Things could be worse - your memories of 2007-2009

whizzpop

I think Anthony Pulis has got to be up there with the worst of them. Couldn't even get off the bench when we were at the absolute bare bones, was purely there to make up the numbers. I remember one fleeting appearance in a preseason friendly. He had a shot go out for a throw in and was never seen again.

Steven O'Halloran, he was dreadful. I remember Martin O'Neal slating us for not giving him a game and wondering if he had ever actually seen Steven train.

Also the club never actually announced that Useless Safri had left. There were some rumours on dodgy foreign websites about him going to the Middle East and then he sort of disappeared and was never mentioned again.

Thought Safri was very good for us - a bright spot in the 2007/08 season. A cut above anything in our midfield.

Even the commentators were $hite back in those dark days.

You didn't need a commentator if you were there, a real awayday special if you were there that night.

Considering how carp we were we had fantastic away support in the dark days ... don't know what the allocation is at Watford but we had 1500+ up there midweek.

I remember going on a guided tour of St. Marys as part of a Radio Solent giveaway or something back then, and the tour guide saying what an amazing player Cedric Baseya was going to be in a few years. Now plying his trade in the lower half of Bulgaria's top league.

Also we actually signed Vincent Pericard on loan :mcinnes:

Didn't we also have a goalkeeping crisis at one point? I seem to remember our 3rd choice keeper Michael Poke got injured in one game and our 16 year old 4th choice keeper refused to come on. Then we signed Richard Wright on loan who did a good job from what I remember.

I remember going on a guided tour of St. Marys as part of a Radio Solent giveaway or something back then, and the tour guide saying what an amazing player Cedric Baseya was going to be in a few years. Now plying his trade in the lower half of Bulgaria's top league.

Didn't we also have a goalkeeping crisis at one point? I seem to remember our 3rd choice keeper Michael Poke got injured in one game and our 16 year old 4th choice keeper refused to come on. Then we signed Richard Wright on loan who did a good job from what I remember.

Richard Wright was excellent in his time with us.

You didn't need a commentator if you were there, a real awayday special if you were there that night.

Considering how carp we were we had fantastic away support in the dark days ... don't know what the allocation is at Watford but we had 1500+ up there midweek.

Yep, enjoyed aways much more in those days and our support actually made some noise compared to today. Think there was only a few empty seats that night and the away end holds 2,200 so I'd have said 1,800-2,000.

Had Christian Dailly and Chris Lucketti on loan too and Lucketti couldn't play on the final day against Sheff Utd because he didn't feel it was right rather than being contractually not able to?

Had Christian Dailly and Chris Lucketti on loan too and Lucketti couldn't play on the final day against Sheff Utd because he didn't feel it was right rather than being contractually not able to?

That's how I remember it. No reason not to other then his own feeling that it was a conflict of interest.

I think Anthony Pulis has got to be up there with the worst of them. Couldn't even get off the bench when we were at the absolute bare bones, was purely there to make up the numbers. I remember one fleeting appearance in a preseason friendly. He had a shot go out for a throw in and was never seen again.

Steven O'Halloran, he was dreadful. I remember Martin O'Neal slating us for not giving him a game and wondering if he had ever actually seen Steven train.

Also the club never actually announced that Useless Safri had left. There were some rumours on dodgy foreign websites about him going to the Middle East and then he sort of disappeared and was never mentioned again.

Fairly sure we signed O'Halloran for marketing reasons as we had England under 21s v Ireland under 21s, we used him and Surman to try and sell tickets.

Enjoying reading through this thread! Remember we lost last minute at home to Charlton (Iwelumo header) and Preston (Lewis somebody) possibly in back to back games. That was a low.

Or 2-3 against Bristol Rovers at SMS, last minute winner for them and the day I failed my driving test. Another cracker.

If we are moving out of the 2007 - 2009 period then my worst away trip has to be at MK Dons in September 2010. It was Adkins first match in charge, Ricky had scored a classy hat trick at the same place 6 months earlier and expectations were high. Instead all we got was a dire display from basically the same team who got promoted later that season. We were "thrashed" 2 0 and the future looked bleak.

MP John Denham sat next to usthat night and he was in despair as well at the end. Lessthan 4years ago but it seems like a different world.

I didn't go to that game but I was at Reading away that year. That was a pretty great day out too. The fans in full voice. Bradley Wright-Phillips scored a brace and Reading scored a disallowed equaliser, letting us off the hook a little, but overall I felt we deserved it that day. It was probably one of the best performances I saw from the team during that season. Although I remember Preston away turned out to be another good one, Reading away sticks in my mind.

I recall describing him (Pulis) as a terrible signing at the time and being lambasted on here for doing so, "got to give him a chance to show what he could do before slating him". Still waiting...

I didn't go to that game but I was at Reading away that year. That was a pretty great day out too. The fans in full voice. Bradley Wright-Phillips scored a brace and Reading scored a disallowed equaliser, letting us off the hook a little, but overall I felt we deserved it that day. It was probably one of the best performances I saw from the team during that season. Although I remember Preston away turned out to be another good one, Reading away sticks in my mind.

