England v Uruguay

Batman

whoohoo! got my first infraction for the use of the term ' blubber belly' from Jimmy dunce! reason.... ' no need for that' :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh I got one earlier for taking the p*ss out of him too. Jimmy d is on duty, its only to be expected as he's given them out for 'stamping on people's dreams' in the past.

Well yes. 2 game against 2 very good teams where on a different day we could have got results from both. Created some good chances, and in spells played some half decent football. Spain have been awful, and I haven't seen Australia.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Spain would hand us our arses on a plate.

Would Suarez have put that header against the bar or hit hit straight at the keeper like Rooney did? He'd have had a hatrick tonight if he'd been in an England shirt. Uruguay are an average team with a world class striker, England are an average team.

I wouldn't call England a team. They are a group of indulged, arrogant, average players.

Well, well... where to start with that?

I don't place all the blame with Hodgson. A chef can only create something special with the very best ingredients - Hodgson had Aldi's out-of-date cast-offs to work with.

We simply lack any quality and pace going forward. All of our attacks were slow and predictable, with the final ball always hitting the first defender or going tamely to the keeper. Compare that to the pinpoint cross for Uruguay's first goal, and the outstanding finish from Suarez for their second. Had that chance fallen to Rooney or Sturridge they would have missed it.

I really don't know where England go from here. It's clear that Gerrard should have retired from international football long ago. The last time I remember him having a great game for England was in the 5-1 against Germany, and that was 13 years ago. Rooney finally got a goal at a World Cup with the easiest tap-in he'll ever get. He just isn't the world class player everybody hoped he would go on to become when he was 16-17.

Henderson looked out of his depth completely, as did Baines. Wellbeck offered nothing going forward and Sterling was largely ineffective as well. The only player who, in my opinion, gave a decent account of himself tonight was Gary Cahill. He made some good blocks and timely interceptions, and when Gerrard retires after this WC I think he should be made captain.

I fail to understand why Roy or his assistant were at St. Mary's nearly every week yet when it came to he didn't trust Lallana, Lambert and to a lesser extent Shaw to do the job for him !

5 minutes for Rickie and barely half an hour for Lallana whilst Wellbeck and co serve up the same old crap.

^ this

Glen Johnson, **** the ****ety **** off. Even setting up the goal is not enough to stop me venting my pain at seeing that **** in an England shirt. Ball watching useless ****wit. **** off. Skate.

I thought Johnson was one of our best players tonight.

Why no centre back decided to stick up Suarez ass I'll never know. I was pleased with hodgson as manager but now I think he's a bottler who went with his faves from the top of the league. Shame.

Well, well... where to start with that?

I don't place all the blame with Hodgson. A chef can only create something special with the very best ingredients - Hodgson had Aldi's out-of-date cast-offs to work with.

We simply lack any quality and pace going forward. All of our attacks were slow and predictable, with the final ball always hitting the first defender or going tamely to the keeper. Compare that to the pinpoint cross for Uruguay's first goal, and the outstanding finish from Suarez for their second. Had that chance fallen to Rooney or Sturridge they would have missed it.

I really don't know where England go from here. It's clear that Gerrard should have retired from international football long ago. The last time I remember him having a great game for England was in the 5-1 against Germany, and that was 13 years ago. Rooney finally got a goal at a World Cup with the easiest tap-in he'll ever get. He just isn't the world class player everybody hoped he would go on to become when he was 16-17.

Henderson looked out of his depth completely, as did Baines. Wellbeck offered nothing going forward and Sterling was largely ineffective as well. The only player who, in my opinion, gave a decent account of himself tonight was Gary Cahill. He made some good blocks and timely interceptions, and when Gerrard retires after this WC I think he should be made captain.

Rubbish. A good chef would discard the out of date choice cuts and make something beautiful with the vegetables,

I thought the players cared more than I had seen for a long time but Hodgson is just a ****e old duffer. How could he not get well beck henderson off earlier.

