Defectors Watch

adrian lord

I've taken your advice and checked again. And I find that last year we won two, drew two and lost one = 8 points. This season we have won three, drawn one, lost one = 10 points.

Just so that you know what I am counting as the results, last year we beat West Brom 1-0, drew with Sunderland 1-1, lost to Norwich 0-1, drew with West Ham 0-0 and won against Liverpool 0-1

Last season we had scored 3 and conceded 1, a goal difference of +1

This season we have scored 9 and conceded 3, a goal difference of +6

Naturally I am not including the Cup matches, not that that makes any difference.

You are right after five games we have 10 points

But last season against Liverpool West Brom West Ham Newcastle and Swansea we got 12 Points this season we have only got 10 so we are minus 2 points

they have adapted quickly enough to it to gain better results than those achieved by Pochettino over the corresponding 5 matches last season when he was here.

I've taken your advice and checked again. And I find that last year we won two, drew two and lost one = 8 points. This season we have won three, drawn one, lost one = 10 points.

Just so that you know what I am counting as the results, last year we beat West Brom 1-0, drew with Sunderland 1-1, lost to Norwich 0-1, drew with West Ham 0-0 and won against Liverpool 0-1

Last season we had scored 3 and conceded 1, a goal difference of +1

This season we have scored 9 and conceded 3, a goal difference of +6

Naturally I am not including the Cup matches, not that that makes any difference.

The table is comparative results against the same opposition' date=' not comparative results for the first five fixtures.[/quote'] Exactly. Comparing results against the same opposition doesn't tell us that much, but is still a lot more worthwhile than just looking at the first five games from a previous season regardless of the opposition and actually does fit with the word "corresponding" in this context.

Exactly. Comparing results against the same opposition doesn't tell us that much, but is still a lot more worthwhile than just looking at the first five games from a previous season regardless of the opposition and actually does fit with the word "corresponding" in this context.

Have a look in a dictionary at the word corresponding. I think that you will find that it does cover my meaning. I made a straight comparison between the first five matches of this season and the corresponding first five from last season, so both of you are wrong to nit-pick using your own selective parameters for comparison. If you don't think that they are a reasonable basis for comparison, then tough. Koeman has had a better start to the season than Pochettino over the first five matches. For the benefit of Lalllana's Left Peg, the table is determined by the number of points achieved and goal difference. It really is quite simple to understand.

Koeman has also had a better start with Saints than Pochettino has with Spurs over the first five games come to that.

You are right after five games we have 10 points

But last season against Liverpool West Brom West Ham Newcastle and Swansea we got 12 Points this season we have only got 10 so we are minus 2 points

And last year we got beaten by Norwich, who got relegated, could only draw at home against Sunderland who nearly got relegated and could only draw with West Ham at home, who we beat away 3-1. This year we got beaten by Liverpool away which we won last year, but this year they had bought half of our best players ;)

Have a look in a dictionary at the word corresponding. I think that you will find that it does cover my meaning. I made a straight comparison between the first five matches of this season and the corresponding first five from last season, so both of you are wrong to nit-pick using your own selective parameters for comparison. If you don't think that they are a reasonable basis for comparison, then tough. Koeman has had a better start to the season than Pochettino over the first five matches. For the benefit of Lalllana's Left Peg, the table is determined by the number of points achieved and goal difference. It really is quite simple to understand.

Koeman has also had a better start with Saints than Pochettino has with Spurs over the first five games come to that.

duty_calls.png

:lol: Make whichever comparison you want, it's not particularly relevant.

I know we should nt be bitter and should move on but its great watching the defectors struggle. I also think that the worst the defectors do the better the chances of keeping JRod, MS and others as the excuses were all about playing in the CL etc. What do you think the most realistic best case scenario will be - mine is:

Saints 6th and in Europe

Liverpool 7th outside of Europe - Worst defensive record than last year - fans on Lovrens back, Lallana consigned to bit part player and Lambert top scorer for Liverpool

Spurs 14th, unrest with the players, uncertainty over Poch by Xmas and gone by the summer

Man U 10th with Shaw a bench warmer playing less than 6 games

Arsenal 3rd Chambers bit part player

We can only hope

I know we should nt be bitter and should move on but its great watching the defectors struggle. I also think that the worst the defectors do the better the chances of keeping JRod, MS and others as the excuses were all about playing in the CL etc. What do you think the most realistic best case scenario will be - mine is:

Saints 6th and in Europe

Liverpool 7th outside of Europe - Worst defensive record than last year - fans on Lovrens back, Lallana consigned to bit part player and Lambert top scorer for Liverpool

Spurs 14th, unrest with the players, uncertainty over Poch by Xmas and gone by the summer

Man U 10th with Shaw a bench warmer playing less than 6 games

Arsenal 3rd Chambers bit part player

We can only hope

It's not really bitterness, it's more detached amusement. A great weekend for Defectors Watch fans. Feel a bit sorry for Rickie but I guess he knew he'd only be bit part...