That was the game we played Lallana in the hole and he was absolutely amazing. For some reason we never really played him there again up until last season of course.

Was Preston the 2 nil down come back to win 2-3? Can't remember us ever doing that before or after.

Bristol City at home in January I think it was. The season Portaloo was in charge. It was the first and so far only time I couldn't be bothered to go to a match I could make.
I can't recall that home game. I think Lee Johnson scored, did we lose? Probably. I certainly recall the game at their place. One of the most abject displays from a Saints team I have ever seen. Right up there with the Bristol Rovers game. They ran rings round us and only Davis' performance kept it respectable. Despite raving about him since his first touch in a Saints shirt, I recall having serious doubts about Morgan that day. He simply would not or could tackle. He, like many Saints player was embarrassing. Mind you I'm not sure why we played him at right midfield that day.

Enjoying reading through this thread! Remember we lost last minute at home to Charlton (Iwelumo header) and Preston (Lewis somebody) possibly in back to back games. That was a low.

Or 2-3 against Bristol Rovers at SMS, last minute winner for them and the day I failed my driving test. Another cracker.

I remember that result, almost fondly. I'd just got a base transfer in my job, down to Bristol ironically, and that game was a couple of days before I moved.

It coincided with the end of our pain as Saints fans. The next game was at home to Gilingham and we battered them 4-1, since then we went on a run of top 2 form for nearly 3 years, aside from a brief blip when Pardew was sacked.

Yep, enjoyed aways much more in those days and our support actually made some noise compared to today. Think there was only a few empty seats that night and the away end holds 2,200 so I'd have said 1,800-2,000.

As I remember it, this game was just after we'd been given the ten-point admin deduction, so things were really desperate. Still think we could have won the game - we had another free-kick a couple of minutes after the JPS goal in about the same place, but Surman took it instead.

For some reason, the worst game of that season for me was a 0-0 at home to Coventry sometime around February and it was freezing. Leon Best was playing for Coventry; Safri gave the ball way in our area right at the end and almost lost it for us, and St Marys was about half-full.

Good memories from that time - 3-0 up at half-time against Preston, couldn't believe it. And the Sheff Utd last game the season before, Stern John sent off, but holding on for the last 10 minutes- Richard Wright the calmest person on the pitch.

I particularly remember a 2-0 defeat to Rochdale the first season in L1. That was pretty bad although I guess it doesn't count for this thread.

Wasn't that actually in our promotion season?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8964090.stm

Yep, Wilkins in charge between Pardew and Adkins.

IIRC that was the last home game we lost before that insane 18 game winning streak or whatever it was.

IIRC that was the last home game we lost before that insane 18 game winning streak or whatever it was.

oi, enough of that winning stuff, let's get back to the two year period of self punishment including watching Jordan Robertson and Jake Thompson drowning in waters way beyond their depth.

I can't recall that home game. I think Lee Johnson scored, did we lose? Probably. I certainly recall the game at their place. One of the most abject displays from a Saints team I have ever seen. Right up there with the Bristol Rovers game. They ran rings round us and only Davis' performance kept it respectable. Despite raving about him since his first touch in a Saints shirt, I recall having serious doubts about Morgan that day. He simply would not or could tackle. He, like many Saints player was embarrassing. Mind you I'm not sure why we played him at right midfield that day.

Early on, really can't remember the game, I made a point of just watching him for about half an hour and pretty much ignoring everything else. (not relly difficult in those days !) Thing was, the game was simply passing him by. It was obvious that he had some ability, but needed to actually use it in the right way, to make a contribution.

anyway, my personal low spot was the home defeat to Plymouth on 19/02/08. (Nige's first game?)

Just a truly awful performance against another terrible team.

Things could be worse!

We'd just finished 8th, lost our outstanding manager who'd got us there, eventually appointed a highly acclaimed manager who failed through lack of boardroom support, we lost a critical player or two (killer) & England left back, lost our young home grown youth talent (Theo, et al) and we were being poorly managed in the Boardroom who we're investing in infrastructure and not buying enough players ... and fans were getting nervous and were at each other's throats on the Saintsweb forum. We relegated in our home made shirts and our England strikers wanted out of the club.

Thank goodness times have changed.

...... This time at least our owner isn't a plc, our Board isn't run by Rupert Lowe and we have money to support our acclaimed manager to buy the 6-8 high quality players he needs. (I hope so anyway).

History is a dangerous tutor. But it is the only one we have.

That Bristol City game where Lee Johnson scored was November 08.

That was the game we played Lallana in the hole and he was absolutely amazing. For some reason we never really played him there again up until last season of course.

Was Preston the 2 nil down come back to win 2-3? Can't remember us ever doing that before or after.

Yeah thats right...

Saints coming back from 2 down to win doesn't happen often. The only other time I remember that happening was the 4-2 win against Fulham at home in 2002/03 season

Even though I had a season ticket throughout I'm struggling to remember much at all. Must be post traumatic stress disorder.

