Dusan Tadic - DONE DEAL, official and everything

S-Clarke

I notice that there's none of the usual 'my dream to play in the Premier League' stuff in the quotes. Might just be because it's not his dream of course (it was said that he would have preferred a move to Germany), but I wonder whether the club are trying to avoid repeating the sorts of phrases used when Lovren signed.

I jumped straight to the last paragraph before reading from the start as I felt it was going to be the most important thing being said

“We now look forward to bringing in more players because we want to continue and maybe even better what Southampton did last season.”

Not exactly the inspiration and confirmation of our ambitions that I was hoping for.

I jumped straight to the last paragraph before reading from the start as I felt it was going to be the most important thing being said

Not exactly the inspiration and confirmation of our ambitions that I was hoping for.

Would you rather he spouted a load of unrealistic nonsense?

Funny little passage in this write-up of Tadic:

"While Groningen fell apart the next season, the Eastern European continued to impress, and with another seven goals and nine assists in the league, he earned himself a transfer to FC Twente. The fixture list for 2012-13 could not be crueller to Groningen fans as Tadic made his debut in a home game against his former team. The forward singlehandedly beat his former club, aiding Twente with scoring twice and setting up a further two assists in a 4-0 thumping."

My most knowledgeable Saints supporting mate has been banging on about Tadic since the 28th, when most eyes were on Pelle. It's an interesting signing; far less of a gamble than Lovren and Osvaldo, both known to have attitude issues up-front. Could act as a lightning rod for other signings, particularly from the Eredivisie - but I'm sure those in the game are aware of his talent.

Excellent signing. The sales might not have ended, but its encouraging seeing the sort of player we're going for and (once again, depressed peeps!) landing him. I'm confident we can sign replacements now that the dam has burst.

To maybe say we want to push on from last season? Saying you "maybe could" do doesn't mean you are hoping to do better does it?

We've just sold Shaw, Lallana, Lambert and Lovren - it would take a brave man to say we want to push on for certain......would make him look slightly foolish. It will take a lot of spending to even get us to the same level as last year, let alone better.

It was a realistic statement which should be read as that. Time to take any stupid Top 4 or European ambitious out of peoples head's, for now. Next season is all about consolidating.

Edited by S-Clarke

To maybe say we want to push on from last season? Saying you "maybe could" do doesn't mean you are hoping to do better does it?

Erm, yes it does.

I honestly have never heard of this guy. Not being a d1ck but is he any good?

Comes with rave reviews from the Netherlands - the best player in their league according to plenty of experts. Very impressive scoring/assist record as well. We've had a few Dutch fans come here to tell us how much they like him.

On that point actually: Dutch friends, if you're reading, how would you compare Tadic to Christian Eriksen, Kevin Strootman or other Eredivisie stars who've gone on to shine in other leagues? I assume if he was as good as Eriksen we'd have faced stiffer competition for his signature, but it would be nice to know...

We've just sold Shaw, Lallana, Lambert and Lovren - it would take a brave man to say we want to push on......would make him look slightly foolish. It will take a lot of spending to even get us to the same level as last year, let alone better.

It was a realistic statement which should be read as that. Time to take any stupid Top 4 or European ambitious out of peoples head's, for now. Next season is all about consolidating.

I actually agree with what he is saying and what you have said. But I think the point is everyone including the manager realise that finishing 8th again is very unlikely!

So does anyone know how much the fee was in the end?

Southampton have signed FC Twente's attacking midfielder Dusan Tadic for an undisclosed fee, believed to be £10.9m.

This is what I don't quite understand about the clubs wish for everything to be undisclosed, even undisclosed deals have the fee's ''understood to be...'' added to them anyway by the media! Kind of pointless! But not a bad price at all.