Sky Sources: New 5 Year Contract offered to Jay Rodriguez

Colinjb

Thought you reckoned no-one would bid for an injured player. Which is it?

I am mainly concerned about the cork situation. Utterly bizarre he hasn't got a contract. Clearly he wants one and his dad knows whether he's been offered one. Been brilliant for us, clearly a good premier league midfielder, only getting better, yet we're prepared to lose him cheap or free? Why? What is going on behind the scenes with this? Does someone at the club not like him?

I dont think they have thinking about it. but as we have seen with lallana. The process of turning a player starts some time before their transfer

another club butters him up ready for a lallana style sale in january

probably not, just saying

I reckon Koeman just wants to make his own assessment first before saddling himself with a player he may not want. If Jack impresses, & I think he will, he will get a new deal. Jay Rod is a different case, having had more spotlight with an England call up. Clearly Koeman will want to retain a future England squad regular.

Clever by the club. They can be seen to be proactive with regards to Jay and show he's important, if he wants to leave and doesn't sign then the onus is on him abandoning the club as they rehabilitate him back to full health.

Pushing Jay into a corner really, be interesting to see what he does.

You must live a very complicated life. Relax it is very much simpler than that. Most times what you see is what you get.

Thought you reckoned no-one would bid for an injured player. Which is it?

I am mainly concerned about the cork situation. Utterly bizarre he hasn't got a contract. Clearly he wants one and his dad knows whether he's been offered one. Been brilliant for us, clearly a good premier league midfielder, only getting better, yet we're prepared to lose him cheap or free? Why? What is going on behind the scenes with this? Does someone at the club not like him?

Of course he will get a new contract, the people upstairs are not as daft as you seem to think. They are too busy fixing leaks at the moment to worry about a new paint scheme for the deck chairs. Jack would play for fun and he's in the PL... what's not to like? He ain't going nowhere.

Fonte and Cork deserve 2 year contracts each. To have 2 great committed proven pros "on trial" as such is ridiculous.

I like Cork but, if Ron wants to push on, realistically neither are good enough. Cork won't start ahead of Vic, in which case he's blocking either JWP or Harry Reed on the bench.

I like Cork but, if Ron wants to push on, realistically neither are good enough. Cork won't start ahead of Vic, in which case he's blocking either JWP or Harry Reed on the bench.

You need a squad, and you will not find a better squad experienced CM anywhere. He's a terrific squad player and it would be ludicrous to get rid of him, utterly moronic.

We have to have some sort of continuity in the next season.

Letting two, fit committed good players go would be madness

I think cork was unlucky not to get picked for an England friendly. He is a good age so could not give a rats arse if he blocks someone into the first team

I love the way you suggest Ron may want to push on and reed in the same sentence

Edited by Batman

You need a squad, and you will not find a better squad experienced CM anywhere. He's a terrific squad player and it would be ludicrous to get rid of him, utterly moronic.

This. Our squad is thin, these lads are proven and committed.

I'd rather see us offering Jack a three to four year deal rather than the minimal two which has been mooted by Monk. Jack's easily a starter for nigh on three quartets of the teams in the division (it just so happens that we have two other holding midfielders whose strengths outweigh his own).

I am relaxed thanks. But life isn't as simplified as you think, unless you are a simpleton.

If you work hard enough, stick at it, are quite clever, use your luck wisely and actually try to do it; a simple and simplified life can be achieved.

This has been a motivational message brought to you by Polaroid Saint in conjunction with several pints of Old Speckled Hen.

Clever by the club. They can be seen to be proactive with regards to Jay and show he's important, if he wants to leave and doesn't sign then the onus is on him abandoning the club as they rehabilitate him back to full health.

Pushing Jay into a corner really, be interesting to see what he does.

Agreed. Hope he signs the new contract that has been offered.

I think a 5 year offer when the bloke has suffered an injury like he did is utter madness imo. Its obviously been driven by what's gone on this summer, but I expect the board to act like hard headed businessmen not fans. You can throw % of recovery and other stats about, but the simple fact is some players are never the same after this type of injury. For me the jury was still out on jrod even without the injury. He had a fantastic season, but he benefitted from being in a stable environment and playing a system that suited him with players flying confidence wise. His England debut he was like a little boy lost and he's looked lost when playing down the middle. His composure in front of goal could be lacking and his technical level was not quite as good as Adam or Rickie. Would he kick on and perform at that level season in season out, or was he in the middle of a purple patch. There's no doubt that he did enough for a new contract before the injury, but even then I would be cautious of a 5 year, maybe 3 is more realistic. So to offer 5 when injured like he was is madness, if he's lost a bit of sharpness he won't be as effective .

I like the guy and his attitude, but 5 years , not for me. I would offer him a 1 year extension and then look to extend again once it becomes apparent he's lost none of his speed or sharpness. I understand this could result in losing money on him, but there is a chance we're stuck with a dud for 5 years on good money. Some players can get away with losing that extra yard of pace, I dont think he can.

I think a 5 year offer when the bloke has suffered an injury like he did is utter madness imo. Its obviously been driven by what's gone on this summer, but I expect the board to act like hard headed businessmen not fans. You can throw % of recovery and other stats about, but the simple fact is some players are never the same after this type of injury. For me the jury was still out on jrod even without the injury. He had a fantastic season, but he benefitted from being in a stable environment and playing a system that suited him with players flying confidence wise. His England debut he was like a little boy lost and he's looked lost when playing down the middle. His composure in front of goal could be lacking and his technical level was not quite as good as Adam or Rickie. Would he kick on and perform at that level season in season out, or was he in the middle of a purple patch. There's no doubt that he did enough for a new contract before the injury, but even then I would be cautious of a 5 year, maybe 3 is more realistic. So to offer 5 when injured like he was is madness, if he's lost a bit of sharpness he won't be as effective .

