Lovren joins Liverpool - Official

toe_punt

Pretty much sums it up nicely. Don't know if the Lovren strike story is true or not, but the Ashton story that broke the news about his transfer request did talk of an email where he listed his complaints with the club. Therefore the Spurs fans post does read as plausible. I really hope that if Lovren goes, we don't sell to them.

KL and the board may well have vision for where they want to take the club - and I'm confident Les Reed's ambitions for the club have remained the same - but the problem is that the PR coming out of the club has been so negative and defensive from almost day one (stress on no player sales, 'difficult' financial situation, only a recent admission from Ralph that 'we have our wish players too' as though it were an afterthought) that the perception of the club, for players and fans, has shifted beyond all recognition over last six months.

Things have improved since Reed has been worked into a more prominent role, and I am genuinely excited about the appointment of Koeman, but in some sense, the damage has been done and there is little that can be done to stop the press chuckling about Southampton's 'amazing summer sale'. Speculation isn't immaterial and newspaper reports driving talks of meltdown have brought down far bigger financial institutions than our football club (so thank f*ck we are privately owned and not publicly listed!) While good things may be happening in the background at the club it would be naive to not see press reports as affecting the intentions and thoughts of players currently at the club.

Last night the perenially woeful, Andy Townsend, laughed about us on ITV during the most prominent football competition in the world about 'whether [we] will have any players left'. Whatever your thoughts on the new board, it is hard to argue they have managed perception of the club well, and also hard to imagine a similar comment being made while Cortese was at the helm.

We desperately need some more good news next week to start to turn the tide, and hopefully we reinvest all of this money wisely.

Townsend seems to have an issue with us? I wonder if it is because he never really made it here and it was only when he left for Villa that his career took off?

Townsend seems to have an issue with us? I wonder if it is because he never really made it here and it was only when he left for Villa that his career took off?

He has always had an issue with us, seems to almost be in denial that he played for us. Something happened between him and Chris Nicholl I suspect, it was quite a shock when we shipped him out to Villa. Lawrie mac had brought him in as a young player and apart from injury he was a regular in the side. I've always disliked him since he has been on ITV simply because of his anti Saints agenda, and of course because he is one of the worst informed TV pundits around.

I was told that he was told he would he would always be 2nd choice behind Jimmy Case & he would only play as a full back or cover for JC.

He couldn't take it so left.

Truth is, he simply wasn't fit to lace JC's boots!

It's somehow a little strange that whenever Cortese mentioned that his intention for us was CL football, the experts on here pooh-poohed the idea as delusional. We couldn't possibly ever end the season ahead of Man City, Chelski, the Arse, Liverpool, Man Utd, let alone Everton or Spurs. And yet we are asked to believe that professional footballers who would know these things better than the average forum armchair fan somehow believed Cortese's dream, such was the power of his magnetic Svengali personality. Not only the players who had been with the club for several years, but also those who had played in the higher echelons of European football also apparently believed it.

Now all of a sudden, with Cortese's departure and also that of his managerial disciple Pochettino, the scales are fallen from their eyes. Seemingly it was only possible with Cortese here and despite no change in the club's ownership, we no longer have the same ambitions. Well, it appears to me that there has been indecent haste by players wanting out all of a sudden, so that either they haven't had the decency to find out how the club intends to proceed, or the club have not communicated their plans well enough to them. We have amassed substantial funds from the sale of Shaw and Lallana and the players must know that Lambert's departure was not in the same vein. But as a statement of intent, Ronald Koeman's appointment as manager really could not have been bettered for a club of our size. Surely the calibre of player being sought as replacements for Lallana and Shaw will say much more than hollow words ever could.