I remember Mick Channon talking about Lawrie Mac. He didn't concentrate on tactics, he bought good players and let them play. As a manager do you take a bunch of players and make them play in a certain way or do you look at what you have and play to their strengths?

Pochettino did well for us but we didn't win any cups and we finished mid table. I'll start hailing him as a football genius when he wins something. The leagues are full of also-rans.

Feel a bit sorry for Rickie but I guess he knew he'd only be bit part...

Well I reckon he viewed the "bit" as bigger than it is now. I am guessing he didnt know Borini would stay and be above him in the pecking order, or that Balotelli was coming.

I dont feel sorry for him. He cast aside the best years of his career with little careful thought, on a notion of romantic bullsh*t and, maybe, money.

Poor Luke. It's just not going his way. I did warn him before he signed for Man U.

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-man-united-boss-van-gaal-does-not-rate-shaw-claims-meulensteen-140922114972

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2764969/Louis-van-Gaal-does-NOT-rate-Luke-Shaw-claims-former-Manchester-United-coach-Rene-Meulensteen.html

And the Mail jumps on the bandwagon.

I actually feel sorry for him. His agents and those around him would have acted on his behalf and you have to ask whether they made the best decision for him. This is of course tempered by the knowledge that he is being handsomely paid. The interesting question would be, would you have him back in place of the £27-31m?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2764969/Louis-van-Gaal-does-NOT-rate-Luke-Shaw-claims-former-Manchester-United-coach-Rene-Meulensteen.html

And the Mail jumps on the bandwagon.

I actually feel sorry for him. His agents and those around him would have acted on his behalf and you have to ask whether they made the best decision for him. This is of course tempered by the knowledge that he is being handsomely paid. The interesting question would be, would you have him back in place of the £27-31m?

So according to the article Man U bought Luke becuase he has the potential to be a good player but isn't considered to be at Man U standard yet....really WTF?

It is. Why, some even predicted us to be fighting against relegation before the whistle had even sounded to start the first game of our season.

Of course you can predict after five games but it will not be so accurate as after twenty games or after thirty games

All I know is that our results against Liverpool West Ham WBA Newcastle are not as good as they were last season so there is a possibility that we may not do as well as last year but after ten games we will have a clearer picture

I have no idea where we will finish but the usual suspects will probably finish in the top 7 and we will be 8 to 13

What about you

So according to the article Man U bought Luke becuase he has the potential to be a good player but isn't considered to be at Man U standard yet....really WTF?

Yes, that caught my eye. If they are going to spend £30m on a player who may or may not have potential to be good enough, then that is yet another instance of how mad the world of football at the top has become. To be fair, Wenger did the same with Chambers albeit at a cheaper price. But it seems that Man U have absolutely no idea how to operate in the transfer market. Moyes was shockingly bad and only managed to sign Fellaini for a ridiculous amount, and then later in the January window, Mata for another ridiculous amount. This latest window they signed Shaw and di Maria for ridiculous amounts. People are saying Rojo was way overpriced (but in the scheme of things at OT he is cheap!!). Falcao cost an arm and a leg for the loan. Bilbao got a ridiculous fee for Herrera. Blind seems OK. But then they go and sell Welbeck for peanuts.

AS for their recent signing, Zaha - waste of £15m. £27m Fellaini would have got the chop if he hadn't injured himself. Mata - there were murmurings that he was going to get the boot,

Saggy Chops came up with a good thought the other day. While talking about FFP, and acknowledging that it was based on income, he moved the discussion a little further on and asked what is fair about one team being able to spend £200m and another £8m. Shame it is coming from him with his record: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/qpr-boss-harry-redknapp-slams-4208336

Of course you can predict after five games but it will not be so accurate as after twenty games or after thirty games

All I know is that our results against Liverpool West Ham WBA Newcastle are not as good as they were last season so there is a possibility that we may not do as well as last year but after ten games we will have a clearer picture

I have no idea where we will finish but the usual suspects will probably finish in the top 7 and we will be 8 to 13

What about you

Well, I didn't predict anything, did I? I merely made a comparison against the first 5 matches from last season and concluded that we had gained more points under Koeman than Pochettino achieved after his first five matches.

