England vs Costa Rica

nta786

This. Lord knows why Lallana was taken off, we pretty much stopped creating afterwards. And why Ricky didn't get at least 20 minutes in this game I'll never know, especially as Sturridge was having a bit of a stinker.

I note the Ian Wright and Hoddle couldn't believe Lallana being subbed either. TBH if I was Adam I'd be hoping Hoddle got another bite of the England cherry, he'd be a shoe in to start.

We seem to have an issue with silky, technical players. The obsession over work horses who run and run into blind alleys is in full swing, it seems.

This. Lord knows why Lallana was taken off, we pretty much stopped creating afterwards. And why Ricky didn't get at least 20 minutes in this game I'll never know, especially as Sturridge was having a bit of a stinker.

I note the Ian Wright and Hoddle couldn't believe Lallana being subbed either. TBH if I was Adam I'd be hoping Hoddle got another bite of the England cherry, he'd be a shoe in to start.

To be fair, Hoddle has always appreciated class players and shows more tactical insight than most of the TV commentators. Mind you, don't tell the vocal minority that blocked his appointment as Saints manager in 2004 and who probably cannot understand why Sturrock is not offering his views or indeed is England manager.

Lallana was getting more and more of the ball, I wouldn't be surprised if Woy took him off to save his own embarrassment at the previous two games team selections.

I fail to see the point in bringing on Gerrard and Rooney at the end, if the idea was to prepare our young players for the next tournament it makes no sense.

Seems Cesare Prandelli is doing the right thing and taking the blame for Italy not getting through the group stages Woy take note.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28009818

We need to get a younger more modern thinking England manager ...though trying to think of a young(ish) English manager that the press and fans would accept is taxing my brain somewhat...............Nigel Adkins maybe

Seems Cesare Prandelli is doing the right thing and taking the blame for Italy not getting through the group stages Woy take note.

We need to get a younger more modern thinking England manager ...though trying to think of a young(ish) English manager that the press and fans would accept is taxing my brain somewhat...............Nigel Adkins maybe

there is no way on earth the press (or anyone outside of this forum) would recommend, or be happy with adkins

gary neville for me. Or even with hoddle

:lol:

there is no way on earth the press (or anyone outside of this forum) would recommend, or be happy with adkins

gary neville for me. Or even with hoddle

Neville maybe though he's never managed has he? Hoddle is another dinosaur of the old style IMO. My point about Adkins is what young current footballing generation English managers (I know the England manager doesn't have to be English but I'd prefer it) can you think of that could be England manager ? In the PL I think Pardew is the only Englishman in management isn't he?

Neville maybe though he's never managed has he? Hoddle is another dinosaur of the old style IMO. My point about Adkins is what young current footballing generation English managers (I know the England manager doesn't have to be English but I'd prefer it) can you think of that could be England manager ? In the PL I think Pardew is the only Englishman in management isn't he?

adkins

lol

dyche would be way ahead of him

adkins

lol

dyche would be way ahead of him

Ok So you think Sean Dyche could be England manager? Actually Nigel Pearson is English isn't he so discounting Redknapp as to old we've got Pearson, Dyche and Pardew as English managers in the PL I guess the next England manager will be a foreigner then.:frown:

Edited by doddisalegend

To be fair, Hoddle has always appreciated class players and shows more tactical insight than most of the TV commentators. Mind you, don't tell the vocal minority that blocked his appointment as Saints manager in 2004 and who probably cannot understand why Sturrock is not offering his views or indeed is England manager.

Really? Tell that to Matthew Le Tissier.

Hey I said maybe:p Give me a list of up coming English Managers that could be England manager I can't think of any?

Why does the manager have to be English? Wouldn't want some patrician figure like Capello or a louche journeyman like Svven but that still leaves plenty of foreign options. Think someone like Klinsmann could do a decent job.

That would include several senior people in the football world. Before he was sacked by us his name was in the frame as an up and coming manager. That was before Cortese had other ideas though.

up and coming manager? that is miles from being an england level manager.

paul jewell was an up and coming manager once

so was mick mccarthy

how up and coming was he at reading. The only relegated club not to make the playoffs last season

so was mick mccarthy

how up and coming was he at reading. The only relegated club not to make the playoffs last season

I really dont know why you have it in for Adkins. He did a brilliant job for us and I am sure he will do well in the future. Mind you, you are now trying to tell us what a great manager Sven was for England so I guess that says it all.