Whereas it is often better to release players who don't want to be here and replace them with those that do, if the next batch suggested like Lovren and Schneiderlin wish to leave, the formula should be the same. None of this £10/£15 million mullarky, we want £25/£30 million for them, or bugger off. Otherwise I would applaud a statement to the effect that we are drawing a line in the sand and they just aren't for sale at any price. It would surely be sensible in any case to see which players we could get in to replace them first before letting them go and if they are impressed with the calibre of player bought in to replace Shaw, Lallana, then they might realise that they wish to stay here after all, or wait until January to see how we fare under Koeman.

It's somehow a little strange that whenever Cortese mentioned that his intention for us was CL football, the experts on here pooh-poohed the idea as delusional. We couldn't possibly ever end the season ahead of Man City, Chelski, the Arse, Liverpool, Man Utd, let alone Everton or Spurs. And yet we are asked to believe that professional footballers who would know these things better than the average forum armchair fan somehow believed Cortese's dream, such was the power of his magnetic Svengali personality. Not only the players who had been with the club for several years, but also those who had played in the higher echelons of European football also apparently believed it.

Now all of a sudden, with Cortese's departure and also that of his managerial disciple Pochettino, the scales are fallen from their eyes. Seemingly it was only possible with Cortese here and despite no change in the club's ownership, we no longer have the same ambitions. Well, it appears to me that there has been indecent haste by players wanting out all of a sudden, so that either they haven't had the decency to find out how the club intends to proceed, or the club have not communicated their plans well enough to them. We have amassed substantial funds from the sale of Shaw and Lallana and the players must know that Lambert's departure was not in the same vein. But as a statement of intent, Ronald Koeman's appointment as manager really could not have been bettered for a club of our size. Surely the calibre of player being sought as replacements for Lallana and Shaw will say much more than hollow words ever could.

Whereas it is often better to release players who don't want to be here and replace them with those that do, if the next batch suggested like Lovren and Schneiderlin wish to leave, the formula should be the same. None of this £10/£15 million mullarky, we want £25/£30 million for them, or bugger off. Otherwise I would applaud a statement to the effect that we are drawing a line in the sand and they just aren't for sale at any price. It would surely be sensible in any case to see which players we could get in to replace them first before letting them go and if they are impressed with the calibre of player bought in to replace Shaw, Lallana, then they might realise that they wish to stay here after all, or wait until January to see how we fare under Koeman.

Agree

ok...FF: you seem to have reverted to type. From a few weeks ago saying you felt more confident with the current Board than when NC was the sole decision maker on everything and now you seemt obahve turned full circle.

For all those saying the dream died with NC: exactly what dream was that? DO you really think that Lallana and co did not have their heads turned when they made the England squad? Do you really think that Saints could offer 100K+ per week salaries (which they are now getting).

We have to get real........we are what we are and despite it being disappointing that the successful team from last season is breaking up I am also equally excited to see what Koeman pulls together to "start the new project".

Just to repeat, we had no squad depth last year and without building a stringer squad (not players but squad) it would have been difficult to repeat the success of last seaosn. And lets face it we only played one way and this time round you can bet most teams will have a plan for dealing with the way we played

SPOT ON! Whatever the players want we should say 'No More Sales'. RK should get a good squad together and leave the dissenters out until they realise they are not doing their careers any good.

Sorry to interrupt the I'm the most realistic fan competition, but WHO HAS SAID LOVREN IS GOING ON STRIKE?

Somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody who has a mate that posts on a Spurs forum.

You can't get more ITK than that can you?

ok...FF: you seem to have reverted to type. From a few weeks ago saying you felt more confident with the current Board than when NC was the sole decision maker on everything and now you seemt obahve turned full circle.

For all those saying the dream died with NC: exactly what dream was that? DO you really think that Lallana and co did not have their heads turned when they made the England squad? Do you really think that Saints could offer 100K+ per week salaries (which they are now getting).

We have to get real........we are what we are and despite it being disappointing that the successful team from last season is breaking up I am also equally excited to see what Koeman pulls together to "start the new project".

