Gaston Ramirez

Wiggles31

Looked good just about whenever called upon last season, particularly just before injury.

I'll have to get some of your rose tinted glasses. he looked poor and ineffective to me. Endless turns and feints, usually followed by loss of possession.

Almost every tackle he made gave away free kicks. Wasted many deadball situations when other more able people [eg Rickie, JWP] were available.

Either injured or considered not good enough by manager to get much match time.

Oh did I mention how much he cost?

I'll have to get some of your rose tinted glasses. he looked poor and ineffective to me. Endless turns and feints, usually followed by loss of possession.

Almost every tackle he made gave away free kicks. Wasted many deadball situations when other more able people [eg Rickie, JWP] were available.

Definitely poor injury record.

Which game did he give possession away so much and gave away numerous free kicks?

What did he cost, £12m? That's about average for a good Premiership player these days. We are lucky to have him and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him next season. Osvaldo on the other hand...

Edit: bloody iPhone turned Osvaldo into 'is also' :(

Edited by Whitey Grandad

I don't believe anyone would be even talking about Ramirez if he'd been bought from a championship team for a few mill - I think his pricetag and alleged ability is clouding thoughts. I'm not going to hide behind the usual excuse, "the lad is clearly quality but just needs to adapt" - I'm saying he is actually pretty poor. I didn't hear many moans when he didn't play and neither did I hear many plaudits when he did. How many chances does this lad need when he's barely shown anything to justify it?

Frankly if he's going to get another chance then he'll need to get better and get better quickly - I don't buy this "played out of position" or "style doesn't suit him" comments. Good players adapt. If he can force his way into Koeman's team then great but I doubt he will. I predict a return to Italy at a cut price for him.

I am firmly in the "this lad is clearly class" camp. He can pick a pass better than anyone we have in the middle. For that reason alone I don't want to see him leave, there is much more to come from him I am sure.

I think if the game is played at walking pace then you're probably right - he could be our best player. Unfortunately for him it isn't.

Looked good just about whenever called upon last season, particularly just before injury.

People moan about both our lack of squad depth, and his fee - first choice for his role last season in positions and style, was Lallana. So a £13m player was kept out of team by £26m player - isn't this the squad depth we want? Just as Cork kept out by Wanyama?

Agree. Was utterly disjointed in our squad the first year, was excellent in the cup games since, and shone evey time he came on in the league in 2014. Even so, I moaned and groaned whenever I saw he warm up or on the time sheet; but he always delivered and shut me up ('til the next time, cos I'm an idiot and it takes me a while...)

People that dismiss his work rate were clearly still queuing for pies or watching the highlights after a bevvy or two too many or something! I admit that's how he started, but he worked as hard as anyone (in a very hard working side) second half of the season.

If Lallana hadn't come so so very good last season, Gaston would have been first choice anyway.

Oh, and he drinks 'special tea', so that tops everything really, obviously.

I am firmly in the "this lad is clearly class" camp. He can pick a pass better than anyone we have in the middle. For that reason alone I don't want to see him leave, there is much more to come from him I am sure.

Agreed, needs a bit of TLC

So obviously talented but just not sure if he will ever adapt.

However, two things he clearly needs:

1. To play centrally

2. To get a run of starts

Only then can we tell IMO.

He normally plays 'centrally ' !!! What he needs to deliver is - stop giving the ball away and stop getting caught in poccession ! If he doesn't or can't do that then he will never be good enough. Simple really.....

I don't believe anyone would be even talking about Ramirez if he'd been bought from a championship team for a few mill - I think his pricetag and alleged ability is clouding thoughts. I'm not going to hide behind the usual excuse, "the lad is clearly quality but just needs to adapt" - I'm saying he is actually pretty poor. I didn't hear many moans when he didn't play and neither did I hear many plaudits when he did. How many chances does this lad need when he's barely shown anything to justify it?

Frankly if he's going to get another chance then he'll need to get better and get better quickly - I don't buy this "played out of position" or "style doesn't suit him" comments. Good players adapt. If he can force his way into Koeman's team then great but I doubt he will. I predict a return to Italy at a cut price for him.

Totally agree.... Has everything to prove as just not good enough yet ... And don't buy into all this 'needs a run in the team ' Runs in the team have to earnt and he clearly has not not earned his. 'Run'

What did he cost, £12m? That's about average for a good Premiership player these days. We are lucky to have him and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him next season. Osvaldo on the other hand...

