morgan & jay staying

Asaint4ever

Even if they don't want to play and don't actually play, I think it vital for the appearance of the club that they don't get sold. It will also likely put a stop to anyone else (hopefully).

5 is bad enough (excluding Osvaldo, although the press like to include him so they can stack up the numbers), but not overly upset with Sir Rickie leaving, nor Shaw given that we get £30m, nor for that matter £25m-ish for Lallana. Chambers - a shame. Lovren would have preferred to have stayed, but I guess for £20m.......

So if they do stay, and every one else as well, then maybe, just maybe things won't look so bad. We've signed two good replacements (time will of course tell how good), and if we get more in, then the position really won't look as bad as all that. Maybe. If MS & JRod do stay.

As I have suggested before, you can always justify selling any one player, but what you can't justify is selling half the team. This should have been snipped in the bud -p which was the sale of Lambert while we had no manager and contrary to the stated club policy.

Very interested to see what has happened here. Something doesn't add up.

Peach, BBC and others reporting that they likely to be off. Now Ralph gives a copper-bottomed guarantee that they will be here in September.

I'm not sure the BBC go public on a likely move unless they feel they have a story.

Has there been a change of policy?

I wonder how Morgan and Jay feel about this, I suppose it might have been news to them too.

Odds on Ralph telling talkSPORT something completely different in 15 minutes?

Who knows? Maybe the advice was given that things had gotten out of control and someone needed to get a grip and sort things out, otherwise there was no chance of a sale. Maybe a potential purchaser said don't **** it up any more otherwise they would pull out.

Ralph will repeat the same thing.

Encouraging but here are far too many buts in there to be wholly convinced. Make some good signings of equal quality (if possible) and end up £50m up, then I will be happy.

Am I missing something here? Sky sports news are reported at 16:10 that "Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger has told Sky Sports News that Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez will be leaving the club this summer after they were both linked with moves to Tottenham."

I just posted that from their transfer news site. So who says they are staying?

You can't say no one has deliberately lied. Its is a matter of record that statements were made that were untrue. Whether or not that was deliberate is open to conjecture. You can have your opinion, but others can have theirs and are just as likely to be right.

The club has been utterly disrespectful towards the fans by fobbing us off with nonsense. If you look at their statements in May and then their actions then yes they have lied. I don't trust them to be able to run the club properly.

I've watched Krueger up-close for a number of years. He's a highly-principled man and a very decent guy. He didn't lie - his thoughts were expressed in the genuine belief that they were correct. It was the circumstances that changed, and his "football naivety" (plus Les Reed, I suspect) didn't help him much.

Its good news like the man who has his car stolen and then says, that's lucky, they've found the luggage that was in the boot. But you've still had your car stolen.

If this is true, it confirms that the other approaches for players could also have been turned down. I wonder if its not just Kruguer's credibility but that Morgan would have been the straw that broke the camel's back - in this case, that Koeman might have given him an ultimatum.

To all the head in the sand optimists who have been saying that the board have only done what they had to do, this shows that protests by the fans over mismanagement can have an effect.

Unfortunately, even if 3 signings are made we are still only back to evens on numbers and with three of the back four gone, no certainty as to whether the replacements will be as good, which is still short of the promise to strengthen the squad that was made by Kruguer and Reed. This won't get me to use my ticket to go to Brighton just to watch the reserves.

So is it 'Koeman's ultimatum' that has halted the sales or the 'protest by the fans'(lol).

Stop making stuff up.

Am I missing something here? Sky sports news are reported at 16:10 that "Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger has told Sky Sports News that Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez will be leaving the club this summer after they were both linked with moves to Tottenham."

They're so used to saying players are leaving they've got confused. Ralph categorically stated they would NOT be leaving.

Peach, BBC and others reporting that they likely to be off. Now Ralph gives a copper-bottomed guarantee that they will be here in September.

I'm not sure the BBC go public on a likely move unless they feel they have a story.

I wonder how Morgan and Jay feel about this, I suppose it might have been news to them too.

I'm wondering about some shifts within the boardroom. Did one of Guan's messages imply something of that sort?

I wonder if Reed's responsibilities may be scaled back.

It did feel like the whole Jayrod/Morgan comment is as a result of an urgent meeting of some kind; 'we have decided that they are part of the core we will retain'. That would fit in with all the reports that stated the deals were almost done. If that is the case, it will be interesting to see the reaction of Morgan and Jayrod.

I've watched Krueger up-close for a number of years. He's a highly-principled man and a very decent guy. He didn't lie - his thoughts were expressed in the genuine belief that they were correct. It was the circumstances that changed, and his "football naivety" (plus Les Reed, I suspect) didn't help him much.

