England vs Costa Rica

nta786

Guarantee our team of "fringe", "lesser" players goes out and destroys Costa Rica now playing with passion, flair and attacking intent.

Can't read too much into any result or performance as Costa Rica have already qualified and will likely rest some of their better players and take a look at some on the fringe too.

Can't read too much into any result or performance as Costa Rica have already qualified and will likely rest some of their better players and take a look at some on the fringe too.

I suppose it depends if they prefer playing Colombia or CIV.

Do you know, I honestly believe that if we had the 10 best outfielders in the world, Roy would put Rooney in goal as he has to play him.

I would say come on boys, play for pride of representing your country, but half that team have none.

Drop Rooney and Gerrard. To those that say that Rooney was almost our saviour against Uraguay, I say that he should ahve sunk HALF of the chances he was given, and 2 of them I feel Rickie would have done.

**** them. Give the youth a chance, and those that haven't played and lets have some fun, and really look to punish Costa Rica.

Although, based on their last few performances, I wouldn't rate them to beat Costa Coffee :lol:

Is this even worth a thread?

Anyways, I say experiment this game. We have nothing to lose anyway...

So that means, the usual back 4 except Shaw instead of Baines.

Even though it would probably backfire horribly, anything to see that **** Gerrard whos only gone to Brazil to tap our players up, just put Henderson and Wilshere as our holding midfielders.

The 3 behind the striker should be Sterling and Oxlade down the wings and Lallana as the number 10 (though Barkley if we're going on the theme of youth)

And finally have Sturridge up top.

Make Lallana captain- as Gerrard showed, even he has been a shocking captain- sending Jagielka down for the post match interview and hiding away when it has all been his fault.

Having written on that, no doubt we will have the usual suspects in Gerrard, and Rooney and Welbeck up top.

:lol:

Ive never read so much crap in my life, had a few did we ?

Playing Baines at right back would be an improvement and I don't think he can kick with his right foot.

good one krissy and so true

Just read the Telegraph. How the fork can Roy even think of starting with Foster, Jones, Lampard and Milner FFS in the side. We are a complete laughing stock in this tournament. Takes all the gloss off Shaw and Lalla starting the game.

Oh yer , 2 - 1 to the Costa.

Don't see why we couldn't hold this lot to a draw now they have nothing to play for. If we could grab a 0-0 it would at least give the fans something to cheer.

Christ how low can we get .... cheering a 0-0 draw against the supposedly whipping boys of our group!!

I'm afraid even a 5-0 battering wouldn't get me very excited unless the goals came from a SRL hattrick, a AL screamer and an amazing lung bursting box to box run and culer into the top corner by Luke.

Sadly though it would probably depress me even more, knowing what could have been!!

Don't see why we couldn't hold this lot to a draw now they have nothing to play for. If we could grab a 0-0 it would at least give the fans something to cheer.

So avoiding a group winner in the next round isn't somthing to play for then, if they should lose to England and Uruguay or Italy beat the other handsomely CRC could find themselves second and up against say Colombia...not sure that they'd want that to happen.

Christ how low can we get .... cheering a 0-0 draw against the supposedly whipping boys of our group!!

I'm afraid even a 5-0 battering wouldn't get me very excited unless the goals came from a SRL hattrick, a AL screamer and an amazing lung bursting box to box run and culer into the top corner by Luke.

Sadly though it would probably depress me even more, knowing what could have been!!

This has been a debacle from start to finish, and if I had to put my finger on one thing in particular, it was Roy's half-measures. I'm sure he knows that we need a revival of the team. Everything leading up to the World Cup suggested that was beginning to happen. Unfortunately, that's as far as it got. For whatever reason, we seemed to conjure the worst possible alchemy from the youngsters. Didn't put enough faith in them, didn't put them in at the right times and crucially, didn't drop players that are counter-productive in an England shirt, whatever they're doing for their clubs.

Rooney and Gerrard are the natural scapegoats. Rooney's got one finals goal from all his visits. I agree with Scholes; he's past his peak now - and to me, gives the impression of someone who needs to be visible, rather than effective. That's poison to any team. Ronaldo is a look-at-me bastard, but then, he's Ronaldo. How many others can justifiably get away with that? He's off the back of Manchester United's worst season, and even though he was a bright spark in a dark, dark season - the culture of winning has gone at Manchester United.

