Dejan Lovren hands in transfer request

Saint-Armstrong

Pretty much any Saints player in history would have gone to Liverpool given chance, MLT being the probable exception. The difference is now we have 4 or 5 players who are actually good enough at the same time, whereas in the past we've just had one Bale, Walcott, Crouch or Bridge every couple of years. If Prutton, Dodd and Oakley were that good 10 years ago, they would all have gone too, it's nothing to do with the board room.

Would be disappointed to see Lovren go but as I said with Lambert and Lallana, the key thing is how well we reinvest the money. Don't forget Lovren was a bit of a flop in the past, so getting £15-20m for him, after one decent season would be a decent bit of business.

I know footballers live in a completely different bubble to the rest of us, but why on earth would Dejan be upset that the club are not talking to him about his future when he still has quite a lengthy term left on his contract? The time to get p!ssy about it would be as that contract draws to an end, not three years before. If he isn't happy with his current contract he shouldn't have f*cking signed it in the first place.

Pretty much any Saints player in history would have gone to Liverpool given chance, MLT being the probable exception. The difference is now we have 4 or 5 players who are actually good enough at the same time, whereas in the past we've just had one Bale, Walcott, Crouch or Bridge every couple of years. If Prutton, Dodd and Oakley were that good 10 years ago, they would all have gone too, it's nothing to do with the board room.

Would be disappointed to see Lovren go but as I said with Lambert and Lallana, the key thing is how well we reinvest the money. Don't forget Lovren was a bit of a flop in the past, so getting £15-20m for him, after one decent season would be a decent bit of business.

What's the point then?

Players haven't been communicated with properly since change of hands at boardroom level, this could have been avoided if we'd reassured them about our ambitions. Uncle les's interview is nothing more than fluffy lip service and a lot of you have been duped again. Say goodbye to Morgan too

100% accurate. Rudderless ship for three months. Players now in open revolt.

Their back four is shocking and cost them a Premier League title (along with Gerrard slipping), he's easily good enough for them.

Apologies. I had forgotten just how bad thei back four is. Maybe I should have said they could do better. I just don't think one good season at saints isnt enough to wipe out his chequered career prior to saints. Still think there are question marks over his temperament.

Now in the echo who are using 'their sources' to confirm.

But I'm still incredibly intrigued as to why this was released today, why not yesterday, or the day before? or at the start of the month? Why has it been kept quiet for 2 weeks? Why today, the day after a 'positive' club statement?

It feels like scripted bits and bobs are being fed out when they feel they'd have the most impact. I'm coming to the opinion that someone is manipulating this quite cleverly behind the scenes.

And you can add to this the fact that the rumours and paper articles regarding our new manager seem to be more positive than feared so it does look like someone is planting the negativity

Players haven't been communicated with properly since change of hands at boardroom level, this could have been avoided if we'd reassured them about our ambitions. Uncle les's interview is nothing more than fluffy lip service and a lot of you have been duped again. Say goodbye to Morgan too

When are you going to share all this stuff you know? The stuff you've been promising for weeks if not months but have so far said f*ck all. You're looking like a clown with your negative slant back up by fa

I used to enjoy Crab' posts ... just very bitter these days!

Crabs has turned into an exceptionally bitter poster. Starting to think it is actually alpine posting on his behalf.

If players don't want to be here screw them well find players who do.

I predict the sun will rise tomorrow....does that make me itk? So cone on crabs back up your constant bleating with some cold hard facts. Oh you don't have any.....

Sure some players will leave...just like they did at chelsea. And by your one eyed criteria re. Mancini being a failure do you class mourinho in the same bucket because of last season? No didn't think so

Bollix wouldn't make any difference. Dejan (or any of the other players) couldn't care less about the clubs ambitions when a bigger club comes calling. If you think uncle Les sitting down with the players and telling them we're aiming for Europe would make any difference when the likes of Liverpool or Man U come calling there is no hope for you.

Sounds like stirring by Ashton again - not least because these days presumably transfer requests and such like would be submitted via his agent or management company.

I have to agree. The story is pretty much a carbon copy of the Adam Lallana one a few weeks back. The only difference is AL has been replaced with DL. I doubt it is the last time a journo will trot this out over this summer.

This one doesn't come as a massive shock to me.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that:-

a) Lovren is quite the arrogant fellow behind the scenes.

b) Lovren did not expect to return to Saints for next season.

I actually think he will be harder to replace than Lallana and Shaw, but it would seem that that will be the position the new manager will be in....

Make your own minds up on the validity of this, the person who told me was wrong about Pochettino staying but insists that his resignation came as a massive shock to everyone including the board.

Bollix wouldn't make any difference. Dejan (or any of the other players) couldn't care less about the clubs ambitions when a bigger club comes calling. If you think uncle Les sitting down with the players and telling them we're aiming for Europe would make any difference when the likes of Liverpool or Man U come calling there is no hope for you.

