Feeling optimistic about coming season....

washsaint

He's still got Koeman to come up with though and there should be a couple more signings for alps to get his head around.

Best start thinking of some nicknames for Ings, Marshall etc. just in case.

A simple move of one letter from Marshall to Ings will give Mings and Arshall. I really hope we sign them both now.

A simple move of one letter from Marshall to Ings will give Mings and Arshall. I really hope we sign them both now.

Not bad, although I doubt alpine had the brain power to come up with that. I'd expect him to come up with something like 'Marsh*t'.

Noclueman is a good shout too.

Delighted you agree with me now that our last five years were not our best ever. Must have been your son online that day.

And delighted you are now supporting the "Billy Davies standard manager" you said we were going to appoint - or did your son type that one too?

And any views on the "Rudi Skacel level" signings we've made? Or are you pretending you didn't say that either?

I think I speak for the whole forum when I say we are all thoroughly looking forward to the hate filled spiteful little nicknames you come up with for our manager and new signings come the end of August. Get your thinking cap on.

Another over the top and personal attack by CB FRY. Really worried about this poster.

CB Fry certainly speaks for me.

Making the same face as your avatar as does so.

Did you think Tony Pulis era Stoke were the model to follow in the dark days of the Adkins transition?

What about our transfers? Have half of them been failures like he reckons?

Lordy whelk, if you're going to have someone's hand up your arse, at least team up with Matthew Corbett and make some fúcking dough out of it.

Really very impressed with pelle interview (and Tadic) and both look like strong additions. If we can keep MS and bring in a GK, LB, CB and another striker I think we will be looking very strong for the new season and, arguably, stronger than when we started last season.

Add in a sprinkle of youngsters to make their mark this season - Reed, McQueen and others? - and it could be a good ride.

Tadic and Pelle for less than the Lallana fee without even touching the Shaw fee yet!

RK seems like a very big step up on MP: seems very forthright, honest and committed. Looks like he won't stand for any nonsense and his 'name' has already got us Tadic and Pelle: how sweet if we could get Blind too? Really looking forward to kick off of the new season now!

.........and he's not afraid to speak English either....:D.

I don't reckon it can be far off can it pap? I mean since we've been in prem anway, signing players to do a job in the championship or league 1 i reckon is prob a lot easier!

Gd signings:

Lovren

Wanyama

Clyne

S.davis

Rodriguez

Boruc

Dumb signings:

Osvaldo

Ramirez

Forren

G-Nigga

Mayuka

Yoshida

Edited by Bearsy
Keep forgetting bros!

I don't reckon it can be far off can it pap? I mean since we've been in prem anway, signing players to do a job in the championship or league 1 i reckon is prob a lot easier!

Gd signings:

Lovren

Wanyama

Clyne

S.davis

Rodriguez

Boruc

Dumb signings:

Osvaldo

Ramirez

Forren

G-Nigga

Mayuka

Yoshida

Don't really see it the same way. Forren has to be the dumbest signing of all, given that we lost money and got no use out of him. Ramirez is debatable, and indeed is being debated on the Ramirez thread. Yoshida was a good signing at the time when you consider the free-scorin' alternative in Hooiveld (shudder), but has been rightly pushed out of the team by Lovren and I take onboard that we might have been able to land better quality at the time.

Gazzaniga is awful and gives me zero confidence of a win. Mayuka has never really been given a run in the squad. Osvaldo is actually a good player technically, but was no good for the team.

As for the idea that it's easy to build a league one or championship winning side, I'd have to respectfully disagree, as would all the fans of the sleeping giants that have been trying for decades. Look at the debacle at Leicester when Sven was their white knight.

My criteria for dumb signing is if I could go back in time would I rather keep my money in my pocket? Yoshida is debatable I reckon, he didn't cost a lot and has been kind of useful sometimes.

I didn't say it was easy to get promotion! I just think that there is lots more players who can play that level to choose from, especially if you have one of the biggest budgets

Did you think Tony Pulis era Stoke were the model to follow in the dark days of the Adkins transition?

Lordy whelk, if you're going to have someone's hand up your arse, at least team up with Matthew Corbett and make some fúcking dough out of it.

Obviously haven't read all his posts and tend to dip in and out but normally he is taking on the bed wetters. And no one does ascerbic put downs like Fry.

Give me him over the neurotic pathetic feeble whingers such as Alpine any day. TBH I don't know most posters views as have low retention of such things. I wish I could remember but cant

Not said either of those things or anything remotely like it. Not even a wisp of anything like that.

It's laser sharp interpretation skills like that that leads you to accuse the poor mare who tried to help Lee Rigby of being a paid up crisis actor.