Gerrard has been a hell of a player over his career. The FA Cup and Champions League finals were probably his best performances. Grabbing his team by the scruff of the neck, setting both the example and the course of the game. Those days are long gone, and though it's too much to blame either of them for all England's myriad ills, you can't take on passengers and expect to drive the bus to World Cup Glory Plaza. Both of them have been.

Maybe after Dyke's pronouncements and guarantee of Hodgson's job for a full four year cycle, Roy felt it was better to crash out of the World Cup using the safe option, justifiably being able to drop big names in the aftermath. Even if that wasn't in his thinking, I hope it is now.

Maybe after Dyke's pronouncements and guarantee of Hodgson's job for a full four year cycle, Roy felt it was better to crash out of the World Cup using the safe option, justifiably being able to drop big names in the aftermath.

Is there anything you can't retro - fit a bonkers conspiracy to?

Call me a mindless brain-washed sheeple person but I kinda reckon Roy Hodgson was trying to do well in this world cup, not pick players he didn't like purely to justify dropping them for a games against San Marino and Switzerland in three months time.

Is there anything you can't retro - fit a bonkers conspiracy to?

Call me a mindless brain-washed sheeple person but I kinda reckon Roy Hodgson was trying to do well in this world cup, not pick players he didn't like purely to justify dropping them for a games against San Marino and Switzerland in three months time.

Where's the conspiracy? Wouldn't we need Roy and at least one other?

Top tip. Derive the meaning of words before using them.

Foster.

Jones. Cahill. Smalling. Shaw.

Wilshere, Lampard.

Milner. Barkley. Lallana.

Sturridge.

Confirmed on 5Live.

ITV have just posted on the right Smalling next to Jones, covered by Milner and Super Frank.......... Shaw is going to be bored to tears as Costa Rica pile down our right.

Just seen this.

Nice to see our 2 Southampton boys starting but why no Lambert? Pretty much everyone else is getting a go. I really hope he gets a decent run in the 2nd half.

Not sure why you are so worried as to why a Liverpool player starts or not.

Where's the conspiracy? Wouldn't we need Roy and at least one other?

Top tip. Derive the meaning of words before using them.

Potato, potarto.

Roy picking players he didn't really want to pick purely to give himself a reason to drop them for qualifying matches three months later on. Call it what you want, I call it your usual nonsense.

You are incapable of accepting the idea that some stuff just kinda happens, so desperate is your need to see some higher, nefarious purpose at play in everything.

I reckon Roy wanted to do well at this world cup, it's a shame you can't even accept that.

And, nice try talking down to me about understanding the meaning of words. Just remember which one of us is the conspiro-idiot simpleton. Stick to your brilliant "resource" forum.

Potato, potarto.

Roy picking players he didn't really want to pick purely to give himself a reason to drop them for qualifying matches three months later on. Call it what you want, I call it your usual nonsense.

You are incapable of accepting the idea that some stuff just kinda happens, so desperate is your need to see some higher, nefarious purpose at play in everything.

I reckon Roy wanted to do well at this world cup, it's a shame you can't even accept that.

And, nice try talking down to me about understanding the meaning of words. Just remember which one of us is the conspiro-idiot simpleton. Stick to your brilliant "resource" forum.

Have you ever considered playing with yourself as an alternative to this sort of caper? [1]

I mean, the post you're getting so animated about was pretty well laid out in context. The decline of two "undroppable" players, Greg Dyke's comments, which I didn't qualify, but he wrote off our chances in 2014, guaranteed Hodgson's tenure post WC come what may and said that the target is to win it in 2022.

You reckon we'll be enlisting a 42 year old Stevie G as a deeper holding player with a limper Hollywood ball? Will Rooney have refined his huff and puff act to the point where it's simply effortless at 36?

Neither Rooney nor Gerrard will have any part in the 2022 target, but the ludicrous state of the media and punditry in this country meant that if Roy had rolled the dice on the kids in place of our undroppables in our opening games and lost, he'd have been pressured out of a job in the aftermath.

If every cloud has a silver lining, this is the opportunity to press the reset button on the England team and start putting together the spine and style for a serious challenge eight years from now. Hodgson can drop who he wants now, I reckon. If you want to foam off at the mouth because you reckon he never considered that outcome up front in a time of zero expectation and total job security, be my guest.

[1] if equipment not found in usual bay, methodically check scalp.

Have you ever considered playing with yourself as an alternative to this sort of caper? [1]

I mean, the post you're getting so animated about was pretty well laid out in context. The decline of two "undroppable" players, Greg Dyke's comments, which I didn't qualify, but he wrote off our chances in 2014, guaranteed Hodgson's tenure post WC come what may and said that the target is to win it in 2022.

