Rickie Lambert - Dream to Nightmare?

georgeweahscousin

V MU he struggled to fit in. He played with his usual movement into spaces but was largely ignored except one ball from Gerrard that he mi****. Liverpool's style with Sterling running with the ball effectively froze him out. This move, football wise may be a big mistake. Saint's style was built around him and Lallana but now they have to fit in with Liverpool. I don't think it's going to work. It will be interesting to see what happens to them including Lovren.

Much as I dislike Lovren's behaviour. Annoyingly, I think he is the one that is most likely to be a success up there.

Much as I dislike Lovren's behaviour. Annoyingly, I think he is the one that is most likely to be a success up there.

If those players don't find form, and quickly, they will all catch flak.

It's a good job Lovren isn't the sort of chap to throw a tantrum when things aren't going his way ;)

I agree. Lovren is a key signing for Liverpool as they were weak at CB last year - you would certainly expect him to get the most games of the 3. I think Lallana could do OK eventually but think he will need time to settle in, so it's a case of whether he is allowed that time.

Don't believe he opened any floodgates and was genuinely touched by his message when he left. I am sure he knows that this may be is last/penultimate season and to spend it in any capacity associated with his boyhood team in his home town is a dream that few would deny him , especially after all he did for us.

When his career is looked back on I am sure he will be seen predominantly as a Saints player rather than a Liverpool player, and I don't think he'd be gutted about that

He should certainly have the most impact for them - for all the signing creative players, it was a decent CB and DM they need(ed). The rest of their transfers are just to sustain a CL campaign on top of trying to retain their Prem top 4 status (which I don't think they will without Suarez).

He's gone and therefore I could not care less.That said, if things go really pear shaped for the both of us I wonder if we might take him back in the January window?

Not unless we were in the bottom 6 and failing to score enough goals. And even then, I should think he'd rather stay where he is, for the money if nothing else.

Hate reading what I've read on twitter, he's being totally disrespected by his 'own' fans. I know he had times here where he wasn't effective, but you've got bear with him.

I do have a funny feeling though that with us and Lambert it was a case of right place, right time. I cannot see him having a similar impact elsewhere, and I could see him back here on loan in a season or so.

Talking (or ribbing) my Liverpool supporting mate last week I was surprised what he thought about Rickie. I explained to him that what he described to me, I had never seen in Rickie in all his time with us. I also asked him why the world class player he described only played 3 minutes at the World Cup?

If he is typical I think Rickie will have a tough time meeting those expectations, Perhaps those fans only ever saw our few highlights on MOTD and seem to have a slightly warped perception of what they have purchased!

Lambert has stepped up to every challenge and succeeded and I suspect we will see him reeling away after scoring at Anfield (not on the first game of the season though).

Probably get his his first prem hat rick against saints, and then never scores again for Liverpool.

Probably get his his first prem hat rick against saints, and then never scores again for Liverpool.

I predict Saints to go 1-0 early in the first half up thanks to a Tadic screamer. Liverpool will then dominate the game but will huff n puff and won't score until Licky comes on as a 65th min sub and pulls one back.

It'll all be Liverpool until the 88th minute when Saints get an unlikely corner... ...resulting in a Lovren O.G. to win the game for Saints. Lallana will then accidentally get on the supporters coach back to Southampton.

You heard it here first.

I predict Saints to go 1-0 early in the first half up thanks to a Tadic screamer. Liverpool will then dominate the game but will huff n puff and won't score until Licky comes on as a 65th min sub and pulls one back.

It'll all be Liverpool until the 88th minute when Saints get an unlikely corner... ...resulting in a Lovren O.G. to win the game for Saints. Lallana will then accidentally get on the supporters coach back to Southampton.

You heard it here first.

Licky Rambert?

I wished Lambert well when he left and I hope it works for him but I do not think it will. I am sorry he is getting stick from LFC fans.

I did not wish Lallana well and I could not care less if it works for him and I hope it does not and I hope he gets stick from LFC fans. Pure childishness.

I did not wish Lovren well and I could not care less if it works for him but I think he will do well there.

Time to move on.

