Southampton Football Club to announce permanent tribute to Markus Liebherr

JxgrSaint

I agree that the price was no doubt attractive but don't forget that the Liebherrs converted 30million of loans into equity (ie. Wrote them off). You don't do that if you're "just an investor".

As far as owners go, I would say he was just about perfect.

I agree that the price was no doubt attractive but don't forget that the Liebherrs converted 30million of loans into equity (ie. Wrote them off). You don't do that if you're "just an investor".

As far as owners go, I would say he was just about perfect.

To be fair, for a business, equity can be (and has no doubt proven to be in this case) much more expensive than debt. Converting loans to equity is far from writing off.

If the club were likely to increase in value, it makes financial sense for the creditor to convert loans to equity.

Obviously that means the Liebherrs felt the club would increase in value due to their continued support, but it was a decision made on hard financials, not emotional attachment.

Can't agree more about ML being the perfect owner though.

In response to the recently publicity given to the fan petition...

Chief Executive - Gareth Rogers:

"We are mindful of the growing feeling amongst the fan base with respect to the potential naming of a stand at St Mary’s Stadium in honour of Markus Liebherr, given his immense contribution to Southampton Football Club.

I have been discussing the idea of a permanent tribute with Katharina for several months, and every time we speak she always impresses on me how she is grateful and touched by the special relationship her father continues to hold with Southampton supporters.

Whilst Katharina does not wish to name a stand after Markus, she set out her thoughts to me at the end of last season on what she feels will best act as a fitting tribute.

The planning for this is already underway, and we look forward to announcing more details to our supporters within the forthcoming months."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11334063.display/

What'd we reckon would be suitable then?

I'd quite like to name the training centre after him personally... other ideas?

In response to the recently publicity given to the fan petition...

Chief Executive - Gareth Rogers:

"We are mindful of the growing feeling amongst the fan base with respect to the potential naming of a stand at St Mary’s Stadium in honour of Markus Liebherr, given his immense contribution to Southampton Football Club.

I have been discussing the idea of a permanent tribute with Katharina for several months, and every time we speak she always impresses on me how she is grateful and touched by the special relationship her father continues to hold with Southampton supporters.

Whilst Katharina does not wish to name a stand after Markus, she set out her thoughts to me at the end of last season on what she feels will best act as a fitting tribute.

The planning for this is already underway, and we look forward to announcing more details to our supporters within the forthcoming months."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11334063.display/

What'd we reckon would be suitable then?

I'd quite like to name the training centre after him personally... other ideas?

Maybe she doesn't think one stand is enough? Goodbye St Mary's.............................hello the Markus Liebherr Staduim.

The Markus Liebherr Academy.

A lasting legacy for future generations for the benefit of Southampton and it's Football Club.

Perfect. A tribute that suits Markus's vision and generosity without overreaching, as a stand or statue might do.

surely the academy should be named after the person who actually founded it and did more for it than anyone else, namely Mr Lowe

He will have the appropriate portion named after him.

The Rupert Lowe subs bench. For those who may squander potential.

If we must name anything in 'tribute' to 'Mr Lowe' what about those blokes that wear the day-glo bibs and try to ruin everyone's fun (by telling 'em sit down and stuff)?

Match Day Ruperts makes as much sense as Match Day Stewarts, after all.

Aha. still sent from my effing nexus 4, but I have found the setting now dammit.

If we must name anything in 'tribute' to 'Mr Lowe' what about those blokes that wear the day-glo bibs and try to ruin everyone's fun (by telling 'em sit down and stuff)?

Match Day Ruperts makes as much sense as Match Day Stewarts, after all.

Aha. still sent from my effing nexus 4, but I have found the setting now dammit.

I like the sound of "Match day Ruperts".