You reckon we'll be enlisting a 42 year old Stevie G as a deeper holding player with a limper Hollywood ball? Will Rooney have refined his huff and puff act to the point where it's simply effortless at 36?

Neither Rooney nor Gerrard will have any part in the 2022 target, but the ludicrous state of the media and punditry in this country meant that if Roy had rolled the dice on the kids in place of our undroppables in our opening games and lost, he'd have been pressured out of a job in the aftermath.

If every cloud has a silver lining, this is the opportunity to press the reset button on the England team and start putting together the spine and style for a serious challenge eight years from now. Hodgson can drop who he wants now, I reckon. If you want to foam off at the mouth because you reckon he never considered that outcome up front in a time of zero expectation and total job security, be my guest.

[1] if equipment not found in usual bay, methodically check scalp.

Fact of the matter is Rooney had a much better game against Uraguay then agai st Italy (in which he was v poor) and Gerrard was ultimately poor as Hodgson put too much pressure on him IMO.

Now, Ill hold my hands up and say Ive always been a huge Gerrard fan, but in reality he is past it as the force he once was, the problem however is we dont really have the personel to replace him. Realistically though Roy got his tactics wrong in my opinion, twice allowed our midfield to be overrun when it should have been a 433 and possibly is to blame for attempting to shoehorn Rooney into the team (difficult choice considering he has moments of brilliance) I for one am not completely enamored with Sturridge either if Im honest, greedy and wasteful he just doesnt effect a game enough.

Why when employing Sterling on the left he didnt instruct him to go wide against a Uraguay that stayed compact is baffling aswell, the goal came from pace out wide, a rare moment that we got in behind. The midfield was too disjointed for us to attack their core, Gerrard and Hendo were overrun and couldnt support and the quartet were choked for space. The lack of room that Sterling got to run at people only begged the question of why Lallana wasnt employed to operate in the tight spaces ? Or simply use Sterlings pace to go wide ?

The last game lineup is just as confusing, a game of sentiment if you will. Crazy. The team on paper looks very much one that is lacking discipline in the correct areas and Sterling up top ? England playing a false nine ? For me he realises that we may lose all three games, so might as well drop the big guns (cough underperformers) and deflect blame. With Smalling down the right we are in serious trouble, how he has got on the plane is baffling.

England arent good enough basically, neither the players or the tactics

Let's see if Luke can cut it on... " the World stage ".

He may end up becoming the new England no.3 (?) A lot of "who-hah " when he was chosen ahead of Ashley Cole, but having watched Baines for two matches, I'm not convinced he's the real thing, either.

Go for it Luke, even if it's your last game as a Saint.

No-one seems to have said it for fear of nepotism I guess but dropping Lallana for the first two group games was a terrible mistake. He is arguably the only player we have that can hold the ball under pressure, and create space and opportunities operating between the midfield and attack. Without him England created little and folded under pressure. Roy will have a few sleepless nights over the course of next season as Lallana becomes one of the stand out Premier League midfielders and establishes himself firmly as an England midfield general. Wasted opportunity in Brazil Roy, wasted opportunity.

Incredible to think that given the opportunity to play in a competitive match with nothing to lose at a World Cup, Hodgson decides to play Smalling, who should be nowhere near an international squad based on previous performances. Phil Jones you can at least make a weak case for. Picking Milner makes no sense either, he's already had the experience.

Even accepting the wish to give people a run out (which is by no means definitely the right thing to do) it's a weird selection. It should be a team of fringe players who haven't had a chance before and might go on to become regulars, without established players in the positions where there are possible replacements, and maybe there's a case for putting Lampard in for a goodbye.

My team would be

Foster/Forster (half each)

Johnson (because Smalling is even worse and not improving and there's no other option)

P Jones (he at least may improve)

Cahill (because one of the CBs has to play and I wouldn't have Smalling near the team)

Shaw

Wilshere

Henderson (readily accept this is not a good DM pairing at the moment, but short of picking Gerrard again, there's only Phil Jones, and he's needed at the back).

Lallana

Barkley

Sterling

Lambert (accept this is arguable given his longer-term upside but what's the benefit of Sturridge/Welbeck/Rooney? Bit of a sentimental one admittedly and using Sturridge there might be more logical as he will be first choice for a few years)

Subs to be used

Foster/Forster half each

Jagielka for Wilshere, pushing Jones into DM (or for Barkley, pushing Wilshere and Jones forward)

Lampard for Lallana on 80 minutes for goodbye appearance, assuming he's knackered!