I really dont know why you have it in for Adkins. He did a brilliant job for us and I am sure he will do well in the future. Mind you, you are now trying to tell us what a great manager Sven was for England so I guess that says it all.

I dont have it in for him Just dont think he is the next big thing.

sven did a good job for england, clearly, when now getting out of a group is seen as a result.....

Why does the manager have to be English? Wouldn't want some patrician figure like Capello or a louche journeyman like Svven but that still leaves plenty of foreign options. Think someone like Klinsmann could do a decent job.

Well clearly he doesn't but personally I'd like to see an Englishman manage England, foreign managers at club level doesn't bother me especially when club sides are so multi-national, but I just feel my country should be managed by a fellow countryman.

Well clearly he doesn't but personally I'd like to see an Englishman manage England, foreign managers at club level doesn't bother me especially when club sides are so multi-national, but I just feel my country should be managed by a fellow countryman.

Maybe it should be a reality TV style vote. We all get to vote on the formation, then on each player to start each possition before the match. During the game we can all vote for subs and if a certain number of votes is reached, the sub is made.

Presented by Davina McCall, calls cost £1.25 per minute plus your standard network fees.

Maybe it should be a reality TV style vote. We all get to vote on the formation, then on each player to start each possition before the match. During the game we can all vote for subs and if a certain number of votes is reached, the sub is made.

Presented by Davina McCall, calls cost £1.25 per minute plus your standard network fees.

Like it. Maybe X-factor style team selection anyone (English) can audition for a place in the team.

Why did Gerard go on . Is he really the manager. Seems to have a lot to say for himself .

I hope SRL realises he might not get many games a Liverpool and will be way down the pecking order

Thought about that. Must have dawned on Ricky, sat on the bench when England desperately needed a forward to hold up the ball or be clinical. That could be his footballing life now watching on, knowing he could influence things, not getting the chance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That would include several senior people in the football world. Before he was sacked by us his name was in the frame as an up and coming manager. That was before Cortese had other ideas though.

so was mick mccarthy

SOG is right, there was a lot of talk about Adkins being in the frame, and not just on here. That was long before he got sacked or went to Reading. Young up-and-coming English manager, two back to back promotions, etc.

SOG is right, there was a lot of talk about Adkins being in the frame, and not just on here. That was long before he got sacked or went to Reading. Young up-and-coming English manager, two back to back promotions, etc.

in the frame for what?

he has achieved as much a paul jewell, paul lambert, mick mccarthy, steve bruce (less than bruce to be fair)

where are these reports than he is on the road for the national job?

Thought about that. Must have dawned on Ricky, sat on the bench when England desperately needed a forward to hold up the ball or be clinical. That could be his footballing life now watching on, knowing he could influence things, not getting the chance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Oh I don't know.....thanks to Suarez he might get the chance to be a regular starter at Anfield :-P

Roy has said that he is delighted to give the fans something to cheer about. It was a dominating performance today and the defence was very good. Very happy with the performance

I was happy for him to stay but if that's the standard he's setting then please, please get rid.

Was there a single Englishman cheering the performance or result day? Other than Hodgson, obviously.

I don't mind him staying if he's going to play progressive football. But those players in the last week or two can't make a ten yard pass and have no ideas. It's embarrassing. Whether that's the talent of the player or what they're told to do I don't know, but it's not good enough.

Lallana is the most gifted, natural left sided midfielder available. He did well in that position leading up to the WC, I was staggered Woy played Rooney there first game. Following that stupid decision the WC went precisely the way you might expect for England. Hodgson is now making himself look an idiot with his final game tactics and substitutions, and his comments about the Costa Rica performance, the tournament as a whole and Gerrard and Lampards England futures. Get rid of the old fool.

He's a nice intelligent man and a good ambassador for England but at the end of the day he's a loser. There's one compelling reason for keeping him. There's no obvious alternative.

All English managers have been losers except Alf Ramsey. Do we sack a manager every time they lose? Roy (not Woy) Hodgson is presiding over a period of change and I dont think anyone thought it would be a cake walk to get out of this group. Did anyone foresee Costa Rica heading the group? Better teams are also going home at this stage. He has a lot of work to do and I am sure he knows that. Who should we have instead? Redknapp? Pochettino?

He's a nice intelligent man and a good ambassador for England but at the end of the day he's a loser. There's one compelling reason for keeping him. There's no obvious alternative.