But as I pointed out, there were those who had predicted a relegation battle ahead for us, before the season had even started, including much of the media and various pundits.

But as a bit of fun, I had predicted earlier that I saw no reason why we shouldn't achieve the same 8th place we had last, but now I'll stick my neck out and say 6th. We dropped a couple of places last season because of injuries to Boruc and Wanyama early in the season and to Rodriguez later in the season and lost momentum as a result. I believe that this season we have better cover and more depth than last. The teams that we might rise above? Everton and Spurs look to be possibiliities, but Liverpool and Man Utd might go either way.

that's only Rene Meulensteen's opinion, not necessarily the managers, albeit backed up by the fact Shaw hasn't been selected, by tapered by the fact he has been injured.

Luke Shaw is one of the best LB's in the league, unfortunately for him, Man Utd have brought in a manager who wants to play without full backs.

It will be a real shame if he barely gets to play because he is a hell of a talent, and a better player than all those currently playing for Man Utd. However, its his choice for choosing to go to a big club at his age, whereas he'd be playing every week if he was here.

No sympathy really.

Always maintained that we don't 'need' a £30million left back. Bertrand is doing a great job and for (potentially) a third of the price. Would rather have Bertrand for 10, than Shaw for 30. I'm obviously well aware Shaw is a far superior player though.

Comparing the same fixtures against the same opponents makes no sense because they are different teams this year. Comparing the first five games against the first five games makes no sense because they are different teams this year. I, of course, have the correct comparison to make.

Last year we had 8 points against teams that had earned 21 points out of 60 in their other games. This year we have 10 points against teams that have earned 26 points out of 60 in their other games. A clear, but not immense, improvement.

Of course, if I really wanted to go crazy and I had the statistical knowledge to do so, I could do a full fledged regression analysis that even considers the strength of the opposition of our team's opposition's opposition.

BTW, the average team has earned 1.32 points per game so, under my system, average opposition would have earned 26.4 points out of 60--so we have faced average opposition so far--not an especially easy schedule.

Comparing the same fixtures against the same opponents makes no sense because they are different teams this year. Comparing the first five games against the first five games makes no sense because they are different teams this year. I, of course, have the correct comparison to make.

Last year we had 8 points against teams that had earned 21 points out of 60 in their other games. This year we have 10 points against teams that have earned 26 points out of 60 in their other games. A clear, but not immense, improvement.

Of course, if I really wanted to go crazy and I had the statistical knowledge to do so, I could do a full fledged regression analysis that even considers the strength of the opposition of our team's opposition's opposition.

BTW, the average team has earned 1.32 points per game so, under my system, average opposition would have earned 26.4 points out of 60--so we have faced average opposition so far--not an especially easy schedule.

Thanks for clearing that up Redslo;)

http://www.squawka.com/news/emerging-from-the-exodus-why-koemans-southampton-could-eclipse-the-class-of-201314/182022

Spot the factual errors :lol:

I particularly like how he described Lallana and Schneiderlin as exciting new players.

I assume the author is not a native English speaker, the report is appallingly badly written, much of it looks like the output of a Google translated page. Maybe a trainee Martin Samuels.

I assume the author is not a native English speaker, the report is appallingly badly written, much of it looks like the output of a Google translated page. Maybe a trainee Martin Samuels.

Problem with the internet is that it is now littered with students writing their boring blogs or badly written "news" articles. They're boring, no idea who reads them, or who has time to read them. Maybe other students.

No matter how long it lasts, enjoying the pressure on rogers.

There was so much over the summer in how rogers was/is some sort of genius man manager and what a master stroke it was getting balotelli. Rogers was going to unlock his world class talent.

Roger was definitely not doing a Spurs this summer, he was far more intelligent than that.....

Oh dear Brent-on. Let's see how much of a genius you are now without Suarez

Another one was the Van Gaal VVank fest all summer and his mythical 352 formation. It's failing. And failing spectacularly. He seems too stubborn to change it. Long may that continue

Edited by Batman