Just to repeat, we had no squad depth last year and without building a stringer squad (not players but squad) it would have been difficult to repeat the success of last seaosn. And lets face it we only played one way and this time round you can bet most teams will have a plan for dealing with the way we played

Wash saint I think those are pretty fair points. The problem being that we are having a piecemeal team to start the season. We start preseason tomorrow and there is not a new player through the door but 3-5 who may not be there. I can imagine the morale being at a low ebb and it will hard to raise that quickly.

I do agree that our system has now been seen and teams will be ready, but that is easier said than done. I would be happy to have the 3 gone and leave it there and build around. MS Wanyama and. Lovren. It would give us a great foundation, those gone as well and you may as well get your timetable for trips to the Championship

The impression I had was that he stopped performing for us because he wanted to leave: not so much a strike as a go slow or work to rule. Difficult to prove in football...

He signed a contract and he is well paid. He should shut up and play up, whether the rumour is true or not.

This

Make the pr!ck train with the U21 once his international appearances start drying up he will soon change his mind, same goes for Spider-Man. They are Southampton FC players not NC or MoPo players.

I haven't really seen or heard anything to indicate he has an issue with saints. His comment last night was a throw away that anyone would have said under the circumstances - a poor/obvious attempt at humour.

What like the 40 million for Shaw you mean, at the end of the day we'll take anyone's final offer.

Can you show me something that proves the club wanted £40m for Shaw?

In any case the club confirmed that the fee received was a world record fee for a teenager! Does that not count as a massive bid to you?

You are being ridiculously negative and irrational in your thought process.

In any case the club confirmed that the fee received was a world record fee for a teenager! Does that not count as a massive bid to you?

this

It's a free world, I have no particular confidence in those running the club just now and that affects my posting. I have seen plenty of no one is for sale and then there are sales. To me it's just all esbroufe and nothing that happens in the near future will surprise me. I just expect more of the same from the club, all smoke and mirrors.

It's a free world, I have no particular confidence in those running the club just now and that affects my posting. I have seen plenty of no one is for sale and then there are sales. To me it's just all esbroufe and nothing that happens in the near future will surprise me. I just expect more of the same from the club, all smoke and mirrors.

I asked two questions, you answered neither. Is that because you know the answers make you wrong?

Perhaps if you had a more rational thought process you would have more confidence in the club you support and those running it. You've yet to justify the reasons why you don't have confidence in them. Failure to do so suggests that you can't and your position is flimsy to say the least!

Edited by Matthew Le God

I asked two questions, you answered neither. Is that because you know the answers make you wrong?

I just can't be bothered with pedants such as yourself. When the club tells me exactly how much we obtained from the Shaw deal and the exact conditions of payment then I can answer your question. I don't know the amount of every transfer of every teenager in world football, neither do you so just leave it out. Rooney was sold when a teenager for a figure reported to be in the region of 30 million £ many years ago, until someone shows me the exact figures for the 2 transfers then I'm in no position to judge. Neither is anyone else.

I dont recall them saying that no one would be sold. Just that it had to be right for the club. If they are now saying that Lovren will not be sold (unless we get a massive amount of cash and lets face it, everyone is for sale at the right price) there is no reason to believe it is "smoke and mirrors."

I assume you are still in mourning over the departure of Cortese (his choice)? If you have no faith in the new board, what do you think about the myth he put about that he used to tear up offers for players in front of them and put them in the bin. It later transpired (from him) that other Chairmen respected him so much they never made written offers for our players. There was the occasional phone enquiry but that was it. Bit hard to rip up a phone enquiry in fron of a player for effect isnt it?

Why not give the new lot a chance? There are still players to come in and we could end up with a stronger squad. You are just making pointless assumptions to fit your agenda at the moment and are in danger of becoming another Alpine :scared:

I just can't be bothered with pedants such as yourself. When the club tells me exactly how much we obtained from the Shaw deal and the exact conditions of payment then I can answer your question. I don't know the amount of every transfer of every teenager in world football, neither do you so just leave it out. Rooney was sold when a teenager for a figure reported to be in the region of 30 million £ many years ago, until someone shows me the exact figures for the 2 transfers then I'm in no position to judge. Neither is anyone else.