Absolutely this. Crabby has fallen for the biggest crock of sh it in the world of football. The "poor me" footballer, all sad and unloved and upset because of "lack of communication". Boo hoo. Like some "communication" from the club is going to stop Lallana wanting £100k a week at Anfield. The only "communication" he wants is "yes, you can go, Adam".

Hilarious Crab Lungs is accusing the rest of us of being "duped" by Les when he is totally taken in by the "honest I would have loved to have stayed but they are being so howwible to me" routine.

Edited by CB Fry

Absolutely this. Crabby has fallen for the biggest crock of sh it in the world of football. The "poor me" footballer, all sad and unloved and upset because of "lack of communication". Boo hoo. Like some "communication" from the club is going to stop Lallana wanting £100k a week at Anfield.

Hilarious Crab Lungs is accusing the rest of us of being "duped" by Les when he is totally taken in by the "honest I would have loved to have stayed by they are being so howwible to me" routine.

Worrying that anyone would side with the player over this.

'Woe is me' stories intentionally leaked to gain such sympathy. They don't want to hand in 'official' transfer requests because they would lose money, and ultimately that is all they care about.

This news comes as no surprise. There is a complete management vacuum at SMS currently. The managerial appointment was supposed to be by the WC. Not surprised the players have run out of patience with the lack of communication; leaves them prey to suggestions, tapping-up pushy agents.

When are you lot going to start treating "the future is rosy" statements from the club management with the scepticism and disdain they deserve ? You are being played, FFS. No sooner than Uncle Les comes out with his latest missive, it becomes public our most important player slaps in a transfer request.

Really? Even though it's quite clear the players you want to scream your lungs out for clearly don't give a śhït

Of course they give a shyt. You have to realise this is just a a job to them. All of them including those who play for the opposition

It's the fans that think the players owe loyalty. They don't, they owe it to themselves and their families to earn as much money as possible. I bet even le tiss has regrets not moving and earning so much more now it is all over. He will never really say that of course

Going to Liverpool will do that for Dejan, Lallana and co

I wonder if lambert would have pushed so hard for a move to his boyhood club if it was tranmere? Nah, didn't think so

The thing that annoys me the most in all these transfers is when the excuse of a change of personnel is trotted out. Ashton wrote "claims the changes to management have also affected his decision". Well, moving to a new club equals a change of management, the same as us getting a new manager. Why do they have to be disingenuous with their reasons of wanting to leave?

I also am finding the leaking of details to the press every 5 seconds somewhat distasteful, but I guess that's the way football is these days if players/agents don't get what they want. The problem does come when only one side's events are reported because we all know the old cliché of their being two sides to every story. Our silence, or relative silence as the board has come out with a couple of statements, is the proper way of doing things, but does make them appear to those not ITK a little shambolic.

I suspect that it is deeply frustrating for the board, and as far as I can remember, there might only have been one "leak" from them which was the apparent preparedness to triple MP's wages up to £6m. I thought that quite clever, as if (and I know that might be a big IF) there was any truth in it, then it either was big enough to tempt MP to stay or more, a message for other managers that they would be hugely well remunerated for their services. That's maybe why we have been inundated with enquiries. I also think it quite nice that certain people at the club recognise our frustrations, and let slip certain bits of info (eg Guan's posts - and I wish he would post more!!).

I know people aren't naive enough to not accept the situation with all of our players who want to move on, and that it is just frustration. Benali is right - get rid of those that don't want to play here. We are now at a cross roads whose direction might be out of our hands. We can either try and push upwards and onwards, but with the core of the team wanting to jump ship, that might seem unlikely or we can stay and accept that football has become such an uneven playing field, that we have reached the end of the line. This is why I say I love Saints but hate football. At the moment my love of Saints is stronger than my hate for football, but it is a close run thing.

This. That whole episode looked dodgy at the time, the backtracking about "oh, we meant the World Cup lolz" was paper thin.

I thought exactly the same thing, it was obvious what they meant. What barber goes on Twitter to say they'll miss their client for the next couple of weeks, most people wait longer than that between haircuts.

The thing that annoys me the most in all these transfers is when the excuse of a change of personnel is trotted out. Ashton wrote "claims the changes to management have also affected his decision". Well, moving to a new club equals a change of management, the same as us getting a new manager. Why do they have to be disingenuous with their reasons of wanting to leave?

I also am finding the leaking of details to the press every 5 seconds somewhat distasteful, but I guess that's the way football is these days if players/agents don't get what they want. The problem does come when only one side's events are reported because we all know the old cliché of their being two sides to every story. Our silence, or relative silence as the board has come out with a couple of statements, is the proper way of doing things, but does make them appear to those not ITK a little shambolic.