Then as you say he was utterly naive and isn't suitably qualified to do his job. You can't accuse Les of naivety though and he can certainly be accused of not telling the truth.

It did feel like the whole Jayrod/Morgan comment is as a result of an urgent meeting of some kind; 'we have decided that they are part of the core we will retain'. That would fit in with all the reports that stated the deals were almost done. If that is the case, it will be interesting to see the reaction of Morgan and Jayrod.

He was very clear. No way he could wriggle out of having confirmed they would be staying, so will be interesting to see what happens.

Could be. Saw the rage caused by Chambers leaving and being the butt of all the jokes and decided they couldn't afford to lose any more.

You missed one important word..."not".

They have maybe spotted their error and corrected it.

Just to throw this one out there, as others have said....maybe there was an urgent meeting, and it also kind of backs up the reports that Morgan was meeting the club earlier today. Morgan made it clear that he wanted to see the plans and good signings made....maybe they've given Morgan the rundown on the players they're actually after and he's ended up coming away pretty excited by it all.

Just throwing a positive thought out there for the hell of it. I'm of the opinion that Ralf wouldn't have said something which such certainty if he hadn't spoken to both players and received their backing. There were no ifs, buts, maybes...a clear and straight ''No, they won't be going''.

Let's see the action now...

I'm wondering about some shifts within the boardroom. Did one of Guan's messages imply something of that sort?

I wonder if Reed's responsibilities may be scaled back.

Yep, I'm sort of heading in the same direction.

Not sure that it would be a schism or power-battle, but I did wonder if someone has said enough is enough. Perhaps Les was left on his own for too long?

Perhaps an adult looked at the numbers leaving and divided it by 11 (or a baker's first team as it's known), and realised that the result was worrying close to one.

I can't believe that this is the end of it. IF the story that was out there has some legs, then Morgan and Jay would surely have mentally packed their bags.

IF that is the case, then I can't see them settling back into a team without their 'star' mates.

*I recognise that I'm making lots of assumptions in this hypothesis.

Now reporting the interview, both staying. Which means to me not allowed to leave.

People cry for a statement from the club. They're given one with a guarantee. Aforementioned people are not happy. What the fu•k do you want from them? Don't say "stop selling half the team" either. What's done is done.

Actions speak louder than words - what do I want - signings get the deals done. He said the same earlier and Lambert went almost next day!

Setting Ralph up to be the fall guy - Guan said yesterday there will be board changes.... 2=2??

...maybe they've given Morgan the rundown on the players they're actually after and he's ended up coming away pretty excited by it all.

Maybe, but I'd imagine the conversation was more like "Sorry Morgan, we simply can't afford to lose any more first teamers (in both football and PR terms). You'll have to wait until January/Summer".

Easier to take this line with J-Rod too as he'll want to prove his fitness.

Still, it's the right move to stop the rot so I'm not complaining.

Yep, I'm sort of heading in the same direction.

Not sure that it would be a schism or power-battle, but I did wonder if someone has said enough is enough. Perhaps Les was left on his own for too long?

Perhaps an adult looked at the numbers leaving and divided it by 11 (or a baker's first team as it's known), and realised that the result was worrying close to one.

I can't believe that this is the end of it. IF the story that was out there has some legs, then Morgan and Jay would surely have mentally packed their bags.

IF that is the case, then I can't see them settling back into a team without their 'star' mates.*I recognise that I'm making lots of assumptions in this hypothesis.

Absolutely. I think I will only be confident in this "guarantee" of Morgan and Jay staying if we hear something from them confirming they are happy with this apparent "about-face". I still think it's more than likely that Morgan will be sold if he digs his heels in and says more publicly that he wants out. I just don't have confidence in our board to see this through.

Wonder if it was leaked by the club to give Ralph an open goal today. You never know.

Indeed great news if true. Have to listen again as I was certain he said both players are playing at Brighton TONIGHT!!! Firstly the match is on Thursday and Jay cannot play. Can anyone confirm him saying this?

Interesting that in the Solent interview Krueger wouldn't be drawn on how the players felt about staying put, and effectively said it didn't matter as they are in a professional situation. I only wish we had taken that sort of attitude with Chambers.

Perhaps we've relied on Schneiderlin's reasonableness (he's already said he wouldn't force a move) and benefited from J-Rod's injury to keep them at the club. They might not be happy about it but I doubt they are the type of characters to rock the boat either.

Morgan had a meeting with Kruger today at St Mary's where he was told he wasn't leaving.

Morgan wasn't happy at all, but Kruger stuck to his guns.

Time will tell if this approach affects squad harmony.

So why did we do that with him but none of the others? Odd.