You can try and up the stalking on me if you like, and continue to flailingly fail to ever land on one me, but none of that is ever going to stop you being a 100% conspiro-autistic f uck wit.

Obviously haven't read all his posts and tend to dip in and out but normally he is taking on the bed wetters. And no one does ascerbic put downs like Fry.

Give me him over the neurotic pathetic feeble whingers such as Alpine any day. TBH I don't know most posters views as have low retention of such things. I wish I could remember but cant

If watching a middle aged bloke derive self-worth from being an unholy bastard to other people is your thing, fair play to you.

Your validation of this playground behaviour is probably a blessing in disguise, but it's not something I agree with.

I'm always optimistic at the start of every season. It usually evaporates pretty darn quick when the season starts and reality sets in.

If the exits have ended though, it won't have been so bad after all, and I can merrily dream away until the third or fourth game of the season yet again, maybe. ;)

Not said either of those things or anything remotely like it. Not even a wisp of anything like that.

It's laser sharp interpretation skills like that that leads you to accuse the poor mare who tried to help Lee Rigby of being a paid up crisis actor.

You can try and up the stalking on me if you like, and continue to flailingly fail to ever land on one me, but none of that is ever going to stop you being a 100% conspiro-autistic f uck wit.

So one-note, it could be played on a triangle.

When is your next batch of insults coming in, sir? It's just that you've been using the same ones for like, forever - and what with others noticing that you're just a demonic imp punch drunk on whelk's praise, you're starting to look a little one-dimensional.

That'll conflict with your status of self-appointed expert on everything, punisher of the stupid and performing puppy for the four or five people you say you jump for. Do they like your work?

Edited by pap

We're replacing like for like pretty well but I don't think we can underestimate the close bond and drive for European places which will be the hardest part to replace IMO.

I honestly think the close bond was a myth brought forward from the Adkins days when it maybe did exist.

It's just an opinion based on gut feeling. I don't need to produce evidence for an opinion do I? That is why I started my post with the words "I think" ;)

Not at all, just usually you notice certain things to help form an opinion or gut feeling :)

Not at all, just usually you notice certain things to help form an opinion or gut feeling :)

Really? I'm honoured!! LOL really though, there just seemed a difference in what the players would say on the OS after Poch arrived. It usually seemed more scripted as if written by NC than when Adkins was the manager. Nothing specific except that in Adkins era, I seem to remember that they used to speak about the merits of other players more rather than just about themselves.

Edited by Ohio Saint

I will be surprised if we finish in the top 10, put it that way.

Who do you think will finish above us out of the newly promoted teams and the teams that finished below us last season then? I was looking at where we might finish just the other day and I couldn't see any of those teams finishing higher than us to be honest.

The team that finished 11th last season (Palace) finished 11 points behind us. Are you seriously suggesting that Palace have a good enough squad to claw back those 11 points and that Stoke and Newcastle have good enough squads to overhaul us too? I think it highly unlikely even if we don't sign anyone else.

Who do you think will finish above us out of the newly promoted teams and the teams that finished below us last season then? I was looking at where we might finish just the other day and I couldn't see any of those teams finishing higher than us to be honest.

The team that finished 11th last season (Palace) finished 11 points behind us. Are you seriously suggesting that Palace have a good enough squad to claw back those 11 points and that Stoke and Newcastle have good enough squads to overhaul us too? I think it highly unlikely even if we don't sign anyone else.

no other teams will have so many unkowns in their side

Well that doesn't answer the question!

If those teams don't have any 'unknowns' in their teams, it means they haven't strengthened at all in which case I'd be even more optimistic.

Well that doesn't answer the question!

If those teams don't have any 'unknowns' in their teams, it means they haven't strengthened at all in which case I'd be even more optimistic.

nearly all of them will strengthen...like us

koeman might turn out to be a complete muppet for all we know, yet

pelle mught be another ossie

they might be brilliant but to suggest losing lallana, lambert and shaw, with more to follow we immidiately are stronger than the squads the finished a few places below us, is quite premature, IMO

nearly all of them will strengthen...like us

koeman might turn out to be a complete muppet for all we know, yet

pelle mught be another ossie

they might be brilliant but to suggest losing lallana, lambert and shaw, with more to follow we immidiately are stronger than the squads the finished a few places below us, is quite premature, IMO

If those other teams 'strengthen', then they too by definition have the 'unknowns' that might turn out to be crap. Therefore, if they don't strengthen I think it unlikely that they'll catch us and if they do strengthen then they have the same risks which we do and unless all their signings are brilliant and ours are crap then we have status quo.