The last game lineup is just as confusing, a game of sentiment if you will. Crazy. The team on paper looks very much one that is lacking discipline in the correct areas and Sterling up top ? England playing a false nine ? For me he realises that we may lose all three games, so might as well drop the big guns (cough underperformers) and deflect blame. With Smalling down the right we are in serious trouble, how he has got on the plane is baffling.

England arent good enough basically, neither the players or the tactics

Stirling isn't playing. So, no, we aren't playing a false 9. Unless your opinion of Sturridge makes you think otherwise.

Really can't see why any of you are bothered about this game, Hodgson was always going to make a pig's ear of the job so whatever he does now won't change that. He'll make a pig's ear of the Euro 2016 as well if he's allowed to. England need to appoint a younger manager now and stop tarting about with these old fogeys. Give the job to G Neville now and let him get on with it, you never know by Summer of 2016 he might have got the hang of it.

I'd be happy with Neville, excellent knowledge of the game. If he brought in some intelligent coaches around him then he could succeed. It's not like he's had the joys of domestic coaching to say he cant be without it and needs games every day like Mourinho states.

Really can't see why any of you are bothered about this game, Hodgson was always going to make a pig's ear of the job so whatever he does now won't change that. He'll make a pig's ear of the Euro 2016 as well if he's allowed to. England need to appoint a younger manager now and stop tarting about with these old fogeys. Give the job to G Neville now and let him get on with it, you never know by Summer of 2016 he might have got the hang of it.

I think Hodgson has reacted well to the challenges of not having a decent defensive midfielder, right back or central defensive partnership, he's changed and modernised the system, moved well away from Ye Olde 4-4-2, and introduced both young players AND players who don't play for the same old clubs based on their reputations, as well as seeing the limitations of Carroll and picking a more skilful player instead.

Though I do think he's missed a trick with Lallana and Shaw (given how bad Baines was in the warm up against Honduras and against Italy), he's introduced Sterling, who is well worth his place, and ignored any and all media gubbins to do things his way. I think Neville is doing fine in the role he's in and given a couple of years playing together the side will be in with a decent chance in France - provided someone emerges as a holding defender and at centre back. By then Gerrard and Lampard (and Lambert) will be history and others will hopefully have stepped up. Maybe Clyne will stop making stupid positional decisions and miscontrolling the ball 6 yards out, or Chambers will continue to show his abilities, and that'll sort out the Johnson problem, but who knows who'll be DM and CBs?

No matter how good a manager is, without the players, you're stuffed. At the moment England have nothing much between the attacking midfielders and the goalkeeper, and good players will take you apart based on that. The question is not "who should be the manager?", but "who will be playing in those positions in 2 years' time?".

Edited by The9

I just don't understand Gerrard and Lampard not retiring. All this press crap about how much we need their experience? So are they saying that if Gerrard and Lampard retire England will failed to qualify for the next major tournament? Would it really make that much of a difference? How about other players would step up to the mark and fill the void. Gain their own experience, together as a team, making us stronger? They are arrogant to assume that somehow England cannot go on without them. Time to go gracefully more like!

Ranting over. I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere already here - but just needed to get it out of my system. Wish they'd just GO so we can all move on!

Gerrard scored 21 goals in 113 games and Lampard 29 from 105 games from midfield. Not too shabby. Why wouldnt you want that experience around the squad? How many players is it stopping coming through? We have Barkley, Lallana, Wilshire, Stirling and Shaw. I am sure they all benefit for being around players of the calibre of Gerrard and Lampard. Out of 23 players in a squad how many play? Shaw was clearly preferred over Cole to give him the experience. Part of the experience is being around senior pros.

Gerrard scored 21 goals in 113 games and Lampard 29 from 105 games from midfield. Not too shabby. Why wouldnt you want that experience around the squad? How many players is it stopping coming through? We have Barkley, Lallana, Wilshire, Stirling and Shaw. I am sure they all benefit for being around players of the calibre of Gerrard and Lampard. Out of 23 players in a squad how many play? Shaw was clearly preferred over Cole to give him the experience. Part of the experience is being around senior pros.

Lampard went purely for "experience" and with no expectation of him playing. I wonder if Hodgson wishes he'd taken someone who could at least play defensive midfield instead of Gerrard's creaking knees instead.

