Koeman makes his mark - nice one

alpine_saint

All sounds fair enough, I think that we can lean towards them not being the best of friends any more.

Koeman is said to have had problems with players from time to time in the past, no doubt he's moved on from then so we can only really wait and see.

I admire what Koeman has done but the pessimist inside me just thinks that this will make these clubs try and sign them earlier before they sign pro contracts, telling them that if they sign for us we'll price them out of the market. Would Shaw have signed a pro contract if he knew we'd place such a high price on his head, potentially ruling him out of a move, especially when you have the likes of man u trying to get them to sign for them

I admire what Koeman has done but the pessimist inside me just thinks that this will make these clubs try and sign them earlier before they sign pro contracts, telling them that if they sign for us we'll price them out of the market. Would Shaw have signed a pro contract if he knew we'd place such a high price on his head, potentially ruling him out of a move, especially when you have the likes of man u trying to get them to sign for them

That already happens (see half of Chelsea's U21 Squad and their loanees), this is good for a club like ours, players know if they sign pro forms they are likely to play, and get chances in the Premier League and at International level. Otherwise they are welcome to become the next Chelsea/ City/ United/ Arsenal "prospect". If I was them (or more importantly their parent) I'd know what I' recommend if faced with the option.

The new Elite Academy rules are design precisely to support the big teams stockpiling kids and controlling their development and contract status, because the only thing they couldn't previously control was other clubs investing relatively small sums into developing their own talent and competing with them that way.

I've no idea why Shaw would be worried about us pricing out of a move, had he been at Chelsea to begin with he'd be nowhere near the first team yet. It's one of the reasons the English talent pool is so diluted, a bunch of kids playing in reserve and youth teams instead of getting top level experience - and of course the ridiculous new "B Team" plan just delivers this even more. For as long as the Premier League is hostage to the top clubs for its branding and they are driving the agenda, it'll be (big) club before country all the way, with the impact being what's currently happening to England.

Edited by The9

That already happens (see half of Chelsea's U21 Squad and their loanees), this is good for a club like ours, players know if they sign pro forms they are likely to play, and get chances in the Premier League and at International level. Otherwise they are welcome to become the next Chelsea/ City/ United/ Arsenal "prospect". If I was them (or more importantly their parent) I'd know what I' recommend if faced with the option.

Excellent point, in that respect having Jack Cork at Saints may also serve to educate them about the dangers of going to a "big club" too soon (although he was always at Chelsea). he was the next big thing at Chelsea for years but never playing for them and instead being loaned out for 6 years before he was then sold to a Championship side for £1m and had to get back to the Prem with them. A cautionary tale of sorts for the young prospects...

Excellent point, in that respect having Jack Cork at Saints may also serve to educate them about the dangers of going to a "big club" too soon (although he was always at Chelsea). he was the next big thing at Chelsea for years but never playing for them and instead being loaned out for 6 years before he was then sold to a Championship side for £1m and had to get back to the Prem with them. A cautionary tale of sorts for the young prospects...

Oh I don't know, whilst they're getting their Chelsea pay and a game now and then with a Chelsea reserve set up like Vitesse Arnhem what's not to like. Cork was always loaned out anyway, got the best of both worlds, Chelsea money and regular football even though he wasn't good enough to get into their side.

Anyway I see that Gerrard is now saying that we give young players too much money too soon, perhaps he should tell that to Liverpool then.

Oh I don't know, whilst they're getting their Chelsea pay and a game now and then with a Chelsea reserve set up like Vitesse Arnhem what's not to like. Cork was always loaned out anyway, got the best of both worlds, Chelsea money and regular football even though he wasn't good enough to get into their side.

Anyway I see that Gerrard is now saying that we give young players too much money too soon, perhaps he should tell that to Liverpool then.

True, reminds of the Twitter #AskJose Chelsea did where Mourinho got trolled by fans of other clubs. My favourite was "Do you ever get a babysitter or do you just loan your children to Vitesse when you and your wife aren't around?"

Why are they vultures? Are we a dying club?[/quote

No Jez, I'm afraid you've missed the point. It's precisely because the possibility that we might be dying immediately after the last match of the season when there appeared to be no fight back for at least two weeks has proved to be wrong. Dying we are not, as indicated by the appointment of Koeman. So the vultures who have been openly talking to the press about picking off our bones can begin to understand that we are bouncing back. Those that hang around might find they get bitten.

You would think that when Ronko (sorry) signed that he would have been promised that at least one of Lalanna/Shaw Lovren will stay, to loose all three would be practically insane! or do you think thats not the case and all three could go? ....... thats like ripping the spine out of your team

You would think that when Ronko (sorry) signed that he would have been promised that at least one of Lalanna/Shaw Lovren will stay, to loose all three would be practically insane! or do you think thats not the case and all three could go? ....... thats like ripping the spine out of your team

Does he not have the final word on who stays and who goes ?

If you want to keep a player, you say he's NOT for sale ... that would be a Statement Of Intent

With financial fair play, getting £40m would be a huge benefit to the club, however much we have.

Does turning down very large bids already fit in with your previous negative views of a fire sale and club not being ambitious?

With financial fair play, getting £40m would be a huge benefit to the club, however much we have.

Does turning down very large bids already fit in with your previous negative views of a fire sale and club not being ambitious?

Whether or not we continue to turn down very large bids remains to be seen

Yes, getting £40 M would be good for any club

My point was that if we put a price tag on a player, then he is for sale. So we are no better or worse than any other club in that respect

But, it is not the same as the spiel about "we want to keep hold of our best players" is it

If they really wanted that, then "He's not for sale" would be the thing to say.

He becomes great when he achieves something at a higher leevel. For all his potentail he still has little end product in the last third. If he adds that to his game consistantly and wins things then we can start calling him great.

So Matt Le Tissier was not great? Do you really think that he can only be a 'great' player if he wins things? There have been many great players who achieved 'greatness' playing for lesser teams who did not win much. I realise the it is now easier to reach that level playing for a big team but the door isn't closed to all others as we have seen with the England team selection.