Rickie Lambert - Dream to Nightmare?

georgeweahscousin

I'd overlooked that he could be living in Liverpool, enjoying the cosmopolitan atmosphere, going for walks on the Wirral and spending days on the beach at Southport. Beats the New Forest and English Channel beaches any day......not to mention the fantastic North East climate.

I'd overlooked that he could be living in Liverpool, enjoying the cosmopolitan atmosphere, going for walks on the Wirral and spending days on the beach at Southport. Beats the New Forest and English Channel beaches any day......not to mention the fantastic North East climate.

North West. Obviously not a professor of geography ;)

I think you can safely term Liverpool as an upgrade for him.

Don't believe he opened any floodgates and was genuinely touched by his message when he left. I am sure he knows that this may be is last/penultimate season and to spend it in any capacity associated with his boyhood team in his home town is a dream that few would deny him , especially after all he did for us.

When his career is looked back on I am sure he will be seen predominantly as a Saints player rather than a Liverpool player, and I don't think he'd be gutted about that

I have a feeling it's that story they think they bought.

Part of the problem is I think they see Rickie as a big man/something different in the Andy Carroll mode ( that worked out well). It is the same view as was commonly held by media / fans at the World Cup and we know

that it underuses RL.

That said, I think for a pay rise and a few minutes here and there I'd play for my boyhood club. Plus nutjob Mario will be suspended half the time.

You forgot to mention the really light mornings.

Part of the problem is I think they see Rickie as a big man/something different in the Andy Carroll mode ( that worked out well). It is the same view as was commonly held by media / fans at the World Cup and we know that it underuses RL.

Do you really think they bought Lambert for a role he doesn't really perform? Do you think the scouting goes like this:

Rogers: We need a target man.

Scout: Lambert's a target man.

Rogers: Is he?

Scout: Papers seem to think so.

Rogers: Good enough for me - get him in.

Despite the fact that Rogers also got rid of Carroll because they don't play with a target man. But yeah, other than that - I'm sure that's what they bought him for...

I think Rodgers is more intelligent than some on here think. Lambert will no doubt be used more and more as an impact sub. Look what happened last weekend. As soon as he came on we panicked leading to the defensive error that led to Sterling's header to Sturridge.

The difference in the liverpool team was incredible when he came on, oddly without him actually doing a whole lot. Not sure if it was him coming on or just the time of the game, but it was like night and day to me.

He'll get a fair few sub appearances.

The difference in the liverpool team was incredible when he came on, oddly without him actually doing a whole lot. Not sure if it was him coming on or just the time of the game, but it was like night and day to me.

It was against us! It was bound to have a massive impact.

Do you really think they bought Lambert for a role he doesn't really perform? Do you think the scouting goes like this:

Rogers: We need a target man.

Scout: Lambert's a target man.

Rogers: Is he?

Scout: Papers seem to think so.

Rogers: Good enough for me - get him in.

Despite the fact that Rogers also got rid of Carroll because they don't play with a target man. But yeah, other than that - I'm sure that's what they bought him for...

Calm down (period started?).

Sure Brendan may have a plan but I'm not convinced in him.

If you look at their message boards their fans at least see Lambert as someone who "brings them something different" and it's a common view in the press (ie. Pre-WC debate of Lambert vs. Carroll). It's not right but it is a perception.

I think Lambert is a smashing player, more as a creator for others than back post big man, I fear though using him as an impact player isn't best use.

Time will tell.

I've watched it back a couple of times now and there was basically no difference in their successful play in the first half and second half in the brief periods they were successful.

The thing that gave us problems was the pace of Sterling on the break and their ability to support in numbers. They did that for about 15 minutes all match, and 10 of them were before Lambert was on the pitch. Even when he got on they went all around him with their play, he was just some bloke standing at the far post with his hand up being ignored by his team-mates for most of it.

I've watched it back a couple of times now and there was basically no difference in their successful play in the first half and second half in the brief periods they were successful.

The thing that gave us problems was the pace of Sterling on the break and their ability to support in numbers. They did that for about 15 minutes all match, and 10 of them were before Lambert was on the pitch. Even when he got on they went all around him with their play, he was just some bloke standing at the far post with his hand up being ignored by his team-mates for most of it.

This.

No matter how many times I have re-watched this game, the only difference all game was Sterling.

The9

;)

I was one of those singing his name at Anfield, bloke did a hell of a job for us in League One, Championship and the first 6 months in the Prem, but he was never going to be what we needed to be consistently top half with his lack of mobility. Not sure Pelle is either, but then our expectations are hugely different.

I was one of those singing his name at Anfield, bloke did a hell of a job for us in League One, Championship and the first 6 months in the Prem, but he was never going to be what we needed to be consistently top half with his lack of mobility. Not sure Pelle is either, but then our expectations are hugely different.

I'm just teasing mate. Nothing malicious I promise.

I've only watched it the once, so I'll take your word for it. Maybe down to the fact I was very nervous about SRL scoring against us so their play appeared more dangerous.

Edit: Still think he'll get a fair few sub appearances

There's every chance that Koeman would have relegated Lambert to the bench more often if he'd stayed here, to be fair.

With the number of games Liverpool are going to be playing he'll get his minutes

in losing both Lambert and Lallana ANY new manager would look to get new faces in the front line. Rickie's days were (sadly) numbered.

If Rickie had stayed he'd have been on the bench most games and got 20 mins. at the end, BUT good luck to him at Anfield anyway - he'll need it .

I've only watched it the once, so I'll take your word for it. Maybe down to the fact I was very nervous about SRL scoring against us so their play appeared more dangerous.

Edit: Still think he'll get a fair few sub appearances

I thought he'd probably start a few games against bottom half sides when they're away in Europe and then home on the weekend, but signing Balotelli means they can rotate Sturridge, Balotelli and Sterling without too much concern for Lambert, so I do think he's now going to be purely a bench option and someone to come on when they're already a couple ahead.

Dont forget we were extremely close to selling RL last jauary. To f00king West Spam of all ****ty teams.

And using him as an impact player will not work. Lamberts at that stage that when he's not playing regualy , then his form and touch disappear quickly. As we noticed during certain periods down here.

Dont think it will be a happy year for him. But i dont really care now.

Now Liverhampton are signing Ballotelli making things even more difficult for SRL. I still wish him the best but I can see him being loaned out to Tranmere.

Tranmere in the fourth division? Okay then.

Don't really understand why people on here think the Balotelli signing changes anything for Rickie. He knowingly signed as a squad filler back up striker. He signed when Suarez was still at the club.

Liverpool were always going to sign a Suarez replacement, and RL would know this.

All the players that left us this summer (bar Chambers) were actually crap and overrated and are set to be found out by their new clubs. They have been cursed by Kat, will suffer career threatening injuries, or eke out some pathetic existence on the bench of a Premier League football club. When they have been found wanting they will come back begging to St. Mary's, cap in hand, a shadowy simulacra of what once was. To complete the humiliating ordeal, Ralph and Kat, will snatch the p45 form from the filthy emaciated clasp of the discarded player, and throw it onto an effigy built for Mauricio Pochettino. The crowd will cackle, the bonfire will crackle, and Les Reed will have his day. mmm...cathartic.

. As soon as he came on we panicked leading to the defensive error that led to Sterling's header to Sturridge.

We panicked? Really? Or was it just that Wanyama made a poor effort to clear the ball and his mistimed/misdirected header fell kindly for Sturridge?