Gerard and henderson both playing defensively and badly have they not watched us and learned that in that role they must press and move forward to join attack aaaaaaaaaaaaagh

I'm mildly surprised that I really don't care. I'll just enjoy watching the teams who actually have tactics, commitment and skill. Might have a punt on Holland or Germany

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

funny enough this is my feelings as well. Wasn't bothered, i get no joy from watching England play, this has been a brilliant World Cup with exciting attacking football from most teams except England who are awful but what makes it even worse....it is our English players that earn such ludicrous sums of money and yet compared to everything else at the World Cup they are the worst players. There is a certain irony there me thinks!

Rubbish. A good chef would discard the out of date choice cuts and make something beautiful with the vegetables,

The England squad is a big bag of Revels, and Roy's picked all the horrible orange ones.

Well, out of the team only really Hart has any top level class to him, perhaps Cahill, I really like Cahill as a player.

As good as Gerrard has been in the past his legs have gone and I feel we were relying on him far too much in that role, ok, he is a decent ball player but he isnt a ball winner, he hasnt the legs, and so that responsibility laid at Hendersons feet who equally struggled.

The two CMs are far too far away from the front quartet meaning transition is difficult and basically they were very isolated. Rooney was pretty poor in the number ten role, sterling ran into trouble too often though thats partly due to isolation and the more I see of Sturridge at the highest level the more its painfully obvious that he isnt all that great.

Jagielka was terrible, at fault for both goals, why was he so high up the pitch ? Regardless of gerrards 'flick' (he was caught out of position too but cavani is a handful) jag got drawn to the ball and basically got caught in no mans land, no reason for a CB to be that far up, especially occupied by a striker.

Baines isnt a great LB, good going forward, poor defensively.

*and breathe*

TBH we all expected this didnt we ?

Glen Johnson, **** the ****ety **** off. Even setting up the goal is not enough to stop me venting my pain at seeing that **** in an England shirt. Ball watching useless ****wit. **** off. Skate.

Hard to admit with him being a Skate, but he was reasonably good tonight and did make the goal. There were far worse players, Rooney and Gerrard (again) for a start. I suppose at least Rooney scored a goal that I think I could have probably scored. Please God that is the last time we see Stevie ****ing G in an England shirt. He ****s up for Liverpool and he ****s up for England.

Now watch the media completely demonise everyone who is involved in the England team..

FWIW, I think Hodgson got the midfield wrong. Henderson and Gerrard works for Liverpool, but it's not mobile enough a partnership to have any influence at this level. Would've preferred to see Wilshere alongside Gerrard to provide a little bit of zip in the middle and to string some passes together. Gerrard's not got the legs to play the role he was trying to play at this WC either, he can't do that box-to-box role anymore. If you're going to play Gerrard in the middle, I think you've got to play him in a 3 with two players who can screen, stop wide players taking advantage of the space and can drop in to cover him when he gets forward. Wilshere and Milner/Barkley would be my choices personally, with Rooney Sturridge and Sterling up top.

First goal was Baines ball-watching when he really should have followed in to the box. Jagielka will catch a lot of sh!t for both goals but is only really at fault for the second one. Lee Dixon said it perfectly on ITV post-match that he shouldn't step up when the ball was being contested by the players in front of him, because it just created a vacuum for Suarez to run into - when you're up against quality finishers like him you can't afford to give them the space to make those runs in behind.

Ultimately it's a disappointing campaign for England, but if you look at the squad there are players there who will be coming into their prime by the time the next WC rolls around. Hodgson needs to take an axe to the squad for the Euro qualifiers - drop Gerrard, find a system that utilises the wide players best and doesn't leave the defenders having to do so much work to cover their ar5es.

Roy was pragmatic in the end. Thought the Italy game was the way forward. Guess not

Welbeck, Johnson and baines need to leave The England squad

Rooney needs time out of the team

Did you hear Roy say at the end that they wanted the draw from this game!!!!!!????

Edited by Batman

I thought Johnson was one of our best players tonight.

Shame.

