Chairman on 5 live at 8pm 5th August

positivepete

Before he gets too much criticism for what he is or isn't saying, no one promised you any new information... it could simply be that 5Live asked for an interview so if there is no new information, you're not going to get any.

Loving the fact that they are actually grilling him, krueger hasnt come out of this very well IMO. We have needed to have someone actually asking meaningful questions rather then just allowing him to talk his prepared speech.

I think there are relevant negatives and positives on display here, anyone writing any info no matter whether it is pos or neg is for me an idiot that is either agenda driven point scoring or head in the sand nonsense.

Before he gets too much criticism for what he is or isn't saying, no one promised you any new information... it could simply be that 5Live asked for an interview so if there is no new information, you're not going to get any.
Exactly. What do people expect to be stated in these interviews?

It's no wonder we are getting mugged off by the rest of the footballing world, he is far too naive to be a chairman at this level. It's all about image and he has the impression of a friendly Canadian uncle crossed with an evasive child.

I dont think he can win. Yes, he answers a bit like a politician and waffles around the question, but to be fair most chairmen do.

He could however end all this speculation by being honest surely? Fans might be annoyed but anything can be understood or forgiven if they are honest with the fans, whether its financial or bad-egg players or too good offers to refuse etc.

talking Saints

David Pleat

no way will they be able to reproduce last season with the players they have gone. Its starting from scratch

McGarry (journo)

Farcical what is going on. You dont sell that many players without having quality in already or quickly in. Now look, they are struggling to make signings and the season starts next weekend. madness

Steve Claridge

Lots of answers needed about the club and the direction. The sales when you let so many go will be difficult to stop

Ralphy

we tried to keep MP

we tried to keep the players

expect the unexpected

MP wanted to move for a better chance of CL football

we have an exciting manager

we were in control of the sales

everyone is excited about the new season

when you talk about players out, you have to talk about players in

Koeman wants to continue the football philosophy

Koeman has chance to mould his own team and here long term

Sorry if we couldnt be more open about it all at the time

lots of funds for fees, wages etc for the team and this should be exciting

transfer market in football is very dynamic and interesting

you have to sustain success and we will do that

the passion of the sport is wonderful and more so in southampton

(clip of a cortese interview from a while ago, talking about how the club want to challenge the top sides. saying we didnt have the resources but we had a different angle in the youth system with great players. we created talents that half the world seems to be after. we wanted to keep most of them)

agrees with NC on youth. the structure is incredible and we will continue to believe in our youth system and get many into the team

shaw would not have got the games he did at a higher club. shows the opportunities are there

will use the money to have a deeper squad that last year

there is no guarantee that the youth players will all be good enough

more names will be made from the young players that remain

koeman was aware that sales would be made when offers came in

ronald was involved in every part of the sales and signings

did not expect so many players would be chased like they were

We look at our squad and morgan is the centre piece he is not for sale

understand player emotions and they will communicate that

Morgan will be there and is not far sale

Jay is another part of the team that we want to build and his rehab continues

wont say if offers came in for morgan and jay and neither are for sale

with this new business plan, wont give targets but we will be competitive

want to build the club step by step to european football and the foundations were not there when we came in

£92m is a little too high, was not quite that much but it was a very strong sum

had to make payments for money owed for players

been given green light from owner to invest large parts into fees and wages

was hired to bring in a culture to be as well run as possible

we dont expect trust over night and understand the emotions from the fans

we ask for time from fans and understand we have to earn fans respect

club is not for sale otherwise would not have turned down very lucrative hockey jobs in the NFL

Katherina insists the club is not for sale and wants to grow the club in the interests of the investment of her father

there we are

It's no wonder we are getting mugged off by the rest of the footballing world, he is far too naive to be a chairman at this level. It's all about image and he has the impression of a friendly Canadian uncle crossed with an evasive child.
What the actual f**k :lol:

Seriously? You're able to make that full judgement on his ability based on the fact he doesn't say what you want him to say and how you want him to say it?

Not fair to just pick on you here Colin, so apologies for that, but there are too many people making judgements clouded by their own expectations IMO...

I'm not surprised at the negativity from the likes of hypo and Colin etc

Saint Steve if cortesse had not got out of control and went against the owners he would still be with us

He didn't that's why he left therefore. I'm my mind he's the start of all the problems

David Pleat , what a numpty

Ralph gives interview, fans don't like how he talks, demand club keep him quiet

les gives interview, fans don't like what they hear, call him a liar, demand club keep him quiet

club stays quiet, fans don't like it, demand club make a statement on everything

ralph gives interview, fans don't like how he talks etc etc etc

Pleat sums it up perfectly... but the question is how much of the FFP rules have dictated this 'firesale'.

