Dusan Tadic - DONE DEAL, official and everything

S-Clarke

Agreed, but having people who are happy to be here and want to play is a good start!

There are a few from the academy who could play well for us this year, albeit not to the same level as those that will have gone. This gives us a measure of continuity.

The problem is that that sort of strategy is what got us relegated from the championship. I can see us near the bottom next year but hope we can get through above 18th so we can build the year after.

The problem is that that sort of strategy is what got us relegated from the championship. I can see us near the bottom next year but hope we can get through above 18th so we can build the year after.

Agree with your hypo.

Assume lovren and Morgan go.

We will need 5 players just to break even. And those 5 players all won't be as good as the ones who left

And that does not start to strengthen the squad as a whole from last season

Can only see a fight to stay up

I'm not saying don't buy, I'm saying we don't need a totally new team.

Back to the topic though, I'll be concerned if Tadic doesn't happen now, and we def need a couple of decent signings and a response to Lovren's comments before the press conference on Friday.

Agree with your hypo.

We will need 5 players just to break even. And those 5 players all won't be as good as the ones who left

Would it not make more sense to wait and see who the replacements are before writing the team off for the season?

Look at the squads of the teams that finished from 9th to 17th and the three newly promoted sides, they really aren't that impressive. Even with Shaw, Lambert, Lallana, Lovren and Schnedierlin sold Saints would still have a high number of players all those clubs would love to have. It would take some appalling recruitment decisions for Saints to be in a relegation fight next season.

Agree with your hypo.

I was thinking we would be OK until I saw those quotes from lovren today. What that tells me is that morale is incredibly low, that we have had little leadership and that half of our defence is leaving or left (leaving the poorer half). We have no attack and will need to get these guys in And get them to gel in less than 6 weeks. We will struggle.

Would it not make more sense to wait and see who the replacements are before writing the team off for the season?

Look at the squads of the teams that finished from 9th to 17th and the three newly promoted sides, they really aren't that impressive. Even with Shaw, Lambert, Lallana, Lovren and Schnedierlin sold Saints would still have a high number of players all those clubs would love to have. It would take some appalling recruitment decisions for Saints to be in a relegation fight next season.

The line between a good season and a relegation fight is a very fine one

Palace did not have a good a squad as Norwich

Fulham had better players in some areas than many others

Wigan went down after winning the FA Cup.

There is more to it than a team of good players, as we found out in 2005

As it's stands, half of our defence has gone or wants out and our entire attack is not going to be available for the start of the season

This is rebuilding on a scale never really seen from a clubs outside of a Portsmouth/Leeds scenario

What a sad post that is - not a dig at you, but just seeing the acceptance of losing the spine of last years side!

The problem last year was our squad and lack of depth, when the Hoovields, Gallaghers, JWP's and the like were given extended runs in the 2nd half, we lost a lot of games. As it stands, those players will be our first choice players next season.

Obviously we'll make signings, we have to, but it's sad to see the general acceptance that we're losing half of our team.

Deal is off - Guan says he's off to everton.

Game over on this one, and questions will now start to be asked - that's for sure.

NO. It is in the balance. And he would prefer Germany over England, if any club there could afford him....

NO. It is in the balance. And he would prefer Germany over England, if any club there could afford him....

Thanks for info Guan, are you aware of any other targets other than Pelle and Tadic?

Even if you can only reveal numbers rather than names it may be of comfort!

Ed/ ignore this, just seen your thread

Edited by Plastic

If you fanny about then good targets will be lost.

Reed said ages ago players had been identifed but we seem to struggle to get anything over the line.

New board havent signed anyone in their reign yet.

Of course we struggle because looks like it has lost its ambition and lost all of its best players even if that is not the case.

I was thinking we would be OK until I saw those quotes from lovren today. What that tells me is that morale is incredibly low, that we have had little leadership and that half of our defence is leaving or left (leaving the poorer half). We have no attack and will need to get these guys in And get them to gel in less than 6 weeks. We will struggle.

This really

Its a possibility we could hit the ground running but all indications say that it will be an upward struggle regardless of the quality of incoming. Those posters saying we will be ok with 4-5 incoming were the same slamming Sunderlands excessive transfer policy last year and dooming them to failure

It's a sad day when the last season's once proud European mega giants Southampton are now being potentially beaten to the signing of a new player by tiny inconsequential minnows like Everton.

Leibherr woman out.

I'm going to do a Ralph here.......Those that are left, with the addition of good purchases and under the excellent guidance of the Koeman brothers, might well gel into a much tighter knit group than before. You show people adverse situations like this, and they can often bond incredibly well and work their socks off for each other.