Same here. Those lower league years all seem to merge into one for me, can only really think of a handful of games I can remember off the top of my head.

Yeah thats right...

Saints coming back from 2 down to win doesn't happen often. The only other time I remember that happening was the 4-2 win against Fulham at home in 2002/03 season

Gobern and McGoldrick looked good! Ive got zero memory of Pierce from Reading on loan.

I think we actually played some good football in the 08/09 season, especially away from home.

Low point for me was Wolves away that season, 3-0 down at half time, £30 to get in, nailed on for relegation, not too many up there, really was shi*e!

...... we have money to support our acclaimed manager to buy the 6-8 high quality players he needs. (I hope so anyway).

History is a dangerous tutor. But it is the only one we have.

This is what worries me. When we sold Bale, Baird, Jones and Pele we had the money and spunked it on the laziest striker in the world, Stern John, Wayne Thomas, Chris Perry, Paul Wotton, Jason Euell, Lee Holmes...

Sell quality, replace with ****e and you go from the top end of the table to the bottom,overnight.

Edited by Chez

Wolves away in 07/08. Decided at the last minute to get the bingo bus up on my own.

2-2 with Jason Euell heading home a 90th minute equaliser from a Mario Licka corner.

Vignal scored a penalty for us to make it 1-1, but then got sent off minutes later.

Ebanks-Blake had put Wolves ahead twice, including with about four minutes to go, so it was nice to get a point.

Oh I was also stood next to Mario Licka's wife, was tempted to hug her when we scored, but thought i'd probably get arrested lol. Someone feel free to do a rule 1.

I remember that match only too well. We were anticipating a good season but started with a home defeat to Plymouth and then a home draw with Leyton Orient (a day or so after Marcus dies). After that Rochdale defeat I don't think anyone would have thought that we would get automatic promotion that season. Incidentally does anyone remember who Garrod was - he was named as one of our subs for that match.

In a desperate effort to get the thread back on track (we've moved on to 2010/11 FFS) I give you Burnley away, December 2008.

After 11 mins we were 3-0 down and they had also hit the bar and KD made two good saves. That first half was up there with the 5 and 6 nil drubbings, for totally inept defending and we should have been 6 or 7 down at the break. On paper the team was too bad and we somehow managed to get 2 back in the second half.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/10091/teams

In a desperate effort to get the thread back on track (we've moved on to 2010/11 FFS) I give you Burnley away, December 2008.

After 11 mins we were 3-0 down and they had also hit the bar and KD made two good saves. That first half was up there with the 5 and 6 nil drubbings, for totally inept defending and we should have been 6 or 7 down at the break. On paper the team was too bad and we somehow managed to get 2 back in the second half.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/10091/teams

That back four is tragic, 3 midfielders + a pensioner :(

Yeah thats right...

As Max Boyce says - "I was there".

One advantage of those dark and dismal years was the opportunity to get a few more 'home' games at Preston and Blackpool, and visiting some new grounds around Lancashire & Yorkshire.

Wasn't he player of the season one year IIRC?

Yep, despite only actually making 24 appearances out of a 46 game season (and half of those on loan). Shows how poor we were that year!

I remember that match only too well. We were anticipating a good season but started with a home defeat to Plymouth and then a home draw with Leyton Orient (a day or so after Marcus dies). After that Rochdale defeat I don't think anyone would have thought that we would get automatic promotion that season. Incidentally does anyone remember who Garrod was - he was named as one of our subs for that match.

Tony garrod, he was a youth team striker.

Here's a curve ball - who remembers Zoltan Liptak? (People are gonna think i'm making this up soon!)

Wolves away in 07/08. Decided at the last minute to get the bingo bus up on my own.

2-2 with Jason Euell heading home a 90th minute equaliser from a Mario Licka corner.

Vignal scored a penalty for us to make it 1-1, but then got sent off minutes later.

Ebanks-Blake had put Wolves ahead twice, including with about four minutes to go, so it was nice to get a point.

Oh I was also stood next to Mario Licka's wife, was tempted to hug her when we scored, but thought i'd probably get arrested lol. Someone feel free to do a rule 1.

That sending off for Vignal was absolutely ludicrous.

Yep, despite only actually making 24 appearances out of a 46 game season (and half of those on loan). Shows how poor we were that year!

Tony garrod, he was a youth team striker.

Here's a curve ball - who remembers Zoltan Liptak? (People are gonna think i'm making this up soon!)

Hungarian centre back, wasn't that bad if memory serves. Loan was terminated when we went into administration.

That back four is tragic, 3 midfielders + a pensioner :(

Cork was very much a centreback for the chelsea youth team, he played there and right back for us mostly. Weird that pearce was on the bench though.

Speaking of the bench, there is some horrific 'game changers' there.

Bambi on ice. I think he has played international footy recently.

A current Hungarian international! Just checked, he played v England in 2010, his international debut. Since amassed 17 caps, and a goal v San Marino. The year before he signed for us he couldn't get a game at Southend and was sent on loan to Stevenage.