You didn't notice him ball watching in the first half and getting away with it big style? You didn't notice him ball watching in the second half and getting away with it bit style? Just because they don't take advantage of your ****ness doesnt mean you weren't ****.

Well, out of the team only really Hart has any top level class to him, perhaps Cahill, I really like Cahill as a player.

As good as Gerrard has been in the past his legs have gone and I feel we were relying on him far too much in that role, ok, he is a decent ball player but he isnt a ball winner, he hasnt the legs, and so that responsibility laid at Hendersons feet who equally struggled.

The two CMs are far too far away from the front quartet meaning transition is difficult and basically they were very isolated. Rooney was pretty poor in the number ten role, sterling ran into trouble too often though thats partly due to isolation and the more I see of Sturridge at the highest level the more its painfully obvious that he isnt all that great.

Jagielka was terrible, at fault for both goals, why was he so high up the pitch ? Regardless of gerrards 'flick' (he was caught out of position too but cavani is a handful) jag got drawn to the ball and basically got caught in no mans land, no reason for a CB to be that far up, especially occupied by a striker.

*and breathe*

Largely agree, though Cahill for the first was shocking.

Watch it again, he is basically up Johnsons arse. Both CBs were doing nothing in their own box.

Against a team with Cavani and Suarez up front that is suicide.

I don't actually rate Cahill that highly if I'm honest (yes contradicting my opening gambit) anything he does well is recovery. He's always making up for that fact he's cocked up to start with. Bit like Rio in that respect.

I've been watching England for more years than I care to admit and nothing much has changed in all that time. Whenever they start by taking two touches and then passing painstakingly slowly across the back four my heart sinks and I know exactly what's coming..... a totally sh1te performance. As an indicator of how the match will go it never fails.

One thing I can't understand taking so long is Alps blaming his kid for making him look an idiot. Nice attempt mate, unfortunately you've been making yourself look a tit for so long we ain't buyin' it.

Annoyed at the fact we seem to have ballsed up what worked in the last match by trying to keep Rooney happy. I'm not a Rooney hater, he puts in so much hard work it's hard to criticise too much, but I just can't help feeling that with him on the pitch some of our other players just don't perform. Two matches running he's tried to take the ball off Barkley while he's on a run. Luckily this week Barkley decided to brush him aside.

Thought Henderson had a decent game but Gerrard was poor. Baines didn't justify selection tonight even with the extra protection. TBH much as I think Roy's a decent person, we need a more progressive coach in charge of the national team. I'd start the next match with the following team:

Hart

Johnson

Cahill

Jagielka

Shaw

Henderson

Wilshere

Lallana

Barkley

Sterling

Sturridge

Don't think for a second Johnson was the only poor player tonight. Sterling was totally ineffective, as was Wellbeck. Rooney in the first half was woeful, although I thought he was very good in the second. Sturridge had a decent game and the goal was from great work, but his diving was embarrassing. Jagielka is never international class, ever. Did Henderson and Gerard actually do anything? Maybe the formation restricts them. Ah whatever...I knew we would he ****, it's just the decent display on Saturday that got my hopes up.

I hope we don't get all this ******** about playing too many games in a season dragged up again as an excuse.

All the foreign players in the Premiership don't seem to suffer and with half the team made up of Liverpool/Everton players who had no European matches last season it kind of rings more hollow than usual as an excuse.

Now watch the media completely demonise everyone who is involved in the England team..

FWIW, I think Hodgson got the midfield wrong. Henderson and Gerrard works for Liverpool, but it's not mobile enough a partnership to have any influence at this level. Would've preferred to see Wilshere alongside Gerrard to provide a little bit of zip in the middle and to string some passes together. Gerrard's not got the legs to play the role he was trying to play at this WC either, he can't do that box-to-box role anymore. If you're going to play Gerrard in the middle, I think you've got to play him in a 3 with two players who can screen, stop wide players taking advantage of the space and can drop in to cover him when he gets forward. Wilshere and Milner/Barkley would be my choices personally, with Rooney Sturridge and Sterling up top.