Personally I can't see us finishing outside the top ten and probably we'll finish about 8th again given the teams that finished below us last year. IMO

When they finished 5th with 72 points, then plummeted to 6th with 69 points?

Okay.

yeah, that £100m was supposed to make sure they got CL football

hence why they sacked their manager

they failed and have to spend a fuk loads more to try again

The spurs references seem to be the latest mongboard simile of choice. Because spurs lost one of the greatest players in the world, spent £100m and didn't make the champions league, we are going to spend £60m on a load of sh*t and be lucky to stay up. Or something.

The spurs references seem to be the latest mongboard simile of choice. Because spurs lost one of the greatest players in the world, spent £100m and didn't make the champions league, we are going to spend £60m on a load of sh*t and be lucky to stay up. Or something.

its the default view that we have signed better players and they are going to be brilliant and we will challenge for top 6 because keoman was a brilliant defender

I think we will do well to make top half, myself

its the default view that we have signed better players and they are going to be brilliant and we will challenge for top 6 because keoman was a brilliant defender

That's what spurs thought.

If football was that predictable, it wouldn't be the exciting game that it is.

Seems to me that Liverpool are going to have at least as many unknowns as us, if not more. Or are the players that they have bought in from us not classified as unknowns, because you know them, so they don't count amongst the others that they will buy?

Seems to me that Liverpool are going to have at least as many unknowns as us, if not more. Or are the players that they have bought in from us not classified as unknowns, because you know them, so they don't count amongst the others that they will buy?

Seems to me that we are never going to be competing with Liverpool. So matters little.

Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea, even palace

I would suggest that Lallana and lambert are not unknowns to this league. 1 was in the team of the season ffs

No, the default view is that on paper these look like signings that appear to be as good as those who have left in their corresponding positions. The default view is that we will have to wait and see.

I realise that your position is that those players are irreplaceable, no team ever has lost as many star players and their star manager in one go, we are doomed to failure without them, we will do well to avoid relegation / make top half, etc, etc.

You make your prediction, so please kindly allow others to make their predictions too without sneering at them.

Seems to me that we are never going to be competing with Liverpool. So matters little.

Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea, even palace

I would suggest that Lallana and lambert are not unknowns to this league. 1 was in the team of the season ffs

Oh, so Liverpool can't be cited as an example of a team who will be introducing more new players than us into their team, because they're an exception and don't suit your argument, eh? :rolleyes: And if a player comes from another Premiership team, they are a dead cert to fit in right away, just like that ex-Liverpool player Torres did when he went to Chelsea. :rolleyes: Presumably a player in the team of the year will also play brilliantly wherever he goes and will not have any probelms settling in right away, either.

Right, so we are only allowed to use Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea or Palace in our arguments, is that it? Any more exceptions?

If football was that predictable, it wouldn't be the exciting game that it is.

I believe your comment was that we would be lucky to finish in the top ten. I asked who you thought would finish above us that didn't last year. I'm assuming by your sidestepping of the question that you realise your comment was somewhat misplaced.

Oh, so Liverpool can't be cited as an example of a team who will be introducing more new players than us into their team, because they're an exception and don't suit your argument, eh? :rolleyes: And if a player comes from another Premiership team, they are a dead cert to fit in right away, just like that ex-Liverpool player Torres did when he went to Chelsea. :rolleyes: Presumably a player in the team of the year will also play brilliantly wherever he goes and will not have any probelms settling in right away, either.

Right, so we are only allowed to use Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea or Palace in our arguments, is that it? Any more exceptions?

Jesus Christ

What will happen is that you will go on about our charge up to 6th and how man landed on the moon. When we have a transitional season and finish a few places lower than 8th, you will change your tune and say that we shouldn't have expected much due to all the changes.... Which is what I (and some others) are saying from the off

Jesus Christ

What will happen is that you will go on about our charge up to 6th and how man landed on the moon. When we have a transitional season and finish a few places lower than 8th, you will change your tune and say that we shouldn't have expected much due to all the changes.... Which is what I (and some others) are saying from the off

Typical response from somebody who has had their argument depth-charged; a bit of puerility. If I make any predictions, they are usually moderated with ifs and maybes, so I cover myself for eventualities that might occur to derail my prediction. You ought to try that yourself sometimes. It will make you look a more balanced poster.

Typical response from somebody who has had their argument depth-charged; a bit of puerility. If I make any predictions, they are usually moderated with ifs and maybes, so I cover myself for eventualities that might occur to derail my prediction. You ought to try that yourself sometimes. It will make you look a more balanced poster.

Something about man walking on the moon.

Did you moderate your emotions with ifs and maybes when you were ripping up your season ticket?