In the time you took to write that last post you could have quite easily answered my original two questions. Why are you avoiding them?

We hit a glass ceiling last year, we know that, the players know that, their agents know that & the top 5-6 clubs know that.

The point being that players deciding it couldn't be improved upon made it a self-fulfilling prophesy. HAD they all stayed and HAD we added some strength in depth to the already sound foundations so that we weren't left playing the likes of Hooiveld, Yoshida or becoming reliant on Gallagher by season's end, they'd be in a perfectly good position to improve on last season's excellent start and challenge the top sides. Most of the reason we didn't win more matches last season was because we had a weakened side in the matches we lost.

With the best players being picked off, we now have to buy a load of players and integrate them in a short timeframe just to stand still.

It all comes down to whether the players thought they could get CL football and CL players' wages at Saints or not, the answer seems to have been a resounding "no". Whether that's down to Cortese overpromising or Katharina deciding it wasn't a viable option or a combination of both doesn't really matter.

The ironic thing is (and I'm not suggesting we will), if we actually go out and spend a shedload on 10 new superstar players, people will just wonder why we couldn't keep the ones we already had.

Edited by The9

The ironic thing is (and I'm not suggesting we will), if we actually go out and spend a shedload on 10 new superstar players, people will just wonder why we couldn't keep the ones we already had.

Most people want their careers to move on and earn more money. In the PL the top 4 pay more than Saints but Saints pay more than Eredivisie clubs like Feyenoord or FC Twente. No doubt if Dudic and Ings sign and do well they'll be angling for a move in 18 months. If they fail they'll be happy to sit on their fat contracts.

Perhaps if you had a more rational thought process you would have more confidence in the club you support and those running it. You've yet to justify the reasons why you don't have confidence in them. Failure to do so suggests that you can't and your position is flimsy to say the least!

But doesn't the very notion of being a 'fan' (with its etymological roots in the pathologised term 'fanatic') presuppose an irrational thought process, or at least one that is clouded by allegiance/devotion to something or someone? Better to admit that your opinions are skewed by skepticism towards the new board, than cling to a Cartesian ideal where we judge our team on some neutral plain of rational objectivity. We are all fans, no matter whether your opinion is positive or negative. :p

Rooney £25.6m to Man U from Everton, reportedly. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-ten-most-expensive-english-transfers-2056910.html?action=gallery&ino=2 It has no bearing on the original point MLG was making though.

In real terms the Rooney fee is worth a little more than Shaw's. Adjusted for inflation it was £32.7m, compared to £31m for Shaw including add-ons.

To be fair, this all adds up. It must strike everyone a bit bizarre that all of a sudden all our players want to leave. I think they all bought into the NC plan but when he "departed" they all realised it was not going to happen.

Alpine says it all started going wrong when ML died but I disagree, his passing gave NC a free hand and unchecked his ambitions widened. The only problem was the cash wasn't his and the dream he sold to the players was never authorised by Katharina Liebherr.

I also think there has been an element of poisoning direct to players over the new regime, as its evident many of the want away players had decided long before the end of last season they were moving on. The other major factor is that the agents will have seen this as their prime opportunity to get the clients moving on and earn a big fat commission.

I also think there has been an element of poisoning direct to players over the new regime, as its evident many of the want away players had decided long before the end of last season they were moving on. The other major factor is that the agents will have seen this as their prime opportunity to get the clients moving on and earn a big fat commission.

I wonder how many of these were in the clique??

Saints have to stand firm on this, they are being made to look like complete amateurs at the moment. If lovren wants to strike and throw his career away then let him get on with it, he'll be breaching his contract so I'm sure they can sort some way of at least paying him less if anything at all, if the players wanna play hardball the club have to start joining in otherwise this is gonna happen every summer!