As was Sir Bobby Robson after Euro 88'. The headline after a friendly draw with Saudi Arabia: "In the name of Allah, Go!"

My strategy for a World Cup competing team before I die.

> Futsal de salao should be coached in all schools from age 5, make kids comfortable in possession.

> The footy season for kids should be moved to the summer, play football without ankle deep mud.

> The FA should halve the cost of the UEFA B license, increase the supply of coaches.

> The managers of the England development teams promoted on merit, not old boy network.

> Selection to the first XI is dependent on performance in development teams NOT the premiership, stop clubs blocking international availability.

> All the development teams must play the same way, with the same plan A's, B's and C's.

We need to take all the development tournament seriously, and play to win them.

My strategy for a World Cup competing team before I die.

> Futsal de salao should be coached in all schools from age 5, make kids comfortable in possession.

> The footy season for kids should be moved to the summer, play football without ankle deep mud.

> The FA should halve the cost of the UEFA B license, increase the supply of coaches.

> The managers of the England development teams promoted on merit, not old boy network.

> Selection to the first XI is dependent on performance in development teams NOT the premiership, stop clubs blocking international availability.

> All the development teams must play the same way, with the same plan A's, B's and C's.

We need to take all the development tournament seriously, and play to win them.

I would also remove competitive and league football for under 12's. It puts too big a focus on winning rather then development of talent. As players develop at different rates the tall, strong, quick lads displace the slighter kids who may have more potential. The competitive nature of coaches (often enthusiastic Dads, who mean well but are not always the right ones to educate) can take over and disadvantage the lad's longer term development.

I really don't get why Hodgson gets to keep his job after getting 1 point in a group where we were favourites to progress. Losing 66% of your games is sackable, I would have thought.

We were favourites above Uruguay and Italy??? Both are above us in the World rankings. This was a tough group and both Uruguay and Italy struggled. It wasnt Hodgson's falut that Sturridge and Rooney missed their chances. With better finishing we would have gone through.

We were favourites above Uruguay and Italy??? Both are above us in the World rankings. This was a tough group and both Uruguay and Italy struggled. It wasnt Hodgson's falut that Sturridge and Rooney missed their chances. With better finishing we would have gone through.

Indeed, I made England 3rd favourites for that group and thus likely eliminees. Basically the fault lies with English football for not being able to provide a first rate striker capable of scoring goals against locked defences.

Indeed, I made England 3rd favourites for that group and thus likely eliminees. Basically the fault lies with English football for not being able to provide a first rate striker capable of scoring goals against locked defences.

As you say, you have to take whatever chance comes your way and two tap-ins wasnt good enough. We also went into the comepetion with a B List defence meaning that we had to score 2 or 3 to be sure of something from the matches.

All English managers have been losers except Alf Ramsey. Do we sack a manager every time they lose? Roy (not Woy) Hodgson is presiding over a period of change and I dont think anyone thought it would be a cake walk to get out of this group. Did anyone foresee Costa Rica heading the group? Better teams are also going home at this stage. He has a lot of work to do and I am sure he knows that. Who should we have instead? Redknapp? Pochettino?

I'll answer each of your points in turn.

Do we sack a Manager every time he loses? Of course not. The team showed promise against Italy but it was the manner of the next two performances which bothered me. No discernible pattern or tactics that I could see. Granted, individual performances were below par but I saw a lot of tension in the players who appeared inhibited, at a WC where for the first time that I can remember there were realistic expectations from media and fans.

Hodgson is presiding over a period of change. He's been in post for 2 years. Change is a constant.

Tough Group? Agreed. It was tough for all the teams. Two went through, including the unfancied CR and two didn't go through including England. There are other tough groups.

Better teams than England are going home. So what?

Who should we have instead, Redknapp etc? As I said, there's no obvious alternative to Roy. If there were, I believe the FA would have been much less inclined to keep him.

That squad was good enough to get out of the group. It didn't and I think that was down in large part to team selection, tactics, and lack of motivation. Think Suarez. How much did he want to beat England?

Then there are Roy's comments after last nights match...I'll stop there.

As was Sir Bobby Robson after Euro 88'. The headline after a friendly draw with Saudi Arabia: "In the name of Allah, Go!"

I don't read the Sun but point taken. He went on to do rather well 2 years later but it's not particularly instructive to make glib comparisons across time. Drawing a friendly with Saudi Arabia is hardly comparable with a WC.