I wish Rickie nothing but the best. It still hurts seeing him in a 'Pool shirt, but I want him to do well.

There is one big caveat to that success, I do not want him to do well against Saints. Anyone else, crack on lad.

Absolutely!

I wished Lambert well when he left and I hope it works for him but I do not think it will. I am sorry he is getting stick from LFC fans.

I did not wish Lallana well and I could not care less if it works for him and I hope it does not and I hope he gets stick from LFC fans. Pure childishness.

I did not wish Lovren well and I could not care less if it works for him but I think he will do well there.

Time to move on.

Why??? Personally I could not give a flying fig about ANY player that does not want to play for Saints any more - what ever the justification! If they move on, then they are not part of a team I support, and could not give a damn about how well they get on at their new club (which I do not support). I support my team, not individual player !!

Lambert wasn't signed to become their leading striker, and I'm pretty sure he knew that. He's a back up, probably intended to be played in some of the easier games while Sturridge and Suarez' replacement (if one comes) take the Champions League matches.

I can well understand why Rickie saw this as a dream move, but the trouble with dreams is that eventually you have to wake up – usually to a much harsher reality.

Playing a tremendous, talismanic role in our recent success didn’t prevent some Saints’ supporters suggesting he didn’t warrant a place in our premier league side. Little wonder then that supporters of Liverpool – where his only previous role has been that of teenage reject – are starting to think likewise.

Whatever happens, he’ll always be a Saints’ legend for me.

Ouch! The self pity in Self Pity City knows no bounds - 'put a pony-tail on Lambert and it would feel like we had Carroll back'. Something tells me our departed 'stars' won't be given very much time to find their feet.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/03/lambert-twitter-reaction/

Where as our supporters get behind all the players 100% of the time.

Ouch! The self pity in Self Pity City knows no bounds - 'put a pony-tail on Lambert and it would feel like we had Carroll back'. Something tells me our departed 'stars' won't be given very much time to find their feet.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/03/lambert-twitter-reaction/

Self pity city? What a laugh. Didn't see one confirmed Liverpool-based fan there, although @crstig sounds familiar.

Perhaps he lives in Liverpool, and is self-pitying himself right now :)

Tube.

Where as our supporters get behind all the players 100% of the time.

Good work, Lord D.

Hate reading what I've read on twitter, he's being totally disrespected by his 'own' fans. I know he had times here where he wasn't effective, but you've got bear with him.

I do have a funny feeling though that with us and Lambert it was a case of right place, right time. I cannot see him having a similar impact elsewhere, and I could see him back here on loan in a season or so.

Hope not - it struck me as damn good business to get rid at this particular time. The art is knowing when to dispose of players and I think Saints got it right on this score. Having said that I wish him well at Liverpool

Just did a quick search of Rickie Lambert on twitter.

Rickie might have got his 'dream' move, but looks like he is going to struggle to get even close to the support he had here. The Scousers have already written him off.

I wish him well ....I really do, but your post reminded me of the parable of the Prodigal Son comes to mind..........

They only signed Lambert to make Gerrard look mobile. They are ****ed this season. No Suarez, Sturridge has caught Torres disease in Brazil and Gerrard's legs have gone. And they still have Glen Johnson. Going to be a sorry old season for the ex Saints lads. They should have saved their money and instead splashed out on some studs for Gerrard last season.

Edited by Kingsbridge Saint

Don't believe he opened any floodgates and was genuinely touched by his message when he left. I am sure he knows that this may be is last/penultimate season and to spend it in any capacity associated with his boyhood team in his home town is a dream that few would deny him , especially after all he did for us.

When his career is looked back on I am sure he will be seen predominantly as a Saints player rather than a Liverpool player, and I don't think he'd be gutted about that

Not so 'few' actually it would appear......

Liverpool were his boyhood team bla bla but he had a contract with us and we made home the player and enabled him to achieve. He should have stayed end of......

Self pity city? What a laugh. Didn't see one confirmed Liverpool-based fan there, although @crstig sounds familiar.

Perhaps he lives in Liverpool, and is self-pitying himself right now :).

