How many players will we have to buy?

Deanovski

I've assessed this based on near guarantees to fill the slots and minimise the Osvaldo factor. i.e. how much we need to spend to guarantee staying where we are. We could get lucky with some bargain basement players, but then you get what you pay for.

We didn't with Osvaldo and to date Ramirez. Yet looks at the likes of Lambert, Schneiderlin, Cork and Steven Davis, arguably some of our best players over the past two seasons.

Edited by saint_ed

Sorry but that's crazy.

For a start there is no way we need 5 new midfielder's. So far we have only lost Lallana (today) and potentially Schneiderlin. There is no way the club is going to block the path for Reed and JWP, particularly when we still have Wanyama, Cork and Davis. As I posted above, the answer in this question lies in the system we intend to play. I would suggest we need 1xAM (Tadic). If we play the system I set out above then I think we will see a different Ramirez.

The fees for each position are so inflated, unless we plan to only buy English players.

It IS crazy, but you have forgotten we've also lost Guly. We need a couple of midfielders to replace Guly and Lallana, plus maybe another one to replace Schneiderlin. So 2... at the moment. I'm hopeful that we'll bring Sims through to replace Lallana, but it's a big leap and he'll need an experienced left back behind him.

We didn't with Osvaldo and to date Ramirez. Yet looks at the likes of Larmbert, Schneiderlin, Cork and Steven Davis, arguably some of our best players over the past two seasons.

I agree you you on Davis et al. But even with them to finish the season last year we were short of impact substitutes like Puncheon. This sees us through the season and should keep us around 8th or above. And it demonstrates clearly that you cant replace players you know can deliver each week. This also demonstrates the reason MoPo said he was leaving.

The spending plan I've put in provides the depth of squad to finish the league strongly ie 8th or better. It's whole season not start of the season based.

I hope Koeman is a genius, he hasn't got enough money to guarantee success, so it's down to him.

Edited by SaintRobbie

It IS crazy, but you have forgotten we've also lost Guly. We need a couple of midfielders to replace Guly and Lallana, plus maybe another one to replace Schneiderlin. So 2... at the moment. I'm hopeful that we'll bring Sims through to replace Lallana, but it's a big leap and he'll need an experienced left back behind him.

I agree we need to improve the depth of our squad, but definitely not to the tune of £150 million. Lets not forget Sam McQueen, the club would not have given him a new 4 year deal if he wasn't close to breaking through.

I agree you you on Davis et al. But even with them to finish the season last year we were short of impact substitutes like Puncheon. This sees us through the season and should keep us around 8th or above. And it demonstrates clearly that you cant replace players you know can deliver each week. This also demonstrates the reason MoPo said he was leaving.

I hope Koeman is a genius.

I do agree we are missing impact off the bench.

If anyone thinks we will spend more than £25-30m this window, they're in cloud cuckoo land. Why do you think Koeman has been brought in if not to promote the youth into the 1st team?

Right now we've got ~£52m for our first choice left-back, attacking midfielder, and striker. It is suggested that £18m of that will be spent on a new attacking midfielder and striker. There is no way we'll spend £34m on a new left back (I would suggest £5m max on one). So that would be £52m out and £23m spent. Leaving a delta of ~£29m. Remind me, what was the transfer debt going into the summer again...

I've assessed this based on near guarantees to fill the slots and minimise the Osvaldo factor. i.e. how much we need to spend to guarantee staying where we are.

We could get lucky with some bargain basement players, but then you get what you pay for.

Also, every replacement player is under the value of our sales and potential sales.

Some very good players -just don't want to stay with their present club - and /or are out of contract and won't re-sign.......So with no transfer fee, then it's just a matter of agreeing personal terms.

Right now we've got ~£52m for our first choice left-back' date=' attacking midfielder, and striker. It is suggested that £18m of that will be spent on a new attacking midfielder and striker. There is no way we'll spend £34m on a new left back (I would suggest £5m max on one). So that would be £52m out and £23m spent. Leaving a delta of ~£29m. Remind me, what was the transfer debt going into the summer again...[/quote']

Also. We have £50m in Premier League money supposedly to add to any transfer kitty we have from sales.

Going to interesting when we add up how much Koeman has been allowed to spend on 1 Sep.

• 2 weeks later...

Having two new players already in (presumably to replace lambert and lallana), how many more do we expect to sign? With both our signings just about paid for by lallana's transfer, we still have the money from shaw's move, which I'm hoping will cover for a new first choice LB and preferably one more quality signing in the front attacking 3 (as cover for jrod).

As of now, I'm confident of Schneiderlin staying (going by koeman's press conference), Lovren is still a maybe and should he go, it should be relatively straightforward using his transfer fee to get in a new CB.

Do people believe that we still have money to spend outside of our incoming transfer fees? If so, I feel the remaining transfer budget should go to improving the depth of the squad (i.e GK, CB).

Anyone has more ambitious plans?

I'd expect a keeper at some point, ideally a good young backup to Boruc.

Replacement centre back if lovren or fonte go.

A left back with targett acting as backup

Replacement centre mid if Morgan goes otherwise not.

Cover for Jrod while he's out.

Replacement for osvaldo if he leaves.

Counting the current 2 signings I'd say between 5-8.