Phil Jones for instance,

You do wonder how bad Jones must have been playing recently to not get on, Hodgson seems to regard him as a CB/RB cover though.

It was a very risky decision to rely on Gerrard for 3 matches in 10 days with his age and in those conditions, and the late goal against Uruguay came from his tired legs failing to jump.

You do wonder how bad Jones must have been playing recently to not get on, Hodgson seems to regard him as a CB/RB cover though.

It was a very risky decision to rely on Gerrard for 3 matches in 10 days with his age and in those conditions, and the late goal against Uruguay came from his tired legs failing to jump.

Hodgson had the idea in his little bonce that Gerrard was the man for that job, nothing else mattered, he made a pig's ear of it as I predicted that he would. He does not really comprehend modern football that's all. PL managers are getting younger and younger and yet the England role is given to an old dinosaur who had a moderate success with the Swiss national side many moons back. Hodgson was a disaster at Liverpool, should never have been given the England job that is all.

Hodgson had the idea in his little bonce that Gerrard was the man for that job, nothing else mattered, he made a pig's ear of it as I predicted that he would. He does not really comprehend modern football that's all. PL managers are getting younger and younger and yet the England role is given to an old dinosaur who had a moderate success with the Swiss national side many moons back. Hodgson was a disaster at Liverpool, should never have been given the England job that is all.

Your argument is not exactly coherent.

Regarding the age thing: Spain's manager was 64 when they were 2 time European Champions and World Cup holders, playing a then-unique system.

Hodgson was not a "disaster" at Liverpool, they just lost patience with a manager who pretty much everywhere else has improved the team after a spell of adjustment. It took about 6 months for West Brom to turn results around and launch themselves up the table, Liverpool weren't prepared to wait.

He also clearly comprehends modern football well, hence use of 4-2-3-1 and the introduction of the likes of Sterling. Age is irrelevant if you move with the times, and Hodgson has done exactly that.

Can't argue with you about a mistake using Gerrard so much, but again, what were the options?

Gerrard scored 21 goals in 113 games and Lampard 29 from 105 games from midfield. Not too shabby. Why wouldnt you want that experience around the squad? How many players is it stopping coming through?

I'm talking about now, once this world cup is said and done. They should retire. As for having their experience around the squad- well they can come along as supporting coaches instead. They need to get off the playing staff and allow others to make the midfield positions their own - without the baggage.

I'm talking about now, once this world cup is said and done. They should retire. As for having their experience around the squad- well they can come along as supporting coaches instead. They need to get off the playing staff and allow others to make the midfield positions their own - without the baggage.

So Pirlo needs to stand down too? Their stil being around doesnt stop others coming through. Who do you suggest takes over from Gerrard though? Hoddle has just said that Gerrard is still the best short/long passer of the ball we have. Who takes his place?

Lampard went purely for "experience" and with no expectation of him playing. I wonder if Hodgson wishes he'd taken someone who could at least play defensive midfield instead of Gerrard's creaking knees instead.

Gerrard is still 2 to 3 years younger than Pirlo though I grant you that he plays harder than Pirlo. Gerrad wasnt the only England playr suffering from the conditions and the strain after a long season at home.

So Pirlo needs to stand down too? Their stil being around doesnt stop others coming through. Who do you suggest takes over from Gerrard though? Hoddle has just said that Gerrard is still the best short/long passer of the ball we have. Who takes his place?

Sorry but I can't see how Pirlo and Gerrard compare. Pirlo is still actually good most of the time. Gerrard seems to have lost a lot of that passing accuracy and driving power he used to have.

Who would take his place? Until he goes no-one will even be given the chance to stand up and be counted.

We can't let worrying about who would take his place stop us from taking a chance on someone else. If he moves on, we might change our style to suit whomever comes in instead.

Sorry but I can't see how Pirlo and Gerrard compare. Pirlo is still actually good most of the time. Gerrard seems to have lost a lot of that passing accuracy and driving power he used to have.

Who would take his place? Until he goes no-one will even be given the chance to stand up and be counted.

We can't let worrying about who would take his place stop us from taking a chance on someone else. If he moves on, we might change our style to suit whomever comes in instead.

Gerrard is still a force in the Premiership. He hasnt had a good WC but does that mean he still cant do a job. Senior pros reckon he can do it at this level for another 2 years. If there was someone knocking at the door dont you think he would be there?