Dejan Lovren hands in transfer request

Saint-Armstrong

That's got to be a joke right? I think Lovern is a decent PL CB but last night against Brazil (ie top class players) he looked pretty poor can't see him being Barca standard. Then again I never thought Liverpool would want Lambert so what do I know ....... **** it will probably be Jos to PSG next.

If so many of our players are in demand at CL clubs does that mean we (or they + MP as a group) underachieved last season by finishing 8th?

if they were that desperate for European football maybe they should've put some effort in at Sunderland instead of that pathetic display of apathy.

If so many of our players are in demand at CL clubs does that mean we (or they + MP as a group) underachieved last season by finishing 8th?

Probably not but 2 or 3 good quality additions may have seen us troubling the European places next season. But then, of course, Poch decided to fook off.

Who would play ahead of him at Barca?? Pique and...

It was a tongue in cheek comment about sittingon the bench. I understand that they are short of CBs and probably in the market for one if not two (though I think Bartra has just signed a new contract so definately part of their future plans). Song and the Argie (cant remember his name) have played there too.

My point was that of the key Saint players allegedly wanting a transfer he is one that could turn out to be a real star or simply a one season wonder. Too early to tell. But my thinking is that we ought to start behaving like a top ten club and avoid selling players that improve the squads of our rivals. Sell them abroad if they want to go.

Well no, because we had to play Gazzaniga,Davis,Jos,Fox and Gallagher from time to time, even the best sides would lose with those players.

Saints have a good number of players good enough for the Champions League, but not enough players of that quality to actually get there themselves as a club. 8th is where our squad should finish and that is where it did, that doesn't mean the likes of Lovren, Shaw, Rodriguez, Lallana, Lambert, Schneiderlin couldn't play for a Champions League challenging club.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Saints have a good number of players good enough for the Champions League, but not enough players of that quality to actually get there themselves as a club. 8th is where our squad should finish and that is where it did, that doesn't mean the likes of Lovren, Shaw, Lallana, Lambert, Schneiderlin couldn't play for a Champions League challenging club.

I agree MLG - every club has stay play a few backups during the season? Our injuries (compared to others) were not to bad if I recall?

Not saying we underperformed last season - more that we didn’t really over-perform either. 8th was where we should have finished and where we did.

Saints have a good number of players good enough for the Champions League, but not enough players of that quality to actually get there themselves as a club. 8th is where our squad should finish and that is where it did, that doesn't mean the likes of Lovren, Shaw, Rodriguez, Lallana, Lambert, Schneiderlin couldn't play for a Champions League challenging club.

Not often i say it but i agree with aspergers one, there's a handful of our squad who definitely wouldn't look out of place in Champions League teams, hence the current raping we're getting

OK. add to these Chambers (arsenal and therefore CL bound?), Boruc and wanyama (both played CL), Osvaldo (was Italy's #9), Clyne (should be at the WC according to some on here) and you have a CL team.

Dont get me wrong - I am not saying that we should have been top 4 as we lacked depth and injury cover but just asking if we should have finished better than 8th and if so did MP underachieve with the players at his disposal?

Just a thought..

Agreed.

If our players are that good how come we only finished 8th ?

MP overrated I think, we played pretty football but we didn't get results when we needed and we couldn't score. Everyone said we lacked a quality striker but I disagree, it's not like we missed a shed load of chances we just didn't create that many (certain games excepted ).

Agreed.

If our players are that good how come we only finished 8th ?

Because players like Hooiveld, Fox and Gazzaniga were ruthlessly exploited and are not of PL quality.

Because the squad as a whole isnt better than the teams above us, even though our first XI isnt much below the likes of Everton and Spurs.

You can't carry players in the PL. We had to.

Because we lacked cover in key positions and injuries hurt us more than those above us.

I agree MLG - every club has stay play a few backups during the season? Our injuries (compared to others) were not to bad if I recall?

Not saying we underperformed last season - more that we didn’t really over-perform either. 8th was where we should have finished and where we did.

rentaghost.jpg

Because players like Hooiveld, Fox and Gazzaniga were ruthlessly exploited and are not of PL quality.