I like the guy and his attitude, but 5 years , not for me. I would offer him a 1 year extension and then look to extend again once it becomes apparent he's lost none of his speed or sharpness. I understand this could result in losing money on him, but there is a chance we're stuck with a dud for 5 years on good money. Some players can get away with losing that extra yard of pace, I dont think he can.

I totally agree and two names well known names (on here) instantly spring to mind.

Why is that people behind their keyboards think that the club have not considered all of this? Nuts

Lost my composure in front of the screen.

Whats a bigger risk:

Saints offering a player who is clearly well on the road to recovery a 5 year contract on double the money

Or

Liverpool/Spurs paying a £15m transfer fee and even higher wages to a player on the road to recovery from injury

If those clubs are willing to buy him they obvuously feel he will recover fully, so Saints who should have even greater knowledge from the medical staff, must be fairly confident of it.

Its a non issue, we need to tie him down, if only to prevent his transfer value from decreasing.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-tottenham-transfer-target-jay-3885483

As expected. If you were advising Jay, and assuming his injury is healing well, there is no need for him to tie himself down when Saints is a relatively unknown quantity.

Should have got this done in January as initially planned.

Interestingly Clyne is in the same position, two years to go. Would be amazed if he signed a new one as well.

If he doesnt sign then we will have to cash in next summer, thats what I think will happen. He might as well stay this season and focus on getting back fit knowing he will go straight into our team when he is able to. If he does well he will have lots of interest next summer when he has a year to run and Saints will sell rather than lose him for nothing.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-tottenham-transfer-target-jay-3885483

As expected. If you were advising Jay, and assuming his injury is healing well, there is no need for him to tie himself down when Saints is a relatively unknown quantity.

Should have got this done in January as initially planned.

Interestingly Clyne is in the same position, two years to go. Would be amazed if he signed a new one as well.

Any chance of changing the record mate?

You've become a right defeatist, miserable bugg3r

Yeah, was rumoured that our friend Nixon would pen an article tonight. he has close connections with his family up in Burnley so you'd imagine it's very close to the truth. The fact the news of us offering him a 5 year deal became so public was a sign of the club trying to put the ball in Jay's court, but seemingly he's not going to commit to anything right now.

I see Mr Nixon is at it again

The Sunday People Sport can reveal Rodriguez will sit it out and see who else leaves the club - and just how far Liverpool and Spurs go with their bids.

I could have sworn Jrod looked happy with RK an said he was looking forward to working with him and he certainly look very happy out in Belgium and not at all disgruntled

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-tottenham-transfer-target-jay-3885483#ixzz37xIIFMay

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

I must say though, all of this crap from a certain NC saying that 'the club is built on solid foundations so that it will prosper even without me' 'If the family do not support the plans, I have investors lined up', seems to be a load of waffle. If the players dreams are dashed by a chairman leaving, then his tenure was built on nothing but quicksand.

he will absolutely sign the new contract for more money, why would he not? he could double his money right now and stll leave at the end of the season if a big offer comes in. when has a contract ever stopped a player from a small club move to a bigger club when abig bid comes in? certainlly not at saints.

the club offering a larger contract are doing so to protect against selling for a reduced fee. jay rod with a 5 year contract is worth 20+ but with 12 months we get maybe 10-12

I must say though, all of this crap from a certain NC saying that 'the club is built on solid foundations so that it will prosper even without me' 'If the family do not support the plans, I have investors lined up', seems to be a load of waffle. If the players dreams are dashed by a chairman leaving, then his tenure was built on nothing but quicksand.

Indeed. There was someone making promises based on spending money that wasn't available (or wasn't being made available in any case). To sone degree I can understand the players. If someone employed me and made promises that were built on fantasy I would be a bit peeved tbh.

Maybe its true? Afterall, he hasn't signed it has he?

It's not true, no club would buy a player for £15m+ that has been out for 7-9 months with a serious injury, it is complete and utter bo!!ocks. Same guy that wrote that article said he was going to Everton before he signed for us in 2013, and that Wanyama would never come to Southampton.

Open your eyes. Question Everything. Everyone has an agenda.

Combination of NC leaving and subsequent actions of the board?

This is one of the critical bits that all those who swallowed Cortese's myth chose to completely overlook. Despite the 'big talk', he could not deliver.

But as the dream is in ruin, its easier to blame KL who was forced to take the club back in hand.

Combination of NC leaving and subsequent actions of the board?

NC is to blame for this mass unrest as much as anyone else. Selling people pipe dreams and promises, which were all based on spending someone elses money. He ran as soon as he had a sniff that the family wouldn't sanction his false promises.

NC is to blame for this mass unrest as much as anyone else. Selling people pipe dreams and promises, which were all based on spending someone elses money. He ran as soon as he had a sniff that the family wouldn't sanction his false promises.

What were the false promises? The last interview I remember, Cortese acknowledged that Southampton couldn't spend their way to the next level and had to gain advantages wherever we can.

What were the false promises? The last interview I remember, Cortese acknowledged that Southampton couldn't spend their way to the next level and had to gain advantages wherever we can.

Telling the players we could aim for the champions league, I expect.

What does that even mean.. gain advantages where we can? Put itching powder in the opposition shorts, get fit female fans to get their baps out to distract opponents?

What does that even mean.. gain advantages where we can? Put itching powder in the opposition shorts, get fit female fans to get their baps out to distract opponents?

I don't know, the general point is he was openly setting expectations that we wouldn't be doing a City or Chelsea so I'm asking what the false promises where?