First goal was Baines ball-watching when he really should have followed in to the box. Jagielka will catch a lot of sh!t for both goals but is only really at fault for the second one. Lee Dixon said it perfectly on ITV post-match that he shouldn't step up when the ball was being contested by the players in front of him, because it just created a vacuum for Suarez to run into - when you're up against quality finishers like him you can't afford to give them the space to make those runs in behind.

Ultimately it's a disappointing campaign for England, but if you look at the squad there are players there who will be coming into their prime by the time the next WC rolls around. Hodgson needs to take an axe to the squad for the Euro qualifiers - drop Gerrard, find a system that utilises the wide players best and doesn't leave the defenders having to do so much work to cover their ar5es.

Pretty much how I saw it except for a few bits, I said the same to the lads re Gerrard, if Woy wanted to use Gerrard in the Pirlo role then he definately needed screening. Why we dont go 433 anyway is beyond me.

Largely though England are poor, we dont have a top class CB, CM or striker

Pretty much how I saw it except for a few bits, I said the same to the lads re Gerrard, if Woy wanted to use Gerrard in the Pirlo role then he definately needed screening. Why we dont go 433 anyway is beyond me.

Largely though England are poor, we dont have a top class CB, CM or striker

It's because he can't play Rooney and Sturridge in the same team if he goes 433.

For years, we are all about shoe-horning the so called best players on the pitch and not the best team

How welbeck stayed on the pitch so long tonight is a joke.

One thing I can't understand taking so long is Alps blaming his kid for making him look an idiot. Nice attempt mate, unfortunately you've been making yourself look a tit for so long we ain't buyin' it.

Annoyed at the fact we seem to have ballsed up what worked in the last match by trying to keep Rooney happy. I'm not a Rooney hater, he puts in so much hard work it's hard to criticise too much, but I just can't help feeling that with him on the pitch some of our other players just don't perform. Two matches running he's tried to take the ball off Barkley while he's on a run. Luckily this week Barkley decided to brush him aside.

Thought Henderson had a decent game but Gerrard was poor. Baines didn't justify selection tonight even with the extra protection. TBH much as I think Roy's a decent person, we need a more progressive coach in charge of the national team. I'd start the next match with the following team:

Hart

Johnson

Cahill

Jagielka

Shaw

Henderson

Wilshere

Lallana

Barkley

Sterling

Sturridge

If you play that Id honestly swap Welbeck for Sturridge, DS scores the odd goal as he is so ****ing greedy but ultimately wastes so much, the quartet would be much more fluid without him

*and breathe*

Changed your tune on Gerrard quite a bit. Otherwise agree with what you've written.

I have every sympathy with Henderson, who was obviously told to stay behind the ball at all times. I am also disappointed that Lambert wasn't brought on until the 89th minute. The players were absolute sh*te tonight, so were the tactics! and so was the manager.

Going forward, I wouldn't give another cap to Johnson, Gerrard, Rooney or Baines, and I would be looking for a manager who isn't sh*t scared of losing, or upsetting his paymasters.

Gutted. Uruguay were the better team and there's no shame in that but we could easily have won that game. Defensive frailty, no grip on midfield and a few poorly taken chances cost us.

At least qualification is still a possibility. All it takes is a couple of Italy wins and us beating Costa Rica by two goals. Biggest worry is that if Italy are on six points by the time they play Uruguay, they'd only need a point to top the group so wouldn't go all out for a win.

Edited by DuncanRG

If you play that Id honestly swap Welbeck for Sturridge, DS scores the odd goal as he is so ****ing greedy but ultimately wastes so much, the quartet would be much more fluid without him

As is Barkley. He's obviously got some ability but so often takes one touch too many, runs into trouble or picks the wrong pass. There is a lot of hype around him He's only 20 so still time but at the moment not one to start IMO.

The problem is and always will be the manager picking players based on name rather then ability/current form.

Rooney should be dropped but never will. Welback had a terrible season but still gets picked.