That is me. I do not live in Liverpool, though my mum is a Scouse!

That tweet was just a lark because he missed the penalty!

Not so 'few' actually it would appear......

Liverpool were his boyhood team bla bla but he had a contract with us and we made home the player and enabled him to achieve. He should have stayed end of......

Not sure where you're getting your evidence for "not so few" from. You're the only person I've seen so far who thinks Lambert should have stayed. Everyone else is somewhere on the scale of "he was past it anyway" to "nice gesture/good business for the club not to stand in his way as he's done so well for us".

The thing that always sticks with me, is "name another outfielder over the age of 32 who has gone for more than £4m". It's not easy.

They only signed Lambert to make Gerrard look mobile.

So far what he's done is a very good "old Jordan Henderson" impression - it's actually difficult to tell them apart on the pitch from gait and stride, until one of them starts closing down and looks sprightly and youthful with multiple direction changes, and the other one doesn't.

He will still have a grin like a Cheshire Cat when he first bangs one in at the Kop end - and all that has gone previously will be forgotten. I, for one, will be grinning with him........as long as it is not in the first game of the season.

That is me. I do not live in Liverpool, though my mum is a Scouse!

That tweet was just a lark because he missed the penalty!

I knew it was you, which is why I brought your non-scouse arse (only half as it turns out) into the equation.

I speak with local LFC fans all the time. They're a lot more realistic about why Lambert was bought and where he'll fit into the team. I certainly haven't heard the "replacement for Suarez" stuff out of them.

I still hope he does well, although not against us of course.

Good on him if he HCDAJFT and put a few in the net.

Hope they finish lower than 5th still.

And at the end of his contract he can come be Perth Glory's marquee signing for a season or two and I will love him all over again.

It's a shame for Rickie because he deserves better, but was always going to be a risk. Even the local LFC fans can be wholly unrealistic at times, and they are nowhere near as bad as the entitled masses further afield.

Expect similar criticism of Lallana when he puts in his first poor performance.

You're talking about a group of fans who hounded out a CL winning manager as a "fúcking fat Spanish waiter", after all :)

What you say contains elements of truth so the grass roots fans will indeed welcome Rickie, the season hasn't even started yet and they'll be patient as always, the problem lies in the main with 't'internet fans' and the train riders who want constant success as of yesterday. Social media being what it is these sort of fans now seem to have the greater sway in the public consciousness in that people tap the social media for information and indeed to 'vent'. It's one of the downsides of the massive clubs.

In fact there is a seeming paradoxical element to this social media input [output] and that it's supportive while somewhat destructive in the same context. Your "Fat Spanish Waiter" jibe is consistent with this, no true grass roots fan ever thinks that. Indeed if Rafa Benitez had won the ECL for say Everton, Arsenal, Newcastle, Saints, Sunderland, Spurs etc. etc. indeed say about 98% of football clubs in Europe, they'd have had a statue erected to him.

• 2 weeks later...

With Liverpool signing Ballotelli it's looking like Rickie may be about to relive his boyhood, watching Liverpool from the sidelines. At least a seat on the bench may give him a better view than a place on the Kop, but you can't help thinking he would have done better to stay at St Mary's and actually play 90 min football matches.

With Liverpool signing Ballotelli it's looking like Rickie may be about to relive his boyhood, watching Liverpool from the sidelines. At least a seat on the bench may give him a better view than a place on the Kop, but you can't help thinking he would have done better to stay at St Mary's and actually play 90 min football matches.

Best season ticket ever.

Ten year waiting list for normal people, and they don't get the backstage access.

when you look at where he has come from, I suspect he will love every minute of playing for liverpool and taking his family home

It will never be a nightmare for him. He has been slagged off by Saints fans before and then demonstrated why he is a top man and a great player.

He knows he won't start loads of games but he will make an impact.

Im sure he isnt in the least bit bothered by Twitter. He has already had a fairytale career and good on him.

He never went there as front line replacement for Suarez. He knew he'd be back-up and playing cup ties, so none of this would be a surprise for him.

It's a perfect move and he'll be more than happy to be squad meat: almost the direct opposite of our friend Artur.