Katharina Please Hurry Up and Sell

Junior Mullet

I think the vast majority of sensible Saints fans would prefer us to be self-sustaining, even at the risk of not breaking into the top four and competing in the Champs League.

Like everybody else, I would like to believe that the FFP rules will eventually even things out so that clubs like us can compete.

However, I am not naieve enough to think that the FFP rules will ever really hit the biggest clubs, who will continue to drive a coach and horses through them to maintain the differential between themselves and the others.

Sad but true. The top half dozen will just ignore the rules and pay the fines.

The acid test will obviously be the coming season. If we have sold the family silver and not invested wisely with the proceeds there will be a lot of told ya so's crowing. If RoKo pulls the proverbial rabbits out of the hat and we secure another top 10 finish then a fair few moist mattress munters with have egg on their mush when this post is dug up next May.

We don't need to wait until May. I think we should be upstanding and recognize Frau Leibherr and her team have been very astute in the last few months and replaced what we thought was the finest with even better. They recognised Morgan's worth and convinced him to stay. The choice of manager has been top notch based on feedback from the players. The players they brought in have gelled very quickly. The quality of football has been amazing. OK, I am the first to say that choppy waters face us in terms of fixtures in Nov to Jan, but I am full of admiration for what they have built in the last 6 months. I always said - and posted - 'let's wait and see who they bring in before judging them' but I have to say I wasn't expecting to be at this level. I was setting my own expectation at a mid table finish, 11th to 15th, but come the end of January we may be looking at better than that. Well done to the management team. :thumbup:

We don't need to wait until May. I think we should be upstanding and recognize Frau Leibherr and her team have been very astute in the last few months and replaced what we thought was the finest with even better. They recognised Morgan's worth and convinced him to stay. The choice of manager has been top notch based on feedback from the players. The players they brought in have gelled very quickly. The quality of football has been amazing. OK, I am the first to say that choppy waters face us in terms of fixtures in Nov to Jan, but I am full of admiration for what they have built in the last 6 months. I always said - and posted - 'let's wait and see who they bring in before judging them' but I have to say I wasn't expecting to be at this level. I was setting my own expectation at a mid table finish, 11th to 15th, but come the end of January we may be looking at better than that. Well done to the management team. :thumbup:

Totally agree. Just picking a couple of nuggets, I recall several posters expressing the opinion that there was no way on God's Earth that the team that started the season could be anywhere as good as the team that finished last season. Anybody who thought that it could be, was derided as a fantasist. Ditto the situation regarding Lallana. If one dared to suggest early days that Tadic appeared to be as good as Lallana, it was pointed out scornfully that Lallana was in the Premier League Team of the Year, Saints Player of the Year, the England team, etc. No way could we sign a player even fit to lace his boots, let alone one better than him.

It's still early days in the season, but it isn't too early to make valid comparisons between the players who left us and those who replaced them. Morgan has been key though and thankfully he is very happy that he stayed now and seems to be enjoying himself immensely.

What's next weeks jizz cockers revenge on a bedwetters thread.

Getting the jist of this now, bum nuggets say something dramatic and ages later some knob jockeys say you were wrong ner nerny ner ner. mean while some stroker makes itk vague as fk predictions like russell grant and get merrily noshed off by most of site.

Edited by cellone

What's next weeks jizz cockers revenge thread.

Getting the jist of this now, bum nuggets say something dramatic and ages later some knob jockeys say you were wrong ner nerny ner ner. mean while some stroker makes itk vague as fk predictions like russell grant and get merrily noshed off by most of site.

Since when is this a revenge thread?

I know there were a lot of face palm threads from the overdramatic society in the summer but I think they would be better left there. Once they have been proved wrong that's it.

What are you on about? The question is should Liebherr sell the club now that she's not planning on investing any more money, or are we happy with that strategy?

What are you on about? The question is should Liebherr sell the club now that she's not planning on investing any more money, or are we happy with that strategy?

It's a good question. I think the club can progress and we can enjoy ourselves on the self-sustaining model but it does need several ingredients to work. To name a few: first and foremost a very good manager, a great scouting network, pull (that is the ability to attract good players), excellent training facilities and coaches who can improve players and thus increase their value. At the moment we have all of those things and so I feel that we are in good hands for the time being. Arsenal have shown that it can be done.

