Things could be worse - your memories of 2007-2009

whizzpop

Crystal Palace away. Relegation season. We lost 3-0 to a Shefki Kuqi, yes Shefki Kuqi, inspired performance. It was bitterly cold and my Palace mate was lauding it over me all game. We were awful, the best player for us that night was a certain Jack Cork. My mate said he liked the look of our right back that day, Lloyd James. He laughed when I told him both our full backs were midfielders.

Our team that day:

Southampton: 1. Kelvin Davies, 2. Chris Perry, 7. Rudi Skacel, 8. Bradley Wright-Phillips (16. Romain Gasmi, 81), 11. Andrew Surman, 17. David McGoldrick, 20. Adam Lallana, 23. Lloyd James, 30. Jack Cork, 38. Jordon Robertson (33. Joseph Mills, 69), 41. Alex Pearce (10. Paul Wotton, 45).

FFS. :rolleyes:

I actually didn't mind some of the players who got heavily criticised during that period.

Skacel was clearly a talented player but was badly managed. We never got him fit and ended up playing him out of position. Licka was pretty handy and had an eye for a neat pass, yet Burley persisted with cloggers like Euell and Viafara. Saganowski was a deadly striker in a decent team but poor without decent service. I always felt he was at least trying, despite some people being adamant he only played for a contract.

Never rated Safri, thought he was just a passenger. A neat passer but never creative, dominant or energetic.

The worst player in that whole era though... Darren Powell. 50p head, Toblerone feet, f**k me he was hopeless.

Saints 0-2 Notts Forest.

They were one of very few teams actually below us at that point but we could've played all day and not scored. From that point I knew we were as good as down. Watching McGoldrick playing as a clueless targetman all game was painful. We were beyond awful that day.

Was that the game where fans started fighting with each other? Some were singing swing Lowe, others shouting at them to get behind the team and it all kicked off from there.

I knew at that point it was going to get worse before it got any better. Absolutely awful season, genuinely couldn't be bothered to go each week, but by the Saturday morning I used to think 'well you never know we could play well today' In the end glad I endured that season - makes me appreciate where we are now a lot more.

Was that the game where fans started fighting with each other? Some were singing swing Lowe, others shouting at them to get behind the team and it all kicked off from there.

I knew at that point it was going to get worse before it got any better. Absolutely awful season, genuinely couldn't be bothered to go each week, but by the Saturday morning I used to think 'well you never know we could play well today' In the end glad I endured that season - makes me appreciate where we are now a lot more.

That was dreadful that game. Bloody freezing, horrible atmosphere and I swear we didn't string 2 passes in the whole game

Saints 0 Watford 3

a guy a near me in the Kingsland walked to the front and threw his season ticket on the pitch.

Wonder if he ever came back?

I still remember that game - Saints had a penalty awarded I believe in the first 2/3 mins..."Bloody McGoldrick" passed it to the goalkeeper.

Watford then scored I think, and Saints had a second spot kick.... Wotton snatched the ball and missed it.

Like many others I went to the Sheff Utd 1-2 game... wasn't there a big push to get the game on?

David McGoldrick's languid run up to stroke yet another penalty wide/into the keeper. Seemed like a weekly occurrence at the time.

Jake Thomson, our slowest ever winger

Lloyd James "controlling" the midfield.

Realising I still had six matches to watch to justify having a season ticket.

Useless Safri

Desperate times.

Never forget Lloyd James and those amazing floated in crosses. Worst games had to be losing 3-0 to Watford at home where we missed 2 penalties in the first half. Losing to Doncaster at home 2-1 and the fight in the Northam was definitely the lowest point.

Being present at the humiliating defeats away to both Sheffield Wednesday and Preston - getting beat so badly and in performances which appeared to lack effort and spirit that the club, hardly rolling in money, felt so bad they offered supporters who went to both games a free ticket to the Cardiff away game. We got beat in that game too, but I recall it was only by the odd goal. Ah, the days of going to away games where it felt like some sort of voluntary torture despite the feeling right before kick off of 'what if we got a point'.

Chris Perry. Remember thinking christ he is old and a bit naff and on loan from Luton, glad it's only a short-term loan while we rebuild ... and then we signed him. Kinda summed it all up for me.

Although he turned out to be one of our better performers during that period of time.

Didn't we miss 3 penalties in the Watford 3-0 defeat

McGoldrick and Wotton both missed, was there 3?