Because the squad as a whole isnt better than the teams above us, even though our first XI isnt much below the likes of Everton and Spurs.

You can't carry players in the PL. We had to.

Because we lacked cover in key positions and injuries hurt us more than those above us.

If our players were being courted by Everton or Spurs I'd agree with you but they aren't they are being courted by genuine title contenders.

Liverpool finished 30 points ahead of us and almost won the league. If reports are to be believed then they want to strengthen their squad by spending the majority of their transfer budget signing three players from a team that finished in no man's land.

I agree that Fox, Hooiveld and Gaz aren't Prem quality but even if we hadn't had to call on them we would never have been in the running for CL qualification. We are now being told that Premier League title challengers want to sign our players to try and win the league. If the spine of our team is as good as other managers seem to think then I genuinely believe that Poch underachieved with the team we had - back up players aside. We should have done better than 8th.

Also, if it was so patently obvious that we had a lack of squad depth why did we spend most of our transfer budget on an Italian flop that headbutted one of our most popular players? I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but even at the time I thought it was bad management on Poch's part as it was clear the money could have been spent better elsewhere.

Saying what out of interest?

Saying:

Just seen last night's penalty decision for the first time - oh dear - not sure what else @DejanLovren05 could have done - awful decision

Absolutely agree, just thought it interesting that he picked out Blackmore's.

He is relatively close to things, certainly would listen to him over any other Journo when it comes to Saints.

Interesting that off all the thousands of tweets mentioning Lovren from last night, he has chosen to retweet Adam Blackmore's.

of the 100s of tweets, blackmore is one of only 183 people lovren follows.

whether that's before or after the tweet, I don't know.

He did hand in a transfer request and the club did not ignore it so the Mail story yesterday was half correct. This I am 100% certain about.

So they rejected it? Either way, if he handed one in then he will go at some point this summer.

We are going to have to make some serious signings to replace the quality we will lose.

Can someone explain how this works. Transfer request gets submitted - I am presuming the club can reject it and hold the player to what he is contracted to? The papers seem to give the impression that once a transfer request has been submitted, then that's it and the player is off.

Can someone explain how this works. Transfer request gets submitted - I am presuming the club can reject it and hold the player to what he is contracted to? The papers seem to give the impression that once a transfer request has been submitted, then that's it and the player is off.

Very rarely do transfer requests come in and a player stays. Nearly always there is an offer on the table and this is the formal request to the club to let the player go.

I'm probably wrong, but I always understood it to be nothing more than a formal request to the employer to be allowed to talk to other clubs about a move, and as the move would be self imposed that certain bonuses etc are lost.

Papers today seem to think it's an indication that a player will now refuse to play for the club again. Which is of course crap as the selling club still holds the contract of the player.

The buying club know now he wants out so will want to pay less,it then becomes a test to see if we can hold out for what we want or we give in

If he goes I would fully expect us to double or money for him if not more.

What I want to know is,if he wants to play CL football how does he know a CL club will come in for him unless he has been tapped up?

Unless we have already rejected a bid for him

Edited by pangy

Hiring a "huge" name is no guarantee of success. Its better to stick with what you have that works. I guess that is why most Saints fans have an issue with our squad being tapped up by Liverpool.

It would be hillarious watching Liverpool scrabble to recover (and maybe losing the likes of Suarez just like we lost SRL) if Rodgers were made a millionaire by the FA.

You have to love this coming from the guy that has a fit every time we don't sign 18 players every window.

Saying:

Just seen last night's penalty decision for the first time - oh dear - not sure what else @DejanLovren05 could have done - awful decision

Absolutely agree, just thought it interesting that he picked out Blackmore's.

He is relatively close to things, certainly would listen to him over any other Journo when it comes to Saints.

Cheers. I agree I think Blackmore has a pretty good handle on what goes on at Saints.

I have a feeling that the request went in at the end of the season however the club flat out refused,the agent leaks the story on the eve of the world cup opening game in the hope that Lovren will have Neymar & co in his back pocket and will make every club in the CL know that he is in the shop window and is looking to leave.

All seems to well timed to not be true,not to mention Lovren has not even come out and publically denied the story