Edit: bloody iPhone turned Osvaldo into 'is also' :(

You need to sort out your spell checker - that should say "is also ran"

He normally plays 'centrally ' !!! What he needs to deliver is - stop giving the ball away and stop getting caught in poccession ! If he doesn't or can't do that then he will never be good enough. Simple really.....

Clearly not fancied by MP, and suffered injuries but he has looked decent in his limited appearances recently.

As a flair player the stars often look bad, however, a few quick examples-

Liverpool home, 85% pass, 3 successful tackles (both better than AL).

West Ham away, only on 30 mins, 2 tackles - 2nd highest, 4 shots 2nd highest, best pass accuracy 96%, 3 dribbles - 2nd highest, lost possession 0 - (AL 5.)

Cardiff played 60, 3 shots (2nd), 1 key pass, 86% pass, lost possession 0 (AL 4), highest successful tackles.

Everton away, 25 mins, one of 2 players with shot on target, despite playing ¼ of game 2nd in key passes and dribbles, ONLY player not to lose possession.

Wba, 30 mins, most shots on target, highest pass accuracy 94%, 1 dribble, lost possession 1.

Norwich home, 60 mins, sort of game we struggle to break down, most key passes - 3 more than AL, most successful through balls, 5 players lost possession more, best pass accuracy 95%, (AL 79%).

Chelsea, most key passes, lost possession 2 (AL 7).

Know stats aren't everything, but don't normally do his style of player justice. Certainly doesn't support criticism given

Clearly not fancied by MP, and suffered injuries but he has looked decent in his limited appearances recently.

As a flair player the stars often look bad, however, a few quick examples-

Liverpool home, 85% pass, 3 successful tackles (both better than AL).

West Ham away, only on 30 mins, 2 tackles - 2nd highest, 4 shots 2nd highest, best pass accuracy 96%, 3 dribbles - 2nd highest, lost possession 0 - (AL 5.)

Cardiff played 60, 3 shots (2nd), 1 key pass, 86% pass, lost possession 0 (AL 4), highest successful tackles.

Everton away, 25 mins, one of 2 players with shot on target, despite playing ¼ of game 2nd in key passes and dribbles, ONLY player not to lose possession.

Wba, 30 mins, most shots on target, highest pass accuracy 94%, 1 dribble, lost possession 1.

Norwich home, 60 mins, sort of game we struggle to break down, most key passes - 3 more than AL, most successful through balls, 5 players lost possession more, best pass accuracy 95%, (AL 79%).

Chelsea, most key passes, lost possession 2 (AL 7).

Know stats aren't everything, but don't normally do his style of player justice. Certainly doesn't support criticism given

Lets not forget he lacks those all important quality that Saints fans love of running around a lot.

I hope he stays and does well.

He arrives with NA. I think it obvious that he found it hard to adjust to the league. It happens a lot and he did seem to get knocked off the ball far too easily. MP arrives and doesn't really fancy him. Coupled with injuries, his appearances were a bit bitty and I am not sure that anyone can really play their best under these situations. Now that RK is in the seat, he has another chance (that is if he doesn't leave or get pushed out). I do believe that players perform differently under different managers. Reports seem to suggest that RK's man management is pretty good - I am not going to diss MP's man management skills, as he got a pretty tight knit squad, but the mention of the clique that he had isn't good. I would love to know more about that if anyone knows, but it would appear that Gaston was not part of it. His agent was continually saying he wanted to be off, and of all the players we had, he seemed the least included (along with Jack Cork, although that changed when Big Vic was injured). So I am hoping (hopefully not naively) that RK can unlock the obvious talent the boy has, and get him playing to his full potential.

Tadic on the left, Ramirez on the right.

Why?

Because it was always going to be either Lallana or Ramirez in my eyes. Now he has an opportunity to claim that number 10 role on his own in more of a free role, particularly if we play wing backs and flat back 3. RK is renowned for developing the confidence of youngs players and that is exactly what Ramirez needs.

I have been one of his fiercest critics and I am happy for him to stay and have a third chance but only if we see him step up to the table, can he finally prove me wrong? ........... time will tell

Lets not forget he lacks those all important quality that Saints fans love of running around a lot.

Or being English.

Funny how in his first season Gaston was level with Adam for goals & assists (combined) provided, and ahead of Puncheon. This despite it being his first year in England (it does take time to adjust, I don't care what anyone says), a string of injuries, a family bereavement and a change of manager. Against this backdrop only the South American was victimised, funny eh?