Time to look to the future and that means the end of players such as Johnson, Gerrard, Jagielka, and players such as Rooney. He has had three world cups and has been gash. It is all well and good scoring against small team as in the qualifiers but he just can't do it on the big stage.

Time for a cull IMO and that includes woy.

As is Barkley. He's obviously got some ability but so often takes one touch too many, runs into trouble or picks the wrong pass. There is a lot of hype around him He's only 20 so still time but at the moment not one to start IMO.

I agree with this. There's a good player in the making but he's not there yet at international level. Quite why he gets on ahead of Lallana beats me.

*and breathe*

Transition was indeed disjointed and far too slow. This is where Lallana playing in a central role would have made a difference, being strong off left and right he is a pivot and can switch play in an instant.

The fact is that the "revolution" and integration of young players should have happened after the Euros. It's a shame the FA didn't have the ******** to say, ok we are going to change the way we play, and we are going to throw in the youngsters and may not qualify for the world cup - stick with it because by the Euros we will have experience and a real sense of how we want to play the game. But no, we go on picking the same old tired players, play the same old disjointed way - why? ££££ - World Cup worth too much commercially. It's a shame - I wish England played like Saints.

The problem is and always will be the manager picking players based on name rather then ability/current form.

Rooney should be dropped but never will. Welback had a terrible season but still gets picked.

Time to look to the future and that means the end of players such as Johnson, Gerrard, Jagielka, and players such as Rooney. He has had three world cups and has been gash. It is all well and good scoring against small team as in the qualifiers but he just can't do it on the big stage.

Time for a cull IMO and that includes woy.

Got to say I agree. New era begins when we're out of this World Cup. The next manager has got some good raw talent to mold in his image. Vital thing is we get coach and squad who can pass and move dynamically. We'll miss plenty about Gerrard when he retires, but he's lacked that in the last few years. That empty midfield slot presents us with an opportunity to inject some impetus to an area in which we failed tonight.

Not sure who's up to it, mind. Given the right coaching I think two of Barkley, Wilshere and Henderson might make a good modern midfield pair in future, though none are defensively solid. Ward-Prowse has the potential to come in further down the line.

The fact is that the "revolution" and integration of young players should have happened after the Euros. It's a shame the FA didn't have the ******** to say, ok we are going to change the way we play, and we are going to throw in the youngsters and may not qualify for the world cup - stick with it because by the Euros we will have experience and a real sense of how we want to play the game. But no, we go on picking the same old tired players, play the same old disjointed way - why? ££££ - World Cup worth too much commercially. It's a shame - I wish England played like Saints.

It was clear the old generation was wilting at the Euros but the youngsters weren't there to fill their shoes. Roy's squad was forward-thinking but sadly his coaching wasn't and Gerrard/Rooney were a hindrance.

Edited by DuncanRG

England are just not very good at football, we can throw the blame around all we like but fact is we are sh!t at playing football. And apart from one tournament 50 years ago where we had home advantage we always have been.
Yes, totally agree England can't play football. We seem to have 11 players who are so disconnected to each other its untrue. It might help though if we picked players who are actually good on the ball and move it and link up well. Shocking display that at my age leaves me feeling empty and depressed. This is England.:blush:

Got to say I agree. New era begins when we're out of this World Cup. The next manager has got some good raw talent to mold in his image. Vital thing is we get coach and squad who can pass and move dynamically. We'll miss plenty about Gerrard when he retires, but he's lacked that in the last few years. That empty midfield slot presents us with an opportunity to inject some impetus to an area in which we failed tonight.

Not sure who's up to it, mind. Given the right coaching I think two of Barkley, Wilshere and Henderson might make a good modern midfield pair in future, though none are defensively solid. Ward-Prowse has the potential to come in further down the line.

It was clear the old generation was wilting at the Euros but the youngsters weren't there to fill their shoes. Roy's squad was forward-thinking but sadly his coaching wasn't and Gerrard/Rooney were a hindrance.

Lampard and Gerrard in the same squad, or even in the squad, is not forward thinking - and as for Glenn Johnson.....he is the one player that makes me still optimistic of a call up.