season before last? Why isn't last season's squad the benchmark to assess where our squad is at? The season before last is a footnote for fools. Why is Lallana suddenly nothing more than squad player or Luke Shaw inexperienced, even though he has more prem experience than Bertrand?

We might get stronger -wait and see- but at the moment our squad is significantly weaker than last season's. To claim otherwise is revisionist tosh.

Edited by shurlock

So are you saying you think we can finish 14th, or our aim is 14th, or our realistic target is 14th, or we should aim to target a hope to aim realistically for 14th, or the club is aiming for a target of 14th but you think we can do better or worse, realistically or otherwise?

So are you saying you think we can finish 14th, or our aim is 14th, or our realistic target is 14th, or we should aim to target a hope to aim realistically for 14th, or the club is aiming for a target of 14th but you think we can do better or worse, realistically or otherwise?

Plus are we saying that the teams in the league this year are exactly as good as the teams in the league that year?

Interesting that he describes keeping a core of disgruntled players as an "insane risk".

Personally, I think selling off said players before lining up adequate replacements is an insane risk.

This.

And I would add selling Chambers when our back four had become so deleted was not necessary. (Hs value would certainly have increased even further over the coming season too.)

True, we got high prices for our Summer Sales, but we are being asked high prices for replacements as a result. We are pursuing an unsuccessful (so far) policy of trying to buy cheaply, but having to make do with loanees. Never the best way to rebuild a team and they seem like panic signings. We are bringing in seemingly lesser quality players (with the exception of Tadic and Pelle who were very good buys imo)

Is this the new Southampton Way?

The Board need to get real. We sold high but a consequence is that to get same-quality replacements we may well have to buy high. Because time is not now on our side.

This post is barely comprehensible - why do you jump inconsistently and tortuously between last season and the season before last? Why isn't last season's squad the benchmark to assess where our squad is at? The season before last is a footnote for fools. Why is Lallana suddenly nothing more than squad player or Luke Shaw inexperienced, even though he has more prem experience than Bertrand?

We might get stronger -wait and see- but at the moment our squad is significantly weaker than last season's. To claim otherwise is revisionist tosh.

Will try to make it very simple for you, sorry didn't think even posters on here would struggle. The initial question I raise does talk about last season. ( finding it hard to dumb it down for you sorry...) Err..posters say we are now tight, lacking ambition, finished 8th after GK injuries, none have left. If we are going backwards why are we spending millions on a keeper we don't need? (as in need if going to be lower level side).

The bit you find too demanding to follow, was a general response to those predicting relegation. We have a recent benchmark of the squad needed to finish 14th, therefore stay up. Luke Shaw was a inexperienced 17 year old, he hadn't played in an European final.

I really don't think you should need the Lallana question answered, just read what was written...

"I also suspect that RK viewed AL and RL as squad players, preferring his two new signings. ". I have not yet seen Tadic play, but judging by RK's comments and Tadic's reviews I suspect (note not know) that RK would have signed and played him even if Lallana was still here.

It doesn't say much for your intelligence if you find his post barely comprehensible. You ask why comparisons aren't being made between last season's team and the current team, but that would be a difficult comparison as the squad almost certainly isn't complete yet. He has picked areas where he perceives we are arguably stronger both now and from the season before, but as both of the past seasons have been in the PL, then comparisons pointing to progression have some validity.

Krueger has stated that it is our aim to start the new season stronger than we finished it and depending on our signings still to come, that is not an impossibility.

Regarding Lallana and Lambert , Nick thought it feasible to speculate that RK might have regarded them as squad players for the coming season; it wasn't his opinion. The comment about Shaw's inexperience regarded the season before. But it illustrates that it is not impossible to blood a young academy player to do a decent job and whether there are other players of his capabilities who are ready to step up remains to be seen.

Will try to make it very simple for you, sorry didn't think even posters on here would struggle. The initial question I raise does talk about last season. ( finding it hard to dumb it down for you sorry...) Err..posters say we are now tight, lacking ambition, finished 8th after GK injuries, none have left. If we are going backwards why are we spending millions on a keeper we don't need? (as in need if going to be lower level side).

The bit you find too demanding to follow, was a general response to those predicting relegation. We have a recent benchmark of the squad needed to finish 14th, therefore stay up. Luke Shaw was a inexperienced 17 year old, he hadn't played in an European final.

I really don't think you should need the Lallana question answered, just read what was written...