But then again, it could all fall apart at the seams!

:)

This really

Its a possibility we could hit the ground running but all indications say that it will be an upward struggle regardless of the quality of incoming. Those posters saying we will be ok with 4-5 incoming were the same slamming Sunderlands excessive transfer policy last year and dooming them to failure

I didn't comment on Sunderland's pre-season last year but it is a totally different situation. Di Cannio wanted to change the squad but we have no choice, we need to bring in 6/7 players or more through no fault of own.

I didn't comment on Sunderland's pre-season last year but it is a totally different situation. Di Cannio wanted to change the squad but we have no choice, we need to bring in 6/7 players or more through no fault of own.

Regardless of how it came about its a similar situation, in fact ours is arguably worse as its not through choice but by senior players including our captain that are openly forcing moves away

It's the same, whether by choice or forced the squad gets disrupted and that has an impact.

Top priority is a centre forward - hopefully resolved by Pelle, an attacking mid hopefully resolved by Tadic, a top class GK (would love a bid for Begovic) and possibly a centre half (depending on events).

The club have got their work cut out over the next 2 months no doubt.

May well go to Everton, just like all those other players were going somewhere else before they eventually signed. According to Twitter, he has been excluded from a friendly. Make of that what you will.

Edited by pap

FC Twente Latest ‏@FCTwenteLatest 4m

According to RTV Oost journo @PaulSchabbink #FCTwente boss Alfred Schreuder just said that Dusan #Tadic is off to Southampton

Dusan Tadic's FC Twente to Southampton, England. The attacker did not count this afternoon in the exhibition game against vv Oldenzaal.

Alfred Schreuder said afterwards that Tadic did not participate to avoid. Risk of injury The coach expects the transfer will be completed within a few days. There were several clubs interested in the services of the Serbian, but the team of coach Ronald Koeman is now going to draw the longest straw.

FC Twente Latest ‏@FCTwenteLatest 4m

According to RTV Oost journo @PaulSchabbink #FCTwente boss Alfred Schreuder just said that Dusan #Tadic is off to Southampton

Dusan Tadic's FC Twente to Southampton, England. The attacker did not count this afternoon in the exhibition game against vv Oldenzaal.

Alfred Schreuder said afterwards that Tadic did not participate to avoid. Risk of injury The coach expects the transfer will be completed within a few days. There were several clubs interested in the services of the Serbian, but the team of coach Ronald Koeman is now going to draw the longest straw.

Phew, I was starting to get a bit worried there! Won't do any chicken counting until it's announced though.

West Brom are about to offer a contract to Chris Baird, imagine the meltdown on here if we did that!

West Brom are about to offer a contract to Chris Baird, imagine the meltdown on here if we did that!

Not sure what they're playing at this year to be honest. Seem to have given up competing in the PL and are building for the NPC.

Probably the same story rehashed into Serbian but thought I'd post it anyway:

Schreuder reveals: Tadic leaves for Southampton

Sunday, July 6, 2014 at 16:30

FC Twente won Sunday the first game of the new season (14-1 against vv Oldenzaal) and Dusan Tadic was the notable absentee at FC Twente. Coach Alfred Schreuder said afterwards that the attacker was not playing to avoid the risk of injury: Tadic will in fact be in the days to transfer to Southampton start to finish.

/

The 25-year-old Tadic is the first purchase of Ronald Koeman , who in the Serb sees a suitable successor for the Liverpool left Adam Lallana. There were several clubs interested in the services of Tadic, but now so Schreuder said that his star player is going to Southampton. He revealed this to RTV Oost.

It is not known what Southampton pay for Tadic, but reportedly there are about twelve million. The forward played four seasons in the Netherlands: two by two with Twente and FC Groningen. Koeman wants next Tadic also striker Graziano Pelle from among the Premier League and it is expected that his transfer will be completed next week.

If he comes I´m sure he will score + assist more than Lallana in his first PL season.

You'd hope so, Adam missed a large chunk of the season through injury and struggled thereafter. We need him to be as effective as Adam was last season.

Deal is off - Guan says he's off to everton.

Game over on this one, and questions will now start to be asked - that's for sure.

Questions like "why are you so reactionary, S-Clarke?"

Not sure what they're playing at this year to be honest. Seem to have given up competing in the PL and are building for the NPC.

Questions must be asked of their board, that's for sure! (I say with such a pretense of authority that even I now think my opinion matters...)

Edited by Beckenham Saint

It's a good start. Will have to go some way to convince me still.

feck me, I think we actually agree on something quite big at the club...

right now, we need a starting LB, Creative midfielder and striker just to bloody break even