We are in for a relegation battle as we won't score goals and we will ship them for fun.. unless we bring in quality.. no sign of that to date

reaction in the studio

saints are not the only team with a very good youth set up, they come across as they have

they will struggle hugely with the mad strategy they have taken

koeman will have to be an exceptional coach to make them competitive

Ralph comes across as a media diplomat

worrying faith in so many youngsters with no first team experience

Brought through academy players and sold at optimum prices. Sensible to sell 1 per season

to sell what they have so far this summer is utter madness

southampton have simply failed to bring in the players that ralph suggests

southampton have spent a lot of money in the last couple of years

club has a very good set up

morgan is making is very clear he wants out. be interesting to see his attitude if he is still there

Saint Steve if cortesse had not got out of control and went against the owners he would still be with us

He didn't that's why he left therefore. I'm my mind he's the start of all the problems

I'm not surprised at the delusion from the likes of viking.

You are naive to think Cortese caused these problems... the Owner has control and if not then its her own fault not Corteses.

talking Saints

David Pleat

no way will they be able to reproduce last season with the players they have gone. Its starting from scratch

McGarry (journo)

Farcical what is going on. You dont sell that many players without having quality in already or quickly in. Now look, they are struggling to make signings and the season starts next weekend. madness

Steve Claridge

Lots of answers needed about the club and the direction. The sales when you let so many go will be difficult to stop

Ralphy

we tried to keep MP

we tried to keep the players

expect the unexpected

MP wanted to move for a better chance of CL football

we have an exciting manager

we were in control of the sales

everyone is excited about the new season

when you talk about players out, you have to talk about players in

Koeman wants to continue the football philosophy

Koeman has chance to mould his own team and here long term

Sorry if we couldnt be more open about it all at the time

lots of funds for fees, wages etc for the team and this should be exciting

transfer market in football is very dynamic and interesting

you have to sustain success and we will do that

the passion of the sport is wonderful and more so in southampton

(clip of a cortese interview from a while ago, talking about how the club want to challenge the top sides. saying we didnt have the resources but we had a different angle in the youth system with great players. we created talents that half the world seems to be after. we wanted to keep most of them)

agrees with NC on youth. the structure is incredible and we will continue to believe in our youth system and get many into the team

shaw would not have got the games he did at a higher club. shows the opportunities are there

will use the money to have a deeper squad that last year

there is no guarantee that the youth players will all be good enough

more names will be made from the young players that remain

koeman was aware that sales would be made when offers came in

ronald was involved in every part of the sales and signings

did not expect so many players would be chased like they were

We look at our squad and morgan is the centre piece he is not for sale

understand player emotions and they will communicate that

Morgan will be there and is not far sale

Jay is another part of the team that we want to build and his rehab continues

wont say if offers came in for morgan and jay and neither are for sale

with this new business plan, wont give targets but we will be competitive

want to build the club step by step to european football and the foundations were not there when we came in

£92m is a little too high, was not quite that much but it was a very strong sum

had to make payments for money owed for players

been given green light from owner to invest large parts into fees and wages

was hired to bring in a culture to be as well run as possible

we dont expect trust over night and understand the emotions from the fans

we ask for time from fans and understand we have to earn fans respect

club is not for sale otherwise would not have turned down very lucrative hockey jobs in the NFL

Katherina insists the club is not for sale and wants to grow the club in the interests of the investment of her father

there we are

I think that is a very encouraging interview frankly. Yes no really new information came to light but, importantly, not a hint of backtracking, no wiggling and sticking to the club's guns.

Thing I've taken away from this is that the central tennants of what Ralph says in all the interviews he has done over the last few weeks have stayed the same which leads me to suspect he is not lying.

He always sounds calm and unflustered as well, you can see he is awesome at saying a lot but not a lot confidently.

Be interesting to see what simon peach has in store for us later.

David Pleat shouldn't be qualified to comment on anything full stop and Steve Claridge should be embarassed by his lack of knowledge but he won't as he's too thick.

I just feel that the 'media' are in a feeding frenzy and pushing an agenda without paying any heed to the full facts - annoyed that the BBC have become part of it.

this has been said since NC left and MP with the players were all linked away

yet there they all go