"I also suspect that RK viewed AL and RL as squad players, preferring his two new signings. ". I have not yet seen Tadic play, but judging by RK's comments and Tadic's reviews I suspect (note not know) that RK would have signed and played him even if Lallana was still here.

As I don't know anyone who is direly predicting relegation (other than a small, irrelevant handful), I didn't appreciate the gold standard was the class of 2012/13 that secured survival with the second from last game of the season. But whatever works for you and the confused point you're attempting to make.

Now if you want to work with what many people actually said - that the team, as currently assembled, would struggle -which is not the same thing as predicting they will go down (to make things simpler for you), the bar has to be set much higher. How high is anyone's guess, though as last season showed (perhaps uncharacteristically), unless you were consistently in the top 10 -say doing a Stoke- there was always a risk of getting sucked into a dogfight. Nobody would have said that Palace (11th) had an easy ride.

Edited by shurlock

As I don't know anyone who is direly predicting relegation (other than a small, irrelevant handful), I didn't appreciate the gold standard was the class of 2012/13 that secured survival with the second from last game of the season. But whatever works for you and the confused point you're attempting to make.

Now if you want to work with what many people actually said - that the team, as currently assembled, would struggle -which is not the same thing as predicting they will go down (to make things simpler for you), the bar has to be set much higher. How high is anyone's guess, though as last season showed, unless you were consistently in the top 10 -say doing a Stoke- there was always a risk of getting sucked into a dogfight. Nobody would have said that Palace (11th) had an easy ride.

You still don't appear to be capable of understanding the points that Nick made, as also evidenced by your misunderstanding that the remark made about Lallana and Lambert was Nick's conjecture about Koeman's thoughts on them.

Nobody is talking about a "gold standard" of 2012/13 season apart from you. Nick references it to make a point about progress made in certain players brought in since, or improvements in experience of those existing players. When so-called star players left, there was a knee-jerk reaction from a fair number of posters that relegation was now a distinct possibility, so it is entirely reasonable for Nick to attempt to rationalise why he believes it will not happen, especially as our position has already been improved by incoming replacements since then and will almost certainly continue to improve further.

Ironic really that you cite Palace as a team that finished 11th as having a difficult ride. Undoubtedly so, but then again, it is possibly the clearest evidence yet to support the position that despite the seemingly desperate position that some of our more hard of thinking fans find us in, there is clearly the possibility of significant improvements to come over the course of the season, let alone within the next couple of weeks.

You still don't appear to be capable of understanding the points that Nick made, as also evidenced by your misunderstanding that the remark made about Lallana and Lambert was Nick's conjecture about Koeman's thoughts on them.

Nobody is talking about a "gold standard" of 2012/13 season apart from you. Nick references it to make a point about progress made in certain players brought in since, or improvements in experience of those existing players. When so-called star players left, there was a knee-jerk reaction from a fair number of posters that relegation was now a distinct possibility, so it is entirely reasonable for Nick to attempt to rationalise why he believes it will not happen, especially as our position has already been improved by incoming replacements since then and will almost certainly continue to improve further.

Ironic really that you cite Palace as a team that finished 11th as having a difficult ride. Undoubtedly so, but then again, it is possibly the clearest evidence yet to support the position that despite the seemingly desperate position that some of our more hard of thinking fans find us in, there is clearly the possibility of significant improvements to come over the course of the season, let alone within the next couple of weeks.

Of course, I understand, you plum. But there isn't a shred of evidence that Koeman viewed Lallana as a squad player (cf. Chambers). Heigh ho we'll leave it at benign speculation, though.

Never mind that the whole tenor of Nick G's post was to attempt and justify why, in his view, we've made progress. :lol:

Edited by shurlock

Of course, I understand, you plum. But there isn't a shred of evidence that Koeman viewed Lallana as a squad player (cf. Chambers). Heigh ho we'll leave it at benign speculation, though.

Never mind that the whole tenor of Nick G's post was to attempt and justify why, in his view, we've made progress. :lol:

Have we made no progress then? In my opinion, Tadic will prove to be an upgrade on Lallana, Pelle will prove to be better than Lambert and Koeman will prove to be the better manager than Pochettino. As nobody knows that this will be so until some way into the new season, then it is all about opinions. But those who believe that we will not end up stronger than we finished the last season have no more validity to that opinion than those who take the opposing point of view.