He hasn't been amazing, of course he hasn't. He does need to step us soon, absolutely. He can go missing sometimes, that is totally true - but can anyone name me a #10 type player that doesn't? If you can, can you name one that isn't playing at a top club - i.e. out of reach of Southampton? But, the stick he gets on here is beyond a joke. There's a fallacy that he is lazy, again it's untrue (same was said of Guly who then became the go to workhorse - what's the link there?). I also love that the people that criticise him for losing the ball are often the same people that criticise the possession football. So you want a man that will try and thread a through ball, and open up a defence - but when someone tries to do that they are still criticised.

Brilliant.

I hope the lad does come good, he doesn't seem to have a bad attitude and is often mentioned the boy has great talent. He didn't really strop last season, and when played actually looked pretty useful. That assist against West Brom was brilliant (his detractors were quick to dismiss it as a fluke - despite him clearly looking for Adam's run before he receives the ball). He is the sort of player I love watching, he can make things happen - that isn't to say he can't be effing frustrating also.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

Or being English.

Funny how in his first season Gaston was level with Adam for goals & assists (combined) provided, and ahead of Puncheon. This despite it being his first year in England (it does take time to adjust, I don't care what anyone says), a string of injuries and a family bereavement and a change of manager. Against this backdrop only the South American was victimised, funny eh?

He hasn't been amazing, of course he hasn't. He does need to step us soon, absolutely. He can go missing sometimes, that is totally true - but can anyone name me a #10 type player that doesn't? If you can, can you name one that isn't playing at a top club - i.e. out of reach of Southampton? But, the stick he gets on here is beyond a joke. There's a fallacy that he is lazy, again it's untrue (same was said of Guly who then became the go to workhorse - what's the link there?). I also love that the people that criticise him for losing the ball are often the same people that criticise the possession football. So you want a man that will try and thread a through ball, and open up a defence - but when some tries to do that they are still criticised.

Brilliant.

I hope the lad does come good, he doesn't seem to have a bad attitude and is often mentioned the boy has great talent. He didn't really strop last season, and when played actually looked pretty useful. That assist against West Brom was brilliant (his detractors were quick to dismiss it as a fluke - despite him clearly looking for Adam's run before he receives the ball). He is the sort of player I love watching, he can make things happen - that isn't to say he can't be effing frustrating also.

Hear, hear!

Or being English.

Funny how in his first season Gaston was level with Adam for goals & assists (combined) provided, and ahead of Puncheon. This despite it being his first year in England (it does take time to adjust, I don't care what anyone says), a string of injuries, a family bereavement and a change of manager. Against this backdrop only the South American was victimised, funny eh?

He hasn't been amazing, of course he hasn't. He does need to step us soon, absolutely. He can go missing sometimes, that is totally true - but can anyone name me a #10 type player that doesn't? If you can, can you name one that isn't playing at a top club - i.e. out of reach of Southampton? But, the stick he gets on here is beyond a joke. There's a fallacy that he is lazy, again it's untrue (same was said of Guly who then became the go to workhorse - what's the link there?). I also love that the people that criticise him for losing the ball are often the same people that criticise the possession football. So you want a man that will try and thread a through ball, and open up a defence - but when someone tries to do that they are still criticised.

Brilliant.

Agree with most of this, he nearly always looks to pass forward and make something happen. Clearly down on confidence but thats hardly a suprise. Massively needs a run of games, and to be used in his best position.

One thing I always remember is just after he signed Puncheon was interviewed and they asked him about Gaston, and he said something about how good Gaston looked, and you could see he genuinely thought he was class.

However, its his last chance, and if he can't get a regular spot without Jay or Lallana then he never will.

I really hope Ramirez stays. I think he has great skills and with the right management could be a top player. Pochettino didn't rate him for whatever reason but with the right nurturing he could blossom under Koeman.

Ramirez and Tadic pulling the strings sounds great, backed up with youth. Perhaps a winger cum striker addition wouldn't go astray as Jay's out for so long though, it'd provide better strength in depth. (Unless that's earmarked as Mayuka's spot.) Having said that Koeman did say in the interview Tadic was one of a few they wanted. I suppose it depends whether Ramirez stays as to whether we strengthen further.

I like him, only Lambert could play in a killer pass other than him. I think he has vision and may well either play on the right or in the hole although I can see us bringing in another goal scorer there. That would give us a pretty lethal cutting edge. I think we could become a better and more effective team than last year if we keep or replace Lovren and Schneiderlin (no bid, RK) and bring in some further competition at GK, LB, CB, AM where injuries with inadequate cover effectively ruined our start.

