Harrison Reed signs new four-year deal with Saints

Saint-Armstrong

Thats nonsense, it puts the club in a stronger negotiating position to get a bigger fee if a club bids for him. If someone bid for Shaw, Lallana or Chambers with only a year left on their contracts we wouldn't be getting the fees we've got for them.

Who gives a ****, it's not like they bring the money out at half time and we have a free for all in the centre circle.

the club is expressing four years of loyalty to the player. we don't get to renege on that.

tommy forecast, billy sharp, and ryan dickson's promotion bonuses demonstrate that.

No one bidding for them. Point is that we've shown tieing a young prospect down to a long-term contract means little apart from securing a bigger fee. The lack of guts shown by the board this summer shows that the dream of using the academy to produce a mostly home - grown first XI is dead. The academy is about producing saleable assets for the board not footballers for Southampton FC.

No one bidding for them. Point is that we've shown tieing a young prospect down to a long-term contract means little apart from securing a bigger fee. The lack of guts shown by the board this summer shows that the dream of using the academy to produce a mostly home - grown first XI is dead. The academy is about producing saleable assets for the board not footballers for Southampton FC.

There were people biding for dickson and sharp. there just wasn't anyoen willing to match their wages so we were stuck with them. That's commitment. Unfortunately it's more difficult to make a long term overinflated contract unpalatble to a player than it is for a player to make themselves a nuisance and more trouble than they are worth to keep.

Get used to that. it's not just Southampton.

On the bright side, if we don't bring in any more players we could well be fielding a mostly home grown XI. That wasn't the stated intention though, was it? 50% was the aim IIRC. I don't know how we intend to manage half a home grown player.

Our best chance of being competitive and having 5 home grown players in the match day squad is for those players to be average. We need to sell the exceptional ones for big money, bring in foreigners of an immediately high standard and keep the average ones to bulk out the squad.

• 1 year later...

Anyone find it slightly baffling that Reed hasn't gone out on loan?

He is clearly too good for U21 football and equally clearly isn't a key first team player.

Halfway through his 4 year deal, I would be more than a little frustrated if I was him.

Hard to see him getting lots of games next year either, regardless of Wanyama staying or going.

Tough situation because he is clearly promising.

He is clearly too good for U21 football and equally clearly isn't a key first team player.

Halfway through his 4 year deal, I would be more than a little frustrated if I was him.

Hard to see him getting lots of games next year either, regardless of Wanyama staying or going.

With Romeu picking up another booking, its likely he will be needed before Vic is back from his 5 match ban

It is a difficult call that one. If the ref. thought Romeu deserved a yellow yesterday?, he should have been consistant to have given it to Swansea players..also.

If Romeu had picked up a second ......or been injured ....we d have a real problem with Victor being out for another month, and Gardos not fit yet. Reed isn't the ideal replacement.

Reed definitely deserves more / a better class of football, as he s above the general U21 standard.maybe the situation will resolve itself before the loan deadline comes.