I remember being wildly over excited after we beat Norwich at home when Jordan Robertson scored a screamer and Lallana was doing all kinds of amazing flicks and dribbles. Turns out I should have been more concerned with the fact our defence allowed Norwich to miss a hatful of chances.

One thing I miss from those these seasons was having the ability to change ends at half time non-league style. Due to St Mary's never being sold out we'd sit in the Kingsland/Northam corner for the first half, then wander down to the Chapel corner at half time. This meant we'd always be at the end Saints were shooting to and as far away as possible from the end we were shipping loads of goals at.

February 2008, FA Cup 5th round. Bristol Rovers away. The worst I have ever seen a Southampton side play live. It was that evening I remember truly realising what was happening at the club and I now benchmark pretty much everything football related to how I felt after that game. I'm not proud of it but that was the last time I booed the team off the pitch. And I remember the players clapping the away end after the final whistle and the utter deserved abuse that ensued. Bad old days.

February 2008, FA Cup 5th round. Bristol Rovers away. The worst I have ever seen a Southampton side play live. It was that evening I remember truly realising what was happening at the club and I now benchmark pretty much everything football related to how I felt after that game. I'm not proud of it but that was the last time I booed the team off the pitch. And I remember the players clapping the away end after the final whistle and the utter deserved abuse that ensued. Bad old days.

who was it that lit up that game and put his name on our radar???????

who was it that lit up that game and put his name on our radar???????

That was his 26th birthday, what a mad 5 and a half years he's had. My BRFC mate told me about him before the game and I remember being devastated that we let the lower league clogger score the winner against us! Really hope he gets some games at Pool, truly inspiring story.

Urgh horrible game. After this game the players, Dodd and Gorman were confronted whilst getting on the coach. Some old guy started screaming at every one of them getting on the coach that were a disgrace to the shirt. He also went right up to Gorman's face and shouted that he was a disgrace. Gorman then started to cry saying it was the anniversary of his wife's death. Not a great day.

I think Pearson was named as manager a few days later.

Urgh horrible game. After this game the players, Dodd and Gorman were confronted whilst getting on the coach. Some old guy started screaming at every one of them getting on the coach that were a disgrace to the shirt. He also went right up to Gorman's face and shouted that he was a disgrace. Gorman then started to cry saying it was the anniversary of his wife's death. Not a great day.

Surely your low point of this period was an evening in millbrook followed by a harvester with our favourite wangy eyed fatty?

Charlton home 2009 lost 2-3 ... Still can´t belive there where almost fight in Northam amongs fans for have season tickets or not,,,,,,, And the song BWP loves plastic fans : /

Also this young guy about 6-7 years old where screaming Pork from min 1 to min 90 that game with his nice mum supporting him doing so..

My low as a Saints fan - have much more postive games to mention but as you asked ; )

Awful story, fans forget that coaches and managers are human sometimes.

As a student throughout that period I could only make it to about 1 match in 5 or 6. Almost felt guilty about not suffering every painful moment first-hand. In some ways I guess it was better that online streams weren't widely available in those days.

One enduring memory was getting my mates 'round to watch the 2008 FA Cup match against Bristol Rovers as it was shown on the BBC. I was convinced we were on the verge of a cup run to give the season some credibility! Ended up utterly dismayed with our lacklustre, toothless performance; Lambert's free kick deflecting in off Wright was crushing.

3-0 defeat away at Swansea. Lloyd James spent the entire afternoon out of position (was supposed to be playing right back). Game was awful and we just didn't look like a team, let alone like getting anything from the game.

Went back to sea shortly after that game so fortunately I wasn't subjected to much more of that dross in person.

Some wonderful perspective for all who read this thread.

Goals were celebrated so much more vigorously in those days, mostly because they were so hard to come by. I went to most of the games listed in this thread, voluntary torcher is a great way to describe it. All the better for it now, though, just consider it part of my education!

There was another, lesser known, 3-0 home defeat to Watford IIRC. Under Burley, when he played Jermaine Wright at LB and had Euell in front of him as the supposed winger. We had Vignal and Skacel on the bench. I don't think I've ever left a game that angry before, it really was a case of playing Wright at absolutely any cost. Absolutely clueless ineptitude on Burley's part which started me thinking he did genuinely have an alcohol problem.

I think that was the game he just sat there like a lemon when we were 3-0 for half an hour, then threw Adam Hammill on with 2 minutes to go. The crowd REALLY got on his back at that point. Clueless manager.