I suspect that it is deeply frustrating for the board, and as far as I can remember, there might only have been one "leak" from them which was the apparent preparedness to triple MP's wages up to £6m. I thought that quite clever, as if (and I know that might be a big IF) there was any truth in it, then it either was big enough to tempt MP to stay or more, a message for other managers that they would be hugely well remunerated for their services. That's maybe why we have been inundated with enquiries. I also think it quite nice that certain people at the club recognise our frustrations, and let slip certain bits of info (eg Guan's posts - and I wish he would post more!!).

I know people aren't naive enough to not accept the situation with all of our players who want to move on, and that it is just frustration. Benali is right - get rid of those that don't want to play here. We are now at a cross roads whose direction might be out of our hands. We can either try and push upwards and onwards, but with the core of the team wanting to jump ship, that might seem unlikely or we can stay and accept that football has become such an uneven playing field, that we have reached the end of the line. This is why I say I love Saints but hate football. At the moment my love of Saints is stronger than my hate for football, but it is a close run thing.

What surprises me is who is advising these people. Adam Lallana has gone from local hero to badge kissing Judas. He could easily have carried on kissing his badge in public and quietly manoeuvred a move behind the scenes. None of us would begrudge him a move to Liverpool (most of us are realistic) if he had conducted himself in the right way without moaning to the press.

I must say that our board seem to be flailing around. Who is in charge? Liverpool (and others) are making us the laughing stock - we are being seen as easy pickings.

How are they making us a "laughing stock"?

All these players are under contract, what can the club do to stop players handing in transfer requests? We've still only sold Lambert so far, if the club are just ignoring Liverpool then good on them. If they want a response tell them to f*ck off.

If we were easy pickings, this take it or leave offer that was supposed to have been on the table from Liverpool re Lallana, would have been taken. The issue should not be clouded by RL's £4m departure. As for the figure of £4m, unless either club (but mainly Saints) come out and say what the actual agreement was, I won't bother getting too excited.

Must have missed this - what happened exactly?

Some hairdresser Facebooked a message saying thanks to Lovren for some tickets and that they are going to miss him coming back for more haircuts now he has left. The obvious storm kicked up and they backtracked saying "oh, we meant miss him now he has left for World Cup duties of course". Yeah, right...

What surprises me is who is advising these people. Adam Lallana has gone from local hero to badge kissing Judas. He could easily have carried on kissing his badge in public and quietly manoeuvred a move behind the scenes. None of us would begrudge him a move to Liverpool (most of us are realistic) if he had conducted himself in the right way without moaning to the press.

Aye.

What happens if we play hard ball and refuse to let any players go. Do they put in a good shift or do they act like Kenwyne Jones?

Some hairdresser Facebooked a message saying thanks to Lovren for some tickets and that they are going to miss him coming back for more haircuts now he has left. The obvious storm kicked up and they backtracked saying "oh, we meant miss him now he has left for World Cup duties of course". Yeah, right...

A likely story! :rolleyes:

Call me naive but I'm not overly fussed about any of this anymore.

The fact is the club has the whip hand. Transfer request aside, he's under a long-term contract like everybody else.

If he wants to go we'll make sure they pay top dollar for him.

And if they don't he stays.

I doubt he'll sulk if that turns out to be the case.

He's a professional.

Not sure why the club's getting battered here, (again), players with years left on their contracts suddenly all deciding they're too good for the club, club says "no transfers until there's a new manager" and stalls for time to get a load on their values from the World Cup that they're all playing in (except Wanyama), and then uses the new manager to try and persuade them not to leave or get much higher values than they'd get before the tournament.

Not much you can do if every time you put out yet another statement of the exact same information, someone in the media leaks another (un)timely piece of bad news, is there?

Well Lovren's broken cover. A race between Morgan and Wanyama for the next.

Meanwhile Saints board are looking likely to be too incompetent to appoint a manager before world cup.

So rather than getting the right man we should rush and Appoint just anyone as long as they're appointed by 6pm tonight?

Not sure why the club's getting battered here, (again), players with years left on their contracts suddenly all deciding they're too good for the club, club says "no transfers until there's a new manager" and stalls for time to get a load on their values from the World Cup that they're all playing in (except Wanyama), and then uses the new manager to try and persuade them not to leave or get much higher values than they'd get before the tournament.

Not much you can do if every time you put out yet another statement of the exact same information, someone in the media leaks another (un)timely piece of bad news, is there?

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the last sentence: I'm quite sure the club would love to keep absolute silence and signal that the shop is closed until the manager is installed. Period. But unfortunately these stories keep popping up everywhere and the club is forced to act - otherwise the "vultures circling the carcass" will be trotted out... Tricky situation!

Hoping this isn't true, and remembering Guan's warning about Ashton/the Mail.

But... can't help thinking that Dejan and Fonte are apparently good buddies, and *if* we are messing Fonte around in the way it's been reported, the unhappiness with management makes more sense. Hopefully we're as on top of things as Reed claims, but if he really is talking out of his ar5e then the off the pitch stuff has been handled criminally since Spring.