My biggest gripe over the Summer was the way that things were handled. We'd had a very good season, played some good football and looked ready to build on that success. However, the sale of several players took place in a very short space of time with little to no warning. The likes of Morgan also felt unsettled and wanted to move (possibly j-Rod too, although I'm not sure he's ever said that publicly) which pointed to the club either lowering it's ambition or not communicating properly with the players. I was concerned that quality players would not want to join us because we were viewed by the media as a bit of joke and a sinking ship. I wouldn't say I was a bet-wetter and felt that my view was justified by a series of unprofessional incidents that had occurred since Nicola's departure. It may have been unsettling for Koeman too - we don't know. It appears however that the club stopped the rot at just the right time when they put their foot down to Morgan. Morgan's attitude since and the attitude of the other players has been top notch and I'm very proud of them. It could have been very different.

If next summer we sell top players for top prices I would be confident that we already have good replacements lined up. I will also be more confident in the knowledge that it forms part of the club's plan and that because we've been through it before it shouldn't come as a surprise to the players, club staff, supporters and player targets. I don't mind the idea of relatively unknown players using us as a springboard to bigger clubs if we get to enjoy them for a year or two and in the knowledge that it's part of a credible plan. Now, unlike Summer, we have an idea what that plan is.

Jeff, I have answered your question honestly. I hope your question wasn't a veiled dig at a fellow fan. I am a fan, not a hardcore Saintsweb user. I am enjoying the club's great start to the season as much as anyone and I'm delighted, absolutely bloody chuffed to bits that Pelle has proved me wrong too. I don't think I've seen a player adapt so significantly in such a short space of time as he has. He seems like a smart guy.

and of course, this is a thread started in late June...... when a lot of panicky people were uncertain of the future....

............a lot has happened since then. IMO ... at the present time..... selling the club, must surely be the last thing on her mind.

It's a good question. I think the club can progress and we can enjoy ourselves on the self-sustaining model but it does need several ingredients to work. To name a few: first and foremost a very good manager, a great scouting network, pull (that is the ability to attract good players), excellent training facilities and coaches who can improve players and thus increase their value. At the moment we have all of those things and so I feel that we are in good hands for the time being. Arsenal have shown that it can be done.

My biggest gripe over the Summer was the way that things were handled. We'd had a very good season, played some good football and looked ready to build on that success. However, the sale of several players took place in a very short space of time with little to no warning. The likes of Morgan also felt unsettled and wanted to move (possibly j-Rod too, although I'm not sure he's ever said that publicly) which pointed to the club either lowering it's ambition or not communicating properly with the players. I was concerned that quality players would not want to join us because we were viewed by the media as a bit of joke and a sinking ship. I wouldn't say I was a bet-wetter and felt that my view was justified by a series of unprofessional incidents that had occurred since Nicola's departure. It may have been unsettling for Koeman too - we don't know. It appears however that the club stopped the rot at just the right time when they put their foot down to Morgan. Morgan's attitude since and the attitude of the other players has been top notch and I'm very proud of them. It could have been very different.

If next summer we sell top players for top prices I would be confident that we already have good replacements lined up. I will also be more confident in the knowledge that it forms part of the club's plan and that because we've been through it before it shouldn't come as a surprise to the players, club staff, supporters and player targets. I don't mind the idea of relatively unknown players using us as a springboard to bigger clubs if we get to enjoy them for a year or two and in the knowledge that it's part of a credible plan. Now, unlike Summer, we have an idea what that plan is.

Jeff, I have answered your question honestly. I hope your question wasn't a veiled dig at a fellow fan. I am a fan, not a hardcore Saintsweb user. I am enjoying the club's great start to the season as much as anyone and I'm delighted, absolutely bloody chuffed to bits that Pelle has proved me wrong too. I don't think I've seen a player adapt so significantly in such a short space of time as he has. He seems like a smart guy.

That's a great answer. Can't disagree with any of that really.

It is a very clever asset strip. She has lulled us into a false sense of security by reinvesting most of the money raised - maybe she sees the asset strip as the new five year project.

You dont get to be a billionariess by not being clever. Skimming £30m a year over 5 years is the way to fool everyone.

You dont get to be a billionariess by not being clever. Skimming £30m a year over 5 years is the way to fool everyone.

Also, in fiscal 2013, she put in nearly 40 million pounds so I doubt that she plans to skim 30 million a year.