There was another, lesser known, 3-0 home defeat to Watford IIRC. Under Burley, when he played Jermaine Wright at LB and had Euell in front of him as the supposed winger. We had Vignal and Skacel on the bench. I don't think I've ever left a game that angry before, it really was a case of playing Wright at absolutely any cost. Absolutely clueless ineptitude on Burley's part which started me thinking he did genuinely have an alcohol problem.

I think that was the game he just sat there like a lemon when we were 3-0 for half an hour, then threw Adam Hammill on with 2 minutes to go. The crowd REALLY got on his back at that point. Clueless manager.

Sums up a large part of Burley's time here to a tee

Good memories. We were absolutely dirge at times in those two seasons; sometime great but for the most part quite terrible. But I always look back fondly on those days, even though it was clearly so often so very disappointing. Despite Saints being a bit sh*t, I always found the contrast to the Premier League to be very refreshing and the match-going experience was still something completely different to what we had gotten used to in the top league for so long. The Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday routine of a 46 game season in the Championship is still one of the things that makes it a fantastic division.

Palace 1-4 on opening day of 07-08, I'll always remember that one, I was in a corporate box with friends of both sides and it was eye opening! But looking back, utterly hilarious.

The Sheffield United staying up game last game of the season, still my favourite game at St. Mary's (I prefer it even to both promotion pitch invasions).

08-09 was very dark for most of the time, but still some cracking memories including the 3-2 Preston away fight back, 3 wins in a row in feb to give some hope before the final capitulation, and of course the massive upturn in crowds and anticipation once Rupert had finally been ousted.

Happy days.

Sharing the Sheffield United game with 13256 of you was a particular low point, but the 1-4 defeat at home against Palace the season before on the opening day of the season showed exactly how much quality had been taken out of the side and the struggle that was bound to take place.

The 0-2 defeat against Forrest with that screamer from joe Garner hurt like hell (brother in law a mad Forrest fan). Funnily enough although we won, getting taken apart by Bury in the cup at home showed us up,as a terrible side.

Just too many defeats to choose from. The away massacres at Hull and Sheff Wed were bad, but the home defeats always hurt more for some reason.

As for players, bloody hell I'm so,glad I never have to watch Chris Perry at CB ever again, or Bennett or Lancashire or Thomas or Makin or Pearce or Daily or Cork or ****ign Powell.

Sharing the Sheffield United game with 13256 of you was a particular low point, but the 1-4 defeat at home against Palace the season before on the opening day of the season showed exactly how much quality had been taken out of the side and the struggle that was bound to take place.

The 0-2 defeat against Forrest with that screamer from joe Garner hurt like hell (brother in law a mad Forrest fan). Funnily enough although we won, getting taken apart by Bury in the cup at home showed us up,as a terrible side.

Just too many defeats to choose from. The away massacres at Hull and Sheff Wed were bad, but the home defeats always hurt more for some reason.

As for players, bloody hell I'm so,glad I never have to watch Chris Perry at CB ever again, or Bennett or Lancashire or Thomas or Makin or Pearce or Daily or Cork or ****ign Powell.

Roman gasmi, Thomas Pekhart, Jim Brennan, Ryan Smith, Graham Potter, etc etc

Roman gasmi, Thomas Pekhart, Jim Brennan, Ryan Smith, Graham Potter, etc etc

Smith was worse than useless. Was it Lowe who described him as "world class"?

Graham Potter's one claim to fame was being part of the team that beat Man Utd 6-3.

There's a lot of horrific players mentioned on this thread, and I know he wasn't playing for us at the time specified, but for the sheer disinterest he showed while being at the club Olivier Bernard is by far my least favourite ever Saints player.

Bristol City at home in January I think it was. The season Portaloo was in charge. It was the first and so far only time I couldn't be bothered to go to a match I could make. And in over 35 years I have missed no more than a dozen home league matches all told.

The most desperate of times, nobody will ever come close to Markus Liebherr for saving our great club from oblivion.

I think Anthony Pulis has got to be up there with the worst of them. Couldn't even get off the bench when we were at the absolute bare bones, was purely there to make up the numbers. I remember one fleeting appearance in a preseason friendly. He had a shot go out for a throw in and was never seen again.

Steven O'Halloran, he was dreadful. I remember Martin O'Neal slating us for not giving him a game and wondering if he had ever actually seen Steven train.

Also the club never actually announced that Useless Safri had left. There were some rumours on dodgy foreign websites about him going to the Middle East and then he sort of disappeared and was never mentioned again.