Or being English.

Brilliant.

Perfectly put.......give Gaston a decent break and this guy will shine..............haemorrhaged by MP favourite Lalanus.

Obviously a quality talent, but gives the ball away too easily, plus he's one of the clumsiest tacklers I've ever seen.

Could be an interesting barometer of Koeman's approach compared to MP's - is he happy to concede possession a bit in return for an increase in creativity?

And he isn't good English lad so doesnt appeal to Alpine's racist views.

Poor bulldog Cork, not fair he is on bench as just because Wanyama and Schneiderlin playing well, must keep him happy.

Gash Carlos Kickabout lazy and happy to be paid fortune to sit on bench just because Lallana playing so well.

Its some reassurance knowing those who don't see his ability haven't ever seen him play!

Remember, Lambert said he has never played with a player who has such good vision.

Neville - best player played against in12/13

Good ratings in world cup.

But on here he is rubbish!

Really hope that he is staying and that he will show his true potential this season. Under Koeman I think he will play a slightly different role, especially without Lallana around. He has fantastic skill and awareness, his major drawback is not that he gives the ball away but that he gives it away in dangerous positions. Take him out of these positions and give him more freedom and he will be great I believe. Remember he is still only 23. I think Ron will transform him.

Looking forward to him improving under Koeman after being criminally mismanaged by the treacherous Argie.

This is one of the reasons that I've still got a bit of hope for Ramirez, along with the fact that our first season back, in general, was something of a clusterf**k both on and off the pitch. NA just wasn't a Prem level manager. Fk knows what it must have felt like as a player to go plummeting down the table, especially if you've just arrived and been promised CL football or summat. The business in January unsettled us all.

Poch instilled the team with a feisty character, but you do hear reports of him having favourites. I wouldn't be at all surprised if those favourites coincided with the (ahem) movers and shakers.

Ramirez has an excellent opportunity for a fresh start under RK, but really needs to go for it. Think this also might be his last chance to lay permanent claim to a place in the starting eleven.

He showed rather poor judgement in the WC by immediately acting as a denier of the Suarez biting offence. Would have done better to have kept out of it and as a Saints' fan it was a shame to see a Saints' player trying to defend the indefensible.

He showed rather poor judgement in the WC by immediately acting as a denier of the Suarez biting offence. Would have done better to have kept out of it and as a Saints' fan it was a shame to see a Saints' player trying to defend the indefensible.

Him and his entire country, Suarez was welcomed home to a heroes' reception.

Edited by farawaysaint

This could be his season. I agree. Worth keeping for now alright.

Wanyama / Schneiderlin

JayRod / Ramirez / Tadic

Pelle

Pretty good front 6, with sub's/ cover Cork, JWP, Davis, Reid, Gallagher, Isgrove, Rowe,

Plus whatever happens with Ings, Osvaldo, Classie etc

Pretty confident of our options there.

If Lovren and Schneiderlin stay we are not far off a good squad.

Personal priorities - CF, CB then keeper ( think Forster may come to join Watson). Ignored LB as have no idea standard of Target.

Thought of Ramirez, Tadic building a partnership is exciting.

Ignored LB as have no idea standard of Target.

no matter how good Targett is we need another LB, even if he does turn out to be as good as shaw if he got injured we need a decent replacement to bring in. personally i feel we should be bringing in a quality LB and have Targett as an understudy

I'm more confident he will find some consistency under RK than I have been about either of our previous two managers.

Not on the wind up but what is it about RK that makes you think he can get the best out of Gaston (who i believe is a great player and with the right tactics and motivation will be a saints legend)

Not on the wind up but what is it about RK that makes you think he can get the best out of Gaston (who i believe is a great player and with the right tactics and motivation will be a saints legend)

RK places more of an emphasis on scoring goals, not on keeping possession. That might help him. It will aslo help having a more mobile front man who is capable of running in behind. Whenever Gaston gets the ball he's looking for a killer pass and with Lambert up front he simply wasn't going to get the runner he needed for that

This was a natural reaction under the circumstances and we don't even know if he saw the incident himself. A bit mean therefore to blame his at the time reaction particularly as like all his team they were desperate to progress.

I think giving him a new contract and a massive pay increase could do wonders for his confidence.

Also it would lead to some v.exciting arguments on here. I hope the club is looking at this pls!

well I think playing a few more games in his already-long contract......and grafting a bit more to earn some of the already-massive salary he gets might go someway towards endearing him to the rest of us.